Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1389895 - 03/06/10 06:01 PM Piano Adventures Study Group
Nguyen Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Hi all,
I’m an Adult beginner. I started as a casual student self training myself the Alfred Adult series since April, 2009. Recently, I sensed that I have become a little addicted to this casual endeavor.

I find myself feeling guilty if I don’t practice every night. I read almost anything I can get my eyes on about piano and piano studies. I devoted myself to Digital Piano research, for I can’t practice at night on an Acoustic, to improve my learning and practicing with a better key action keyboard. I research the pros and cons of studying, training with and without a teacher. And finally I decided to get serious and study with a teacher.

My teacher is teaching me the Faber & Faber Piano Adventures series. So I have to stop my Alfred series and restart myself with Piano Adventures.

I google Piano Adventures to see if we have any thread in the past, as I have heard there’s a thread for PA but it died out. I came up empty. If there was, I couldn’t locate it.

So I go ahead and create this thread. Hopefully some of you out there are following this method and join me sharing our ups and downs, progresses and joys of Piano study. I hope to have a group study like our Alfred threads. It’s a bit lonely going it alone without anyone to chat, share, inspire, motivate or even argue with as we move along.

I’m looking forward to seeing and studying with you.

Nguyen

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1390634 - 03/07/10 05:38 PM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Nguyen]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I see that you haven't gotten any takers yet, Nguyen. Here is the link to the old Faber Adult thread which died out from lack of participation:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1098936/Re:%20Faber%20and%20Faber%20Adult%20All%20.html#Post1098936

I think there may have been one or two people in the thread who used the regular Piano Adventures.

I still use my Faber Adult book as a supplement. In fact, I've been using it quite a bit lately, as the pieces are easier than the ones in Alfred 2, so they are like a review, only with new material.

Well, this will at least bump your post up to the first page again, and perhaps someone using PA will see it and join in.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1390699 - 03/07/10 07:25 PM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: mom3gram]
Volusiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Nguyen, do you know that the Faber folks have their own forum over at their website? See this link here. It's not gigantic like over here at PW, but it has strong focus on PA materials. Check it out. Maybe starting a thread for a study group there would be more effective, if they don't already have one.

Also another cool website you may want to check out is musictheory.net. I find the lessons and trainers exercises there to be very helpful.

#1391398 - 03/08/10 02:35 PM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: mom3gram]
Nguyen Offline

Originally Posted By: mom3gram
…Well, this will at least bump your post up to the first page again, and perhaps someone using PA will see it and join in.
mom3gram, you’re always my best cheerleader. I appreciate it very much. For some reason I couldn’t locate the PA thread when I googled it. Did you do anything special? Anyway, since this thread is already created, I guess we don’t need to revive that anymore.

#1391418 - 03/08/10 03:01 PM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Volusiano]
Nguyen Offline

Originally Posted By: Volusiano
Nguyen, do you know that the Faber folks have their own forum over at their website? See this link here. It's not gigantic like over here at PW, but it has strong focus on PA materials. Check it out. Maybe starting a thread for a study group there would be more effective, if they don't already have one.

Also another cool website you may want to check out is musictheory.net. I find the lessons and trainers exercises there to be very helpful.

Thanks for all the suggestions, Volusiano. You’re very kind and seem to always give useful advices I can utilize. Remember when I was doing some method studies and you gave such good advice on Piano Adventures? I’m happy to report I’m very lucky to have found a teacher who comes to my home weekly and who also teaches PA. Anyway, off topic… LOL… I will find time to visit PA forums but probably not any other sites. I hardly have time to spend here at PW. And since I am very used to this place and know some folks here, I’ll just hang out here and see how it goes. If I spend too much time online doing forums and other stuff, I probably won’t have enough time to practice. laugh

Wait, I remember you said you’re also doing self-teaching PA? Or am I mistaken? If you do, it’d be wicked awesome we join force and form a vocal team. You’re quite vocal and don’t seem afraid to speak your mind. Just a thought. Maybe you’re beyond methods already.

#1391559 - 03/08/10 05:57 PM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Volusiano]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Hi Nguyen,

Like you, I dropped the Alfred's after getting a teacher in early January when I was 3 or 4 songs into book two (Alexanders Ragtime Band was my last Alfred).

With my teacher we went straight into easier classical pieces assigned from Schumann, Mozart, Bach (actually, AMBach's Notebook), plus some lead-sheet work of old rock or folk music. But she really likes to load me up each week and usually assigns two new pieces in addition to whatever else I'm working on. If I'm working on a harder (for me) classical piece, sometimes she just gives me the sheets to some things that look a little easier. After reading your message it dawned on me that a few of these have had N.Faber at the top, so I guess she is getting them from one of the Faber books. For instance, this week I've worked on something called "Phantom of the Keys (N.Faber)" in addition to my Bach Minuet and Jim Croce's Time in a Bottle. Two weeks ago there was something called "Snowfall" that I think was also from Faber, and there is another one she gave me that I haven't worked on and can't recall the name of right now.

So, I guess you do have at least one person to share at least part of the same journey. Me! grin What are you working on currently?

Jim

Estonia L190 #7284

#1391583 - 03/08/10 06:17 PM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Nguyen]
Volusiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nguyen

Thanks for all the suggestions, Volusiano. You’re very kind and seem to always give useful advices I can utilize. Remember when I was doing some method studies and you gave such good advice on Piano Adventures? I’m happy to report I’m very lucky to have found a teacher who comes to my home weekly and who also teaches PA. Anyway, off topic… LOL… I will find time to visit PA forums but probably not any other sites. I hardly have time to spend here at PW. And since I am very used to this place and know some folks here, I’ll just hang out here and see how it goes. If I spend too much time online doing forums and other stuff, I probably won’t have enough time to practice. laugh

Wait, I remember you said you’re also doing self-teaching PA? Or am I mistaken? If you do, it’d be wicked awesome we join force and form a vocal team. You’re quite vocal and don’t seem afraid to speak your mind. Just a thought. Maybe you’re beyond methods already.

Hi Nguyen, you have good memory! And congratulations on your purchase decision of the Roland HP-307 (was it? can't remember all the model numbers!). The musictheory.net site is not another forum. It's strictly a teaching site with many very helpful teaching aids. I find the lesson modules especially valuable, because it goes through the theories in a very succinct but easy to follow flow. I think it'd be a great supplement to your study, and it wouldn't be a waste of time exploring that site for learning purposes. I would say it's more worth the time there than spending here on PW or the PA forums, if you have limited time.

Anyway, yes, I did self-learn and finished the PA adult series, then I went back to the basic series and practiced all the performance pieces all the way up to level 4, since the last level (5) doesn't have a performance book anyway. I'm now starting to expand my repertoire by learning some of the popular classical pieces (like Moonlight Sonata & Fur Elise and such). I do have a daughter who's a piano teacher, but I prefer to self-learn as to not take up too much of her time since she's already had 20 students in her studio to keep her busy. And self-learning has always been my style anyway. I do utilize my daughter to make sure she observes me once in a while and ensure that I don't form any bad habits. I think your decision to go with a teacher is great, though. My daughter has some adult students as well, and some of them are very fast learners and they progress at an incredible pace because they're very motivated like you are, with the benefit of having a teacher to help speed up their studies on top of that.

Anyway, I'll continue to monitor this thread and if there's any value I can add, I'll chime in.

#1391783 - 03/08/10 11:34 PM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: JimF]
Nguyen Offline

Hi Jim,
Thanks very much for sharing my enthusiasm. I’m glad you get to do so many things with your teacher. Very happy too you join, even just partly. My teacher & I agree to restart PA level 2a. I’m up to page 13 now, My Day Dream. Next week assignments are the same My Day Dream transposed from G to C, and the next piece, The Bell Tower. She thinks technically, I’m ok and can do these first several pieces sight-reading but my musicality is weak. She has asked me to slow down and put more emphasis on dynamics & expressiveness. One piece a week now for me… grin It’s going to be painful going this snail speed LOL. laugh

I’m so pumped you joined even though you aren’t doing PA fully. Thanks very much. Let’s keep the enthusiasm up!

#1391789 - 03/08/10 11:46 PM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Volusiano]
Nguyen Offline

Hi Nguyen, you have good memory! And congratulations on your purchase decision of the Roland HP-307 (was it? can't remember all the model numbers!)… Anyway, I'll continue to monitor this thread and if there's any value I can add, I'll chime in…

Volusiano, yes it’s the HP-307. It’s so good. I have been exploring it since I got it home, 2 days straight now LOL. Tonight was the first time my teacher & I had lessons on it. She was wow… She played something too, I have no clue what was but it sounded great. Not sure if she was nice or honest but she said it’s the nicest DP she ever plays, especially the lower bass keys. Off topic again LOL… Thanks for the encouragement and please chime in even if there’s nothing to. You know me, comments and/or advices are rarely enough.

#1396644 - 03/15/10 10:13 PM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Nguyen]
Nguyen Offline

I guess I’m going to report my progress of Piano Adventures study to myself for now.

So tonight, my lesson went really well. My teacher passed me on all last week assignments, My Daydream, The Bell Tower, The Elf’s Silver Hammer and The Woodchuck Chucks Wood. I’m up to page 17 of 2a now. Next week assignments are I Am King pg.18, Moonlight Melody pg.19 and The Puppet Show pg.20.

We chit chat a little bit after lesson. She said she will bring some music to play for me next week on my new DP. It’s so exciting. She also thinks I can do simple Bach in a few months, maybe around May or June. I’m thrilled.

#1396708 - 03/16/10 12:09 AM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Nguyen]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

So glad to hear that you are enjoying your lessons and your new DP. I'm stuck on a piece in Alfred 2, so I've been working with my PA Adult book again, learning two new pieces this week. I have a huge stack of different level 1 books, so I always have something to practice when I am stuck on a hard piece and need a break.

#1397064 - 03/16/10 03:57 PM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: mom3gram]
ROMagister Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bucuresti, Romania
Congratulations to all that still *work* with Piano Adventures !

I had started with great enthusiasm 1 year ago in Adult PA book 2, reached some 1/3 of it but didn't keep the systematic effort. Faber's quality didn't contribute to stopping, on the contrary, it kept me going some way, postponing the inevitable frustration with my multitasking control. (With old materials like Czerny it was much worse)

Does any of you know the 'new' PA books published through Hal Leonard? any differences from the ones by FJH? or from the former Hal Leonard books?

#1397133 - 03/16/10 05:27 PM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: ROMagister]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Hi Nguyen,

Getting that new DP is a great moment. Last November I bit the bullet on a CLP380. It was a close call for me over the Roland 307 and I'm still not sure it was the right one, even if I do love my CLP.

Still working on the N.Faber piece "Phantom of the Keys". Its quite fast and includes a long chromatic scale run toward the end. Also stacatto left mixed with legato right, which always gives me some initial trouble. I looked it up on Amazon and think it is from PA 3b. My teacher gave me something called Ladybug Largo that looks like it might also be from PA.

Still working on the Bach Minuet in G major (actually by Christian Petzold). Its probably the easiest Bach piece but sure has plenty of challenges for me. Both hands have their own melodies that you have to play simultaneously. Then you throw in some mordents and trills and wheeeeeeeee, now we're havin some fun. grin You will like it when you get there.

Estonia L190 #7284

#1397562 - 03/17/10 07:46 AM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: JimF]
ROMagister Offline
500 Post Club Member

On Youtube there was a small girl playing a fun simple piece "Eternally Music" by the Fabers. Together with teacher's part would make a nice intermediate.

#1397746 - 03/17/10 12:15 PM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: ROMagister]
Zenobe Offline

Loc: Newtown CT
Nice PA thread you've got going here Nguyen...

I'm working on "Jericho" and "Morning" in 3B, loving it. Alongside that, I've got "Seven German Dances" by Handel in "Easy Classics to Moderns," "Guantanemera" in AIO Book 2, and finishing up John Thompson Modern. Plugging away, and loving it. I like the variety.

PA 3B is coming along well, basically enjoyable tunes, and nicely graded to build the skill base over time. I don't like to be too aggressive with new material, because I am easily frustrated. I've been averaging 1.5 to 2 weeks on each of the pieces in PA 3B.

Now to practice...

#1398148 - 03/17/10 09:18 PM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: mom3gram]
Nguyen Offline

Originally Posted By: mom3gram
So glad to hear that you are enjoying your lessons and your new DP. I'm stuck on a piece in Alfred 2, so I've been working with my PA Adult book again, learning two new pieces this week. I have a huge stack of different level 1 books, so I always have something to practice when I am stuck on a hard piece and need a break.
Thanks for the encouragements mom3gram. Glad you do PA too. How's it going? I’m sure this study group would be immensely enriched with your presence.

#1398149 - 03/17/10 09:23 PM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: ROMagister]
Nguyen Offline

Originally Posted By: ROMagister
Congratulations to all that still *work* with Piano Adventures!... Does any of you know the 'new' PA books published through Hal Leonard? any differences from the ones by FJH? or from the former Hal Leonard books?
Hi ROMagister, I’m new to PA. It’s nice to hear you’ve worked on it for sometime. I just started PA for about 1.5 months now so not sure about the new Hal Leonard books. The ones I bought are still the old FJH. Hopefully some more experienced folks will chime in.

#1398159 - 03/17/10 09:42 PM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: JimF]
Nguyen Offline

Originally Posted By: JimF
Hi Nguyen,

Getting that new DP is a great moment. Last November I bit the bullet on a CLP380. It was a close call for me over the Roland 307 and I'm still not sure it was the right one, even if I do love my CLP.
Hi Jim. I tried both when I was shopping for mine. The CLP380 sound is impressive. I only went for the HP-307 because of its key action and I guess cuz it’s new to in the market, just arrived at my local dealer a few weeks ago. Also, the CLP380 is almost 1k more so it was an easy call for me. smile I know if I went for the CLP380, I’d be just as happy.

Quote:
Still working on the N.Faber piece "Phantom of the Keys". Its quite fast and includes a long chromatic scale run toward the end. Also stacatto left mixed with legato right, which always gives me some initial trouble. I looked it up on Amazon and think it is from PA 3b. My teacher gave me something called Ladybug Largo that looks like it might also be from PA.
You have a true study partner here. I think Zenobe is also doing PA 3b. I’m so happy you joined and follow the thread.

Quote:
Still working on the Bach Minuet in G major (actually by Christian Petzold). Its probably the easiest Bach piece but sure has plenty of challenges for me. Both hands have their own melodies that you have to play simultaneously. Then you throw in some mordents and trills and wheeeeeeeee, now we're havin some fun. grin You will like it when you get there.
I think that’s what she said, Bach Minuet, but I’m not sure. I will be patient and wait until she thinks I’m ready, though. For now, not a lot of assignment pieces but make sure getting them good enough to pass is quite a task. Very anxious now though that you have shed some light on it grin

Edited by Nguyen (03/17/10 10:24 PM)

#1398172 - 03/17/10 10:05 PM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Zenobe]
Nguyen Offline

Originally Posted By: Zenobe
Nice PA thread you've got going here Nguyen...

I'm working on "Jericho" and "Morning" in 3B, loving it. Alongside that, I've got "Seven German Dances" by Handel in "Easy Classics to Moderns," "Guantanemera" in AIO Book 2, and finishing up John Thompson Modern. Plugging away, and loving it. I like the variety.
Zenobe, that’s quite a lot. I only do 2a pieces now. I found getting them good enough to pass each week takes away all my time from doing Alfred. Maybe it’s cuz my musicality is weak like she said and that’s why I spend more time than I used to.

Quote:
PA 3B is coming along well, basically enjoyable tunes, and nicely graded to build the skill base over time. I don't like to be too aggressive with new material, because I am easily frustrated. I've been averaging 1.5 to 2 weeks on each of the pieces in PA 3B.
2 weeks a piece is a very good pace imo. Now that you have had some lengthy experiences with both PA & Alfred Adult, what’s your impression? Is the nicely graded PA a little easier than Alfred Adult for some of us? I backtrack and do PA Basic 2a because I'd like to build my basics right. It’s highly recommended. My teacher is teaching it and said after many years of trying, she found the majority of her students favor it. But I feel Alfred Adult has pieces I like better; and yes some of them are daunting. Just like to see what you think. I’m sure some certain Alfred 1 graduates will read your insights with interests.

#1398717 - 03/18/10 03:32 PM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Nguyen]
KrAYZEE Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I'm in PA (kid's version) as well. I looked at both the accelerated course and the adult course before committing but on the advice of my teacher stuck with the kids pieces and she adds performance and challenge pieces from other sources. I'm also getting accelerated theory from her because I have a background in music. I'm just finishing up 2b but am already practicing primary chords in all inversions in easy keys and am doing diatonic 2 hand arpeggios in all keys. I also work from "Expressive Etudes", a much more challenging book of Etudes. Even in the primary book, where the pieces are in one position, the finger independence and required dynamics are not easy. For example my last three pieces from that book were by L. Mozart, Bartok and Satie. I also work out of a intro to piano blues book. So my adult needs are met and the advantage of Faber and Faber's excellent grading, voicing and variety are maintained. I'm quite happy and am looking forward to book 3a.

Another advantage is that since my son is two years ahead of me, the books are already bought and paid for.

Kurt

#1398746 - 03/18/10 04:25 PM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: KrAYZEE]
Zenobe Offline

Loc: Newtown CT
Oops! Made a mistake in my last post... I'm in PA 3A, not 3B! My son is in 3B, and he's way ahead of me!

PA is my foundation, and the other stuff my teacher assigns, as well as Alfred AIO 2, are supplements to that. I really like the kids version, it suits me well.

In my opinion the Alfred AIO books are wonderful, but too fast paced if a person uses them alone. There's a need for slow gradual baby steps, and that's what I get with Piano Adventures.

My teacher passed me on from Guantanemera last night, so that feels good. She assigned me a Sonatina in G by Beethoven, and moved me along in PA 3A as well - I'm getting my first exposure to chromatic scales, and will tackle a simple ragtime arrangement this week. I'll pick up Alfred again next week or the week after.

Edited by Zenobe (03/18/10 04:25 PM)

#1401577 - 03/22/10 08:50 PM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: KrAYZEE]
Nguyen Offline

Originally Posted By: KrAYZEE
I'm in PA (kid's version) as well. I looked at both the accelerated course and the adult course before committing but on the advice of my teacher stuck with the kids pieces and she adds performance and challenge pieces from other sources… So my adult needs are met and the advantage of Faber and Faber's excellent grading, voicing and variety are maintained. I'm quite happy and am looking forward to book 3a…Kurt
Hi Kurt. Nice to hear you are doing PA. I’m also doing the Basic PA, kid’s version as well. I’m half way through 2a. Congrats on finishing up 2b. Please join us sharing your learning experiences and progresses.

#1401583 - 03/22/10 08:54 PM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Zenobe]
Nguyen Offline

Originally Posted By: Zenobe
… PA is my foundation, and the other stuff my teacher assigns, as well as Alfred AIO 2, are supplements to that. I really like the kids version, it suits me well.

In my opinion the Alfred AIO books are wonderful, but too fast paced if a person uses them alone. There's a need for slow gradual baby steps, and that's what I get with Piano Adventures…
Zenobe, thanks for sharing your impressions. I’m doing a little better this week and was also able to put in some practices for Alfred AIO 2's Guantanemera as well.

#1401592 - 03/22/10 09:08 PM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Nguyen]
Nguyen Offline

Originally Posted By: Nguyen
…Next week assignments are I Am King pg.18, Moonlight Melody pg.19 and The Puppet Show pg.20.
Today’s lesson went well. All last week’s assignments passed. I also got a pass for the next Song I attempted on my own Hot Cross Thumbs pg. 21.

Next week’s assignments are Our Detective Agency pg. 22, Storms on Saturn pg. 24. She said I can move ahead into D Position to This Old Man pg. 27 if I'm up for it. Hope everyone is doing well.

#1401751 - 03/23/10 01:31 AM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Nguyen]
Volusiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

I notice you guys refer to the Basic PA as the kids' version, but it's really not. But I can see why you call it that, because it's used universally to teach students who are mostly kids (other than the Primer and First Piano Adventure for very young kids). I think many teachers prefer the Basic over the Accellerated and Adult versions because it's more thorough than the other versions.

#1404550 - 03/26/10 08:13 PM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Volusiano]
Emissary52 Offline

Loc: Monroe, NC USA
Hi Volusiano! Nguyen sent me! We were discussing his use of Piano Adventures and his new "adventures" with his teacher. I posed the question to him as to whether the PA Adult Books 1 & 2 would be a good supplement to Alfred's. He said you were the resident expert, so I figured I'd ask. BTW, being an optimist, I bought Alfred's Adult 1,2 and 3 (the regular versions - not the AIO versions). I'm up to "Jericho" in Alfred's 1 and I'm pretty satisfied with it at this point. I don't have a teacher and don't plan on getting one for a while.

I was just wondering if there is any material or methods employed by the Faber books that would warrant their purchase. I read the few reviews of them on Amazon, that implied they were easier. I must admit to being a "musical snob" in that I hate when a book's author adds his or her own musical material to get a point across. "No Mr Palmer, use the Johnny Mandel piece instead of your own"! I like real songs! Any advice you could give would be much appreciated
Alfred 1 Graduate

#1404718 - 03/27/10 03:10 AM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Emissary52]
Volusiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Emissary52, I wouldn't call myself a resident expert on PA Adults books 1&2, but I have gone through them as a student (by myself without a teacher), so I know what's in them. But I don't know anything about Alfred's Adult 1,2,3, so I can't really compare them effectively, sorry. I think the materials in PA Adult 1,2 are pretty basic. I would say if you're happy with the Alfred Adult series right now, there may be no reason to purchase the PA as a supplement to Alfred.

But if you dislike "made up" music just to reinforce a lesson, I'm afraid the PA Adult (and Basic) do have some of these type of practice pieces in them. I remember hating those pieces as well, and often skipping them altogether after trying out the first few measures and hearing how silly they sound to me. As you progress to the later parts of the series, the musical pieces are a little more mainstream and more enjoyable.

If you get an opportunity to be at a music store, you can browse through the PA Adult books to see for yourself whether there's anything new worthwhile there that the Alfred Adult books don't have. Chances are, if the Alfred one is comprehensive enough, you wouldn't miss anything. After all, the stuff covered is pretty basic anyway.

Hope this helps.

#1404815 - 03/27/10 09:20 AM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Volusiano]
ROMagister Offline
500 Post Club Member

Some of the Faber's own didactic compositions are pretty interesting in their own right.

- Eternally Music (+duet part) - Is this in the basic PA 1 coursebook or only in a supplement ?
- Niagara Falls (the 'entrance exam' of Adult PA book 2) - nice exercise in... cascading arpeggios. If they called it only an 'exercise' it wouldn't attract such care in evenness and trying to make it sound melodic.
- Fiesta Espana - a modal improvisation that, well, succeeds to sound Spanish.

and a few others.

#1404816 - 03/27/10 09:21 AM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: Volusiano]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Emissary52! I have gone through Alfred Adult AIO Book 1, and am halfway through PA Adult Book 1 as a supplement. I wasn't sure that I liked it in the beginning. I thought Alfred was easier to understand. But the Faber book has some things in it that I do like. They start the pedal much sooner. They ask you to name the fingers you are starting on before each piece. After you learn a piece, they suggest trying to play it in another key. There are some really pretty pieces in it. But I don't think that it covers as much of the basics, nor as thoroughly, as the kids version. I do think it's a little harder to self-teach with PA than it is with Alfred's, but it would make a good supplement, if you need another supplement.

#1405052 - 03/27/10 05:18 PM Re: Piano Adventures Study Group [Re: mom3gram]
Emissary52 Offline

Loc: Monroe, NC USA
Volusiano,Romagister and mom3gram - Thank you for your quick replies! I'm thinking that I might purchase the PA Adult 2 book with my next Amazon order. I wish the Faber Books on Amazon would allow you to look at a few pages, the way they do for the Alfred's books. I don't think I would have the patience of Nguyen to go back to the beginning again. The thought of doing "Row,Row,Row Your Boat" or something on that level, after having gotten through (hopefully in the next couple of months) "Amazing Grace" or that simplified "The Entertainer" towards the end of Alfred's 1, would leave me "suicidally depressed". LOL!

Romagister, I think you can find an occasional author-composed song in these method books which is quite nice, but the vast majority leave me cold and I just try to do the measures that actually contain a new concept or technique and leave it at that. When I saw some of those song titles that my buddy Nguyen was working on - e.g. "Storms on Saturn", I thought "Oh no - "What's on pg 35"...."Itch on Uranus"! Give me a real song to play, even if I have to struggle with it a little longer than the author's made-up stuff!! I need to expand my paltry little repertoire of recognizable music ASAP.

mom3gram and Volusiano - I'm one of those people who believe you can never have enough music books in your library...as long as they contain useful material. What I may do after I finish Alfred's 1 is to order and play around with the PA Adult 2 book before I start Alfred's 2. It probably can't hurt! Again, thank you all for your good advice!

P.S. Volusiano - Could I possibly interest you in a piano swap? My YDP-160 is certainly a lot lighter, if nothing else!!!! grin
Alfred 1 Graduate

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
56 registered (ando, Bigvalbio, bennevis, Alex Hernandez, Atrys, Akshay, 13 invisible), 1086 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153598 Topics
2251182 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
Today at 04:55 AM
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
Today at 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
Today at 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
Need help with upgrading(?) Roland digital
by Pathbreaker
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission