2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 12 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
pist Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Guys,
I have been studying this forum to help in my search for a digital piano, but after having been out loooking (and touching :)) I could still do with some help.

I am looking at buying a good digital piano for my children to practice on (one aged 9 at grade 1(UK) the other aged 6 just started), + I am also trying to keep up with the youngest myself.

My short list is:

-Yamaha CL 330, Which seems to me to feel good and I thought the sound coming out of the piano was more differentiated depending on how hard I hit the keys.

-Kawai CN 32, Which seems to have an ok sound, ok touch, more voices (which helps the children clock up the practice hours) and has a nicer cabinet

-Kurzweil mark pro two i. - This doesn't have 1/2 damper function (which we probably wouldn't need for many years yet) but is supposed to have a nice heavy touch, it has plenty of voices and is available here in polished ebony at a price similar to the above two in plain finish. I have however not been able to locate one to try out yet, as they are not common here in the UK, so would love your comments.

My first priority is to get as realistic a feel as possible (being a beginner, I am not brilliant at judging this) and a good sound. Some choice of different voices does help keep the children entertained; and from my point of view it wouldn't hurt if the piano doesn't look too bad in the living room either.

My gut feeling at the moment is to go with what seems to be the safe option of the Clavinova, but could do with some more opinions from people who are not trying to sell me stuff!

Would really appreciate your advice.
Thanks
:)pist

I'd throw in the Kawai CA51 to add to your collection. Now as the CA63 is on the market, you can get very good deals on a CA51. It has wooden keys and thus a quite realistic touch, although not the vast number of voices of the CN32.

However, the choice between the models you mentioned is quite up to personal taste - they are all nice instruments.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pist (great name by the way...),

You might also like to consider a Roland HP-201.
This is a previous generation instrument, yet is still a a very nice piano. In addition, I expect dealers will be taking steps to clear older stock, so you may be able to pick up a great deal.

LaRate, in addition to the CA51, I would also recommend the CA18, which uses the same wooden key action, but offers the improved 88-key piano sampling sound technology.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
pist Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Guys - The cheapest I can find the CA51 for is about 6-700 Pounds more than the others, so out of my league and the CA 18 pushes the budget too far too. The HP-201 is about in line with the others in price but have heard the touch is lighter? The shop I visited today did not have that model on display at present so haven't tried it, also I am not sure about the voices; the specs say 20 tones - is that the same as voices? (Gosh - was trying to make things simpler not more complicated lol)

So anyway - still fretting between CN32 and CLP330 - and keen to hear about the Kurzweil - Would the lack of half damping make this a mistake? - It also has less polyphony (64 voice against 96/128), but have heard this should be enough.

Maybe I should let Hubby choose (he has less clue than myself so would either choose by price or looks grin)

pist

I think looking for heaviest key action possible is not that important (as long as the piano has a decent graded hammer action). My own CA51 is considered having a comparably light touch - I still find it heavier than the acoustic Yamaha Grand of my teacher.

Half pedaling is an important feature in my opinion and will make pedal play much more realistic - I wouldn't do without it, being a beginner with only a few months practice myself.

pist Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by LaRate
Half pedaling is an important feature in my opinion and will make pedal play much more realistic - I wouldn't do without it, being a beginner with only a few months practice myself.

Have also just found out that the Kurzweil hammer action is not graded - so all in all probably not worth chasing through half the country looking for.............

That brings me to CLP330 versus CN32 - This is HARD - pros and cons still very welcome.
grinpist

I should be not that hard - the two are quite different in sound, so it is truly a matter of personal preference. Personally, I don't like the Yamaha sound too much and prefer the more aggressive Kawai.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by pist

Have also just found out that the Kurzweil hammer action is not graded - so all in all probably not worth chasing through half the country looking for.............

Yamaha's new top of the line CP1 and CP5 are not graded. This is surprising but apparently people say that like the new key action the the new CPs. I think maybe Yamaha may have decided that grading is not required if there are not strings. But Ithink they are using velocity curves to get the same effect. It's a small step but still surprising thar Yamaha moves away from exact emulation of an acoustic piano. Apparently that must be what they think the market wants, or at least that segment of the market that performs on stage.

Back to the OP's question. The CLP330 has specs not even up to the level of my P155. I'd buy it only if you happen to like the Yamaha signature sound. It is good at reproducing that sound. The CN keys are slightly lighter, maybe easier to play but just as good as Yamaha's. the CN's sound is a little more clean and synthetic sounding. Possably Kawai processes their samples more than Yamaha.

Back to the CP1/5. Both of these are a full generation newer sampling technolgy then what is inside any of the CLP series. Yamaha just relesed these two new pianos and from all report the sound is very much better. Some day this sound will make it into the CLP series but no one knows when.

pist Offline OP
OP Offline
I really quite like both the CLP330 and the CN32 and suppose it is now down to which of these come closest in touch to an acoustic. This is where I am struggeling to judge a bit, being quite a beginner and the music shops always seem be biased.

They are both still some distance away from the touch of an acoustic - all digitals are (maybe top-class like N3 come closer - haven't tried one).
Also among acoustic pianos there is a huge variance on touch characteristics. Not only between grands and uprights, but also between models and even between samples of the same model.
I don't think the choice between those two models will make a difference on your kids' piano playing progress that stems from the slightly different touch and action.

A
A
Pist,
Most dp shops sell accoustics too. So I would suggest having a play on an accoustic and seeing how it compares to the dps you are thinking about buying - in the same terms that you are buying the dp - think about the sound, feel, looks, etc.

When I compared the clp 330 to the CN32, I preferred the feel and sound of the CN32.

AndyT

Last edited by AndyT; 03/19/10 08:21 AM.
pist Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by LaRate
They are both still some distance away from the touch of an acoustic - all digitals are

[quote=AndyT]Pist,
Most dp shops sell accoustics too. So I would suggest having a play on an accoustic and seeing how it compares to the dps you are thinking about buying -

I think, your right guys, no dogital is going to be perfect , which I accept, and I have been trying the accoustics along the way too; I am probably dithering because I have never really bought a piano before.

Anyway Just as I have decided that I actually like them both fairly equally for different "piano reasons", so was inclined to (after another comparison session at shop which has both) go with the CN32 as it is slightly cheaper, has more voices and a slightly nicer kabinet. I go on the local shop website which has just announced that a CN33 is out 1st May. The new CN33 seems to be an upgrade of the CN32 with a new action, the shop price is very similar and I expect an internet price will soon follow. I hope this is good news - either new action is better and the answer to my prayers - so good - or/and likely there will soon be some good offers on CN32 -also good!

Last edited by pist; 03/19/10 01:16 PM.
pist, may I ask where you read about the CN33?

Cheers,
James
x

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Here's the specs for the CN33 (available in May, apparently), from Kawai's German website but easily interpreted.

Tastatur RH Mechanik, 88 Tasten mit Ivory Touch Oberfläche und Druckpunkt Simulation
Klänge 36
Klangherkunft Progressive Harmonic Imagingâ„¢ System (88 Tasten Sampling)
Polyphonie max. 96 Noten
Hall 5: Raum 1, Raum 2, Bühne, Halle 1, Halle 2
Effekte Chorus, Tremolo, Delay 1, Delay 2, Delay 3, Rotary 1, Rotary 2
Lesson Funktion 55 Übungstitel von Czerny und Burgmüller
Dual-Modus Ja, Lautstärkeverhältnis einstellbar
Split-Modus Ja, Splitpunkt frei änderbar
4-Hand-Modus Ja
Anschlagsdynamik Leicht 1, Leicht 2, Normal, Schwer 1, Schwer 2, aus
Recorder 3 Song, 2 Spuren, max. 15.000 Noten
Sonstige Features Dämpfer Effekt, Saitenresonanz, Transponierung, MIDI-Multimodus, Feinstimmung, historische Stimmungen, Layer Octave Shift, Lower Octave Shift, Lower Pedal An/Aus, Damper Hold, Panel Lock,
LED-Display Ja
Metronom Taktarten: 1/4, 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 5/4, 3/8, 6/8; Tempo: 10-300 BPM
Demosongs 30
Concert Magic Songs 88
Pedale 3: Dämpfer (Halb-Pedal), Sostenuto, Piano
Oberflächen- Farbe Premium Rosenholz, Premium Kirsche, Premium Mahagoni oder Schwarz satiniert
Tastaturabdeckung Ja, versenkbar
Anschlüsse Kopfhörer x 2, Line In, Line Out, MIDI In/Out, USB (to Host)
Lautsprecher 16 cm x 2
Leistung 20 Watt x 2
Maße (BxTxH) in cm 138 x 47 x 88
Gewicht in kg 54

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
voxpops,

I believe the KAWAI.de webpages for the new CN instruments are still in the process of being updated, hence these models are not available from the main navigation bar.

One important omission from the specifications list you have pasted is that the CN33 also features 'USB to Device' functionality, allowing song data to be loaded and saved to a USB memory device.

As pist mentioned above, the new CN models utilise a brand new plastic key action - not just a refinement of the previous AHA IV-F, but a complete redesign, with Ivory Touch key surfaces and Let-off simulation. The general consensus among professional pianists is that the this new action feels even more like an acoustic than the popular AHA IV (of any revision), so I'm confident that customers will also appreciate the improved authenticity.

Finally, you may notice that the cabinet design has been refined slightly. The changes are subtle - more a case of evolution, rather than revolution - but definite improvements to what was already a very handsome cabinet.

So in summary then, the main differences between the CN32 and CN33 are:

- Brand new action, with Ivory Touch and Let-off
- USB to Device functionality
- Refined cabinet design

Kind regards,
James
x

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Sounds nice, James. Do you know the ballpark price bracket yet? Also, will there be a new stage piano?

mabraman, 2015
voxpops, please don't quote me on this, however I believe the new models will be slightly more expensive than the previous generation at the time of their release. I expect this is a result of the new action and materials (Ivory Touch key surfaces etc.).

As for new stage pianos, I'm afraid I cannot comment until a formal announcement is made at Frankfurt Music Messe.

Cheers,
James
x

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by KAWAI James
As for new stage pianos, I'm afraid I cannot comment until a formal announcement is made at Frankfurt Music Messe.

Cheers,
James
x

Ooh, that's so tantalising! Only a few days to wait and then we get to see Kawai's answer to the CP series - yes? grin

mabraman, 2015
Blood from a stone, I'm afraid...

James
x

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
I'm dreaming of authentic Rhodes and Wurlitzer models coupled with a knockout grand piano, using Kawai's latest action, 88-note sampling and totally undetectable velocity switching and looping (got to keep the Dewster happy) - and all for the price (and weight) of an MP5.

I'll place my order now!

p.s. Apologies to the OP for veering off at a tangent.

mabraman, 2015
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission