2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by Norbert

Mr. Cohen's title, according to his own signature and Piano Buyer listings on page 2, is "Advertising Director" and "Contributing Editor"

It's the "Co-editor" that carries - at least in my mind - a very special responsibility for fairness, independence and neutrality.
The first sentence says "contributing editor". The very next one says "co-editor" which not only changes the word but IMO implies equality with Larry Fine as an editor. This seems completely illogical.

Not only illogical, but an outright falsehood. I am not, a co-editor, nor have I ever claimed to be. That invention was Norbert's.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AJB

My own very personal view, is that piano buyer is a somewhat less independent publication that it was. It is perceptibly less frank and I would be more inclined to question whether it is telling me the whole story these days. This is of course just a personal view and others may well hold a different opinion.

I guess you feel that at some point Piano Buyer or one of its predecessors was giving you the whole story. That doesn't really square with your expressed opinions of Fine publications in the past. I doubt from anything you've said in the past that you've ever based a purchase (or accepted free loan grin) of a piano based on Fine's take.

The man has said in his opening remarks that he welcomes his role as a GUIDE rather than a CRITIC and that Piano Buyer has a different thrust and different purpose from his earlier publications. Your arguments are always carefully structured, but Fine's opening remarks in Pianobuyer are far more impressive, to the point, and pertinent to an understanding of what Piano Buyer purports to do.

The publication exists because of ad revenue. It will succeed or not succeed based on content. Fresh content is on the immediate horizon. You're jumping the gun.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by theJourney
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
Originally Posted by Nick Mauel
Perhaps Steinway will consider purchasing an advertisement.

Spring 2010 (out in a week or so) - Page 12 wink

Well! There you have it!

The decision of Fine, Cohen et al to soften the critique of Steinway was a commercially sound one for the publication.

If Steinway continues to advertise and commits to multiple pages for multiple years, then the sky is the limit on how they can improve their ratings!

Quid pro quo.

Ain't the America way great?

No worries, Journey, this statement did not make it into the Piano Buyer from the last full edition of the Piano Book:
“Although the reviews in this book tend, by their nature, to highlight the problem areas, my sense is that most technicians feel that Steinway grands, properly serviced, are among the best-performing pianos- if not THE best- made.” (p.146)

Well, that could complicate the story....

Remember it's not just what is said; it's what is NOT said as well.

Online Content
Originally Posted by AJB
My own very personal view, is that piano buyer is a somewhat less independent publication that it was. It is perceptibly less frank and I would be more inclined to question whether it is telling me the whole story these days. This is of course just a personal view and others may well hold a different opinion.

I am extemely familiar with the Piano Supplements for the last ten years at least. I am extremely familiar with the last two editions of The Piano Book and the Piano Buyer. I see nothing in the PB that indicates it's "perceptibly less frank" than ealrier editions of the Bupplement or Piano Book.

I don't think even a single example of this has been given on this thread. The one example about the review of NY Steinway referred to two editions of the Supplement and was easily explained by Fine's statement that quality control was improving.

I think it's silly to expect that the phrasing of each review to be exactly the same every time. This would assume that the opinions of the people giving those reviews to Larry Fine and Fine's own opinion have to remain fixed. It would also assume the same collection of people are responsible for the input on each piano for every edition.

(He also invented what he said about 'cars and other big-ticket items.' You didn't have to concede on that.)

S
OP Offline
S
Let me put the advertising issue in perspective:

The single biggest asset Piano Buyer has is Larry Fine and his reputation. (I know I'll be personally attacked on this, and could, in advance name those who will do so, and what they are going to say!)

The cost of a full-page ad in Piano Buyer to multi-issue advertisers is relatively inexpensive.

Would we jeopardize Larry's reputation by "accommodating" an advertiser for such an insignifcant amount?

Give me a break!!!

www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Maryland/DC/No. VA

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
AJB set out the conflict of interest issue very well. The idea that there has to be a bleeding body or smoking gun is simply wrong. It's a matter of protecting against the thousands of small and not so small ways that decisions can be affected consciously or unconsciously at every point in an evaluation process as I wrote before-- ranging from whose opinions are sought, how the questions are worded and interpreted, how they are weighted, wording choices, etc. Credibility as an independent rating source depends on maintaining the appearance as well as the reality of independence from the entities that stand to benefit from the ratings. This has been the elephant in the room all along since the Piano Buyer appeared.

Sophia

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

Well! There you have it!

The decision of Fine, Cohen et al to soften the critique of Steinway was a commercially sound one for the publication.

If Steinway continues to advertise and commits to multiple pages for multiple years, then the sky is the limit on how they can improve their ratings!

Quid pro quo.

1. Wasn't NY Steinway downgraded in the last tiered rating system in the Piano Buyer?
2. Has NY Steinway quality control/finished instruments improved in the past few years? The technician I respect most seems to think that the current new crop of NY S&S are the best he's ever seen in his lifetime. How many NY S&S pianos do you get to play over there?
3. Isn't S&S and their affiliated dealers one of the largest advertisers in all musical publications in the US? Local, state, and national music teachers organizations, industry publications, etc. etc.

Your "conspiracy theory" seems weak at best based when put in perspective. Yes, I'm an apologist...

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
I assume that when Norbert or others make reference to a co-editor they are abbreviating your title from contributing to co.

Exactly, not very hard to figure out...

Everybody can understand what a "Director for Advertising" is.

But "Contributing editor"? Is this a secret?

Or is this part of it:

Larry and Me.

That's what we were doing at NAMM. You should remember, you were there right next to us as we interviewed Indrek on updating our Estonia information for their profile..

Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 03/02/10 12:22 PM.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by terminaldegree

1. Wasn't NY Steinway downgraded in the last tiered rating system in the Piano Buyer?
2. Has NY Steinway quality control/finished instruments improved in the past few years? The technician I respect most seems to think that the current new crop of NY S&S are the best he's ever seen in his lifetime. How many NY S&S pianos do you get to play over there?

So you're saying that while Steinway quality improved, they got downgraded in Piano Buyer. Maybe if they had purchased an ad they wouldn't have been smacked down.

I don't think this is the case at all, but this is a perfect example of the can of worms that gets opened when advertising revenue comes into play.

So perhaps the answer is indeed that the best way to change the ratings of pianos is to have no rating. Keep the Piano Book style descriptions and prices of pianos along with good articles about pianos and shopping for them. That would remove any idea of conflict of interest, no?

Gary
AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Turandot

I follow your perspective. (And you are right, I didn't consult piano buyer about whether the free loan was a good idea ;-). I think my points have become diluted by discourse. My starting point and where I still am:

1 Mr Cohen is obviously and blatantly conflicted
2 There appears to be favouritism in favour of Mr Cohen and piano buyer and this favour is not extended to other dealers
3 It was inappropriate for the moderator to remove several posts when Mr Cohen complained
4 Mr Cohen's editorial title suggests he edits and is therefore a content decision maker.
5 The co-editor / contributing-editor terminology is mere semantics that Mr Cohen could resolve personally by not calling himself an editor
6 I do not think it is appropriate for Mr Cohen to be permitted to make constant references to piano buyer in a generic way (with no reference to post specific guidance) when other dealers are castigated for brand promotion and breaching pw "rules".

I wonder how other advertisers feel now that they have learnt that there is a no cost reciprocal advertising arrangement between piano buyer and piano world? Does everyone get this benefit?

If they don't, then it must be a bit galling, especially when a dealer is allowed to promote pb constantly in threads.

Kind regards

Adrian

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
Originally Posted by Gary Schenk
.....So perhaps the answer is indeed that the best way to change the ratings of pianos is to have no rating.....

Here's the problem: People LIKE ratings.

This has been seen in other venues also. Here's a couple:

The (great) baseball writer and analyst, Bill James, at first just wrote theoretical pieces about his ideas. He had trouble getting them published. He was told that what people want to see is ratings and rankings -- take his ideas and show how players and teams would rank. That worked -- and over time, his ideas caught on.

And there's also this familiar notorious thing: music competitions.
We're fond of saying that competitions are stupid and destructive, who needs them. Yet, when the organizations put on festivals that are just "celebrations," with no competition and no ranking, somehow we're not nearly as interested.

People like ratings.

Online Content
Originally Posted by terminaldegree

Well! There you have it!

Quid pro quo.
3. Isn't S&S and their affiliated dealers one of the largest advertisers in all musical publications in the US? Local, state, and national music teachers organizations, industry publications, etc. etc.

Your "conspiracy theory" seems weak at best based when put in perspective. Yes, I'm an apologist...

There were different rating systems in the PB and the Supplement that immediately preceeded it. NY Steinway was not downgraded in the PB.

In the Supplement, NY Steinway was rated in Tier 1C and in the PB it was in 2A(the highest level in Group 2). But since the PB Tier 1 didn't have A,B, and C levels and Tier 1 in the PB included the pianos in Tier 1A from the most recent Supplement, there was no downgrading. Most or all of the piano in Tier 1B and 1C in recent Supplement were moved to Tier 2A in the PB.

I think this is an example how misinformation or lack of complete understanding can be harmful.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 03/02/10 03:03 PM.
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Gary Schenk
[quote=terminaldegree]

So perhaps the answer is indeed that the best way to change the ratings of pianos is to have no rating. Keep the Piano Book style descriptions and prices of pianos along with good articles about pianos and shopping for them. That would remove any idea of conflict of interest, no?

There would still be the possibility to "damn with faint praise."

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AJB
I wonder how other advertisers feel now that they have learnt that there is a no cost reciprocal advertising arrangement between piano buyer and piano world? Does everyone get this benefit?

If they don't, then it must be a bit galling, especially when a dealer is allowed to promote pb constantly in threads.

At the risk of starting up yet another firestorm, yes, it is a bit galling, and no, its not a good feeling.

IMHO, Frank has the absolute right to make any type of arrangements he wishes with individual advertisers. But to announce the arrangement between PB & PW publicly on the forum is distressing to an advertiser who has and is paying for advertising here all the while not being able to self-promote in threads.

This is my opinion only, I don't presume to speak for others.

Nancy Fanzlaw
Seamstress for the Band

www.FortePianoGallery.com
Forte' on Facebook

"The piano was God's gift to music." Lou Mason

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by M.O.P.
Originally Posted by AJB

At the risk of starting up yet another firestorm, yes, it is a bit galling, and no, its not a good feeling.

IMHO, Frank has the absolute right to make any type of arrangements he wishes with individual advertisers. But to announce the arrangement between PB & PW publicly on the forum is distressing to an advertiser who has and is paying for advertising here all the while not being able to self-promote in threads.

Piano Buyer gets thousands of unique visitors online every month, and is growing. The overwhelming majority of those readers are acutely interested in pianos and many do not know about Piano World. Piano World gets significant traffic by advertising in Piano Buyer.

I am sure Frank would be glad to discuss ads swaps with other sites that provide the same number and as well-targeted a reader as Piano Buyer does.

If M.O.P. has that kind of draw, let Frank know. But, no one should be galled by this swap unless they have the same advantages to offer.

www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Maryland/DC/No. VA

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
Originally Posted by M.O.P.
Originally Posted by AJB

Piano Buyer gets thousands of unique visitors online every month, and is growing. The overwhelming majority of those readers are acutely interested in pianos and many do not know about Piano World. Piano World gets significant traffic by advertising in Piano Buyer.

I am sure Frank would be glad to discuss ads swaps with other sites that provide the same number and as well-targeted a reader as Piano Buyer does.

If M.O.P. has that kind of draw, let Frank know. But, no one should be galled by this swap unless they have the same advantages to offer.

As always, this answer has nothing to do with potential piano consumers other than seeing them as gullible marks to be taken advantage of by undisclosed, mafiosi arrangements.

I don't understand why the question is suddenly shifting to P.W.

Frank is not a "Contributing Editor" of *Piano Buyer* - he is the owner of this website.

He does not take swings at other members and has never expressed his preferences 'for' or 'against' certain makes.

He does sell stuff but it has nothing to do with piano brands or 'ratings'

Frank has been a most gracious host and should be completely left out of the discussion.

The basic question was 'ratings' and if and to which extent Mr. Cohen is personally involved in this as "Contributing Editor" of Piano Buyer.

Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 03/02/10 02:42 PM.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AJB

I think my points have become diluted by discourse. My starting point and where I still am:

No, I read you loud and clear. Realitically, to accomplish the changes you want, you will need to exchange your seat among the bored for a seat on the Board here. Good luck with that!

Adrian and Nancy,

Pianobuyer gets a free ticket here. MOP gets a free ride. AJB get a free ride. turandot gets a free ride. It's all FREEEEEEEEEE!!! grin

Frank's largesse exceeds his business sense. grin

Nancy, At $196 for a multi-issue PB ad, how can you go wrong? grin

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I disagree. Frank has unfortunately involved himself by:

a) allowing moderators to delete posts that don't suit Steve Cohen
b) allowing Steve Cohen to advertise piano buyer indiscriminately in his posts, even though Steve has a vested interest in PB advertising revenue among other things
c) revealing that there is a no-cost reciprocal advertising deal (that Steve has felt it necessary to defend) that other dealers do not benefit from.

But I do agree that the central issue is Mr Cohen's conflict of interest.

And the fact that this calls into further question (along with the obvious advertising aspect) the independence of piano buyer.

Adrian

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission