Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1381795 - 02/24/10 09:29 AM Casio Celviano AP-220 VS Yamaha YDP 140
Maxime Offline

Hi all! I'm new on this forum and found it helpfull, so here's my post! I'm a new piano player and looking to buy my first DP... I got a budget of 1000$... After reading MANY review and got a lot of headaches, I put my choice on those two models

Casio Celviano AP-220 (model 2010)
Yamaha YDP-140

Both are around 1000$ tax in...

My first concern is to play piano, so I don't need a hundred options of different voices and program...

So, I know the Celviano just got out in the stores, but if someone is able to give me an opinion on my choice, let me know please!

Thanks a lot!

Edited by Maxime (02/24/10 09:55 AM)

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1381813 - 02/24/10 09:53 AM Re: Casion Celviano AP-220 VS Yamaha YDP 140 [Re: Maxime]
CyberGene Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sofia, Bulgaria
It's "Casio" not "Casion".

#1381930 - 02/24/10 12:56 PM Re: Casion Celviano AP-220 VS Yamaha YDP 140 [Re: CyberGene]
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
Maxime,
Welcome to the forum. The AP 220 replaces the AP 200. The Celviano line is about having nice looking cabinets to make the piano more home like so it can be put in a living room or other room where matching the existing decore is important. They feature the same sound engines and keybeds used in the Privia line, so the sound and touch is similar. I think they use higher quality speakers and amps in the Celviano line as these cost more. The Privia's are more of a stage piano and appeal to someone who is looking for portability and light weight, to go in a small space. Casio did enhance the PX-830 which is in a furniture style cabinet and they have textured coated the keys to look like ivory. Not sure if these are shipping in the U.S. yet, but this model is similar to the Celviano.

The Yamaha YDP-140 is a console style piano that has GHS action, which is Yamaha's cheapest action. Some people like it, and some don't as it is very light action. It's a basic model without bells and whistles. It has nice piano sound. I don't care for the light action. For a little more, you could look at the YDP 160 which uses GHE, which in my opinion, is a much better action. Make sure to play whatever you are considering buying as sound and touch are subjective. Bring a good pair of headphones to judge the sound. Both models you are looking at are good enough to start learning

Edited by galaxy4t (02/24/10 01:15 PM)

#1381943 - 02/24/10 01:20 PM Re: Casio Celviano AP-220 VS Yamaha YDP 140 [Re: Maxime]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
I think if you are learning to play piano the most important thing is the key action. All the casios have the same keys, so you may as well save some money and not pay for more than you need a PX330 or even PX130 will do as well as the more expensive casio.

With Yamaha I'd go with any model that uses the "GH" key action. That would be the P155 or YDP160 (or the CP33 if you want a stage piano.) But the YD140 uses the cheaper and lighter GHS key action.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
141 registered (angga888, accordeur, Almaviva, Alux, 45 invisible), 1483 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153617 Topics
2251475 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
5 minutes 7 seconds ago
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
7 minutes 27 seconds ago
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Today at 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
Today at 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
Today at 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission