Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
111 registered (Anita Potter, ando, anamnesis, AndyJoe, 36251, 31 invisible), 1385 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1393970 - 03/11/10 07:37 PM Re: Pulling a student out of an exam [Re: Jeff Clef]
Elissa Milne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Originally Posted By: Jeff Clef

I've never heard of anyone who had a 100% success rate--- not come by honestly, anyway.

That's a tad cynical Jeff! I've actually had 100% of my students receive distinctions or high distinctions over the past 3 or 4 years (maybe even 5?), and as already mentioned in this thread, that's partly because we decided to delay one student sitting their exam for 4 months (to everyone's relief).

Are you suggesting that I've done this in a dishonest fashion?!

btw, my students only sit exams if and when they wish to and they are ready - is this cheating?!
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1393984 - 03/11/10 08:07 PM Re: Pulling a student out of an exam [Re: currawong]
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Interesting - I can think of two students I had who were not ready for exams I'd entered them for, and we did a similar last-minute give-it-your-best-shot rescue mission. It was amazing what they could do when they really decided to.

Adrenaline and challenge can do some powerful things. smirk

#1393993 - 03/11/10 08:15 PM Re: Pulling a student out of an exam [Re: Chris H.]
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Western Canada
Originally Posted By: Chris H.
For the first time in 15 years I am faced with having to pull a student out of an exam due to lack of preparation. The exam is in 2 weeks time and there is no way he can be ready. I don't want him to feel embarassed on the day and I also don't want my own reputation to suffer. The thing is that I feel almost entirely responsible as I pushed him into it in the hope that it would motivate him to practice. It didn't.

At this stage there will be no refund for the exam although his parents will be expecting one. It's expensive and I can't afford it but I feel like I should pay them the fee back out of my own pocket. I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do but I just feel so sick and guilty about the whole thing. At the moment I haven't spoken to the parents about this because the boy (age 15) has asked me not to. He said he will practice this week but I know it will not be enough.

If you don't mind me asking, what grade is it? That would make a difference!

#1394016 - 03/11/10 08:45 PM Re: Pulling a student out of an exam [Re: Chris H.]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: Chris H.
For the first time in 15 years I am faced with having to pull a student out of an exam due to lack of preparation. The exam is in 2 weeks time and there is no way he can be ready. I don't want him to feel embarassed on the day and I also don't want my own reputation to suffer. The thing is that I feel almost entirely responsible as I pushed him into it in the hope that it would motivate him to practice. It didn't.

At this stage there will be no refund for the exam although his parents will be expecting one. It's expensive and I can't afford it but I feel like I should pay them the fee back out of my own pocket. I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do but I just feel so sick and guilty about the whole thing. At the moment I haven't spoken to the parents about this because the boy (age 15) has asked me not to. He said he will practice this week but I know it will not be enough.

Chris, I started my teaching day a half hour before your post, and am now on my dinner break - the first of the day, before 3 more students this evening.

What a lot of comments your post has produced! Wow.

I strongly encourage my students to participate in Guild auditions. Why not? The process is good for them. As has been noted, it's motivational, it gives students goals, it teaches them to allocate their time and to prepare appropriately. I suspect you're in precisely the same situation. Back in December, one of my better students seemed to be lacking preparation lesson after lesson. We talked. I began to get concerned that he would not be ready for the Audition come May. Finally, in February, I told him (he is 16) that I was going to have to discuss this with his parents, because progress just wasn't happening and he'd never pass his audition if things didn't change.

I mention this, because I have to send in Guild audition fees in January, at the latest, so his fee has already been sent in.

So, to make a long story short, parents want him to continue lessons, his interests have diverged, and while he isn't going to stop his music, he is stopping serious piano study. There was no issue about parents paying the audition fee.

Generally, I think that when there is any serious event like this, with a longer lead time, and fees must be paid in advance, it's not unreasonable for teachers to get a commitment from students, and if for any reason, the student cannot do the event, the fee is still owed.

As the money is paid to the event, I think you should be upfront with the parents and no refund should be forthcoming. The event is not going to refund the money, and it's simply unreasonable to expect teachers to fund vagaries of some students.

#1394023 - 03/11/10 08:52 PM Re: Pulling a student out of an exam [Re: John v.d.Brook]
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
My thought about talking to the parents beforehand is this: The exam is still two weeks in the future. The boy has not yet decided to drop the exam. The parents don't seem to be aware. If the student does decide to give it his best shot, then the last thing he needs is to be undermined at home while he practises. His best guide is the person who understands preparing for musical things, and that is his private teacher.

#1394027 - 03/11/10 09:06 PM Re: Pulling a student out of an exam [Re: keystring]
Diane... Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Western Canada
There have been times that "I've" wanted to go in and play their practical exam. Who'd know! They don't check identity do they? Kidding here, really!

But, I agree with John, don't pay the parents back for the exam fee. You thought what you thought at the time, so the parents agreed with the exam, on your approval, and the student might just learn something by being in the exam room. Maybe he'll learn something like, don't commit to something if you aren't in full agreement with it!

Curious to know what his reason was for not working to be ready!

Edited by Diane... (03/11/10 09:06 PM)

#1394101 - 03/11/10 11:21 PM Re: Pulling a student out of an exam [Re: currawong]
Amosquito Offline

Loc: Australia
I've never pulled a student from an exam, though I have been very close once, and that particular student ended up just passing. There were underlying problems in that the student wasn't being honest with me about what he wanted out of piano lessons and the parents were pushing for the exam to happen without having any musical knowledge themselves or real tangible support for the student (such as helping him manage his time/supervise his practise/learn his theory etc).

In this case, I think you need to lay out all the options for your student in front of him.
Perhaps:
A: You do the exam without any extra work.
B: You do the exam and commit to 2 hours practice a day and extra lessons.
C: You forfeit the exam and commit to the later session.
D: You forfeit the exam and do not continue with exams but continue lessons.
E: You forfeit the exam and try your luck with another teacher.
F: You forfeit the exam and give up piano lessons.

Discuss all the consequences of each option. The student, at 15 is old enough to make an informed decision and should be encouraged to discuss the options with his parents.

Good luck and please tell us the outcome.

Facilitator of learning
Lover of pianos and singing
Wannabe singer/songwriter

#1394106 - 03/11/10 11:33 PM Re: Pulling a student out of an exam [Re: Jeff Clef]
Amosquito Offline

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Jeff Clef
I've never heard of anyone who had a 100% success rate--- not come by honestly, anyway.

I have had a 100% pass rate over the last decade. This is also across piano, singing, violin, theory AND musicianship exams and only a handful of those students are merely pass marks. At the moment, around 50% of my students have achieved Honours or High Distinction.

Facilitator of learning
Lover of pianos and singing
Wannabe singer/songwriter

#1394144 - 03/12/10 01:27 AM Re: Pulling a student out of an exam [Re: Amosquito]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Chris:

Do not feel guilty. Many teachers decide to pull students out of testing because the students are simply not prepared. This year, I sent the most students ever into CM. I also had to pull a couple of kids for the first time ever. Thank goodness for Path B.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
One man show!
by Nikolas
11/27/14 09:00 AM
Just to say "Hello"
by JennyS
11/27/14 05:33 AM
Dyslexia and reading the rhythm
by Nahum
11/27/14 04:18 AM
Wanted to give jazz a chance, reverting back to classical
by Artur Gajewski
11/27/14 03:31 AM
anyone... listening to Greek Radio?
by Nikolas
11/27/14 12:38 AM
Forum Stats
77065 Members
42 Forums
159391 Topics
2341410 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission