2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Of course, anytime...I have no doubt you will be rattling it out "cold" soon enough. And nice to see you are a fellow Kapustin fan! What a tremendous composer...listen to him almost every morning on the way to work. Tremendously difficult stuff, but definitely worth the effort. I am making very, very slow progress on some of his works but having a blast.

Cheers,

David

Currently learning/playing select pieces from Chopin, Liszt, Beethoven, and Kapustin

What use is knowledge if there is no understanding? (Stobaeus)
C
C
[Linked Image]

This section is killing me. I can play the rest of the piece fluidly at a reasonable tempo, but when I reach this part, the fingers on my right hand just can't move fast enough. I would like to think this issue is related to endurance, but even when I start from a few measures before this treacherous section, I still can't play it passably.

Does anyone have any advice on tackling this section?

Z
Z
Cast 12: I'm a bit surprised cuz I found this is an easier section for the fingers compared to other sections. Maybe it is your fingering?

For me I start each phrase with the third finger:
32321235, 32321235, 232123532321235, 32321245, 32321245

Also, it's easier to do the accent too with the 3rd finger I find.

Hope this helps

C
C
Originally Posted by zxcjason
Cast 12: I'm a bit surprised cuz I found this is an easier section for the fingers compared to other sections. Maybe it is your fingering?

For me I start each phrase with the third finger:

Also, it's easier to do the accent too with the 3rd finger I find.

Hope this helps

I'm using the same fingering.

I think my problem is identical to that of Brandon_W_T, who said, "That is the part that is killing me! My fingers just don't seem to want to move fast enough when they are so close to each other."

I'm using similar fingering, but I'm using 3 instead of 4 for the last two fours:

I use:
32321235, 32321235, 232123532321235, 32321235, 32321235

Yeah, when I first got to this section it felt awkward and was hard to get real even given the close proximity of the notes. BUT, I assure you that after you let it settle a bit and after repeated drilling...it will come to you. I know its not that groundbreaking of advice, but if you are able to play the first 1.5 pages fluently and up to speed, then you are MORE than capable of handling these few measures being that they are not at the same difficuly level. This whole piece is about getting over those fiendish mental obstacles, and once you convince yourself that you can do it...you will do it. Sounds silly but the actual act of "wrapping your mind around the piece" is much harder than actually playing it. The notes will in time just fall under your fingers. It is indeed one of those pieces where it really helps to let it settle for a bit. Don't physically play it for a few days but run it through your head as much as possible. I do just as much mental practice as I do physical practice and it REALLY helps. Sometimes you really just need a good vacation from playing it...the mind works in funny ways.

David

Currently learning/playing select pieces from Chopin, Liszt, Beethoven, and Kapustin

What use is knowledge if there is no understanding? (Stobaeus)
Z
Z
Originally Posted by Hedgeman26
Sounds silly but the actual act of "wrapping your mind around the piece" is much harder than actually playing it.

+1

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hedgeman26
Sometimes you really just need a good vacation from playing it...the mind works in funny ways.

How true, how true! Last week I was on a trip to Ghana and was away from my piano for a whole week. I was worried that the lack of practice would cause the Fantaisie Impromptu to fall apart completely. To my surprise, when I returned and sat down at the piano, passages I had been struggling with were now literally playing themselves at tempos I had thought impossible before. It seems as if certain neural connections were strengthened during my absence from the piano.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
Thanks for those videos jazzyprof, nice find. There are lots of nuances explained there.

Hmmm, I really need to get a teacher.

Z
Z
Nice video, thanks for posting it jazzyprof.

Katsaris taught very well in the video, the girl was playing much better afterwards, despite some problem with the language. Gave me some idea on interpreting the coda too, can't wait to try when I practise tomorrow!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzyprof
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
Is it is OK to use the Dover edition (collection) by the way? Or should I use the Fontana edition?

I'm pretty sure it's OK to use the Dover edition. I think it's based on the Rubinstein manuscript that BruceD mentioned.

No... I just started to read Bailie's comments on the FI, and from what she says the Rubinstein edition is different from the Dover edition...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

A
A
Originally Posted by cast12
[Linked Image]

This section is killing me. I can play the rest of the piece fluidly at a reasonable tempo, but when I reach this part, the fingers on my right hand just can't move fast enough. I would like to think this issue is related to endurance, but even when I start from a few measures before this treacherous section, I still can't play it passably.

Does anyone have any advice on tackling this section?

Apologies if I'm repeating advice offered elsewhere, but have you worked on it much hands-separately?

In my own experience with this piece, I corrected a surprising number of "routine flubs" that I *thought* were in the right hand by working on my left.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zxcjason
Nice video, thanks for posting it jazzyprof.

Katsaris taught very well in the video, the girl was playing much better afterwards, despite some problem with the language. Gave me some idea on interpreting the coda too, can't wait to try when I practise tomorrow!

I enjoyed Katsaris' master lesson, but I wonder how much of what Katsaris was saying was fully understood by the young pianist. Yes, she did what was suggested, but one does wonder how much of what Katsaris was saying to her was really absorbed. It takes more that just the appropriate amount of technique to "own" a work and teaching can become a problem when a young musician's technique outstrips his musical growth and experience.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Z
Z
Originally Posted by BruceD

I enjoyed Katsaris' master lesson, but I wonder how much of what Katsaris was saying was fully understood by the young pianist. Yes, she did what was suggested, but one does wonder how much of what Katsaris was saying to her was really absorbed. It takes more that just the appropriate amount of technique to "own" a work and teaching can become a problem when a young musician's technique outstrips his musical growth and experience.

No doubt the girl has some issue with the language, but musicality, imho, is trasmitted beyond the language. Katsaris did quite well in transmitting the feeling for different passages in the class, I mean, I can feel what he's trying to say when he says something like "play with more freedom, hope, etc", and it's more than just a bunch of words coming out from his mouth. It seems like the girl responded to it too.

Bear in mind she's only like 10 years old, even if she's not getting much of it now, whatever feeling she got from the class will plant a seed in her mind for her future.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzyprof
Is it is OK to use the Dover edition (collection) by the way? Or should I use the Fontana edition?

I'm pretty sure it's OK to use the Dover edition. I think it's based on the Rubinstein manuscript that BruceD mentioned.

No... I just started to read Bailie's comments on the FI, and from what she says the Rubinstein edition is different from the Dover edition...

Well, many parts seem to be the Fontana edition, but the beginning of the Fontana edition I downloaded from the net is different...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Excellent!

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission