2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
TimR Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
T
Is there some software available to bend the pitch of a note by a precise amount?

I would like to be able to play a note, press F4 and have the note come out exactly a quarter step low.

The purpose is to be able to experiment with some quarter tone scale melodies. I don't have a software piano, unless you recommend something better I'd be using the built in MIDI on the laptop.

gotta go practice
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Do you want to be able to bend notes in real-time as part of a performance or is it good enought o be able to go back and edit a MIDI file?

Certainly the latter is easy with almost any MIDI editor. You would incert the required 1/4 bends where needed.

If you want to do it during a performance then you need a MIDI controller with assignable pads or controls. You could asin the 1/4 bend to the control

There is also software that will allow you to "bend" the pitch of a note in a WAV file. This is typically used to correct a vocal track where the vocalist did not hit the correct pitch but it could be used to raise or lower a note played by a piano. It's common, even Garage Band has this function.

You don't say what software you are working with or what budget you have for more software and equipment

Last edited by ChrisA; 03/23/10 12:10 PM.
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
You might want to look around for a used GEM WK series "world" synth. They made an Oriental/Arabic model (including an expander module version) that allowed for using quarter tones. They come up on ebay now and again. Try this video (and related offerings) to get a feel for it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX3SeGVOLVU

Other than that, there have been various exotic attempts at building dedicated quarter-tone keyboards - run a Google search. As for software, I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if some enterprising university department had developed something. For everyday purposes, though, it might be easier to see if you can program a pitch-bend wheel to the required frequency shift - might take a bit of skill to operate successfully over an entire piece.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Another keyboard, besides the GEM, that will do quarter-tones is the Korg Pa800. I know nothing about it, but I believe you can set it to play in quarter-tones and Arabic scale.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission