2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,863 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
emg Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I would really appreciate some opinions on differing advice I was given today by dealers.
I was hoping to try the Casio Privias (PX130 and 330) side-by side with the Yamaha P85. Unfortunately none of the dealers I visited had both makes on the showroom floor. In the first shop I commented on the sideways movement of the Privia keys. The dealer commented that the Yamaha was more robustly built and that he had seen that the Casio keys are embedded in a large amount of silicone grease which might mean they would become clacky in a few years's time. He said he thought the Casios were excellent for the money but that the Yamaha was better built and better for long term because parts are available for many years after production stops.

I then went to another dealer who said the sideways movement on the Casio keys is a feature intended to make it like a real acoustic. He showed me how they keys on a very expensive Baldwin grand piano had similar sideways movement. He said that Yamaha are very good but are built for precision and less acoustic-like than the Privias.
I am now completely confused as I don't know what to think about the keys. I like both the P85 and the two PX's but haven't had chance to do a side by side comparison. I would also like to try the Korg PS170, though I haven't found one to try.

I would greatly appreciate any opinion on the key issue and on other relative merits of the Privia, Yamaha and Korg.
Many thanks.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
If you know how to play, ignore the sales critter and buy the one that feels best to you. He's just huffing and puffing BS. They're all good brands but they do feel different, just like different brand acoustics feel different. I can't comment on the side movement of the keys.

If you don't know how to play I wouldn't spend much energy thinking about it, pick the least expensive one which is probably the PX and play for a year to see how you like it. You can always sell it and buy something else once you know what touch you prefer. Or buy something used to see if you like it. You can really get some deals on used gear in this economy.

I'd ignore how they sound, most DPs in that price range don't have very good speakers. Run it through your stereo, or wear headphones.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
I'd say the Privias offer a lot for not too much cash. With my PX-330 I haven't even noticed sideways movement, although I suspect it will be just like the ones you tried in the store - bottom line is that it should not affect your playing. I don't know how long it will last, but I know I'll be bored with it and want something else before five years is up.

The 130/330 piano sound is OK - not great, not bad, quite expressive.

I have not tried the Korg SP170, but its older sibling, the SP250, was a good workhorse DP that seemed well-built and had good sounds for the money. The Casio probably has a few more advanced features than either the Korgs or the Yamaha P85.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Consider if you keep your piano for some time, and then intend to sell it or trade it in, you might do best with the P-85...the Yamaha name carries a lot of respect and they are also built better than the Casio instruments.

They are easy to sell, and are usually welcomed on a trade-in.

I have a P-85 and I'm very pleased with it's performance as a gigging piano...it is very lightweight (25 lbs), and the nicely done medium weighted graded action makes it a treat to play.

It's only downfall are the speakers (they aren't awful...just a bit weak)...I fixed that by buying a Logitech Z-2300 sound system (well under $200)that easily gives it a sound better than pianos costing three times as much.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
I'd say both are correct. Yamaha does make parts available after the warranty period and they have a three year warranty vs. casio's one year. Yamaha goes have a better reputation for quality but casio has a reputation for getting a lot for the money.

Which has the most realistic key action? For that you will have to move up the Yamaha line to a P155. The P85 uses the "GHS" action and the P155 and higher use the "GH". I prefer the GH but a few people like the much lighter and lower cost GHS.

The SP170 uses a brand new key action that not many people have seen yet.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The sp170 is not in stores yet afaik; there is a Yamaha P95 coming out soon. The PX330 is a real good board - I have one and I like it. I have not noticed any sideways key movement. It has a lot of features the other boards do not have that may or may not interest you. I needed a midi out and 1/4 inch lines out. That's why I got a PX330 instead of the PX130 - I really only needed the piano sound. I do not think you can go wrong with any of these. Just get the one you want - that you like the best. In my case it didn't hurt that the price was excellent, too. This is a great time to be buying these things!

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ask yourself this: "When has the side-to-side key movement been a real advantage in playing the piano?"

My answer would be "never", so I would ignore that bit of hype.

Les C Deal

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by snazzyplayer

I have a P-85 and I'm very pleased with it's performance as a gigging piano...it is very lightweight (25 lbs), and the nicely done medium weighted graded action makes it a treat to play.

Can I ask a question here ... How do you "gig" with a p-85 I thought I read that it had no line outs ?

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Doc...the P-85 uses the headphone jack as a stereo line out...just use a Y-cord with stereo male on one end(for the piano) and two 1/4" male plugs at the other end, that go into the PA (I usually rent a Yamaha Stagepas 500) or stereo amplifier (usually a rented Traynor K4).

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission