2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nyiregyhazi
Hugely enough that you cannot switch your hands over and achieve comparable results? I'd say that's pretty heavily geared towards muscle memory, rather than separate from it...
But nothing like the level of muscle memory gained at the keyboard. As I said earlier:'What you will be gaining, by avoiding it at all costs, is a far truer, purer muscle memory.' i.e. it's very hard to build mistakes in the imagination.

N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
Hugely enough that you cannot switch your hands over and achieve comparable results? I'd say that's pretty heavily geared towards muscle memory, rather than separate from it...
But nothing like the level of muscle memory gained at the keyboard.

Indeed, that is precisely why nobody can do this, other than a genius, without working at the keyboard too. Because (while the hand crossing example shows that it DOES build muscle memory that is not fully transferable to an impartial mental understanding) it does not do so to a high enough level for anyone but a genius to play. But then, muscle memory should be "avoided" of course (but not "replaced", according to your important distinction). It's actually a terrible thing, not the life-blood of piano playing...

Indeed, that is precisely why nobody can do this, other than a genius, without working at the keyboard too.
Where did I say don't work at a keyboard? You leave the keyboard (apart from fingering) until you've trained the motor cortex.

N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
so where does avoiding muscle memory come into this? Training the brain with regard to the movements IS muscle memory.

Ah yes, but on an extremely subtle level and without the afferent nerves creating a feedback loop.

N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
Indeed, hence the importance of developing it at the piano as well, except for geniuses. You are going in circles. When are you going to admit that the idea of even seeking to avoid muscle memory is a completely flawed concept- or that when you insist on visualization of fingering that is precisely what you promote?

F
F
Bah, internet detectives. For what it's worth, I was banned by my own request. >_>

Originally Posted by FunkyLlama
For what it's worth, I was banned by my own request. >_>
Hey, hopefully that'll give a certain person an idea!

N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
Yes, apologies for being a constant thorn in your side by utilising rational thinking, when I observe definable contradications in the various things you regurgitate from others without thinking them through.

When are you going to admit that the idea of even seeking to avoid muscle memory is a completely flawed concept- or that when you insist on visualization of fingering that is precisely what you promote?
I'll put it this way - Create muscle memory in the motor cortex only. Avoid creating any afferent nerve feedback loops! Technical enough for you? (and Kreisler?)

N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
Overly technical, and not even very meaningful, actually. Nobody asked for a larger quantity of technical jargon. We complained about inconsistency and practically dubious explanations. It is of no issue which part of the brain is used, practically speaking. What is important is that you totally contradicted yourself by insisting that your method is about avoiding muscle memory, when it is specifically geared towards promoting it. If you actually wish to avoid it, you must also avoid visualizing fingerings- not insist on thinking about them. The method you describe is very widely known but your explanation shows that you completely misunderstood the procedure and what it actually offers. Are you yet willing to have the humiltiy to admit both that you were completely on the wrong track in claiming that you need to avoid muscle memory and in claiming that this method contributes to that? If not, I'd suggest you remove the fingerings from your visualizations as a matter of urgency. It would put you on a far more efficient path towards your goal. I'm not exactly convinced you'd be one of the rare few who could flourish this way- but at least you would be practising what you preach, instead of the very opposite.

Incidentally, you didn't ever comment on the notable discrepancy between your claims about always memorising and the fact you always use scores on your films. Are you simply trying to impress people with evidentially dubious claims, or do you actually practise any of what you claim to "always" (I quote) do when learning music? Are you here wanting to advise and assist, or to attempt to create a glorified image of yourself to others- based on making inflated claims about yourself and refusing to acknowledge transparent flaws in your suggestions to other, rather than seeking to converge upon rounded understanding?

What is important is that you totally contradicted yourself by insisting that your method is about avoiding muscle memory, when it is specifically geared towards promoting it.
For most people muscle memory is separate from visual memory which is separate from aural memory which is separate from theory memory. In reality they are all motor (muscle) memory if you look at a subtle enough level. For Reich and Trager (and probably James) even emotional memory is a muscle memory! So, you talkin’ psychology or piano-player-in-the-street? Most posters are the latter I would think and understand learning using the multiple memory model.

Incidentally, you didn't ever comment on the notable discrepancy between your claims about always memorising and the fact you always use scores on your films.
Again words in my mouth. Where did I say I always memorize? I said 'Years ago I realized I might as well start memorizing anything I'm seriously interested in rather than read through the score,'. I can only think of one piece video'd that I'm seriously interested in. What's your beef?

N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
"For most people muscle memory is separate from visual memory which is separate from aural memory which is separate from theory memory."

On what grounds? I do not accept that for a moment- not even in the most physically based learning. While almost all could benefit from drawing greater associations, it is not remotely accurate to think that they even COULD be entirely separated.

"In reality they are all motor (muscle) memory if you look at a subtle enough level. For Reich and Trager (and probably James) even emotional memory is a muscle memory! So, you talkin’ psychology or piano-player-in-the-street? Most posters are the latter I would think and understand learning using the multiple memory model."

Who refers to aural or visual learning as 'muscle memory'? I certainly don't. Do you? If so, this makes your idea of seeking to avoid muscle memory MORE of a nonsense, not less! did you even THINK before raising this irrevelant point? It's certainly a nice way to muddy the waters and confuse the issue, but far from standrard terminology. I have never encountered the terms outside of reference to learning based on movement.

Why are you so keen to change the subject rather acknowledge the simple rational implications, should you think this through. You would sooner cloud the issue in vaguery,rather than consider the evident practical issues and the evident flaws in the logic you presented? Why is it so hard for you to acknowledge an error and learn from it?

"Years ago I realized I might as well start memorizing anything I'm seriously interested in rather than read through the score, as that's the eventual outcome anyway. I now realize, and Matthay amongst many others concur, that you don't know a piece unless you can perform it in your head note-for-note finger-for-finger - so I'm starting there. Only when I can play a section in my head will I take it to the piano because that's how it ultimately must be anyhow"

You really don't make this difficult- except for yourself...

If you ever practise what you claim- why have you do almost never upload anything you actually know? You prefer to misrepresent yourself by only recording yourself in pieces you cannot play? Who are you trying to fool here?

If you ever practise what you claim- why have you do almost never upload anything you actually know?
I knew it would get to this. Once again you demand a video. As I said last time - Who do you think you are?

My 'claim' is pretty simple. On a certain level afferent signals simply confuse motor learning.

N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
To make claims that you cannot substantiate is frequently known as bravado. Still, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. No doubt you do usually practise what you preach. Evidently you are just a masochist who likes to downplay his abilities in public (by only recording pieces that are read from scores) and save the repetoire that you actually learn to a high standard with this method (of only taking things to the piano when you can play them in your head) for private consumption only. At least, that's the only credible alternative that I can immediately conceive of...

N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
My 'claim' is pretty simple. On a certain level afferent signals simply confuse motor learning.

Yes, but that's a new claim and not one that ever came into this previously.

Last edited by Nyiregyhazi; 03/30/10 04:02 PM.
N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
PS. I did not request a video and neither am I intersted in one. I pointed out a glaring discrepancy between your claims and what is evidenced. If you would care to clear that up by uploading some of your mentally learned repetoire from memory that is your business. I don't particularly wish to view any more films, however and did not ask for any,

Yes, but that's a new claim and not one that ever came into this previously. Where on earth are you going?
Just another way to put it. But suggesting to musicians they 'lower the level of their afferent signaling' may cause some confusion.

I pointed out a glaring discrepancy between your claims and what is evidenced.
You'll be needing to point out that 'glaring discrepancy' Mr Hyperbole.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission