2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
W

A question for the jazz players or improvisers. Do pianists approach things differently than a single note instruments?

I think we have more on our plate as we have to be aware of the harmony meshing with the melody at the same time. And we are the only instrument that can play 5-10 notes at once.

It must be much easier for any horn or string player who only needs to play 1 note at a time, not worrying about clashing dissonance.

I have been listening to alot of Miles Davis and other jazzers who aren't pianists, and how they approach their improvs. Here's one by the real Kenny G(arrett), have a listen:

http://www.smashbeats.com/v1238291/kenny_garrett_saxofon_solo

F
F
It's certainly different when it comes to reading, that is for sure. I grew up playing violin, and when I switched to guitar and had to learn to play more than a single note at time, it was tough, but only really from a finer dexterity standpoint (manipulating my hands into all sorts of contorted positions), because I was playing everything by ear and the music was fairly simple (basic rock and blues). Later, when I actually learned to read for guitar, and started into classical guitar lessons, it was much tougher. Who could ever think about 3, maybe 4 notes at once!?

It wasn't until I began piano lessons that I truly understood what the term "multitasking" meant. Good lord - how can you ever make sense of all those stacked notes? And what's with that weird clef down below? :-)

As far as improv goes, I don't think there's all that much of a difference. The left hand seems to go on autopilot after a while, and then you're just left with thinking about lines on the right hand.

Comping, on the other hand...well, besides guitar, not many other instruments comp.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Absolutely. I play bass as well as keyboard. I play more blues (on both bass and keyboard) than jazz but I have sat in with my bass on a few jazz jams and have had no problem following charts and putting down a good bass line. I am not ready to play keyboard in a jazz jam yet because there is just too much to think about and my playing is not yet at that level.

One nice thing about the bass is that you are in the best position of any instrument to listen to the whole band because you are in a different area of the sonic spectrum. I've sat in with my bass on jams where really good players had showed up from out of town and I felt privileged to be on the same stage as them and I was verry happy to only have to play one line.

Playing blues is a different story to jazz because the progressions are much simpler and I much prefer to play a keyboard and be more in the foreground.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission