Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#1719098 - 07/23/11 01:01 AM Re: Teaching, some questions. [Re: Marianne Dashwood]
christineka Offline

Loc: Utah
I highly recommend the piano teachers' yahoo group to learn a lot about teaching piano. Their top recommended methods teach music with the landmark/interval method. The popular ones are: Celebrate Piano, Music Pathways, and Music Tree. I've taught a few kids with Celebrate Piano and Music Pathways. Both are great methods, but Celebrate Piano is geared toward the 6-8 year old. I'm very impressed with Celebrate Piano. My son is 8 years old, has played for a year and a half and can play in the key of F# major without flinching. He can even do it while reading the piece in the key of D flat. He can transpose better than I can and play lots of accidentals better than I can. He will be starting with a new teacher in the fall, who uses Artistry at the Piano. (Since she developed and wrote it.) I've heard glowing reports of how awesome Artistry is. I'm looking forward to learning more about it. Remember to buy the teacher's manual for any method you want to use. Also, offer lessons longer than 30 minutes. After a year, kids need longer lessons to be able to learn everything. Learning piano isn't just about playing the notes on the piano, but learning basic musicianship, composition, ear training, transposition, and so on.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1727354 - 08/05/11 04:01 PM Re: Teaching, some questions. [Re: Marianne Dashwood]
JoshWheeler Offline

Loc: Santa Clarita, California
Just to chime in with a lot of the all ready great advice -

Marketing

Website - definitely a must have now days
Facebook Account - great way to extend your network digitally as well
Business Cards - yup
Schools - let them know you exist, if parent's ask they may have a list they distribute
Music Stores

Methodology

I use four different methods for kids and the Alfred Adult All in One. I've found that certain children do better with different methodologies. As soon as it's practical and there's an interest, add additional music and excersises. I've found that my older child students gain a renewed interest when they don't feel that they're in a "kid book" any more.

#1747699 - 09/06/11 07:38 PM Re: Teaching, some questions. [Re: Marianne Dashwood]
mrscostco Offline

Loc: Texas

I'm interested in teaching piano & voice again after several years hiatus (I've been teaching elementary music/choir in the meantime). However, it seems as if there's a piano teacher on every block here in Dallas, but it's still what I would love to do, and we're in no position to move. I'm thinking of trying to advertise and see if I can cultivate some interest, but I'm already feeling discouraged and a bit intimidated. Does anyone have any advice specifically for teaching in what seems to be a saturated market?

Elementary Music/Choir Teacher

Estonia L190

#1755712 - 09/19/11 11:40 PM Re: Teaching, some questions. [Re: mrscostco]
Joe Valmonte Offline

@MrsCostco - Contrary to popular opinion, saturation is Excellent! People that move away from saturation and competition don't know how to express their value.

That is the perfect time to clean up and make a splash!

It's all about confidence and positioning.

The short answer: See what everyone else is doing...and do the opposite. You can do it!

#1756820 - 09/21/11 06:18 PM Re: Teaching, some questions. [Re: Marianne Dashwood]
mrscostco Offline

@Joe: Thanks for your encouragement. That is an interesting way to look at it! smile

Elementary Music/Choir Teacher

Estonia L190

#1782628 - 11/03/11 07:34 PM Re: Teaching, some questions. [Re: Marianne Dashwood]
pianomcl Offline

I totally agree with Josh - a good website is absolutely necessary! As far as I'm concerned, internet presence is the name of the game.

http://www.pianoblog.com - The Famous Piano Blog

#1785631 - 11/08/11 11:23 PM Re: Teaching, some questions. [Re: Marianne Dashwood]
Glowry Offline

Loc: Banned
I think music is a best way to less our depression, tension, pressure & all and piano is one & only instrument which is create a beautiful environment of joy & happiness I know because I an also a good piano player lolz....

#1796257 - 11/26/11 12:33 PM Re: Teaching, some questions. [Re: mrscostco]
lovelandpiano Offline

There is always a need for good music teachers... you just need to be different and get your name out there. A great website is a must.. that is how I get the majority of my students. I have doubled my studio size this last year, and grown 400% in the last two years... and that's with the crummy economy! I learned a lot about website design, search engine optimization, metatags, and more from www.musicacademysuccess.com. It is a coaching program designed for music school owners to improve and build their schools. I built my website on my own, with no previous experience, and I am now #1 in the Google rankings for my area. This is HUGE, and it is worth the investment in Music Academy Success right there. I have also made substantial improvements to the studio and have become a much better business owner and teacher. I would definitely recommend checking it out!
I wish you the best and hope you find your niche. Let me know if you have any questions or want to discuss ideas... I'm always looking for better ways to do things!
karen smile

#1806852 - 12/15/11 06:45 PM Re: Teaching, some questions. [Re: Marianne Dashwood]
trhmusic Offline

Marianne,
I have been teaching for 12 years. I love using the Alfred series for children! I know I saw several posts about them, there are several to look at. They also have a series for young children called Little Mozarts. That curriculum is set up like a story line with characters named Mozart Mouse and Beethoven Bear learning the piano as they go. The teachers kit comes with a stuffed bear and mouse, I have the bear sitting on the low end of the piano and the mouse sitting on the high end of the piano, this visually helps children in knowing the different ends and you can ask them if the sound is low like a bear or high like a mouse.

Not every child is going to learn the same way, so it is a good idea to try out a few different methods and see what you like most and what strengths or weaknesses are in each. Don't think you have to stick to just the books in a curriculum either, teachers often supplement with different kinds of music that the students are interested in learning. (I do Disney, Christmas, Pop, etc...)

I hope this helped!

Tracy Hall
www.trhmusic.org
"Bringing the joy of music to the next generation"

#1826001 - 01/16/12 04:07 PM Re: Teaching, some questions. [Re: swingal]
Miss Pam Offline

Loc: Seattle, Washington
"I rather have the feeling that the art of music is something deep inside the mind and senses that you either have or have not got."

I think music is equivalent to reading. No one says that you are a reader or not a reader. We expect everyone to read. It is just that some enjoy it more than others. I think that everyone should learn music. Not everyone will become musicians, but all will benefit from it.

"So many times I have seen children being taught the piano only to drop it eventually."

There are many reasons to stop something. As a kid, I quit piano at least twice, once because my teacher made me hate it. If she had been my first teacher, I never would have gone back to piano. Perhaps it isn't the student but the teacher? I don't take lessons now, partly because of cost and partly because I don't need lessons to learn at this point in my life. The point I'm making is that learning music should be motivating. I teach children from age 3 and they love their lessons.

"I wonder sometimes if the children got too much music in the house."

Are you serious? Is there such a thing as "too much music"?

I think it is very sad that you never learned to read music. There is so much music out there that you will never be able to play and so much more to music than just jazz. You obviously have an affinity toward music, why limit yourself to just one area? I teach my students how to play by ear as well as how to read. Both skills are important!

#1839104 - 02/05/12 04:35 PM Re: Teaching, some questions. [Re: Marianne Dashwood]
johnsmithlikespp Offline

Hi everybody!
Picking up from what Josh was saying a few months ago, I just found this webpage which seems a fine way to advertise ourselves. www.jukeboxlessons.com
I’ll be back in a couple of months to comment on the results.
Cheers

#1839840 - 02/06/12 09:54 PM Re: Teaching, some questions. [Re: Miss Pam]
Theme&Variations Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Miss Pam
I think music is equivalent to reading. No one says that you are a reader or not a reader. We expect everyone to read. It is just that some enjoy it more than others. I think that everyone should learn music. Not everyone will become musicians, but all will benefit from it.

What an interesting way of putting it; I like it!
ANZCA (Australian and New Zealand Cultural Arts),
KMEIA (Kodály Music Education Institute of Australia).

#1843721 - 02/13/12 10:03 AM Re: Teaching, some questions. [Re: jazzyclassical]
Ray Parkin Offline

Loc: Wigan, England.
Hello everyone!
I too am a new member, although I have been teaching for 40 years! - I only discovered this forum today, and it looks good.
At the moment I use The Music Tree but only the first two books (Time to Begin, and Book 1). Towards the end of Book 1, I begin to introduce The Russian School of Piano Playing, and also pieces from Mikrokosmos (Bartok). I also use some Rock pieces by David Helliwell (only available on the web: www.mdmusic.com) and various other pieces by various composers.
I find that this "diet" avoids two pitfalls: hand position problems, and only learning one kind of music. It gives the kind of mixture of repertoire which is progressive, whilst having sufficient variety in style to keep pupils both interested, and open to different kinds of music.
Does anyone else use The Russian School, or Mikrokosmos? - I haven't noticed them mentioned here, but I have not had time to look at everything yet! I would be interested to hear how others get on with them.

#1883669 - 04/21/12 01:20 PM Re: Teaching, some questions. [Re: Marianne Dashwood]
primavolta.co.uk Offline

Loc: UK
Spend time building up your resources, your 'toolkit' so to speak. To market your tuition we started out with local leaflets and a basic website. Aim to focus on keywords on your website so that Google picks it up and focus on using them well in your home page. Think about how to retain your early pupils. Feel free to look at www.primavolta.co.uk for ideas.

#1895349 - 05/11/12 12:30 PM Re: Teaching, some questions. [Re: Marianne Dashwood]
frankeric Offline

Loc: colorado
In my 60yrs on this planet I've learned that everyone has to make a living. However really good music teachers do it for the love of seeing a person progress not making money.
IMO

#1898927 - 05/18/12 12:49 AM Re: Teaching, some questions. [Re: Marianne Dashwood]
Mozart'sGal Offline

I found this thread rather interesting, as I myself plan to begin teaching in a couple years in much the same age group.

This is great!

Edited by Mozart'sGal (05/18/12 01:40 AM)

“It’s not what your are, it’s what you don’t become that hurts.”
~Oscar Levant

#1921314 - 07/01/12 03:08 AM Re: Teaching, some questions. [Re: Marianne Dashwood]
Dipsy Offline

I've just been asked to teach a 5 year old girl the piano ( I already teach her older sister). If anyone has any suggestions for resources/activities/music to help with this I'd be very grateful. She enjoys art and seems unable to concentrate for longer than about 10-15 mins.

#2027292 - 02/05/13 06:35 AM Re: Teaching, some questions. [Re: Marianne Dashwood]
rocklandpiano Offline

Are you looking for a good piano teacher? Great! Nothing can be more rewarding than learning to play the piano.
Plus, there are many real benefits to playing piano.
Players often talk of the stress relief of playing their piano and about “getting lost” in the experience for hours.

There are three keys to having a successful experience with piano lessons.

First, you need a good instrument in proper working condition.

Many people have failed at lessons due to a poor instrument, mistakenly thinking that they “just didn’t have the knack”

Next, you need a firm commitment to faithfully go to lessons and practice at home.

Give yourself at least a year or two. There will definitely come a time when a tricky exercise or difficult new song will frustrate you and make you (or your child) want to give up.
But imagine the sense of accomplishment that you will get when you finally master that troublesome piece of music.

The third key to succes is finding the right piano teacher.

But, not all piano teachers are created equal. Some teachers specialize in teaching children; others prefer adults.
Many take on beginners while a few focus only on advanced students. Some teachers use a classical-based curriculum, but others teach jazz and pop music.
Armed with the right questions, you’ll be able to filter through the choices and find the best piano teacher for you.
Piano players in Monsey, New York have relied on Charles Flaum since before 1990 for piano tuning, piano repairs and sage piano advice. Monsey, a family oriented village in Rockland County, is full of piano lovers with cherished pianos in their homes..

#2029647 - 02/09/13 03:59 AM Re: Teaching, some questions. [Re: Marianne Dashwood]
rocklandpiano Offline

I looked around and found a few links to threads that discuss this topic. You can probably find others by doing a search.

http://www.pianosupplies.com
All the Best.

Edited by Ken Knapp (02/09/13 05:46 AM)
Edit Reason: REMOVED ADVERTISING LINKS
Piano players in Monsey, New York have relied on Charles Flaum since before 1990 for piano tuning, piano repairs and sage piano advice. Monsey, a family oriented village in Rockland County, is full of piano lovers with cherished pianos in their homes..

#2253800 - 03/29/14 02:04 AM Re: Teaching, some questions. [Re: Marianne Dashwood]
Biffcooper Offline

Loc: 73 Via Pico Plaza, San Clement...
Film youtube videos to help your students remember what they learned after each lesson!

#2259365 - 04/09/14 09:44 PM Re: Teaching, some questions. [Re: Marianne Dashwood]
BostonTeacher Offline

For complete beginners I have been using the Piano Adventure series. I think they are better than Thompson and Alfred, and the other similar ones, but all in all I'm not happy because you are really limiting your students to play only music in C. At the beginning it's useful because they can't read well so they rely on finger numbers and they can start playing very quickly but once they're used to playing in C position , the right hand stays there for the preparatory and good part of level 1... It's very difficult to make them transition after more than a year being stuck in this hand position.
I try to only use the preparatory and level 1 books and once they're on level 1 I start introducing pieces such as Denes Agay The Joy of First Year Piano, which has pieces in different positions but as I said, even then, it takes a lot of time and resistance to get used to other positions.
I've been wanting to find a better way to get them started. At the very beginning you can pretty much get them used to whatever system you think it's best but which one to choose when there are so many?
I really admire the Russian school because they are able to transpose very easily.

Edited by BostonTeacher (04/09/14 09:46 PM)

#2259578 - 04/10/14 09:12 AM Re: Teaching, some questions. [Re: BostonTeacher]
Chrisl Online   content

Loc: Chicago, IL
Originally Posted By: BostonTeacher
For complete beginners I have been using the Piano Adventure series. I think they are better than Thompson and Alfred, and the other similar ones, but all in all I'm not happy because you are really limiting your students to play only music in C. At the beginning it's useful because they can't read well so they rely on finger numbers and they can start playing very quickly but once they're used to playing in C position , the right hand stays there for the preparatory and good part of level 1... It's very difficult to make them transition after more than a year being stuck in this hand position.
I try to only use the preparatory and level 1 books and once they're on level 1 I start introducing pieces such as Denes Agay The Joy of First Year Piano, which has pieces in different positions but as I said, even then, it takes a lot of time and resistance to get used to other positions.
I've been wanting to find a better way to get them started. At the very beginning you can pretty much get them used to whatever system you think it's best but which one to choose when there are so many?
I really admire the Russian school because they are able to transpose very easily.

Exactly! I was using Alfreds for a couple mos. before starting lessons. It does stay in middle C for way too long! My teacher has me using that exact Agay book bostonteacher mentioned, for this exact reason. And in fact, I'm now just starting to use other hand positions, and to be honest, it's still hard to move my hand and know where I am.

New sound setup: Midi out to macbook, FW 800 to Metric Halo LIO 8 DAC to HD650's. Very Nice.

#2316204 - 08/16/14 10:43 AM Re: Teaching, some questions. [Re: Marianne Dashwood]
Silver Keys Offline

Loc: Upstate N.Y.

I'm not a teacher, but thought I'd add my 2 cents. My teacher started me on the John Thompson books together with "Dozen A Day" and "Fingerpower". The latter two consist of short technical exercises. As I've progresses we've dropped the Thompson and I now mostly work on pieces, supplemented with Dozen A Day and Fingerpower.

Btw, +1 to the "mystique" of piano. Had it ever since I was a kid.

Edited by Silver Keys (08/16/14 10:48 AM)
Yamaha P155

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Isn't this a Better way to Measure After-touch?
by Paul678
10/31/14 09:33 AM
The cutest!
by Rich Galassini
10/31/14 09:12 AM
Midi keyboard full setup (Kawai VPC1 + .. ? )
by Rockstar
10/31/14 05:18 AM
knight piano returns?
by Jay
10/31/14 05:10 AM
Thinking of trading up to a baby grand...
by Anne H
10/31/14 03:22 AM
Who's Online
121 registered (angga888, ajames, ando, alberto, AnimistFvR, 40 invisible), 2091 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76712 Members
42 Forums
158633 Topics
2329837 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission