Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1405348 - 03/28/10 07:21 AM Re: Does anyone do progress reports? [Re: keystring]
Elissa Milne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Originally Posted By: keystring
Small children are fascinated by a thing and pursue it for no other purpose. There is an inner drive. The toddler learning to walk, or get at the cookie jar, is absolutely focused on that task. The skills he acquires while scheming to get at the cookies are secondary. If as adults we could be as focussed and single-minded, the things we could achieve! But society interferes with this natural ability. We start directing people. They should not do math because it's interesting, but because they will get high marks and our approval. We call this "motivation". It isn't. That is ... the child no longer aims to excel at math. He aims to get good grades. That is something else. The math. itself is no longer interesting or important. He is disengaged from his activities. What he does at school is for the teacher or adults. His real interests and pursuits are the other things he does. It is an alienation.

We have induced kids to work toward external secondary things which are other people's goals, and not their own. The grades, diplomas, stars on the wall comparing him with other kids, are all part of it. That is his world and so it becomes his mentality. That does not mean it is human nature. IF music can be a personal interest, pursued with fascination for its own sake, then instituting that same thing will kill it the same way. That is, the kid will practice for approval, grades etc. But he himself won't be in it in the same way. Will he dare explore and play, during which he risks making mistakes, if approval and high grades are at stake? It's a sad thought.

Keystring, I agree with you completely!!!!!!

My students who ask "but why do I have to learn this?" are not at all 'motivated'! They are working to rule, working to the certificate, the percentile, and the need to be seen to be something or some other thing.

I'm only interested in the students who are interested in learning. Interested in certificate collecting? In trophy acquisition? In being ranked number 1? Well, you know, you might well achieve all those things while you learn with me, but it's unlikely you'll be interested in becoming a musician, and imagine the waste of time you will find all the activities I assign which help you develop your musical skills for life?!

The most motivated students (motivated to learn) are also motivated to achieve, but students who are only motivated to achieve don't seem to care so much for learning.........
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1405361 - 03/28/10 08:15 AM Re: Does anyone do progress reports? [Re: Elissa Milne]
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Originally Posted By: Elissa Milne

I'm only interested in the students who are interested in learning. Interested in certificate collecting? In trophy acquisition? In being ranked number 1? Well, you know, you might well achieve all those things while you learn with me, but it's unlikely you'll be interested in becoming a musician, and imagine the waste of time you will find all the activities I assign which help you develop your musical skills for life?!
Music learning is and needs to to be a much broader church. After all, you'd tell your children anything to get them out of a burning building!

#1405465 - 03/28/10 12:16 PM Re: Does anyone do progress reports? [Re: keyboardklutz]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"Math teachers don't gripe about kids not doing homework. If they don't, they fail them. So most do the work."

Well, many. I recall a little scene from a college math class: a young lady was making cow eyes at the prof, trying to get him to confer a passing grade. "Mooooo," she was saying. "MOOOOOOO!!!" He was as pleasant and encouraging as could be with her (though I remember his suggesting she study), then time came to begin the class, and he broke free from the sidewalk embrace of the importuneress.

"That guy just doesn't like me--- I don't know why!" she wailed to no one in particular. Indeed, no one was listening.

It crossed my mind that I had seen her for, maybe, as many as one-quarter of the classes. I had never seen her hand-in a homework assignment. Had never seen her face in the library. Etc. I remember wondering, "How did she get into college?" It was a question I was never to answer.

However, I had observed her, many times, gossiping in the refectory with her buddies, before a table spread with greasy plates, jumbo-sized sugary soft drinks, and french fry wrappers, and no books.

She got an F in the math course (she complained loudly about it); the refectory colloquia were ungraded but she would have gotten at least a C+ if a grade had been granted.

So there, Tim. What do you have to say for structured learning now?

**********************************************************************************

depiction of the future redacted as both cruel and obvious

#1405489 - 03/28/10 12:44 PM Re: Does anyone do progress reports? [Re: Jeff Clef]
keyboardklutz Offline

Do you think you could get rid of some of those stars now? Point taken.

#1405524 - 03/28/10 01:25 PM Re: Does anyone do progress reports? [Re: keyboardklutz]
Lollipop Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia
My daughter attended a symposium on "Engaged Learning" last Friday at her college. She said it was attended predominantly by faculty, but a few students were invited, mainly from the Arts fields (she is a junior, violin major).

She found it very interesting in general, and thought-provoking. Toward the end, when they were drawing conclusions, many seemed to be determining that grades were unnecessary and counter productive. She said she was beginning to get discouraged and frustrated and nervous with their conclusions, but without words to explain why. Finally, another student spoke up and said no, we need grades.

Some of the points made included:
1. Grades provide motivation during those periods when internal motivation is ebbing.

2. Grades provide objective feedback, rather than "teacher likes me" or not. For non-musical parents, it also provides information they can't get by listening. (I've previewed potential recital pieces with parents in the room, who then negate the choise because it "sounds too easy." When the kid actually begins learning it, the parents are astounded at how much trouble the student is having with it. I suspect these parents are ones at recital who thinks everyone who makes a mistake is playing something harder than those who play smoothly. No way a recital would be an effective progress report for that parent.)

3. Grades are only effective when they evaluate appropriate, and attainable goals. The gym teacher who gives all football players A's, and everyone else gets B's, gives a certain message. The band teacher who grades solely on attendance gives a certain message. The language arts teachers who assigns an essay to build creativity, and then grades on font size, gives a certain message. Therefore, before creating your evaluation rubrik, consider what you want to evaluate, and what message you want to send.

I love internal motivation. Listening to a quality youth orchestra can be exciting, because the students are playing purely for the love of it. On the other hand, take away the paycheck and annual reviews of symphony members, and I do not believe it would be an effective way to keep those professionals motivated and engaged.

#1405539 - 03/28/10 01:50 PM Re: Does anyone do progress reports? [Re: Lollipop]
Elissa Milne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The major reason a paycheck keeps people motivated is not that these musicians need a financial incentive to make music but that they need to pay the bills one way or another, and if they spend 40-50 hours a week doing something non-musical to make a living then by necessity they have 40-50 hours less per week in which to make music.

I could make great money turning my intellect to another profession - and yet I work in music making not great money at all!! Of course, I receive other kinds of 'rewards' but grades are not part of this 'motivation'.

Students at college are already in a particular learning environment in which most of the activities would seem pointless without a grade being attached: the students are there specifically to gain a qualification! So this group is self-selecting to prefer grades, and they enculturated to find a grade providing a sense of purpose to their work.

But when discussing how humans learn it is clear that most great discoveries, great creativity and great intellectual developments occur in a grade-free environment! So what motivates these people?!

#1405545 - 03/28/10 01:53 PM Re: Does anyone do progress reports? [Re: Elissa Milne]
keyboardklutz Offline

But when discussing how humans learn it is clear that most great discoveries, great creativity and great intellectual developments occur in a grade-free environment! So what motivates these people?!
These people are adults. The majority being grateful for being prodded at some point along their intellectual journey.

#1405580 - 03/28/10 02:43 PM Re: Does anyone do progress reports? [Re: keyboardklutz]
Elissa Milne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: keyboardklutz
These people are adults. The majority being grateful for being prodded at some point along their intellectual journey.

So.... infants/toddlers/children up to the age of about ... 8/9? 11/12? are motivated by interest in acquiring skills and learning about the world..... and adults don't need external motivation...... so are we narrowing this 'motiviation' thing down to teenagers? That matches a lot of brain development research, actually!!

#1405629 - 03/28/10 03:37 PM Re: Does anyone do progress reports? [Re: Elissa Milne]
keyboardklutz Offline

Yes, that's a point - otherwise they disappear into a world of MSN and Facebook.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway piano with two offset keyboards
by guyl
17 minutes 44 seconds ago
Black and white dampers
by iLaw
58 minutes 27 seconds ago
AUGUST FORSTER
by Karl Watson
Today at 09:05 AM
Piano lessons: every week or every two weeks?
by Pover
Today at 06:34 AM
Anything better than the Yamaha CLP-990 yet?
by pianelmo
Today at 04:49 AM
Who's Online
144 registered (Alexander Borro, angga888, ajames, accordeur, AndresD, 38 invisible), 1492 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76633 Members
42 Forums
158468 Topics
2327131 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission