2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 6 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
BeeKay Offline OP
OP Offline
After a long process of playing and listening to many different grands, I am inclined to purchase a Charles Walter grand. I am not sure about which of the two sizes I prefer. When searching the forum, I do not see many posts regarding the grands from Walter. Are there any members who may like to comment on their experiences with Walter grands? Thank you.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The Walter family is delightful, there pianos are great. They are not inexpensive as they are built in the U.S.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
One of the least known, good quality pianos out there. Most people don't know about them because their production is small and their dealer network is small, too.

Dale Fox
Registered Piano Technician
Remanufacturing/Rebuilding
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I got to try a 175 recently, and thought it was one of the nicer sub 6-footers I've played. Although it doesn't sound like a Mason, Steinway, or Baldwin, it still had a distinctly "American" sound. I would like to try a 190 but have not had the chance yet.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
The CW 190 is an amazing grand piano. I love its sound and feel. I think the CW instruments are worth the money.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I like them, I like them alot grin

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I have a friend who purchased a new Walter 190 2 or 3 years ago. Very, very nice piano.

D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
... Although it doesn't sound like a Mason, Steinway, or Baldwin, it still had a distinctly "American" sound.

Oh! That's good. It isn't supposed to sound like a M&H, a Steinway or a Baldwin. It is supposed to sound a lot like a Walter piano. smile

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by BeeKay
After a long process of playing and listening to many different grands, I am inclined to purchase a Charles Walter grand. I am not sure about which of the two sizes I prefer. When searching the forum, I do not see many posts regarding the grands from Walter. Are there any members who may like to comment on their experiences with Walter grands? Thank you.

The Walter 190 (6’ 3”) is a moderately powerful mid-sized piano designed for a mid-sized to larger living room or music room. It should be well balanced across the compass with good timbral dynamics.

The Walter 175 is shorter (5’ 9”) and one inch narrower. It has a lower-tensioned scale, a lighter, more flexible soundboard and softer hammers. Both in size and voice it is designed for a somewhat smaller room. It has a warmer voice with a slightly broader dynamic range.

Both were designed to have, for their size, a clean and articulate bass.

Both are built to the same, very high, quality standard. Your choice should be determined by your preference in voice and the size and acoustic character of room in which the piano is to be placed.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by BeeKay
Are there any members who may like to comment on their experiences with Walter grands?

I think Del Fandrich, who posted above, actually designed these pianos. Needless to say, 'experience with Walter grands' is an understatment in that case.

I've never tried one out, but I've read many, many forum posts from members on all piano makes, and every time the Walter grands come up in a thread they get great praise.

Semi-pro pianist
Tuesdays 5-8 at Vince's West Sacramento, California
Z
Z
I tried both pianos side by side last week, and they are very nice pianos!

The 175 has a warmer and softer tone, like Del mentioned, the 190 has a bolder tone.

Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Although it doesn't sound like a Mason, Steinway, or Baldwin, it still had a distinctly "American" sound.

I also find the Walter sounds very American, but definitely different than a Steinway and Baldwin (never tried M&H yet). All have a full bodied sound, but I found the Steinway sounds sweeter. To me, the Charles Walter is like dark chocolate, while the Steinway is like candies (maybe like Skittles)

Last edited by zxcjason; 03/09/10 02:16 AM.
BeeKay Offline OP
OP Offline
Good evening everyone,

Thank you for responding to my question. Mr. Fandrich, I appreciate your input, especially in light of your contribution to the Walter design.

I have learned a lot on this forum. I am impressed by the collective wisdom of the group.

Thanks again.

Bill

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I will just second and third the consensus here. Lovely American sounding pianos that have their own sound are well built and if you decide it's the piano don't worry at all about your choice.

Glenn Treibitz

Hollywood Piano Co. - Est.1928
http://www.hollywoodpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/HollywoodPiano

1800 MY-PIANO

Steingraeber,Grotrian,Mason&Hamlin,Petrof,Estonia,Steinberg,Schulze-Pollmann,Baldwin,
Ritmuller,Perzina,Pearl River,Hardman,Roland,Used Steinway
F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
The clarity of the bass which the Walter grands designer mentioned results from their bass wires having a longer-than-normal backscale. (The rep can show that to you.) This causes the Walter grands to play larger than their size. These pianos also use a bass cutoff. (Again, the rep can show that to you.) This should increase the clarity of the mids.

Based only on posts, the smaller piano may sound a little livelier.

Re Del's point about matching piano to room, pianos can be voiced, rooms can be voiced. If you should prefer the 190 but think that it might be too powerful for the room, its volume can be reduced. I have a detailed post about how to do that. If you should want advice about reducing volume, I should be able to dig it up.

In any case please try to audition these pianos on full stick. That's the way, IMO, that grands should be played.

Room acoustics matter. If you audition pianos in the typical crowded, carpeted showroom which has a high ceiling, all pianos will sound louder in the typical home.

Z
Z
Del, what is considered a mid-size room? My living room is 22" X 15" X 9", hardwood floor, with openings to the dining room and upstairs. Do you think the 190 will be too powerful for the room without voicing down the volume?

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
I enjoy the Walter grands immensely. They're great pianos, and you're helping a small American business by buying one! One day, I hope Walter builds something between 7'-9'.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Aside from their quality, I think it's pretty darn cool to have a Charles Walter grand rather than a Yamaha or Kawai. Sorry, no offense, Yamaha and Kawai grand owners. However, people will look at your grand and will say "Charles Who...? I only knew of Yamaha and Steinway. Didn't know that there are other pianos out there." But wait until they try that piano! They will then remember that name for sure.

If I had to compare the CW to M&H and S&S, I'd say it is probably closer to M&H as it has more of a silver tone. The S&S is more of a golden tone. Of course, the Walter grands sound their own. It's clear that they don't copy another make.

R
R
And of course in that exact price range--you could try out the Estonia L168 and L190! smile And no, I am not an Estonia dealer--I only play one on TV.

Russ

Estonia L190--Serial # 7117
Ragtime should never be played fast--Scott Joplin

Repertoire (Ready for Carnegie Hall smile ): Fur Elise; Beethoven Minuet in G; Chopin: Prelude 28-7; Joplin: The Entertainer

Polishing: Chopin: Waltz in A minor (Post)

Working: Brahms: Waltz 39-15; Chopin: Albumblatt
G
G
Had the pleasure of playing a Walter 175 side by side with an Estonia 168. Both have their points but for me it was easily the 175. Love that tight bass. The Walter 190 though is a piano that has it all. Tight bass, singing treble, and brooding tenor. You can't go wrong.

Last edited by gutenberg; 03/09/10 10:13 AM.
R
R
gutenberg: As you probably have seen, there have been several recent discussions of the meaning of different words to describe piano tone. Don't want to hijack this thread too far in that direction--but what do you mean by a "tight" bass? Thanks in advance.

Also, Charles Walter was one of the short list of 3 pianos I wanted to try before buying the Estonia (Estonia, Walter, and M&H--although the latter was out of my price range)--but we couldn't find any near enough to try out.

Russ

Estonia L190--Serial # 7117
Ragtime should never be played fast--Scott Joplin

Repertoire (Ready for Carnegie Hall smile ): Fur Elise; Beethoven Minuet in G; Chopin: Prelude 28-7; Joplin: The Entertainer

Polishing: Chopin: Waltz in A minor (Post)

Working: Brahms: Waltz 39-15; Chopin: Albumblatt
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission