Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1370845 - 02/11/10 10:45 AM The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland?
Andree Offline

Loc: Sweden
Hi,

It would be great to hear some comments about the new SuperNatural piano sound by Roland. So if you have tried it yet, share your experinces with us. Comments about the HP300-series are also welcome of course

Edited by Andree (02/11/10 01:31 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1372173 - 02/12/10 09:57 PM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: Andree]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
If it helps, here's a clip on the HP307 which has the SuperNatural piano:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL2lsQD0BwA

Greg.

#1372251 - 02/12/10 11:02 PM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: sullivang]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Better yet, someone please (please!) upload a DPBSD MP3!

I'm SuperNaturally interested in that one!

#1372257 - 02/12/10 11:07 PM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: dewster]
jmmec Offline

Loc: New Mexico (yes, USA!)
I have an HP-307 on order and it is supposed to arrive by the end of the month (we'll see), but if I can figure out how to capture the data for your DPBSD project, then I'll surely give it a shot!

Regards

https://vimeo.com/58278342

#1372287 - 02/12/10 11:49 PM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: sullivang]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: sullivang
If it helps, here's a clip on the HP307 which has the SuperNatural piano:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL2lsQD0BwA

Greg.

In that video, the hoarse-voiced gal (how many packs did she smoke that day?) says something about the key action being a "triple strike mechanism" which to me is just confusing terminology, as triple strike generally means 3 velocity layers. And saying it uses V-Piano technology just makes me scratch my head when they are discussing a sampler. Wah?

I also heard her say "no looping"! Bring it on...

The harpsichord decay sounded really looped and fake. The pianos sound nice though.

Gotta hand it to Roland, they can actually talk the talk.

#1372333 - 02/13/10 12:53 AM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: dewster]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Yeah, I noticed the triple-strike comment. I assumed they meant "triple sensor". I too like the piano sound a lot - very expressive, going from warm and mellow for soft playing to thin and metallic for forte playing.

Greg.

#1374332 - 02/15/10 02:33 AM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: sullivang]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Does anyone have a cross section of the PHA-III action we can compare to that of the latest from Yamaha and Kawai?

#1374347 - 02/15/10 02:55 AM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: dewster]
zaba19 Offline

I have the HP-307 at home, I'll try to record and upload DPBSD later this week, unless someone will do it earlier.

#1374400 - 02/15/10 05:34 AM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: zaba19]
madshi Offline

Originally Posted By: zaba19
I have the HP-307 at home, I'll try to record and upload DPBSD later this week, unless someone will do it earlier.

Great - thanks!

#1374403 - 02/15/10 05:38 AM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: madshi]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
I agree, Dewster needs to test this thing against Roland's pretty bold claims.

#1381501 - 02/23/10 08:51 PM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: EssBrace]
emeraldsoul Offline

rd-700gx supernatural piano sound - anyone received it? Can you shoot us a review? thanks,
-Tom

#1381526 - 02/23/10 09:34 PM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: emeraldsoul]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: emeraldsoul
rd-700gx supernatural piano sound - anyone received it? Can you shoot us a review?

Audio demos too!
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

#1381527 - 02/23/10 09:37 PM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: Melodialworks Music]
curt88 Offline

Isn't shipping until March 5 now. My Sweetwater dude called me this afternoon with the update.

#1381773 - 02/24/10 08:53 AM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: curt88]
surgtech Offline

Loc: USA
A few days ago I got a chance to play Roland HP-307 that has the supernatural piano sound, and I must tell you that I was very pleased. It is a big improvement from my RD-700SX.

#1381865 - 02/24/10 11:15 AM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: surgtech]
kiedysktos. Offline

Loc: Europe, Poland
Probably triple strike refers to keyboard mechanism - greater repetition.

#1381868 - 02/24/10 11:20 AM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: surgtech]
Masume Offline

Loc: Germany
I've just played it and compared it with the V-Piano. I got the impression that while the V-Piano feels much better and you can control the sound better and be more expressive, the HP 307's sound is richer and a little better. However, I still favor the V-Piano over the 307, it's just more fun to play.

#1381873 - 02/24/10 11:32 AM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: Masume]
jmmec Offline

Originally Posted By: Masume
I've just played it and compared it with the V-Piano. I got the impression that while the V-Piano feels much better...

Just curious what you mean by "feels much better" since I understand both to have the same PHAIII keyboard? [Not that I can afford v-piano, but it looks like a neat product.]

#1381880 - 02/24/10 11:50 AM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: Masume]
PianoZac Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well I own the an RD-700GX and though it's doesn't have the new PHAIII keyboard, it does have the PHAII which was/is remarkably impressive compared to what else is out, especially vs. the CP300/S-90ES/XS.
Originally Posted By: Masume
I've just played it and compared it with the V-Piano. I got the impression that while the V-Piano feels much better and you can control the sound better and be more expressive, the HP 307's sound is richer and a little better. However, I still favor the V-Piano over the 307, it's just more fun to play.

Yeah after I bought my RD-700GX last year, I went and played on the V-Piano for about an hour and a half at a local music store. I was immediately impressed with the touch and responsiveness for an electric piano. Roland has done a bang up job on it's line of digital pianos. I'm not sure the V-Piano is worth its steep price though. It should retail for $2499. They'd sell out of them for that price.

BTW, anyone know if Roland will offer the same tri-pedal set, that comes with the V-Piano, for the RD-700GX??

"Be who you are and say how you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

#1382173 - 02/24/10 06:44 PM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: jmmec]
Masume Offline

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: JMMEC

Just curious what you mean by "feels much better" since I understand both to have the same PHAIII keyboard? [Not that I can afford v-piano, but it looks like a neat product.]

I didn't mean the actual tactile response of the keyboard, I couldn't even tell the difference between PHA II and PHA III when i compared the two, I meant the V-Pianos responsiveness. How small difference in touch result in small difference in tone. I find it a bit hard to discribe. I would maybe say you're more connected to the piano and to the music it produces (I know, that sentence is nonsense, but maybe you get what I mean). You can just be more expressive and thus playing it feels different from playing other digital pianos.

#1382417 - 02/25/10 02:12 AM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: Masume]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
I agree. There is a big difference in the sense-response-sense feedback loop when playing the VPiano compared side-by-side playing the HP-307, despite both having the PHA-III keybed. Much less difference then when I play my Korg SP-200 with its on board sounds compared to connecting it to PianoTeq, but the difference is there. Also, for me, the HP-307 feels more "hollow": as if the keyboard were mounted on a folded cardboard packing box compared to the more solid feeling of the VPiano on a good stand.

#1414084 - 04/09/10 08:55 AM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: theJourney]
losthorizon777 Offline

Loc: Michigan
Does the HP-307 come with supernatural piano standard? Or do you have to get a separate card (like you would in the rd700gx)?

#1414127 - 04/09/10 10:35 AM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: losthorizon777]
jmmec Offline

Hi,

Yes, the HP-307 comes with the 'supernatural' sound, so you wouldn't have to buy anything extra.

By the way, take a look at the following website and you'll see that it indicates that a number of other products also have 'supernatural', so it is already extending beyond the HP line (e.g. DP-990F, etc...).

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productlist.php?ParentId=40

#1414140 - 04/09/10 10:56 AM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: jmmec]
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Just curious whether it is always noticable/audible that the V-Piano is fully modelled vs. the HP307 which is at least partly based on sampling. Or does this only mean that the V-Piano has more flexibility in sound sculpting? Are there any insights available that explain the technical differences in Supernatural implementation?

#1414167 - 04/09/10 11:58 AM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: TADutchman]
jmmec Offline

The v-piano provides additional configuration options for 'sound' compared to the "Piano Designer" in the HP-307 (I don't think the HP-305 or HP-301 provide access to Piano Designer).

I don't have any first-hand experience with v-piano, though. Maybe someone else can answer your specific question.

#1414182 - 04/09/10 12:17 PM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: jmmec]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Earth
Having played both the V-Piano and the HP-307, I must say the latter sounded better to me...especially the mid-range notes...still a little thin, but BIG improvement.

Snazzy

#1414237 - 04/09/10 01:43 PM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: snazzyplayer]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
I agree with Snazzy...

I've owned a V-Piano and now a Roland HP-307 and a Supernatural equipped RD-700GX. For what it's worth I marginally prefer the 307 to the RD.

The V-Piano has a phenomenal range of parameters to adjust and is a fantastically dynamic, expressive piano. However, the sound is rather processed sounding and synthetic in the mid-range. They have updated it and the update was an improvement (they added four new patches) but the basic tonal character of the thing did not really change.

I think Supernatural is effectively samples but with some modelled elements. I think the point is that the modelling is there to amend the BEHAVIOUR of the piano, not its SOUND if that makes sense. So it promises (and delivers) no audible looping or velocity layers. I assume they have some different sort of sample selection/playback technology. It is very effective.

However, the tonal character is identifiably Roland...not at all like the V-Piano to my ears, but Roland nonetheless and it is the basic tonal character of any piano that is the key to whether you like it or not.

I think the ideal product would be something using V-Piano technology (ie, pure modelling) but with a more organic sounding timbre.

Cheers,

Steve

#1414297 - 04/09/10 03:36 PM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: EssBrace]
snazzyplayer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Earth
Originally Posted By: EssBrace

owever, the tonal character is identifiably Roland...not at all like the V-Piano to my ears, but Roland nonetheless and it is the basic tonal character of any piano that is the key to whether you like it or not.

Well said, Steve, and that "tonal character" that we each look for in a digital, could be result of many things, from the pianos we grew up listening to on recordings, to the one we learned to play on, to the quality we dream of having.

I wish I could graft the HP-307 sound on to the CP-series warm CF, and have it all as simple to use, portable, and as inexpensive as a Yamaha P-155.

Of course, they way things are moving so fast these past years, with the introduction first, of sample playing, then physical modeling, and now, the various hybrids of both, we are seeing a new breed of instruments that already make using software pianos unnecessary, or at least much less an option.

The Avant Grand is exploring even more new ideas.

Already the HP-307, CP-1/5 are becoming the standards other pianos from Kawai and Korg are being measured against, and it won't be long before they catch up, and maybe even surpass the aforementioned instruments.

Certainly it will be a buyer's paradise, and all this competition is only benefiting the players, both newbies and pros.

Snazzy

#1415006 - 04/10/10 10:07 PM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: snazzyplayer]
losthorizon777 Offline

After installing the supernatural piano kit expansion board on a rd700gx, would it would very similar to a Roland HP-307?
Unfortunately i can't try out either since no one around me carries the HP-307 or a rd700gx with the expansion card installed.
The HP 307 default piano tone sounds very good ( i personally don't like the expressive grand on the rd700gx all that much....Grand RD is better in my opinion)

#1415016 - 04/10/10 10:50 PM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: losthorizon777]
jmmec Offline

I think you'll find some very useful information at the website below, with several hands-on reviews of the SN expansion card:

http://forums.rolandclan.com/?action=show_all&fid=34

#1415021 - 04/10/10 10:59 PM Re: The SuperNatural piano sound by Roland? [Re: jmmec]
losthorizon777 Offline

WOW thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai RX-2 and RX-2 BLAK
by myip
11 minutes 33 seconds ago
UVi Grand Piano, cant get the MIDI Files help?
by JungleJim
Today at 06:23 PM
Sheet Music for "The Villain"
by johnbarnesiii
Today at 06:06 PM
measuring humidity for piano?
by pianomise
Today at 05:39 PM
52" Samick
by PaulBuck
Today at 04:56 PM
Who's Online
121 registered (accordeur, 36251, ando, AEMontoya, 36 invisible), 1330 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76290 Members
42 Forums
157697 Topics
2316330 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission