Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1392425 - 03/09/10 06:58 PM Where are the CP1s in Southern California?
Peakly Offline

Loc: Southern California
This post sounds crazy even as I'm typing it, but does anyone know of a music store ANYWHERE in Southern California that has a Yamaha CP1 available in the store to try before buying it? If I'm not mistaken, several people on this forum have been able to try a CP1 in a music store before purchasing it. We have tried calling every possible store within a hundred mile radius of the LA area, and no one has a CP1 that can be played and heard.

When I called the Hollywood Guitar Center, the first thing the sales guy said to me on the phone in an aggressive tone was, "Are you goung to buy it and take it home today?" When I told him I'm a pianist, and that it might make sense to try one first to see if the action and sound are what I'm looking for before throwing down $5k, he immediately tried to sell me a Roland V Piano instead, because they have one of those on the floor. When I told him I'm not interested in that instrument, he got even more aggressive, and demanded to know why not?

Bottom line, they will sell me a CP1, but I need to buy it sight unseen. And from what I've experienced before, their return policy sucks, with 15% restocking fees, etc. Online stores charge me nothing but shipping to return a piece of gear. I know local stores have issues with people trying things in their stores, and then buying them online for less money, but the policies they have in place now are totally counter-productive. I'm left with no choice but to buy a CP1 online and have it shipped across the country, so I'm not stuck with it if I don't like the sound and/or touch of the instrument.

Mychal

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1392430 - 03/09/10 07:01 PM Re: Where are the CP1s in Southern California? [Re: Peakly]
pianogal37 Offline

Wow, that's insane. I wouldn't shell out $5K for anything sight unseen.

#1392460 - 03/09/10 08:28 PM Re: Where are the CP1s in Southern California? [Re: pianogal37]
Zinfan Offline

Loc: Grover Beach, Ca
Insane maybe but I might do the same thing with a CP-5 in a few months. Just too hard to find a shop that would carry the instrument within a 4 hour drive of my house.

#1392462 - 03/09/10 08:35 PM Re: Where are the CP1s in Southern California? [Re: Peakly]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.

2005 NY Steinway D, Nord Piano 2

#1392491 - 03/09/10 09:29 PM Re: Where are the CP1s in Southern California? [Re: Peakly]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
All the local GC stores have a 30-day return. No reason is needed for a to return. Money back on the spot. I've returned some stuff that did not perform well.

Also I can't see the point of going to an on-line reseller for a better price. GC will beat any on-line price by 10% of the difference. I've called them on it before. And they even have PC with internet connection in the store with all the on-line places bookmarked.

But you can save state sales tax if you order on-line they can't help that.

(no I don't work there. Don't even really like going there do to crowds and lack of parking, the lot is always full and it takes 20 minutes to find a salesman.)

BTW the store on Pico Bl in Westwood is good. But is 17 miles from the house (up the 405) and there are three closer music stores but it's worth it because the place is huge compared to the local GC store described above

Edited by ChrisA (03/09/10 09:36 PM)

#1392502 - 03/09/10 09:47 PM Re: Where are the CP1s in Southern California? [Re: ChrisA]
coz Offline

Loc: United States
I couldn't find one to try either in NYC so I bought online yesterday. It would be a pain to return but hopefully that won't happen! I tried the Roland V at the store but I wasn't crazy about the action. I hope to get it by Friday.

#1392533 - 03/09/10 10:57 PM Re: Where are the CP1s in Southern California? [Re: Dave Ferris]
Peakly Offline

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
Did you try W. LA in Santa Monica or Universal City? What about Sam Ash in either Hollyweird or Canoga Park?

No luck before, but I'll try them again.

Quote:
it seems LA is behind the curve in getting new products---doesn't make much sense huh?

Yeah, it's bizarre that in LA of all places you can't find one.

Quote:
All the local GC stores have a 30-day return. No reason is needed for a to return. Money back on the spot.

OK, here's what it says on their website:

Just bring it back to any Guitar Center location, along with your receipt, manual and all original packaging for exchange or refund.**

**There is a 15% restocking fee on open-box returns.

Notice the double asterisk.

Quote:
I couldn't find one to try either in NYC so I bought online yesterday.

Ha! New York City too. Go figure.

Mychal

#1392592 - 03/10/10 01:11 AM Re: Where are the CP1s in Southern California? [Re: Peakly]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

**There is a 15% restocking fee on open-box returns

If that's what it says then you're are right. But I've always saved the box during the 30 days return period and I guess they don't enforce the rules or can't tell. But I talked to the salesman, told him I tried it and "poor quality sound". I think they must have some discretion in enforcing the rule.

#1392615 - 03/10/10 01:58 AM Re: Where are the CP1s in Southern California? [Re: ChrisA]
Volusiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChrisA

**There is a 15% restocking fee on open-box returns

If that's what it says then you're are right. But I've always saved the box during the 30 days return period and I guess they don't enforce the rules or can't tell. But I talked to the salesman, told him I tried it and "poor quality sound". I think they must have some discretion in enforcing the rule.

I think it depends on the item. I think for keyboards the 15% restocking fee applies, but not for guitars. At least at my local Guitar Center store. I've returned a guitar with no restocking fee, but I have a friend who returned a DP console and they charged him 15% restocking fee. That was a few years ago. Don't know if it's changed since.

#1392617 - 03/10/10 02:03 AM Re: Where are the CP1s in Southern California? [Re: ChrisA]
mucci Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Munich, Germany
... I would never trust on a stores goodwill... It could cost you 15% of $5000, that's $750!

#1392652 - 03/10/10 04:01 AM Re: Where are the CP1s in Southern California? [Re: mucci]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
+1

When you think about it, the local retail store doesn't tend to do a lot for you.
Their main value above alternative channels is allowing one to audition and compare instruments, to provide advice and help with selection and to provide after sales service. How is that working out for us all?

In terms of post sales service, with the number of retailers going out of business you can't count on them being there later anyway and most instruments can't be fixed by the store and have to be sent or swapped with the manufacturer anyway and many retailers don't stock units or have policy to give you a loaner.

The training and commitment of most sales staff is very low. They are often there often for their own commission and bonus for selling extended warranties, not for giving advice to the customer.

Many stores are not bothering to even stock the top models anymore and want us to order them sight unseen.
If they do have them in the store, they are not hooked up to speakers or have been fiddled with to not show off properly or are placed in a noisy, bad environment that makes testing well an impossibility.

Then you are asked to pay a premium, often a significant premium, over prices in other channels, pay local and state sales tax over the entire amount and often paying extra for home delivery to boot.

Finally, if you don't like the instrument you had to order sight unseen or could not audition properly or which you bought based on incorrect information from an ignorant or incompetent salesperson, they may refuse to let you return it or only give you store credit or charge you extortionate re-stocking fees which are intended to keep half the profit they had on the original sale and still be able to sell the product again.

#1392669 - 03/10/10 05:47 AM Re: Where are the CP1s in Southern California? [Re: theJourney]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
I don't have much experience with retail music stores but if what your saying is true then I'd say the whole music retail industry is in some trouble especially when you have strong online competitors with knowledgeable staff and good return policies to match their sharp pricing.

#1392946 - 03/10/10 02:45 PM Re: Where are the CP1s in Southern California? [Re: Dr Popper]
JcSr56 Offline

Loc: Va
I don't claim to have the extensive knowledge about keyboards, that many of you have; but being in business for myself; I find it hard to understand why Yamaha doesn't have demo units on the floors of many of the superstores at least. I don't know who is to blame, Yamaha, or their distributors, but it's just not a good thing. I would think they would want models on the floor to promote sales before the units start arriving for sale.
I have the RD700gx, but I sure would love to try the new CP models.
John

#1392980 - 03/10/10 03:31 PM Re: Where are the CP1s in Southern California? [Re: theJourney]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: theJourney
+1

When you think about it, the local retail store doesn't tend to do a lot for you.
Their main value above alternative channels is allowing one to audition and compare instruments,

The retailers who are doing well here are those with BOTH local retail and Internet stores. Guitar Center and Sam Ash both allow you to buy in-store or on-line at the same price. Both will match any competitor's price either in-store or on-line. I think this is going to be the retail model going forward. With both local and on-line stores so buyers don't have to care if you come into the store then order on-line. Only the local salesman is "out" but the company makes the money either way.

The ones who will go broke are those trying to sell at above on-line prices. But the stores I go to have computers in the store and you can look up a competitor's on-line price and they will slightly under cut it.

The local resellers if they want to survive HAVE to offer more than on-line and at same or better price.

Edited by ChrisA (03/10/10 09:30 PM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
150 registered (accordeur, ando, antony, Akshay, 36251, 47 invisible), 1683 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74217 Members
42 Forums
153529 Topics
2249943 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Why 88 keys?
by gsmonks
Today at 03:01 PM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
Today at 01:38 PM
Installing plain wire: no twists involved
by A443
Today at 01:12 PM
Disney - Mulan - Reflection (arr. by K. Landry)
by Gi Dy
Today at 12:32 PM
A good introduction to history of French classical music?
by BWV 846
Today at 10:50 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission