2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,155 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tonio Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I've found a made-for-north-america Yamaha U3, in 1976. Kindof old, but the only owners have used it very little, and claim it's in wonderful condition. I can't bring a tech with me, so I'll give it the once over first. I'll look for rust on the strings, loose keys, cracks on the soundboard.....what other things should I be looking for?
thanks

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Look at the hammer return spring retention cords. A Yamaha of this age probably has many that are broken, and most or all ready to go.

Take a flashlight with you. Once you get the front panel off, look at the front base of the hammer butt assembly. That's in between the hammers and the dampers. You can see the springs held in place by little loops of cotton thread. Some or most are probably sticking straight out. You can sort of get the idea here: vertical action diagram

This is fixable, but it's usually a few hundred dollars to either replace the flanges or to repair the cords.

Check the condition of of the hammers--shape, grooves, alignment.

I'd advise you to try to get the sellers to hold it until you can have it checked out by a tech. Could be a gem--but it could be a dog.

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
P
P
Dave gives some great advise.

If you play yourself, give it a good workout. Can you achieve a wide dyamic range in tone and volume? If not, a good regulation will be in order.

Good luck.

T
Tonio Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks...I'll take my first look, and listen, then get a tech to check it out, if it passes the initial test. One thing that might make this process difficult is that he said it's not been tuned in 7 years. This could mean it's slipped, and would require raising it in increments...costing a lot of cents to raise it some cents :o)

P
P
Yes, depending on its environment, the piano might be up to a half step flat or so, maybe more.

If they are serious about selling it, they should have it tuned. Just my opinion though.

B
B
The important controls when buying an used piano are>

are the ribs firmly attached to a soundboard

is the soundboard in good condition, without cracks, and with measurable crown

is it far out of tune, if so, it will need to be tuned three or more times to get it right, which costs, of course

are there any strange clicks when you play, which can indicate that an instrument had visitors, like moths or mices, and that can happend, believe me

look for the shape of the hammers at the striking points, they should be oval,and if there are stripes made by strings on them, you can suppose that 1 mm of depth, means 10 years of home playing, 2mm 20 years, and if more, you will have to change them very soon

try to move every hammerhead to the left, and to the right by your finger.If some of them go more far then the others, there is possibility that the centre pins are bed, or, in better case, the flanges will need to be tightened.

check if there are some notes that are extremly detuned, which can indicate loosed tuning pins, or cracks on the pinblock.

Look how the wooden parts look like. If the color is changed to gray, it means that the piano has been in the humid space for the long time, and that can cause problems later

Check the uniformity of key depths,dampers when the right pedal is pressed, do all keys lay in the same line horizontaly , is the color of sound similar on the whole range of thge piano.

Ask the seller some questions, try to detect if he or she is sincere and honest, or he looks suspicious to you, if so, you may expect that there is some hidden fail of the piano as reason for sale.

Look for every other thing you can remember, and do not talk too much, not until the price is bargoned at your benefit.

Good luck.
Bojan Babic

bojanbabic@yahoo.com

Bojan Babic
piano technician and tuner
Sid, Vojvodina, Serbia
T
Tonio Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Fantastic advise Bojan. The seller said this was a gift to his parents 34 years ago, and it has been in the family forever. His sister took lessons for a year, about 20 years ago. I think they just want to cash out of something that no one uses, but the asking price seems a bit high.....if it checks out to be in great condition, with no repairs necessary, then it might be worth it. I *do* feel better about it being a non-grey market refurb. We'll see.....

T
Tonio Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Everything recommended checks out great. It's in wonderful shape for being that old. No rust on strings, no dust inside, ribs all solid, no cracks in soundboard, no wobble with keys, action smooth, tone balanced, played soft as well as loud, no broken retention cords....and the seller is genuine, a good fellow. There aren't many made-for-N America U3's that show up around here. He's gotten swarmed with calls, and I just happen to be the first one to see it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/topotone/sets/72157623684687268/
I brought my chromatic tuner to see how out-of-tune it was, but surprisingly, it was almost spot on. Had I not know it had it's last tuning about 5 years ago, I would have thought it was recently tuned.
Really, all the areas of concern seemed to pass with flying colors. I've got the $ down to $3100. I told him I'd pick it up today, and am wondering now if I need to hire a tech to look any further. It's not in my town, so I'll have to do a search for techs in that area, and see if anyone is available.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Great list, Bojan!

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik
https://facebook.com/wingrenpianistik
Concert Tuner at Schauman Hall, Jakobstad, Finland
Musician, arranger, composer

- - - -
Dedicated to learning the craft of tuning. Getting better.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Check pianobuyer.com (ad on right) for more tips on purchasing a used piano. The one thing you can't easily check is the torque on the tuning pins, and that's one of the most critical aspects.

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
www.shusterpiano.com
T
Tonio Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks...yes, everything checked out great. I brought it home last night, and will need to hire someone to bring it up one flight of stairs. I think that might be better than having my son get some friends to carry it up...could be tricky without a piano board, but, we brought my 48" Weber up there years ago....it *was* quite heavy, as I remember, but the U3 is even heavier.

What sort of cleaner and polish should I use for the finish and the keys?

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission