Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1386954 - 03/02/10 11:30 PM Re: Piano Student, playing piano and playing a band instrume [Re: Betty Patnude]
Lollipop Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia
To add a bit to the college scholarship question:

One college respresentative told us that they just don't know which instruments will be plentiful in any particular year. Some years, it seems they have all violas. The next year, everyone plays clarinet. We discovered several schools along the way that seemed a bit short on violins. My daughter was awarded scholarship money for violin at 4 different universities. This was not her intended major; the money was offered because they needed violinists in their orchestra.

Obviously, if you are intent on being a performer, you want the strongest program you can get into. So does everyone else, so competition will be intense, and the money may not follow. And music kids applying to Ivy League schools (which don't give scholarships) don't have much of an edge, either - that is a very common pursuit of Ivy-caliber kids.

But a high level of competency on an instrument - any instrument (there's a school in Ohio that likes bagpipes!) - can translate into scholarship if you are flexible enough to consider schools that need you.

If you are serious about hoping for scholarship money, my recommendation is to choose a versatile instrument that the student likes, buy or rent a decent instrument, and invest in some private lessons. Just like with piano.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1387081 - 03/03/10 08:03 AM Re: Piano Student, playing piano and playing a band instrume [Re: John v.d.Brook]
C.Y. Offline

Originally Posted By: John v.d.Brook

A college of music, within the university, may need certain instrumentalists to fill out their student orchestra. Those are most likely to receive financial grants.

If this orchestra has 20 violins and there are 40 students major in violin, I assume the top 20 students will be in this orchestra and receiving financial grants?

How about piano major students? Since there is only one piano in an orchestra, what kind of financial grants a piano major student could get? PianoDad's son is probably one of the top pianists in his age group and PianoDad seems to hope to get scholarship from French horn? And if he does, does it mean PianoSon needs to major in horn and minor in piano?

#1387084 - 03/03/10 08:11 AM Re: Piano Student, playing piano and playing a band instrume [Re: Lollipop]
C.Y. Offline

Originally Posted By: Lollipop
And music kids applying to Ivy League schools (which don't give scholarships) don't have much of an edge, either - that is a very common pursuit of Ivy-caliber kids.

I was hoping it might help on the college (non-music) application. So even you are in the all state orchestra or winning some competitions won't help at all?

#1387087 - 03/03/10 08:15 AM Re: Piano Student, playing piano and playing a band instrume [Re: C.Y.]
Lollipop Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia
Originally Posted By: C.Y
If this orchestra has 20 violins and there are 40 students major in violin, I assume the top 20 students will be in this orchestra and receiving financial grants?

I doubt it. If there are that many violins, they don't need to give scholarships. Just because you are in the orchestra does not mean you get a scholarship. In my D's case, I think there are only about 11-14 violins total. The money is used to attract more.

Quote:
How about piano major students? Since there is only one piano in an orchestra, what kind of financial grants a piano major student could get?

A excellent collaborative piano student might well get a scholarship, with expectation that he/she participate in chamber music or be available for accompanying. As for other piano students, it depends upon what the school needs. Do they need to fill up the piano studio? Otherwise, I doubt playing the piano will directly = money. Usually music departments have x number of dollars that they have to share. Committee meetings are held as various studio teachers argue for the students they want. A studio that has many applicants is not going to be able to get a large share of the money, unless there is someone truly outstanding.

Quote:
PianoDad's son is probably one of the top pianists in his age group and PianoDad seems to hope to get scholarship from French horn? And if he does, does it mean PianoSon needs to major in horn and minor in piano?

Good horn players are hard to come by. Good pianists less so. A scholarship might well be associated with his willingness to participate in orchestra, but not necessarily to major in music. In my daughter's case, she applied as a non-major, and they told her they would up the offer if she would consider majoring. Since she was "undecided" as her major anyway, she decided to give it a try.

#1387105 - 03/03/10 08:48 AM Re: Piano Student, playing piano and playing a band instrume [Re: Lollipop]
John_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, UK
The following link shows the number of entries, by instrument, for the ABRSM grade exams during 2009.

It gives some perspective to the popularity of various instruments though it gives no indication of the grades involved.

http://www.abrsm.org/?page=press/factfile/instrument.html

#1387136 - 03/03/10 09:25 AM Re: Piano Student, playing piano and playing a band instrume [Re: John_B]
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Quote:
PianoDad seems to hope to get scholarship from French horn? And if he does, does it mean PianoSon needs to major in horn and minor in piano?

Piano*Dad just hopes that eldest son wants to continue his music participation in some fashion when he gets to the university level. At this point, Piano*Son has no interest in a music concentration. I suspect history, international relations, economics, or some other social science will command his attention. Music may wind up being a 'minor' or merely an extracurricular pursuit. That's fine with me.

But, .... there is always a but ....

... he hopes (as do I) that his musical resumé will help in two ways. First, it should send a strong signal to most schools that the applicant isn't simply a grade drudge; that in fact he has some depth beyond the conformity of the average high school classroom. This is important, even at those ivy league schools. All schools need multiple criteria for deciding how to craft the best incoming freshman class that they can create. You can bet that a DVD of his best performances (on piano, and hopefully on horn as well) will be a part of his application packet, as will a fact sheet listing what he has accomplished.

From talking with music faculty members, we already know that when a DVD from an applicant crosses their desks, if they like what they see they can weigh in with the admissions office to give that applicant a bump in the rankings.

Secondly, there are indeed very good programs out there that will spend some money on students who bring an attractive package of skills to their campus. This is clearly more likely at second tier schools that are striving to move up than at places that are already the most highly selective (like Yale, for instance).

Music is part of that package of skills.

How much will schools offer besides admission? That's clearly idiosyncratic. Once you get beyond general merit scholarships because the school simply wants you, I strongly suspect it is driven by needs for less common instruments, and by how much value the institution places on having a good orchestra, wind ensemble, etc. It'll also be driven by the type of school it is (i.e. does it have a full performance degree program or not). You have to do some homework to find out what schools want, what scholarships they offer, and what commitments they expect in return.

In our case, scholarships based on musical ability would be nice, but they're not likely to be the only, or even the main, rationale for looking at a particular school. General merit scholarships are our primary hope. Specific music scholarships are fine as long as they don't fully bind the student to a very specific academic path (music performance major on horn, for instance).
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1387145 - 03/03/10 09:37 AM Re: Piano Student, playing piano and playing a band instrume [Re: Piano*Dad]
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Originally Posted By: Lollipop
Good horn players are hard to come by. Good pianists less so. A scholarship might well be associated with his willingness to participate in orchestra, but not necessarily to major in music.

A program that was attractive to us for other reasons (strong academic departments in my son's areas of interest) would rise above other schools if scholarship money were forthcoming on the basis of a gentle commitment like that.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1388166 - 03/04/10 03:35 PM Re: Piano Student, playing piano and playing a band instrume [Re: Betty Patnude]
John Pels Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tomball, Texas
Both of my kiddos played trumpet in band. My daughter was always more the musician and inevitably was 1st chair throughout HS, only swapping off briefly with one of her guy friends. What a band program will do is hook your kids up with some really decent other young people, at a time in their lives when that is really a good thing. There are many social activities and "the band" becomes a real force in their lives in a very positive way. I will admit that the band is not an orchestra. Our small town did not have one. Yes, the football games can be monotonous, but the kiddos give it their all and there are of course band only concerts with better repertoire. My daughter also played keyboard there as well on occasion. The kids tend to build relationships that last,and even though my daughter is 10 years out of HS at this point, she still has "band friends".

I have had some of my students that applied to college on two instruments, so there are no liabilities that I can see.

#1388389 - 03/04/10 09:16 PM Re: Piano Student, playing piano and playing a band instrume [Re: John Pels]
drm Offline

Loc: CT
Originally Posted By: John Pels
Both of my kiddos played trumpet in band......... The kids tend to build relationships that last,and even though my daughter is 10 years out of HS at this point, she still has "band friends".

I appreciate you and the others sharing your children's and students' experiences with the band. The social connection is really what I would like for him and I am glad to hear that playing both piano and a band instrument is viewed so favorably. Thank you again.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Prelude
by noobpianist90
7 minutes 50 seconds ago
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Communication outside of lessons
by Arghhh
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
What is this piece?
by JoelW
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
Piano Rankings
by phantomFive
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
Who's Online
75 registered (angga888, 36251, Alux, accordeur, 14 invisible), 1007 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76645 Members
42 Forums
158485 Topics
2327423 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission