Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1403239 - 03/25/10 03:02 AM Used Yamaha P-150 vs New P-85 or Casio PX-730
zxcjason Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC
I'm looking for a MIDI controller to use with a software synth. I just need good key action (I'm a classically trained piano and used to acoustics) and compatibility with continuous pedals, sound is not important. I don't want to spend a lot of money with it, I found some candidates:

1. Used P-150 for $450 CAD, i heard that build quality is really good. Assuming the condition is good, is this a good idea?

2. New P-85 for about $800 after tax. The action were slightly worse than the P-155 or CP-33 but those cost almost twice as much.

3. New Casio PX-730 for about $700 after tax. Action felt slightly worse than the P-85.

If you have experience with the 3 pianos, how would you compare the P-150 vs the P-85 and PX-730. Would like to get some ideas first before making the trip down to meet the owner of P-150

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1403476 - 03/25/10 12:25 PM Re: Used Yamaha P-150 vs New P-85 or Casio PX-730 [Re: zxcjason]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
The P150 is quite old and was designed as a stage piano. I'd be inclined to find out as much as possible about this particular instrument's history before deciding if it's going to be a reliable controller. Also, the Yamaha "Action Effect II" in the P150 may not be graded - is that important to you? The P150 does not have USB out but does have standard 5-pin midi ports. It also has some dedicated control features.

The new Casio PX range has a tri-sensor graded action which is supposed to help with dynamics during rapid repetition. I'm not sure if the P85 has something similar. I've found the PX-330 to have a pretty good action with good response, given how lightweight it is. However, it doesn't feel exactly like any acoustic I've played.

The PX-730 is very limited when it comes to control features, and also has only a USB connection - no standard midi ports. Personally, I'd be inclined to consider the 330 with its additional features - price should be similar.

#1403503 - 03/25/10 01:09 PM Re: Used Yamaha P-150 vs New P-85 or Casio PX-730 [Re: voxpops]
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/chron.php

P150 is from 1996, too old to even bother imo.

if you like Casio PX series (PX130,330,etc), then check it at some Guitar center or buy it online for about $500.

#1403505 - 03/25/10 01:11 PM Re: Used Yamaha P-150 vs New P-85 or Casio PX-730 [Re: zxcjason]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
I think the CP33 would be your best bet. Price has just come down to $999 (USD) The piano is well built to stand up to frequent transport and it uses the same GH key action as the P155. The P85 uese the GHS which I think is to light and springy. For your purposes I'd say buy the piano with the best key action even if the price is slightly higher. Figure you are going to get 1,500 or 2,000 hours of use from the point so the cost is 25 cents per hour more? big deal.

The cp33 also has many nice midi features that can be assigned to controls things on the computer.

The three sensor keyboards use the third sensor to control the damper. These 3-sensors designs damp the note after more key raise than a two sensor key so you can replay the note before the first note terminates. They do NOT allow a faster repeated rate but they do allow a note to be repeated without fisrt being damped, like on a grand piano. I'm not yet at that level of playing. None of the portable Yamahas have this feature but neither do upright acoustic pianos.

#1403612 - 03/25/10 03:20 PM Re: Used Yamaha P-150 vs New P-85 or Casio PX-730 [Re: ChrisA]
zxcjason Offline

This is actually going to be my secondary piano, just for some occassional quiet practise, and theory or compositional work I want to do inside my room, so I'm actually not sure how much I'll be using it and don't want to spend a lot of money.

I in fact tried the CP-33 and it is the closest thing to what I want, but it's way more than what I'm willing to pay. Here in Canada it costs $1300 + tax, which is way more than what I'm willing to pay (add in the cost for stand and a pedal it will be over $1500 after everything)

I'm not particularly concerned with graded action. In fact in my many years of piano playing I never noticed that the keys on the low end are heavier. But of course I'll need to try the piano to make sure.

#1403620 - 03/25/10 03:32 PM Re: Used Yamaha P-150 vs New P-85 or Casio PX-730 [Re: signa]
zxcjason Offline

Originally Posted By: signa

if you like Casio PX series (PX130,330,etc), then check it at some Guitar center or buy it online for about $500.

Does the PX330 has the same keyboard as PX730? It is nice to have some additional control feature and MIDI port, but overall the Yamaha keys feel a bit better. I can't find it in store here in Vancouver though (found the PX730 in a couple of costcos, that's about it).

Edited by zxcjason (03/25/10 03:32 PM)

#1403652 - 03/25/10 04:10 PM Re: Used Yamaha P-150 vs New P-85 or Casio PX-730 [Re: zxcjason]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: zxcjason
Originally Posted By: signa

Does the PX330 has the same keyboard as PX730? It is nice to have some additional control feature and MIDI port, but overall the Yamaha keys feel a bit better. I can't find it in store here in Vancouver though (found the PX730 in a couple of costcos, that's about it).

I think the keyboards are the same across the PX-x30 series of Privia models.

#1403728 - 03/25/10 06:12 PM Re: Used Yamaha P-150 vs New P-85 or Casio PX-730 [Re: zxcjason]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: zxcjason
This is actually going to be my secondary piano, just for some occassional quiet practise, and theory or compositional work I want to do inside my room, so I'm actually not sure how much I'll be using it and don't want to spend a lot of money.

I in fact tried the CP-33 and it is the closest thing to what I want, but it's way more than what I'm willing to pay.

Then why not go for the PX130? All the -30 Casios have the same key action. May as well buy the cheapest model if you are only going to be used as a MIDI controller. They are $499 here. CAD and USD exchange at almost one to one right now, maybe worth driving down to Guitar center in Seattle or buy on-line You really can buy a CP33 for $999 in the US.

#1403764 - 03/25/10 07:09 PM Re: Used Yamaha P-150 vs New P-85 or Casio PX-730 [Re: ChrisA]
zxcjason Offline

Originally Posted By: ChrisA
CAD and USD exchange at almost one to one right now, maybe worth driving down to Guitar center in Seattle or buy on-line You really can buy a CP33 for $999 in the US.

Hey that's a great idea. I checked the Guitar Centre website, and also found the Studiologic SL-990XP which is less than $400, how do you guys feel about this one.

And the Studiologic NUMA is $1200 (it costs $1700 here). I heard great things about the action, so maybe if I stretch my budget to get the CP33 in the US I shall consider this as well.

One thing though, the studiologic keyboards are only on special orders. Anyone have experience with special order items with Guitar Centre? Do they allow refund for it? I've read some threads about faulty NUMAs on the forum, so that is important to me.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
160 registered (255, AEMontoya, accordeur, *windowlicker*, 36251, 54 invisible), 1414 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157143 Topics
2307861 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano with Willie
by Nikalette
08/29/14 12:58 PM
How to practice a fast piece for amateur competitions
by RonaldSteinway
08/29/14 11:56 AM
Cromatic lead in Elton John song
by Visalia
08/29/14 11:56 AM
Chopin experts: this is driving me nuts
by riley80
08/29/14 09:40 AM
At Last - My VPC1 is Ordered!
by EmptySpace
08/29/14 09:32 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission