Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1414115 - 04/09/10 10:14 AM Re: Digital/acoustic students - Can you tell the difference? [Re: Bunneh]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I have some students who have portable keyboards, some who practice on digitals, some who have acoustic pianos. I would say that at least half of the students who own acoustic pianos should ditch them, as they would be better off with a digital piano.

If you're comparing playing on a digital to a GOOD acoustic piano, then yes, I would always recommend the acoustic. However, in the real world, most parents will NOT pay the serious $$ needed for a good acoustic. Instead, they find a 'steal' in the newspaper or maybe they inherited Grandma's piano. Many older models have horrible action (much like the 'highly-hated' keyboards) and are out of tune. In such cases, is an acoustic better than a digital? No way.

I would love it if all of my students had a quality acoustic piano, but that's not real life.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1414231 - 04/09/10 01:37 PM Re: Digital/acoustic students - Can you tell the difference? [Re: cinstance]
fe2008 Offline

Loc: Brazil
Originally Posted By: cinstance
My son started (when he was 6 1/2) with a Roland digital piano for one and a half years. We upgraded to a Kawai RX-3 two months ago because he had outgrown the digital piano. "outgrow" here means the digital can no longer meets the teacher's requirements such as producing tone color, pedal practice, and producing consistent dynamics when switching to an acoustic for performance.

After the upgrade, my son found out that he could play a trill with faster speed and easier with the acoustic upon the first try, and he really begun to experiment with different touches and listen to the tone rather than satisfying with just playing the notes right like he were with the digital before. The transformation from digital to acoustic is not hard at all for a little boy, but I can feel how different his playing is now from two months ago.

My view is that a good digital piano might be OK for a young beginner, but it would be better to start with an acoustic to avoid the unnecessary transition later.

What's the roland piano model your son used to play?

#1414240 - 04/09/10 01:45 PM Re: Digital/acoustic students - Can you tell the difference? [Re: fe2008]
cinstance Offline

fe2008,

My son played on a Roland HP 203, it is probably very similar to your CLP 330.

#1414263 - 04/09/10 02:24 PM Re: Digital/acoustic students - Can you tell the difference? [Re: cinstance]
cinstance Offline

B.T.W., we didn't make the upgrade until we changed from my son's first teacher, whom we truly loved and thanked, to his current teacher, a most expensive one in the town if it does make a difference to mention smile.

We were not that convinced by my son's first teacher to upgrade, because her main point opposing the DP is its light action. We tried a lot of acoustic pianos in the stores and find many of their actions are not noticeably heavier or better than the Roland DP. On the other hand, the sweet hamburg Steinway sound of the Roland HP 203 outperformed probably more than half of the acoustic pianos we tried.

Not until my son's new teacher, showed us her tremendous skills in creating numerous color tones from her rebuilt 1893 Steinway B, and to a less extent my son could also do it on the same piano, we begun to understand we can not wait any more.

#1414284 - 04/09/10 03:07 PM Re: Digital/acoustic students - Can you tell the difference? [Re: LisztAddict]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: LisztAddict
Can you tell that this person does a large portion of his practice on a DP?

http://www.youtube.com/user/doowlehc#p/u/10/xMf4bGvjbwQ

The bear baiting not withstanding, you might consider that a person who can competently play on a piano should have little trouble using a keyboard. It's the reverse being discussed here.

#1414893 - 04/10/10 05:47 PM Re: Digital/acoustic students - Can you tell the difference? [Re: dumdumdiddle]
Gary D. Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
Originally Posted By: dumdumdiddle
I have some students who have portable keyboards, some who practice on digitals, some who have acoustic pianos. I would say that at least half of the students who own acoustic pianos should ditch them, as they would be better off with a digital piano.

This parallels my own experience as a teacher.
Quote:

If you're comparing playing on a digital to a GOOD acoustic piano, then yes, I would always recommend the acoustic. However, in the real world, most parents will NOT pay the serious $$ needed for a good acoustic.

That also matches my experience.
Quote:

Instead, they find a 'steal' in the newspaper or maybe they inherited Grandma's piano. Many older models have horrible action (much like the 'highly-hated' keyboards) and are out of tune. In such cases, is an acoustic better than a digital? No way.

It's worse. I have students whose parents have bought new pianos, but the pianos are horrible. For the most part, parents do as they please, and tops on their list is how the piano will match the rest of their furniture. And after they get pianos, they won't tune them. They won't have a technician keep them in regulation.
Quote:

I would love it if all of my students had a quality acoustic piano, but that's not real life.

It's not real life where I live. My students have to earn better instruments by proving to their parents that they are serious, by becoming good enough players so that the difference is AUDIBLE to the parents. I didn't get a good upright until I was in my teens. A grand was out of the question. Even playing on a good one was a rare treat.

And as I have repeatedly said, once I did have grands to practice and perform on, I could not stand to play on uprights. No one seems to agree with me, but I loathe them.

#1414902 - 04/10/10 06:08 PM Re: Digital/acoustic students - Can you tell the difference? [Re: Gary D.]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: Gary D.
It's not real life where I live. My students have to earn better instruments by proving to their parents that they are serious, by becoming good enough players so that the difference is AUDIBLE to the parents.

That's interesting. Most of my parents couldn't hear the difference between an electric and acoustical if their lives depended on it. The students, however, are another question.

Originally Posted By: Gary D.
And as I have repeatedly said, once I did have grands to practice and perform on, I could not stand to play on uprights. No one seems to agree with me, but I loathe them.

There's no question that for a well trained pianist, there is a very noticeable difference between grands and uprights. But loathing just seems a bit strong!

Originally Posted By: dumdumdiddle

My life observations are that people buy pretty much what they want, regardless of income strata (not talking the uber rich here).

#1415162 - 04/11/10 09:23 AM Re: Digital/acoustic students - Can you tell the difference? [Re: IramChZ]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
What about people like me who practice daily on a poorly regulated upright acoustic piano? Is it still better than practicing on a digital such as Yamaha P140?

Recitals:

#1420963 - 04/21/10 12:40 AM Re: Digital/acoustic students - Can you tell the difference? [Re: Teodor]
elfenbein Offline

Loc: USA
My husband and I like to look at houses (for sale), out of curiosity, not because we are looking to move. One particular one was a McMansion, fancy, bombastic, everything screamed "we are rich and we are not afraid to show it!" In the basement family room was a baby grand, couldn't have been more than 4 and a half feet long. Lid closed, the whole thing shoved into a corner. My husband thinks it came with the McMansion kit ...

#1421006 - 04/21/10 02:15 AM Re: Digital/acoustic students - Can you tell the difference? [Re: Minaku]
tdow Offline

Loc: Canada
We always tell parents that, if the choice has to be made, a good digital piano is a better choice than a horrible "off Noah's arc" acoustic. Of course acoustic pianos are the preference if they are a quality piano.

Few beginning piano students are fortunate enough to have a family that can afford the optimal instrument (and few parents are willing to invest without first knowing ifthe piano will be a long-term interest for their children). We've found digital pianos are a great alternative to having students practice on awful keyboards or old, out of tune and broken acoustics. They're certainly the lesser of two evils! Once their children are hooked on the piano, parents have been happy to sell their digital (they hold their value pretty well!) and upgrade to a good acoustic. We view them as a very solid stepping stone.

#1421833 - 04/22/10 03:51 AM Re: Digital/acoustic students - Can you tell the difference? [Re: Minaku]
Smallpiano Offline

When I was 18-19 years old, I moved away from my parents and live by myself in another city. In my tiny room that I share with another lady, I can't fit my piano in there and I end up buying a digital piano (88 keys,weighted) (not a keyboard) and practice on it while taking lesson from a teacher in town. After one year, somehow, during conversation, my teacher realized that I only practice on a digital piano, she was SO SURPRISE! She even ran to her husband (also a very good concert pianist in town) and tell her husband that:"I can't believe she is only playing on a digital piano at home all these months"
I think either she cannot really tell the difference or I able to adjust to both digital and acoustic?

Addition after edit:
I practice on acoustic piano since my childhood at my parent's home, and I might already develop my fingers muscle on that. Only those two years that I don't have access to a real piano, and I had only a digital piano. I think that is why she is not able to tell. Guess what, I pass my ABRSM Grade 8 with flying colors with that digital piano that I had for two years.
Anyway, I always encourage the parents in my studio to buy an acoustic piano if they can afford one, or otherwise I can accept a digital piano up to 1 year of piano studies.

Edited by small piano (04/22/10 04:02 AM)

#1422508 - 04/23/10 07:27 AM Re: Digital/acoustic students - Can you tell the difference? [Re: Smallpiano]
Elissa Milne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
small piano, I think that's exactly it - you started and continued for years to practice on an acoustic piano... I too had only a digital for a couple of years, and it did me no substantial harm, but I was already a pianist with 12 years of playing (as well as some diplomas) behind me, and access to acoustic pianos at least once a week...

This discussion is about people genuinely 'learning' to play the piano from scratch using a digital keyboard/piano.....
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com

#1422712 - 04/23/10 02:16 PM Re: Digital/acoustic students - Can you tell the difference? [Re: Elissa Milne]
Smallpiano Offline

Agree with you Elissa Milne!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
79 registered (Atrys, angga888, AZNpiano, ando, 18 invisible), 1336 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156298 Topics
2295430 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tight Key ??
by moy71
07/31/14 01:15 AM
Learning progress
by sunnyday
07/31/14 01:10 AM
How old is a Ahlborn-Galanti Digital Pipe Organ Chronicler
by Chopinlover49
07/30/14 10:55 PM
1906 Steinway K52 purchase for recording studio?
by nlive
07/30/14 10:44 PM
Marc-André Hamelin discusses Rachmaninoff
by vers la flan
07/30/14 09:59 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission