Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
141 registered (Anita Potter, accordeur, Almaviva, anamnesis, 44 invisible), 1694 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1402524 - 03/24/10 05:46 AM "the logic behind music" anyone heard about it?
merlin2812 Offline

Hello all!

I'm new in your community and had a lot of nice time reading your posts!
Do anyone has an experience with this teaching method on internet, called "the logic behind music"? It's on a web site called "piano encyclopedia". As usual, it sounds good with a lot of nice review, but I don't know anybody who actually tried it for real...
It talks about chords, scale and improvising, as many other methods, sounds good, but I scare that is just an other harmony book, bot better, not worst than other...
So, if anyone knows about this method, I would be glad to hear more about it!

regards

merlin

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1402530 - 03/24/10 06:24 AM Re: "the logic behind music" anyone heard about it? [Re: merlin2812]
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Well, the 'logic behind music' is about 2,500 years old now so maybe I'd take it with a pinch of salt?

Hey, and welcome to PW!

#1402546 - 03/24/10 07:18 AM Re: "the logic behind music" anyone heard about it? [Re: keyboardklutz]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Sounds like just one more in a very long line of "you too can be a concert pianist overnight without really trying at all" schemes we've seen far too many of here, and which are highly attractive to those unwilling to put in the long time and extended effort necessary to learn to play this complex instrument properly, and well...the "logic" behind this "music" is to make as much money as possible as quickly as possible and then run like hell...but then, as Barnum said: "There's a gullible piano player born every minute".

JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1402547 - 03/24/10 07:23 AM Re: "the logic behind music" anyone heard about it? [Re: TrapperJohn]
merlin2812 Offline

thanks for your answers, I guess you are right... however they don't exactly promise to master piano playing without work, they sale it more as another way to approach it, but I must admit I'am very doubtfull (hope this word is right!), that's why I'm asking for other experiences!

merlin

#1402569 - 03/24/10 08:42 AM Re: "the logic behind music" anyone heard about it? [Re: merlin2812]
Pete M. Offline

Loc: California
I'm not sure I've seen this one. Anybody have a link?

#1402578 - 03/24/10 08:58 AM Re: "the logic behind music" anyone heard about it? [Re: Pete M.]
Elissa Milne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
merlin 2812, why are you scared that it will turn out to be no better or worse than any other approach? being no worse than any other approach would seem to me to be a win..... Or is it somewhat costly, and therefore you are worried you will be wasting your money?
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com

#1402590 - 03/24/10 09:17 AM Re: "the logic behind music" anyone heard about it? [Re: Elissa Milne]
merlin2812 Offline

dear elissa, I'm not really scared, I just don't feel like spending money on something that wouldn't be helpfull! Actually, I'm very curious and interessed in this method, reading what the review on the website, but I believe those reviews are not ojective... You are right when you say that if it is not worse than an other method, it's not bad, but actually, I'm not even sure about that ;-)

I don't believe there is any perfect approach/method that suits everybody, but I do believe some small tips can be a very good help to take pleasure with our instrument!!! Just to give a so simple example, the day I discovered the pentatonic scale on my keyboard was so great!! Easy to have pleasure with a little thing, that can be worked for a lifetime but that can also give pretty nice result in couple weeks, no?

BTW sorry for my english!

merlin

#1402624 - 03/24/10 10:10 AM Re: "the logic behind music" anyone heard about it? [Re: merlin2812]
John_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, UK
When I saw the title I was reminded of the book "The Language of Music" that Deryck Cooke wrote (he of Mahler 10 fame). It's well worth reading but has nothing to do with learning the piano. (I seem to recall that its musical examples are mainly taken from orchestral music.)

#1402753 - 03/24/10 01:16 PM Re: "the logic behind music" anyone heard about it? [Re: John_B]
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I looked it up. It seems to be something for sale. Every section seemed to be a sales pitch without substance. Maybe I'm missing something?

#1402784 - 03/24/10 01:52 PM Re: "the logic behind music" anyone heard about it? [Re: keystring]
Devane Offline

Loc: Ireland
I don't know if "logic" is an attractive buzz-word. Sounds like hard work and Vulcan-like. smile Stuff I like.

Only buy books with the word "secret" in the title or something with the tagline "what they don't want you to know". grin

Looks like a composition course.. oh dear ..This thread is going to be locked.

ps
Frank Bruno plays the piano? shocked

Edited by Devane (03/24/10 01:55 PM)

#1402797 - 03/24/10 02:23 PM Re: "the logic behind music" anyone heard about it? [Re: keystring]
Devane Offline

Loc: Ireland
Originally Posted By: keystring
I looked it up. It seems to be something for sale. Every section seemed to be a sales pitch without substance. Maybe I'm missing something?

The eternal question as to why online courses for adults have a certain style of marketing. Why don't they just say what it is? Fake book, improb, composing etc without dressing it up to be so amazing.

The product doesn't seem to be available yet. The 111 pages refer the the free book.

#1402895 - 03/24/10 04:46 PM Re: "the logic behind music" anyone heard about it? [Re: Devane]
Elissa Milne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Hmm, see, I reckon in one piano lesson you would have learned the pentatonic scale straight off, and there are things you could be learning that are personally tailored to your own needs. You'd be better heading that way than checking out courses on the internet which have potentially self-penned reviews. Buyer beware, is the best I can say on this matter.
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com

#1402912 - 03/24/10 05:15 PM Re: "the logic behind music" anyone heard about it? [Re: Devane]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Hi Merlin2812, and welcome to the ABF!

In my view, music is both logical and mathematical. I too would be drawn to a title like “The logic of music”. However, I do have a suggestion for you… There are several fellow members of this forum that sell various piano lesson materials and programs. I think it would be a great idea to support some of our fellow PW members here, and you’d probably be getting an excellent product too. Plus, you would have access to them more directly and can learn more about them and their products.

Please keep in mind that I am not trying to sell anything or promote one over another, but just trying to be helpful. To tell you the truth, I need a piano lesson or two myself!! grin

Take care,

Rick

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
10 minutes 45 seconds ago
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
Today at 01:15 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 01:05 PM
piano sound is the result of more than just the hammer speed
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 01:05 PM
country style piano
by seniormoment
Today at 12:42 PM
Forum Stats
77383 Members
42 Forums
160041 Topics
2350202 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission