2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, 11 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chris G
Originally Posted by CebuKid

Maple Leaf rag is a tough one, I work on it from time to time as a background project but I still have a long way to go till it sounds good.

The "Trio" (3rd strain) is the toughest part. I want to take on this next after I finish the 1st strain.

Like you, Maple Leaf is my "side project." The notes are easy to learn but bringing it up to performance tempo is the tough part. This is one that sounds very nice around 96 BPM. smile

Yes that third section is really hard. The other sections aren't so easy either, the first is the only one I can play at > 40bpm. I find Maple Leaf a lot harder to remember than other Joplin rags, it seems to be full of unusual harmonic movement.

The first two measures of the fourth section are my favorite of the whole song, they just seem to totally capture the genius of Scott Joplin.

Hi Chris, based on your own experience, which ones of the 8 rags you've learnt you consider the easier and the harder?

cheers

J
J
Question about Ragtime. Does anyone play and perform only Ragtime? I have always wondered about that so I just thought I would ask. As for me, I love Ragtime, Joplin the most. John

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by al-mahed
Hi Chris, based on your own experience, which ones of the 8 rags you've learnt you consider the easier and the harder?

cheers

None of the rags I have learnt was easy but some were harder than others. The first four I learnt, each of which took several months to learn were

The Crysanthemum
Palm Leaf Rag
The Entertainer
Pleasant Moments

Of the four the Entertainer took most time for me to learn. Palm Leaf rag only has 3 movements which is a point in it's favour.

The hardest rag I play is

The Nonpareil

Three rags which I learnt more quickly were

Bink's Waltz
Swipesy
The Favorite

And there is a large set of rags which are in progress, all of which are going much more slowly than the three above and which I would consider to be on the hard side.

Eugenia
Maple Leaf Rag
Pine Apple Rag
Rosebud March
Weeping Willow
Paragon

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by al-mahed

cheers

None of the rags I have learnt was easy but some were harder than others. The first four I learnt, each of which took several months to learn were

The Crysanthemum
Palm Leaf Rag
The Entertainer
Pleasant Moments

Of the four the Entertainer took most time for me to learn. Palm Leaf rag only has 3 movements which is a point in it's favour.

The hardest rag I play is

The Nonpareil

Three rags which I learnt more quickly were

Bink's Waltz
Swipesy
The Favorite

And there is a large set of rags which are in progress, all of which are going much more slowly than the three above and which I would consider to be on the hard side.

Eugenia
Maple Leaf Rag
Pine Apple Rag
Rosebud March
Weeping Willow
Paragon

Chris G, that's a great list! Nonpareil is such a nice one too.

Weeping Willow is on my Joplin top 5 favorites. It's not one of his popular works but it's such a melodious piece.

I've heard and read that some of Joplin's hardest works are: Gladioulus, Fig Leaf, Magnetic Rag, Breeze from Alabama, and Solace. Perhaps one day learn them. smile

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Your host tries a bit of Billy Joel's Root Beer Rag.

First you'll here excerpts from Kathy's song, written for my friend Kathy, then a much shortened version of "rock opera" arrangement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, and finally a bit of the Root Beer Rag.

Keep in mind this is a noisey setting in a huge hall (at the NAMM show in CA).

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

H
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hi, Frank.

Originally Posted by john f
Question about Ragtime. Does anyone play and perform only Ragtime? I have always wondered about that so I just thought I would ask. As for me, I love Ragtime, Joplin the most. John

Many of the top ragtime players focus on it pretty much exclusively. But many of these are not musicians who do nothing else for a living. Most have unrelated day jobs. But I can think of a few. Bob Milne comes to mind. Though he also does Barrelhouse Boogie from the 20's and early 30's which is closely related.

Other full-time musicians I'm personally acquainted with who play a variety of genres, like jazz, classical, and a contemporary ragtime offshoot known as Terra Verde include Dick Hyman, Max Morath, Tex Wyndham, Jeff Barnhart, Tony Caramia, Morton Gunnar Larsen, The Ophelia Orchestra, Paul Asaro (Leon Redbone's piano player), Mary Sammon (Buddy Guy's keyboard player), Butch Thompson (former pp for Garrison Keillor), Mimi Blais, Glen Jenks, Frank French, Scott Kirby... the list goes on. Almost forgot John Gill .The list of top ragtimers with day-jobs is even longer.

And then there's my wife Sue, who Frank mentioned. She's also a full-time musician. But her musical range is pretty broad, bordering on the eclectic. In addition to Ragtime she does allot of early blues, novelty, stride, boogie, swing, cabaret, show tunes, a little classical, country, pop, and rock. Her latest project is a tribute to one of her earliest influences, Laura Nyro. And lately she's been learning Bossa Nova. In Portuguese. She also seemed to make friends with Jacqueline Schwab at Frank's Cape Cod PianoWorld party and tried her hand at Ashokan Farewell which Jacqueline did for Ken Burns... I sense another influence coming on... perhaps to both of them.

But Sue's best known for her 7-year stint as the Music Director of the Scott Joplin Ragtime Festival in Sedalia, MO... she'll be there again this year. But now that she's "retired" from running it, she'll actually be able to focus on performing for a change.

Sedalia, btw, is the place to go if you're interested in Ragtime... here's this year's line-up:

http://www.scottjoplin.org/performers.htm

And that's only the paid performer/ticketed-concert lineup. If you play enough ragtime to keep it together for 15 minutes in front of a packed, free, outside venue circus tent, they'll likely squeeze you in somewhere. Or strut your stuff at the nightly open-piano after-hours party at the hotel. Many of today's top ragtimers started out that way. Come. It's a week-long ragtime blast.

Howard

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano World
Your host tries a bit of Billy Joel's Root Beer Rag.

First you'll here excerpts from Kathy's song, written for my friend Kathy, then a much shortened version of "rock opera" arrangement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, and finally a bit of the Root Beer Rag.

Keep in mind this is a noisey setting in a huge hall (at the NAMM show in CA).

That was awesome, Frank! Thanks for sharing that. smile

J
J
Hi Howard, Thank you very much for the response. You luck man, get to listen to all that piano for free. Here I have to play to listen and some times the sounds not so good. Maybe I just need to practice more. Thank you, John

K
K

Just because you're deaf doesn't mean you can't play the piano. Hogwash!

Own a Kohler & Campbell KC118 Upright Piano.
C
CJM Offline
C
A great deal of very rare ragtime and stride sheet music has recently been uploaded to www.pianophilia.com. You will need to register, but otherwise is free.

Regards
Chris

Stuart & Sons 2.2 metre #25
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hello folks,

Do anybody know this book? It is a good edition?

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Library-Of-Ragtime-Early-Blues-Piano/3594359

cheers

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I have it and I love it smile I've been working on W.C. Handy's St. Louis Blues from it - one of these days I'm going to have time to make that my recital piece.

The book has a pretty good section on Joplin, but if you've got Joplin elsewhere that's not the reason to buy this book. This book has great rags, cakewalks, and blues from lots of different composers. Too much fun smile

It's also got that plastic comb binding so it opens flat and stays there.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Cathy, thanks a lot for the reply!

As you said, I'm willing to buy it because the broad compilation of less known composers, AND because it has the comb binding as you pointed! The only doubt I had was whether the quality of the scores itselfes was good and reliable or not.

cheers

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
The quality is good. Very readable, and at least the Joplin and St. Louis Blues are original versions, so I assume the rest are, too.

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur
The quality is good. Very readable, and at least the Joplin and St. Louis Blues are original versions, so I assume the rest are, too.

Cathy

Ohh yes... the originality problem... would be terrible learning something not original, or an easier arrangement! frown

Anyway, I'm having a lot of trouble with my Swipesy by know, I think I'll wait a little bit more to buy this edition, I don't know if there are much rags of the swipesy level (people say it is one of the less dificult rags, I don't know what you think about it.. smile )

thx

Last edited by al-mahed; 05/23/10 11:46 PM.
B
B
I've become a fan of a few "newer" Rags, such as:

Mad Scientist Rag:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HucjsXrWtSo

Gitchee Gumee Rag:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk3Vp_74rmI

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Thanks for those links, billertl, and welcome to the forums. Larisa used to post here on occasion, and I've seen her on the Elite Syncopation forums (I lurk there - I'm not a member). I take it you play some ragtime - there's a few of us here who do.

Cathy

Cathy
B
B
Originally Posted by jotur
Thanks for those links, billertl, and welcome to the forums. Larisa used to post here on occasion, and I've seen her on the Elite Syncopation forums (I lurk there - I'm not a member). I take it you play some ragtime - there's a few of us here who do.

Cathy

Larisa is an amazing musician. I'm a ragtime artist myself, and I could only hope to be half as talented as Larisa someday. I've seen most of her Youtube videos, and I'm very impressed.

Another Ragtime person who I follow on Youtube alot is Tom Brier. I've heard he's recorded a few CD's, which I want to buy someday.

Ragtime is the genre of piano music that I'm drawn to the most. I also like Jazz, blues, and rock. But there's just something classic about Ragtime.

I have a Wellington Piano that was made in 1904, which I want to have restored (it's in rough shape). People have told me that the cost of restoring it would be so expensive, that it would be smarter to just buy a new piano instead. But I think I'll opt for restoring the 1904 piano, just because I think old pianos have character. 1904 was the height of the Ragtime craze, and I could just imagine a person playing Ragtime on that piano back when it was new.

I actually have several pianos, which could all use some work. And Ragtime lends itself well to my old pianos that are slightly out of tune.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Undone
I'm a big fan too. Another great site to check out is "Perfessor Bill's": http://www.perfessorbill.com/sources1.shtml

I met Bill Edwards (i.e., "Perfessor Bill") one time at a concert he gave at a local church, and, he is simply one of the best ragtime players I have ever heard!

And, he's a really nice guy to know, too. Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCBC9K3SAZ8

His main homepage is simply:

http://www.perfbill.com/

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
And, of course, his unforgetable Hanon Rag <http://www.perfbill.com/albums/pbrec7.shtml> If you're bored with Hanon, try this!

Originally Posted by pv88
Originally Posted by Undone
I'm a big fan too. Another great site to check out is "Perfessor Bill's": http://www.perfessorbill.com/sources1.shtml

I met Bill Edwards (i.e., "Perfessor Bill") one time at a concert he gave at a local church, and, he is simply one of the best ragtime players I have ever heard!

And, he's a really nice guy to know, too. Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCBC9K3SAZ8

His main homepage is simply:

http://www.perfbill.com/

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission