Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1384337 - 02/27/10 09:37 PM Piano for 8 year old and 5 year old
yelkenli Offline

we are looking at pianos for our 8 year old. She plays a cheap Costco keyboard, and plays an acoustic with her teacher once per week. She has made it through a couple of the beginner books and recitals. We are hoping she continues for a few more years (best hope is she enjoys it for life).

She particularly likes to change the 'voices' on her keyboard. she will play her songs in all different voices.

Her teacher mentioned that she needs a keyboard that can play forte and piano, and we have read and heard from dealers that a key action similar to an acoustic is important.

We hope her younger brother will also play.

My question is to all of you, what is your recommendation given the above.

We have looked at Clavinova (maybe lowest end keyboard) (at $2,100) and the Kawai CP31/32 and CA series (at $2,000 and $3,600 respectively), and an acoustic (chinese made with Italian name) for $3,000.

we are comfortable spending in this price range.

We have read that the digital pianos will delay skill development, but not sure if the writers are talking Julliard skill level or any skill level, or what.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I have read through the forum, but did not see this question. if there is an existing thread, please post and I will look at it.

Thanks

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1384480 - 02/28/10 01:51 AM Re: Piano for 8 year old and 5 year old [Re: yelkenli]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: yelkenli
we are looking at pianos for our 8 year old. She plays a cheap Costco keyboard, and plays an acoustic with her teacher once per week. She has made it through a couple of the beginner books and recitals. We are hoping she continues for a few more years (best hope is she enjoys it for life).

She particularly likes to change the 'voices' on her keyboard. she will play her songs in all different voices.

Her teacher mentioned that she needs a keyboard that can play forte and piano, and we have read and heard from dealers that a key action similar to an acoustic is important.

We hope her younger brother will also play.

My question is to all of you, what is your recommendation given the above.

We have looked at Clavinova (maybe lowest end keyboard) (at $2,100) and the Kawai CP31/32 and CA series (at $2,000 and $3,600 respectively), and an acoustic (chinese made with Italian name) for $3,000.

we are comfortable spending in this price range. s

What you really care about is the yek action inside the piano. Yamaha for example makes only about two or three actions and then uses then in a dozen or more pianos. The action is the low end Clavinova is called "GH". This same action is also used in the Yammaha P155, YDP140 and others. You can guy a YDP160 for $1,300. "Clavinova" is a line of Pianos sold through piano dealers and the prices are kept high to keep the dealers happy. The YDP series is sold through mass market retailers and on line and competition keep the prices low. The lines overlap. Kawai does the same. Places like Sam Ash will have Kawai and Yamaho and Roland.

Try out the various pianos they have and note with key actions they have. At your price point (well over $1K) all of them are good but it is a matter of preference and they are quite different. You need to play a Roland "PHA II" action, a Yamaha GH and the kawais. You can sped $3,600 if you like but you can find pianos for half that price that use the same key actions.

One more thing each of the three brands has it's own sound. You will have to listen long enough to find out which you like.

#1384521 - 02/28/10 03:37 AM Re: Piano for 8 year old and 5 year old [Re: yelkenli]
Volusiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: yelkenli
We have read that the digital pianos will delay skill development, but not sure if the writers are talking Julliard skill level or any skill level, or what.

If you buy a DP in the $3000 range and choose the keyboard action wisely, I wouldn't worry about a DP holding your kids back on skill development at the beginner and even intermediate level. I would worry more about impeding how much they can practice if you get an acoustic, if it holds them back from being able to practice as much as they can due to the noise issue. To me, the convenience and practicality of having a volume control on the piano is underrated, especially in a family environment.

By the time they get good enough to outgrow the DP and want to get an acoustic, I'm sure you'll be glad to get them an acoustic by then so you can enjoy listening to the beautiful music your children make, too.

#1384523 - 02/28/10 03:38 AM Re: Piano for 8 year old and 5 year old [Re: ChrisA]
aristharcus Offline

Loc: Oviedo, Spain
I would get a GH3 action keyboard from Yamaha or similar. Model CLP-330 has it and I find it a bargain well under 1,500$. Your sons will be able to play and learn on it along years.

From my point of view, models 330 and 340 are the sweet spots in the entire line of the CLP series.
Chopin’s Nocturne Op.9 No.2 (final polishing)
Chopin’s Nocturne Op.27 No.1 (about 25% of it)
Chopin’s Waltz Op.69 No.2 (about 15% of it)

#1384602 - 02/28/10 08:03 AM Re: Piano for 8 year old and 5 year old [Re: aristharcus]
mucci Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Munich, Germany
I for myself love the keyboard action of the CA63 / CA93 and prefer it over both Roland and Yamaha. But again: You might have your own preferences, so don't take my word for granted, try it for yourself!

#1384629 - 02/28/10 09:05 AM Re: Piano for 8 year old and 5 year old [Re: mucci]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: ChrisA
What you really care about is the yek action inside the piano.
That describes the action in my old upright ... yek!!! smile

#1386737 - 03/02/10 06:10 PM Re: Piano for 8 year old and 5 year old [Re: MacMacMac]
yelkenli Offline

These are great recommendations. I looked through the literature and see the similarities in action. I put these in table format to keep everything straight

Kawai
CN22 AHA IV F
CN32 AHA IV F
CN42 AHA IV F
CA51 AWA PROII
CE 200 AWA PROII
MP5 AHA IV

Yamaha
CLP320 GH
CLP330 GH3
CLP340 GH3
CLP370 Natural Wood w/Syn Ivory Keytops
YDP-S31 GHS
YDP - 160 GHE (better than GHS)
YDP - 140 GHS
YDP - 223 GHE (better than GHS)

Roland
HPi-6s HPA II
HPi-7s HPA II
RP101 PHA alpha II
RP302 PHAII w/Escapement
DP series PHAII w/Escapement
F110 PHA alpha II
LX10 PHAII w/Escapement w/Ivory

Some variations such as GH, GHS, GH3, etc. Does anyone have idea of magnitude of difference? in Kawai, the AWA is a larger wooden key, and AHA is a shorter, older generation action from what I can tell.

what is the difference between 'voices, 'polyphony' and 'tones'? e.g. polyphony: 128 or 64; I have also seen Max polyphony: 128 Voices. and Tones: 461. I am interested in knowing how many different sounds the kids can play. or is this focused on the quality of the sound made? The Yamaha and Kawai literature indicates, for example 10 voices, then states 64 or 128 for polyphony. Roland indicates '128 voices' for polyphony.

Need to look at prices and listen to sound.

Any other recommendations or comments would be great.

#1386767 - 03/02/10 06:37 PM Re: Piano for 8 year old and 5 year old [Re: yelkenli]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Quote:
Some variations such as GH, GHS, GH3, etc. Does anyone have idea of magnitude of difference?

GHS is a much lighter action. The GH is noticable different. GH3 is mechanically the same as GH but has some other sensor. I'd say get any Yamaha with GH or above

Same for Roland. The "Aplha" is like GHS. Get any roland with PHA II (not alpha) or beter.

Both Kawai key action are good.

(But then a few people like the lighter GHS and Alpha II keys. So there is no way out. You have toplay each of them but at least there are far fewer key actions then pianos to try.)

Quote:
what is the difference between 'voices, 'polyphony' and 'tones'? e.g. polyphony: 128 or 64; I have also seen Max polyphony: 128 Voices. and Tones: 461. I am interested in knowing how many different sounds the kids can play.

Tones or voices means things like piano sounds or organs, harpsichords or guitar sounds.

'polyphony' is the number of notes that can be played at the same time. You'd think "I only have ten fingers" but the pedal allows you to play a lot of notes all at once. 64 is enough for most but 128 is a better number.

Edited by ChrisA (03/02/10 07:42 PM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
102 registered (AndrewJCW, Anticlock, accordeur, 33 invisible), 1402 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156079 Topics
2291972 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
4/4 measure in 3/4 time?
by caters
5 minutes 26 seconds ago
Mac mini for software pianos?
by Mta88
5 minutes 30 seconds ago
Installed an LX system on my Baldwin C
by SpectrumMan
Today at 12:04 AM
Join the false-beat revolution: get your wires straight!!!
by A443
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
What brand of solid string to use?
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission