2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (bcalvanese, BillS728, APianistHasNoName, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, danno858, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Cashley Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
I watched an instructional video online.

He plays G note with his left hand, and on his right hand D major chord. He claims that it's a G9.

Now if a G9 is derived from a G dominant 7, the F natural note will represent the dominant 7th, meaning the F# would be cancelled, thus preventing a D major chord has a F#.

So a G on the left and a D major chord on the right, is it a G9 ?

B
B
I would not describe this as a G9, no.

Rather as:

Gmaj7/9

or:

D/G

or:

G[triangle]9

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
A G note in the LH and a D Major chord is a D/G. It isn't really a G chord at all if there's no B in it.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
B
B
Originally Posted by Kreisler
A G note in the LH and a D Major chord is a D/G. It isn't really a G chord at all if there's no B in it.

Yes, I agree that this is the best description of that chord, which is certainly a woefully inadequate example of a 'G9' chord.

W
W
I would call it a G Major 9, and not a G9. G9 should imply a dominant chord. Unfortunately this is put in to practice so inconsistently, that it's almost not worth complaining about. frown

Kreisler, about your missing B, I'll quote you from another thread: "voicing is an art" laugh Jazzers have a thing for the 3rd and 7th, but that doesn't mean everyone has to do it like that. If I want to leave out the 3rd in my voicing I will smile For that matter, I might choose to voice a GMaj9 with a single note: the root.

Last edited by wavelength; 03/24/10 11:50 PM.
R
R
No, it is not a G9.

Chords constructed of 3rds are called tertian chords. To create a 9th chord you add a note to a 7th chord that is a 3rd above the 7th, which is the 9th. The 9th degree is actually the same note as the 2nd but it is an octave higher. A 9th chord is an extended chord because it has a note that is more than an octave from the root. To create an 11th chord you would add the 11th note from the root, and to make a 13th chord, add the 13th note. That is as far as we can go because the 15th note is the same note as the root. A 13th chord is a very big chord. It contains 7 notes. It has every note in the scale in it.

It is not easy to play all those notes so we usually leave out the lower notes in extended chords, but they really need the root note in the bass.

The notes in a G9 chord are GBDFA (add CE to make a 13th) You could leave out the bottom notes and play DFA. That is a Dm chord. So a Dm chord over a G bass note is the same as a G9. And a Dm7 over a G bass is the same as a G11. Dm over G is known as a slash chord because it is written Dm/G

To complicate things a little more any note in a chord can be altered to create an altered chord. So you could have a major 7th interval instead of the minor 7th. This would give you the same as D/G. Altered chords usually have the alteration in brackets after the chord. This could be written G9(maj7)or G little triagle 9

C
Cashley Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
I know an easier way to identify the chord is a D/G. But you have to study the context of the question.

The instructor is trying explain that one can always modify a 7th chord to a 9th chord, by not having to count, but simply add a major chord on the 5th note of the original triad.

In the case of G, the 5th note is D. So instead of counting 7th, 8th and 9th, use slash chord technique and add a D major chord to the 5th note of G. And he claims is a G9. But the doubt that lurks behind my mind is if it's a G9, it implies G dominant 9, which necessitates the inclusion of a F natural.

B
B
Your doubt is well-founded. The lowered 7th is always assumed in chord extensions, whereas the major 7th should *always* be specifically indicated.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission