Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1407884 - 03/31/10 02:36 PM G Position!
"Kim"ball Offline

Today I was practicing using the kids Afred book. I started working on the G Position. I finally got the C position notes down, now I have to learn some new ones! LOL

After about 30 minutes of playing the one song that starts off the lesson in G, I decided to play around in the Adult book from Alfred. That is where I got confused! LOL The adult book has a different position for G.

I took a pic of the 2 books with the kid book on top of the adult book. Kid book has blue writing!

My question is, are there more then one C or G or F or ect. positions? It is confusing that the books show the hands in different places for the same name position!

I'm confused! confused

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1407887 - 03/31/10 02:39 PM Re: G Position! [Re: "Kim"ball]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
The left hand is shown as moved down an octave from where it is shown in the first book.

Glen

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1407915 - 03/31/10 03:10 PM Re: G Position! [Re: "Kim"ball]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Your hand has 5 fingers that can cover a span of 5 notes when it is relaxed (not spread out). The "positions" simply means that you are placing your hands over a group of 5 notes on the piano so that all 5 notes are in easy reach. Beginner music often doesn't go past 5 notes so it's easy to get used to the piano for early practice. "C position" covers the 5 notes C,D,E,F,G and "G position" covers the 5 notes G,A,B,C,D.

You probably know that the notes repeat themselves. They go C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C.... forever. There are low C's and high C's and you can recognize that they are one or several octaves apart. So if you can have more than one G, you can also have umpteen "G positions". It simply means that you are covering the notes G,A,B,C,D somewhere on the keyboard. Notice on your two diagrams what is the same: the notes start on the first white note between the group of 3 black keys which is G, and the last note ends on the white note between the 2 black keys which is D. That pattern of black and white notes repeats along your whole keyboard. The white note between two black keys is always D.

The next thing you need to know is which G or D? This is known as register. You know where middle C is on both the piano and in written music. Your right hand music is the same in both books. They are showing the first G above middle C in the treble clef. Logically it is also the first G above middle C on your piano. G is the first white key between the three black keys. There are other G's above that which you will learn to read eventually.

For the LH, in the top drawing, they are showing the first G below middle C. You can count down both in the book and on your piano to find it. If you count down 8 more lines and spaces saying your alphabet backward you'll be at the bottom line, and another G. You can do the same with the piano. You'll land on a G which is 8 notes below, sounds an octave below, and again, is the first white key between the three black keys. All three are "G position" in the sense that they span the 5 notes from G to D for a closed 5-finger hand.

Wondering why the different approaches??

#1407980 - 03/31/10 04:47 PM Re: G Position! [Re: keystring]
"Kim"ball Offline

Thanks for the great explanation! So basically, the kid book wants me to play a song that is an octive down further then the adult books song choice! I think I get this now!

Now my next question is, how can I tell what octive (position) I should be in if the diagram that the lesson book is not there? LOL Did that make since? I may be getting ahead of myself. As you can see I am only on page 50! I'm thinking I may learn this further in the book! I thought I would ask anyway!! laugh

#1407990 - 03/31/10 04:59 PM Re: G Position! [Re: "Kim"ball]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
You can see the notes on each staff (treble and bass), split by middle C (that is what middle C means). Based on where the notes are on the staff, it will tell you where to place your hand(s).

First example, notes show the left hand starting on the G closer to middle C. Second example shows it an octave lower. You are learning to read notes! ...most excellent!

Glen

A Bit of YouTube

PTG Associate Member

#1407996 - 03/31/10 05:09 PM Re: G Position! [Re: Inlanding]
"Kim"ball Offline

Originally Posted By: Inlanding
You can see the notes on each staff (treble and bass), split by middle C (that is what middle C means). Based on where the notes are on the staff, it will tell you where to place your hand(s).

First example, notes show the left hand starting on the G closer to middle C. Second example shows it an octave lower. You are learning to read notes! ...most excellent!

Glen

Ahhhh, I see it now!! Thanks so much!! That will make things alot easier!!

Yah, I want to know how to read the music too! I have some work sheets so I will be doing some "homework" if you will, to help in learning them. Before the "G" position came into play I was getting good enough with the C that I could pretty much look at the note and know what key I need to press!! laugh I have been saying each note as I play so I can get it imprinted.

Slowly but surely it is all coming together!!! laugh

Thanks again for the help!!

#1408014 - 03/31/10 05:38 PM Re: G Position! [Re: "Kim"ball]
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Don't worry, the concept of positions will eventually all but disappear.

#1780045 - 10/30/11 06:06 PM Re: G Position! [Re: keystring]
rich220 Offline

Originally Posted By: keystring

Yes please.

I had learned the C and G position and it was nice because the same fingers played the bars and spaces. But when I started to learn both thumbs on middle C everything changed. If I use C and G positions to move up and down the keyboard I can play everything in two thumbs on middle c position so I have just been using those two positions to play everything. Perhaps I will regret it....

#1780066 - 10/30/11 06:44 PM Re: G Position! [Re: "Kim"ball]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
To learn to read music and play the piano, you will eventually need to be able to play any note with any finger. Which finger you choose will depend on the notes (and fingering) that come before and after. But for example, your right thumb could be anywhere: A, B, C, etc. Your left thumb could be anywhere. And left and right are not necessarily on related notes. Learning middle C position after C and G position is starting to stretch you to play in any position.

Do some searching on "reading intervallically" to get more ideas for how to develop independence from position playing.

Edited by PianoStudent88 (10/30/11 06:49 PM)

#1780099 - 10/30/11 07:26 PM Re: G Position! [Re: keystring]
KeysAngler Offline

Loc: The Fabulous Florida Keys
Originally Posted By: keystring

my guess is that it's an easier position for kids ... I know my wrists hurt when playing with both hands in the middle c position

#1780774 - 10/31/11 08:27 PM Re: G Position! [Re: PianoStudent88]
rich220 Offline

Thank you very much!

#1782454 - 11/03/11 03:35 PM Re: G Position! [Re: "Kim"ball]
pianomcl Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi Kim -- The piano positions concept will soon disappear, but its a helpful way of understanding the keyboard at first. By the way, as you progress you might want to learn the "position" for all the keys of the piano. What I mean by that is you may want to learn the 5 finger pattern formed by starting on every key of the piano. But perhaps this is too much info for right now. If you want me to clarify how this works I'd be glad to!

http://www.pianoblog.com - The Famous Piano Blog

#1782465 - 11/03/11 03:58 PM Re: G Position! [Re: "Kim"ball]
JohnSprung Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California
Originally Posted By: "Kim"ball
Originally Posted By: Inlanding

Glen

Ahhhh, I see it now!! Thanks so much!! That will make things alot easier!!

Yah, I want to know how to read the music too! I have some work sheets so I will be doing some "homework" if you will, to help in learning them. Before the "G" position came into play I was getting good enough with the C that I could pretty much look at the note and know what key I need to press!! laugh I have been saying each note as I play so I can get it imprinted.

Slowly but surely it is all coming together!!! laugh

Thanks again for the help!!

And you don't have to play things where they're written. Go ahead and try them in every octave from end to end of the keyboard. It's your piano, have fun with it and see how it sounds.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Schoenberg's Kammersymphonie Op. 9 (for piano)
by jeffreyjones
10/01/14 08:48 AM
Old Schumann Upright
by UnrightTooner
10/01/14 08:24 AM
For sale: stand & monitors (used with MP11)...
by mrmacmusic
10/01/14 07:38 AM
Modern Jazz Pianists and Compositions
by b4ggy
10/01/14 07:07 AM
Interview with Leon Fleisher
by vlhorowitz
10/01/14 04:27 AM
Who's Online
122 registered (anotherscott, ajames, AndresD, amt976, 40 invisible), 1317 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76385 Members
42 Forums
157917 Topics
2319192 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission