2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
Hi,

I'm about to write my final college paper, it's like a research paper, and the subject is free, though it should tie into teaching in some way if possible. Being a pianist and music teacher, I really want to write something about music, the only problem is that I can't for the life of me come up with a question I'm curious enough to write about for 20 pages right now!

So please, if you have any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. Then hopefully I will get some inspiration to be able to create my own topic

Thanks!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
There's a great article on neuroscience and piano study in the MTNA e-Journal next month. Maybe look there for ideas?

Another idea would be to do a history of piano methods. Figure out what the trends in pedagogy are and how today's methods compare.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
I like the whole practice vs. innate talent debate (on which there has been a lot written, and it's always nice to write a research paper where there's a lot of literature out there to summarize).

Another topic might be factors associated with high levels of accomplishment as a musician. That could tangentially refer to the practice vs. talent literature as well as some others, e.g., there's studies showing that certain characteristics of teachers are important predictors of later success as a musician (warm, fuzzy teachers at the very beginning of study and stricter, more musically accomplished teachers are more important in later study).

I taught a seminar on the psychology of music last fall. Somewhere there is a thread with my reading assignments. You might pick up some ideas and/or sources to look up in it.

[edit: the search function actually functioned for me, and I found the thread; click here. ]

Last edited by Monica K.; 02/23/10 06:22 PM. Reason: found thread to link
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
While I usually encourage students to find their own topics and not rely on the suggestions of others (how do you know that what others suggest is going to interest you any more than the (uninteresting) topics you've thought of?), you might want to investigate the pros and cons of individual vs group instruction in piano or, related to that, individual instruction on an acoustic instruments vs. group instruction on digital keyboards.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Right now in Music theory we are studying Bach's Writing techniques, specifically his Chorale works.

That would be a big topic to discuss, and I find it interesting, maybe others would be too.

Im writing a 4 part chorale right now for class. Its fairly easy stuff, but you have to know a lot to follow the way Bach does
Rules are like

1) In root position, double the bass
2) In 1st inversion double the soprano or bass
3) 2nd inversion same as above
4) Smooth voice leading
-No leaps higher than a perfect 4th
-bass can leap though.
and so on

Kinda interesting, and sure makes for great music. Good thing to know when writing chorale works!

Hailun HU7P
1799 John Broadwood and son square
1800 George Astor London square
1810 Gibson and Davis New York square
1830 John Broadwood and sons square

Aeolian-Hammond BA player organ
Conn 652 theater organ
1922 Kotykiewicz two manual harmonium
1880s karn pump organ
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by davaofthekeys
Hi,

I'm about to write my final college paper, it's like a research paper, and the subject is free, though it should tie into teaching in some way if possible. Being a pianist and music teacher, I really want to write something about music, the only problem is that I can't for the life of me come up with a question I'm curious enough to write about for 20 pages right now!

So please, if you have any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. Then hopefully I will get some inspiration to be able to create my own topic

Thanks!

20 pages is how many words? And are you supposed to be doing a literature review, or some empirical research of your own? And what's the time frame?

A good suggestion will factor in these parameters.

One piece of advice - make your topic really specific so that you can cover it properly without exceeding your word limit or taking too much time.

Teacher, Composer, Writer, Speaker
Working with Hal Leonard, Alfred, Faber, and Australian Music Examination Board
Music in syllabuses by ABRSM, AMEB, Trinity Guildhall, ANZCA, NZMEB, and more
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Elissa Milne
[...]
20 pages is how many words? And are you supposed to be doing a literature review, or some empirical research of your own? And what's the time frame?

In my university days, one figured on (approximately) 250 words per typewritten page - huh? what's "a typewritten page?" you ask! Twenty pages should be around 5,000 words.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
While not directly related to piano music, I've always wanted to do a research paper on what makes certain music songs great hits. Is it the artist's voice, the lyrics, the melody, the beat or something else? For example when it comes to Hip Hop, many of the great hits have fabulous beats and melodies, but meaningless lyrics. And I'd probably add on that this means the producer, not the artist, deserves the credit (and the Grammies and what not). If you want to get all technical, maybe you can try and look for some empirical research on brain responses to musical cues. Though I do not know how to implement teaching into this topic!

If want something related specifically to piano, why not stir the controversial pot and ask if teaching theory and history results in a better musician.

"... It is a skill you go on learning all your life: the more you write, the more you learn."

Harry Freedman on the craft of composing
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
I like Monica's suggestion. My brother is a nerd and has done a thesis on whether there are certain proteins in an athlete's muscles that make them more athletic than the average human (translation from Dad).
Further to Elissa's comment about length and topic depth, my brother did all the hypotheses, experiments and research himself. Monica says there is existing research on musical propensity. 20 pages is not a lot for such a profound topic.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
5000 words disappears before you've made much of a dent in the topic at all... Choose something terribly specific and then really cover it well. If you stick to exploring existing literature rather than undertaking your own research you could cover a broader topic...

Teacher, Composer, Writer, Speaker
Working with Hal Leonard, Alfred, Faber, and Australian Music Examination Board
Music in syllabuses by ABRSM, AMEB, Trinity Guildhall, ANZCA, NZMEB, and more
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com
D
D
I remember pondering this when I had to write my music disertation in my final year at uni. I HAD to pick something that woudl interest me or writing 10,000 words was not going to be possible.

In the end I chose to write about the use of psychoactive drugs in popular music and did lots of interesting physiological research into the effects of various drugs on the brain together with analysis of common signature patterns in various genres of popular music. The dissertation was handed in together with a recording of a selection of tracks to illustrate my points (a *fantastic* compilation album)

My professor summarised the period well for me: "I think you may have taken the practical side of your research a little too seriously - but its an interesting read nonetheless. Perhaps you should think about researching it properly and doing a PhD?"

A few years after graduating I met a few other ex-students and discovered that so far my dissertation remains the only one ever to have knowingly been stolen from the university library!

The point - choose something that you dont mind reading up ALOT about and where you have half a chance of people being at least mildly interested when you talk about it and then you'll be fine. - Oh yeah - and ideally it should have at least some tenuous link back to your subject (in your case teaching)!

Parent....
Orchestral Viola player (stictly amateur)....
Hack Pianist.... (faded skills from glory days 20 yrs ago)
Vague Guitar & Bass player.... (former minor income stream 15 yrs ago)
Former conductor... (been a long time since I was set loose with a magic wand!)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD

In my university days, one figured on (approximately) 250 words per typewritten page - huh? what's "a typewritten page?" you ask! Twenty pages should be around 5,000 words.

Regards,

Those pages must have been generously marginated! I cannot compare side-by-side but I have a visual impression of a typewritten page being far more crowded than today's computerized outputs.
Yet using a word processor (eg MS word) and a standard 10 font , you get close to 400 words (with paragraphs, subtitles and double-spaced for maximal "space wasting" ). So a 20 page requirement is more substantial than first meets the eye. Most page indications will exclude references, figures, legends and footnotes from the page counts.

Originally Posted by davaofthekeys
the only problem is that I can't for the life of me come up with a question I'm curious enough to write about for 20 pages right now!
You sure you're on the right course there Buddy?

Originally Posted by Kreisler
There's a great article on neuroscience and piano study in the MTNA e-Journal next month. Maybe look there for ideas?
The Flash really sucks. I tried printing a page instead - most of the page came out solid black! I'm probably now out of ink. How does Mr Fraser manage to ingratiate himself everywhere?

I download the pdf and read it that way - much easier than the flash version.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
Perchance a link?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
You can compare different teaching methods. There are many out there, so that'll be interesting. Mainly for kids though.

I have to do that for a major paper.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
Perchance a link?

There's a button at the top of the Flash version that downloads the pdf. As far as I know, there's no direct link.

www.pianoped.com
Originally Posted by Kreisler

There's a button at the top of the Flash version that downloads the pdf.
Yeh, between share and help? They don't give me that one!

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Andromaque
Originally Posted by BruceD

Regards,

Those pages must have been generously marginated! I cannot compare side-by-side but I have a visual impression of a typewritten page being far more crowded than today's computerized outputs.
Yet using a word processor (eg MS word) and a standard 10 font , you get close to 400 words (with paragraphs, subtitles and double-spaced for maximal "space wasting" ). So a 20 page requirement is more substantial than first meets the eye. Most page indications will exclude references, figures, legends and footnotes from the page counts.

Not so much a question of margins but, rather, a question of type size. In "those days" most of the typewriters we students wrote with were in 'pica,' a 12-point font. In 12-point Times New Roman, I get 260 words per page. The same document "reduced" to 10-point yielded 403 words per page; quite a difference!

All our professors, accustomed to the more or less ubiquitous 12-point type sizes of most typewriters used then, expected and announced approximately 250 words per page.

In current usage, for 'academic' documents, is there a preference stated for a 10- or 12-point font? A difference between 5,000 and 8,000 words in a 20-page document is quite a significant difference. Perhaps word count is the standard and not number of pages unless a font size is stipulated in the latter case?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission