Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
72 registered (AtlantisHero, bennevis, Astronomas, 19 invisible), 1229 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.
(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1402950 - 03/24/10 06:03 PM Yamaha C2 price
wando Offline

One Yamaha authorized dealer is offering me a $15000 inclusive (tax and delivery) on a brand new C2 grand piano. Is this a good buy? I searched the discussion forum and saw one thread back in 2006 regarding the C2 pricing.

Can anyone comment on today's price on Yamaha C2 since the economy is still not doing very well in general. Can I find a better deal than $15,000.

They also offer me Yamaha GC1 polished Ebony for $11,000 all inclusive.

Which one is a better buy?? I like the touch and sound with both piano.. please help!!

Also, if I live in CA but willing to buy piano in AZ, would I be able to skip paying tax if buy with AZ dealer?

Thanks for all your help!!

Edited by wando (03/24/10 06:21 PM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1402964 - 03/24/10 06:22 PM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: wando]
showpro Offline

That sounds like a very good price, in my market. Lowest I was offered was $16,500.

The tax issue is for you to figure out. smile

#1402976 - 03/24/10 06:39 PM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: showpro]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
I don't understand. According to this page:

http://ebookofpiano.com/pricepointpiano/yamaha.htm

the cheapest new C2 lists at $26,164. I understand that the actual price can be cheaper than what's listed, but 42% cheaper?!!

Is this kind of massive reduction standard these days, or is this listing from ebookofpiano.com not to be trusted? As someone starting to look for a piano, I'd really like to know! smile

-Jason

#1402996 - 03/24/10 07:05 PM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: beet31425]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The Yamaha MSRP on a new C2PE is $34,699. Backing the sales tax and a nominal delivery fee from $15k leaves a selling price of about $13650. This is well below the dealer cost of a new C2. This is why when I read this bull sh.t I can only shake my head. Then to read "is this a good deal?" Then to read on about buying in another state to save the tax. What a load. And, all from a new first post.

Either the poster is a liar, the dealer is a liar, the piano is not new, the piano is bootlegged from out of the country, the seller is selling out of trust and planning to flee the country and his creditors.

No authorized new Yamaha dealer is going to sell new pianos for materially less than he paid for them. He owes the bank more than these prices.

#1403002 - 03/24/10 07:16 PM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: Marty Flinn]
wando Offline

Dear Marty Flinn.. although I am a new member on this forum, I can assure you I can NOT A LIAR.. I am simply very confused and need help
The dealer is a very big chain company (all 6 stores together)..
Now I am not sure what happen if I bought the piano and they close the store..

I was told the piano is brand new but I need to confirm the year on the piano..

You mentioned that "the piano is bootlegged from out of the country" how can I confirm from the dealer this piano is not bootlegged from out of country..

Can you also comment on the GC1 price of $11000?
Thanks for your help and I really want a piano but don't want to
overpay..

#1403022 - 03/24/10 07:41 PM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: wando]
Stevester Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
How much for a brand new USA C3?

anon

#1403023 - 03/24/10 07:44 PM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: Stevester]
wando Offline

Hi Stevester, I was shopping for GB1 and GC1 and never thought about C2.. but they happen to have sale on this C2.. I didn't even ask for C3 since C2 would be too good to be true for me already smile

#1403030 - 03/24/10 08:06 PM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: wando]
Radio.Octave Offline

If the piano is new, that sounds like a nice deal. I recently got to try a bunch of new Yamahas, and the C-series were nicer than the G's.

The dealer I was at said the price of their C3 was 30K. This was the first price they gave, so I'm sure there was some room for negotiation. Anyway, if you like the C2, it sounds like a good deal.

Make sure the dealer is an authorized Yamaha dealer, and maybe get the serial # on the piano and verify it is what they say. I don't know how long the Yamaha warranties are, but even if the dealer goes out of business, you would be covered by Yamaha.

#1403045 - 03/24/10 08:34 PM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: Radio.Octave]
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
I can confirm that the price quoted on the C2 is below dealer cost.

Something is wrong here.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1403063 - 03/24/10 09:08 PM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: Steve Cohen]
Deerwood Dad Offline

Loc: Minneapolis
Having a bad day, Marty?

Unless there's something unique about Yamahas and Yamaha dealers (i.e., different than dealers of other brands of equal or greater reputation), there are occasional contexts in which a new piano gets sold for less than cost. I know (very well) of persons who received similar opportunistic deals, in one case from dealer that was retiring and in another case from a dealer that was changing lines and was p!ssed off at the vendor of the line being discontinued. In each case, for whatever reason, the dealer was intent on moving the piano for a rock bottom price. Did they lose money? Who knows. In each case, the piano checked out as brand spanking new and not old or "B" stock and backed by the full manufacturers warranty (checked out with the company itself).

Bottom line -- these deals occasionally come along, and what's wrong with a lucky customer taking advantage of them? I know it rubs dealers the wrong way (especially in these hard times) to have people post of such opportunities, but insinuating a new poster (whom you have never met) of bad faith or worse is not really 100% fair. Just my opinion.

#1403082 - 03/24/10 09:41 PM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: Deerwood Dad]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Let me get this straight. The seller makes a sale at $13,650 before tax and delivery expenses. Gives all that cash (in addition to perhaps the discount to the credit card company) to the flooring company and then has to write a personal check to the flooring company for several hundred dollars to cover the balance. Makes no sense.

The poster claims this is a "brand new piano" not some dog that has been on hand for several years and through several price increases and may be in fact paid off by the dealer.

#1403088 - 03/24/10 09:46 PM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: Deerwood Dad]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Wando,

The price on the GC1, IMHO, is just as specious and unreal as the C2.

Get the serial numbers and contact Yamaha Corporation of America for verfications: new never sold, year of manufacture, built for North America, and wholesaled to the seller through YCA.

The fact that these prices were "offered" to you in such an unprofessional manner that you seek guidance here on the Forum that you fear you "may be overpaying" leaves my breathless.

#1403143 - 03/24/10 11:15 PM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: Marty Flinn]
wando Offline

Thanks everyone for your reply. I appreciate all the information I can get in this forum.

Dear Marty Flinn, Thanks for the tips, I will verify all items you mentioned to make sure. If this piano indeed is not brand new but 2 years old, does this mean this piano already depreciated 18% in price? I will verify with the seller. I am new in this and very nervous on investing this huge amount of money on one item. However, any guidance is welcomed and appreciated.

Should I hire a piano technician to inspect the piano before I make my final decision?

#1403217 - 03/25/10 01:49 AM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: wando]
showpro Offline

When I was shopping, I was offered a new GC1 for 11,000. But it was a 2007 model.

Some of the dealers around here (Seattle) have bought up stock from other dealers who folded due to the recession. There are some real deals to be had on brand new pianos.

#1403235 - 03/25/10 02:50 AM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: wando]
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Originally Posted By: wando
Dear Marty Flinn.. although I am a new member on this forum, I can assure you I can NOT A LIAR.. I am simply very confused and need help
The dealer is a very big chain company (all 6 stores together)..
Now I am not sure what happen if I bought the piano and they close the store..

I was told the piano is brand new but I need to confirm the year on the piano..

You mentioned that "the piano is bootlegged from out of the country" how can I confirm from the dealer this piano is not bootlegged from out of country..

Can you also comment on the GC1 price of $11000?
Thanks for your help and I really want a piano but don't want to
overpay..

There are several resources available online to get accurate pricelists for pianos. There's a link on this page to the Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer which will answer all your questions on pricing. You say you don't want to overpay but my biggest concern with the prices you quoted here would be why are these pianos so underpriced.
Marty makes a very logical argument. Why would a retailer sell something for less than he paid for it? Doesn't that make you suspicious? Why not ask the dealer why he is offering to sell you a new piano for less than he has presumably paid for it? There's nothing wrong with a really good deal, but there is always a reason for a good deal. I would want to be sure I'm not being decieved.
You worry about overpaying, but why not be concerned with finding a piano that you will love to play. If you don't care about that then there are pianos for a lot less than $15000. Do your homework, play lots and lots of pianos and you'll be happy in the end.

Pianist, Composer
Disclaimer: Shigeru Kawai Artist

#1403307 - 03/25/10 07:12 AM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: wando]
Lushey1 Offline

Loc: Melbourne-Australia
I'm with Marty on this one.Check this piano thoroughly when it is being offered at that price.
Actually,here's what happens if you pay a fair price to your local dealer;Good chance of your dealer staying in business,shop employees keep their jobs,all local businesses benefit and,above all,you WILL get better service.Don't tell me you are going to get first class service at this price,

Ian
Kawai RX6 Blak,Steinway upright,Yamaha upright,Roland RD700NX,Korg Kronos

#1403377 - 03/25/10 09:44 AM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: Marty Flinn]
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
Originally Posted By: Marty Flinn
Wando,
The fact that these prices were "offered" to you in such an unprofessional manner that you seek guidance here on the Forum that you fear you "may be overpaying" leaves my breathless.

Marty,

What is the professional way to offer a price?

Wando,

The C2 is worth more than the 4k difference over the GC1 for most users. That would be true whether it is a C2M current production model or a leftover C2L, provided that a leftover does not have a history of rental use or documented problems. You have said that you like the tone and touch of both. That would indicate that you are not particularly fussy, but even so I'd recommend the C2.

The part of CA that borders Arizona does not have many (if any) authorized Yamaha retailers with six locations. Assuming that the prices are real, the pianos are new in the conventional sense of the word, and both you and the offers are legitimate, I would advise you to make no further public disclosures here until you either buy one of these pianos or make up your mind not to.

#1403409 - 03/25/10 10:25 AM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: turandot]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
My local dealer is buying new pianos from other stores that are going under and offering very low prices on these new pianos with full warranty. These low prices are very possible...

Edited by Mark... (03/25/10 10:25 AM)

#1403412 - 03/25/10 10:35 AM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: Mark...]
Steve Cohen Offline

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Originally Posted By: Mark...
My local dealer is buying new pianos from other stores that are going under and offering very low prices on these new pianos with full warranty. These low prices are very possible...

Marty and I, and many other dealers here know the deals being made due to store closures, bankruptcies, etc. Even under those circumstances, a dealer could not sell at or below the regular wholssale and stay in business. The savings on purchasing under those circumstances simply isn't enough.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1403438 - 03/25/10 11:19 AM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: Steve Cohen]
Deerwood Dad Offline

Loc: Minneapolis
Originally Posted By: Steve Cohen
Originally Posted By: Mark...

Marty and I, and many other dealers here know the deals being made due to store closures, bankruptcies, etc. Even under those circumstances, a dealer could not sell at or below the regular wholssale and stay in business. The savings on purchasing under those circumstances simply isn't enough (that is, unless piano store closing/bankruptcies are somehow unique).

In "store closures, bankruptcies, etc." the dealer isn't staying in business. Frequently, and to the chagrin of other retailers of the same products, the closing or bankrupt store is simply trying to move stock, and sales below cost happen all the time.

#1403450 - 03/25/10 11:38 AM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: Deerwood Dad]
Steve Jackson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto

Hey, you are all right! However, in a piano store closing the pianos are reposessed by the finance company who want their money back, plus the cost of moving and business overhead. If it's old 'new' stock with a smaller amount owing on it, it is possible to be below the cost of a new from today piano, although I can't think of that ever happening when you add the collection costs and overheads. If it's a true deal, he should run and grab it. Marty is rightfully upset, as the poster who can buy a new piano for less than he can wholesale, posts publicly if it's a good deal and then wants to save on taxes. It's frustrating for the long term dealers, and others who see this post will be unwilling to believe a new piano costs what it does. After all, it says on the Internet that a new one can be had for blah blah.

Take care,

Steve

http://stevejacksonpianos.com

#1405226 - 03/27/10 11:29 PM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: Steve Jackson]
JRod Offline

Loc: United States
I'm still in the search for a piano. I've returned to the kawai/yamaha dealer (seems odd that he is a dealer for both... that's like a new car dealer selling chevy and ford). At any rate I really like the Yamaha C2 and the Kawai RX2. The Kawai has a slightly warmer (less bright) sound, but I'd be perfectly happy with either one in my home. After spending more than an hour of talking with him, he said he'd sell me a new (on the show room floor) C2 polished ebony for $16,800, a brand new RX2 polished ebony still in the box with the carbon fiber action for $15,600, or a 3 year old RX2 satin ebony (used only for 1 day rentals) for a little over 13K. None of the prices include tax, but do include delivery, a home tuning and the 10 year manufacturer warranty. Seems like all three are pretty good deals.... Its funny how you set a budget on what you are willing to spend, and before you know it, you are looking at pianos well beyond what you set for a budget....

#1405227 - 03/27/10 11:32 PM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: JRod]
damartinca Offline

Loc: California
Wow, that is pretty incredible pricing. I was just quoted $23k for an RX2 Blak.

#1405242 - 03/27/10 11:52 PM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: damartinca]
piano_tech chris Offline

Loc: South Central PA
could they be quoting you on the GC2? I believe that is a newer model as of the past year or two.

If it is indeed a C2, sounds like a pretty amazing deal, but like others have advised, it sounds too good to be true.

Good luck!

Edited by piano_tech chris (03/27/10 11:57 PM)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Smiths-Piano-Service/346926470248

#1405244 - 03/27/10 11:54 PM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: damartinca]
JRod Offline

I was talking directly with the owner, and the RX2 Blak was quoted at 15,600. Its slightly more than I wanted to spend, but what a great instrument...

#1405245 - 03/27/10 11:56 PM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: piano_tech chris]
JRod Offline

Originally Posted By: piano_tech chris
could they be quoting you on the GC2? I believe that is a newer model as of the past year or two.

If it is indeed a C2, sounds like a pretty amazing deal!

Good luck!

No, he quoted the GC2 at a little 15K.

#1405248 - 03/28/10 12:00 AM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: piano_tech chris]
Norbert Offline

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Quote:
RX2 polished ebony still in the box with the carbon fiber action for $15,600,

Any dealer selling pianos straight from box is one I would run, not walk from.

Ironically some people, especially oriental buyers, believe a piano straight out of crate is better.

Dealers who know this often charge even more for such piano than the "old one" sitting prepped on dealer's floor.

These 'old ones' are sometimes being presumptiously called "Festival return" for which some dealers charge actually *less*

As for some kind of inferior product...

It's sure a wondrous world out there.

Or is it a case of almost fatal depreciation?

Norbert frown

Edited by Norbert (03/28/10 12:09 AM)

#1405285 - 03/28/10 01:47 AM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: Norbert]
JRod Offline

Do pianos from the manufacturer not come in a crate of some sort? I figured his point was that the piano was brand new, and had not been sitting for a year on a showroom floor, although I may be wrong, as I'm definitely not an expert (when it comes to the piano business anyway). I'm certain he would prep the piano, and tune it at his location, allowing me to audition it, before making any final decisions.

#1405307 - 03/28/10 03:36 AM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: JRod]
sunny_sc Offline

Would $13,000 +tax for a brand new GC1 be a reasonble price? Again, thats fairly far off the mark from the prices on the ebookofpiano link.

#1405369 - 03/28/10 08:52 AM Re: Yamaha C2 price [Re: sunny_sc]
Stevester Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Of course he is going to prep the piano right out of the box. It sounds like you are getting some very favorable pricing and it sounds like you are going to have a new piano very soon.

anon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Concert prep
by SMHaley
Today at 12:19 AM
Gillette Piano Academy
by Jonathan Baker
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
I need help with these music sheet symbols
by Cristian88
Yesterday at 10:46 PM
Need help identifying Young Chang grand
by electone2007
Yesterday at 07:42 PM
Anyone have a burglar step on his grand piano?
by swampwiz
Yesterday at 07:16 PM
Forum Stats
77000 Members
42 Forums
159257 Topics
2339499 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission