2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
In modern terminology as in the refinishing industry,the term refers to making it black. If the piano was originally black,it is a given that the piano should stay black. There are times whereas some owner in the piano's history might have refinished the piano in a wood finish. In most cases original ebonized pianos do not have a veneer consistency throughout. In that the piano was black it would not look good with different veneers on various parts of the piano.
When a piano was ebonized in the old days,even after you strip the piano,it will still be black. If one wanted some wood tone finish one wouldd have to bleach the wood to rid the black. Not advisable in the long term. Bleach is not a good thing for wood or anything except maybe doing your whites at the laundrymat. grin

Last edited by pianobroker; 03/01/10 08:36 PM.

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Actually a high end ebony satin finish is more difficult to do than a satin wood finish. Of course the exception being if the wood finish cabinet is thrashed with multiple gouges and veneer damage. Imperfections on a wood satin finish piano is technically less visible than on a black piano. wink

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I heard that on some pianos that are painted black (older ones) That if you strip it to try and make a wood finish, you may be fairly disappointed, as some used many different unmatched woods, therefor, making the piano multicolored! :S

Hailun HU7P
1799 John Broadwood and son square
1800 George Astor London square
1810 Gibson and Davis New York square
1830 John Broadwood and sons square

Aeolian-Hammond BA player organ
Conn 652 theater organ
1922 Kotykiewicz two manual harmonium
1880s karn pump organ
C
OP Offline
C
I would think that it would be, being all one solid color. You can see any inconsistencies, whereas on a wood grain satin model you already have the inconsistencies to mask it.

So, do they stain it black then coat with finish of whatever type is appropriate? Or do they paint? I've always wondered about how they actually go about doing it, I hope that somebody can reveal it, and that it's not trade secrets.

Ok, how about this: I've seen pictures of what is advertised as satin black but the underside of the lid is polished mirror-like, I suppose to reflect the bright shinyness of the golden plate and strings. How common is that, and is it only done on certain tiers of piano? I can't remember off hand what make I saw it in.

I know that these are a bunch of stupid questions, but you guys seem to have all of the answers so I figure that I might as well keep going. Maybe I'll learn something. Please let me know if it gets annoying.

Thanks,
James

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ebonizing is staining black then laquering over. Original evonized pianos, when stripped, frequently show mismatched vineers because they could.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by James Scott
I would think that it would be, being all one solid color. You can see any inconsistencies, whereas on a wood grain satin model you already have the inconsistencies to mask it.

So, do they stain it black then coat with finish of whatever type is appropriate? Or do they paint? I've always wondered about how they actually go about doing it, I hope that somebody can reveal it, and that it's not trade secrets.

Ok, how about this: I've seen pictures of what is advertised as satin black but the underside of the lid is polished mirror-like, I suppose to reflect the bright shinyness of the golden plate and strings. How common is that, and is it only done on certain tiers of piano? I can't remember off hand what make I saw it in.

I know that these are a bunch of stupid questions, but you guys seem to have all of the answers so I figure that I might as well keep going. Maybe I'll learn something. Please let me know if it gets annoying.

Thanks,
James
In this day and age there are numerous approaches /methods to doing an ebony satin finish. Back in the stoneage,actually not that long ago,I've heard persons french polishing an entire piano in a week. Think about it...What kind of coverage could one get, hand staining a black / ebony piano. The majority of piano finishes with the exception of oak,pecan or ? are a closed pore finish.In the past and present,one still needs to seal the pores. The traditional way was with sanding sealer followed by multiple color or clears coats sanded and rubbed out with steel wool,abrasive pads,pumus,ajax or ? In modern times many use a poly /primer coat to initially fill the pores before or after coloring the piano.

In an ebony satin finish whether using lacquer,polyurethane or polyester we always shoot the color coat followed by multiple clear coats.In essance we rub out the clear coat not the black colorcoat. That way you get that reflective quality in a hand rubbed satin finish. That was a crude and concise explanation of an ebony satin finish! grin

On the underside of the lid ,many may claim that they are doing something over and beyond the call of duty in making it highgloss but in reality one does not have to colorsand the underside and rub it out.If the factory is at higher efficiency doing high gloss polyester than they'll do it. Confusing huh!

Last edited by pianobroker; 03/02/10 03:41 AM.

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
W
W

Last edited by Weed; 12/05/12 01:47 AM.
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
What would be the best year range to get?

If the piano is old and has been rebuilt, the only thing "Steinway" about it may be the plate, the rim, and the decal on the fallboard.

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Weed
Based on some of your comments on this thread and that the piano is in Phoenix I thought you might be interested.
Hello Andy. If you check the dates on this thread, you will see it is over 2.5 years old. Advertising in the classifieds is good. Dragging your classified ad into a forum thread is not the same.

Otherwise, welcome.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
W
W
Sorry Sam.
Not familiar with forum etiquette.

As you can see I have deleted my previous comment.
A.W.

S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Weed
Sorry Sam.
Not familiar with forum etiquette.

As you can see I have deleted my previous comment.
A.W.

No problem...and welcome to the piano Forum.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

T
T
I have a Hamburg "B" from 1967. Original action, no teflon.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Furtwangler
Maybe look for a 1927.

That was a pretty good year for New York as I recall. smile

Dear Furtwangler,

pls. specify: would you opt for the last versions with Appalachian white spruce soundboard, or opt for the first versions with Sitka spruce from Alaska ranges?
;-)

Last edited by BerndAB; 12/05/12 09:03 PM.

Pls excuse any bad english.

Centennial D Sept 1877

Working on Berceuse op.57
Nocturnes op. 9-1,3 15-1,2,3 27-2 32-1,2
Going Home (Mark Knopfler)
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
There is another "issue" related to building years besides of the "Teflon rocky horror picture show"..

:P

I don't know the exact years of production. In years around the 30ies?, 40ies? 50ies? Steinway used in their grand mechanisms, flanges, repetitions axes/wires with a galvanized copper overlay to protect the steel wire against corrosion.

..and what happened? Not the steel but the copper corroded.. ..

"vertigris".

The forces needed to lift a hammer increase, to lift a repetition, et cetera.

I bought a set of hammers and another set of repetitions both w. vertigris, obviosly extracted at the New York plant, and some clever guys had picked it out of the scap box - to sell it on ebay.. ;-)

Vertigris also to be checked and avoided.

Pls excuse any bad english.

Centennial D Sept 1877

Working on Berceuse op.57
Nocturnes op. 9-1,3 15-1,2,3 27-2 32-1,2
Going Home (Mark Knopfler)
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by BerndAB
Originally Posted by Furtwangler
Maybe look for a 1927.

That was a pretty good year for New York as I recall. smile

Dear Furtwangler,

pls. specify: would you opt for the last versions with Appalachian white spruce soundboard, or opt for the first versions with Sitka spruce from Alaska ranges?
;-)

Just my idea of a little humor Bernd

The New York Yankees (with Babe Ruth) in 1927 had great success including winning the World Series of baseball.

This team is widely considered to be the best baseball team ever

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Verdigris is not uncommon in any brand of piano. It is not unique to Steinway.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I have just purchased a 1912 Steinway Model A II - it has been expertly restored and plays better than any Steinway I have ever played. In fact it's built as sturdy as a Steinway but plays as smoothly as a Mason & Hamlin.
I believe because they replaced the Action and the Hammers with RENNER Brand/Renner Blue Hammers.

As Sam knows my favorite sounding Steinway I have ever heard is a 1896 Model A II that PianoWorks meticulously/expertly restored - Derek Vann plays Clair de Lune -- THIS is what a GREAT Steinway is supposed to truly sound like.

SAM: I have to tell you something. I just had my Model A fine tuned in my home after a few weeks by Keith F. - that evening I decided to play the Pianoworks Video of Derek playing on the Model A. Well I decided to play along and at times I couldn't tell which piano was which.
I was so excited to hear that my Model A - sounded almost identical to what I felt was the best sounding Steinway I ever heard.

This is all my opinion but at this point, that is what counts in my music room! LOL

had to repost again!

Last edited by brdwyguy; 06/12/21 08:13 AM.

1961-1964: Emerson Upright
1969-1992: Westbrook Spinet
1992-2021: Schomacker B (1912) "Schoowie"
2021-Present: Steinway Model A (1912) "Amalia"

To Listen to my Music is to know me. To know me all you need do is listen to my music.
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Hi Joey
I hope most piano owners feel the brand, model, year in their living room is the best—- at least, the best we could afford and have a suitable space for. That should be the goal when buying a piano.

It’s great to hear you are so pleased—- time to work on Rhapsody in Blue 😊

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Original thread is from 2010...

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Eleven more vintages to enter into the survey.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission