2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,882 guests, and 329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Thanks to all of you who've replied to my recent threads with postings or private messages. I'm grateful for all the thoughtful advice and information you've provided.

Today it became clear to me that the right piano for me is the one that's now known as CD-888. I've talked with techs who've worked on it and others to find out what I can about its history . . .

It was built in 1993 and went to Manhattan to enter the retail sales inventory. In 1994 it was sold to Indiana University School of Music. I haven't yet learned what happened during the next 11 years, but I do know that in late 2005 it returned to Manhattan, entered the Concert and Artists program, and was sent to Detroit in early 2006. CD-888 has been doing classical and jazz concerts in Michigan since then. I'm told by a tech who knows it well that when it arrived in Detroit it was a bit green and the tone wasn't fully developed, but he feels it's developed nicely over the four years he's prepped it for concerts. CD-888 is often the concert D chosen for concertos because it can hold its own with a full orchestra.

Next week CD-888 is going to a concert at University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, where a tech who comes highly recommended will inspect it for me. Assuming the tech finds no deal breakers, CD-888 will then retire from the concert stage and resume its old identity as 528716. It will return to Detroit for a complete refinishing and should be ready for me to take delivery in about three months.

I had endless debates with myself about how I should shop for and choose this piano: Should I shop in Michigan or go to New York? Should I look for new or used? Is rebuilt better than a retired concert? Should I go back to my original plan to buy a B or or should I pursue a D? And on and on.

In the end, my decision was based on nothing more than this particular piano's tone and touch, and that's enough for me to know that it's the right instrument for me.

CD-888 has a lovely light touch and a clear, sweet, mellow tone. I'm astonished that whatever I play sounds beautiful. For example, I love recordings of Rachmaninov's Elegy, so I've been learning it, but I've been disappointed at my inability to come close to achieving musically what I hear in recordings. Today, playing CD-888, I actually began to hear what I was looking for. It's a pleasure to play very softly as well as to release CD-888's full power. I don't have to concentrate on achieving exactly the dynamic results I'm aiming for; the piano seems to read my mind. And CD-888 is so comfortable to play that it reminds me of wearing a favorite old pair of jeans.

So it became a choice of the heart, not the head. As so many of you said it should be!

Carol

Steinway D, No. 528716 (formerly CD-888)
Blüthner 4, No. 150915
Estonia L190, No. 6552
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Congratulations, Carol! Assuming the tech inspection turns out as expected, you have purchased a wonderful instrument. Finding a really "killer" D is much harder than finding a "killer" B. In fact, I have only ever played one D that I would take over the B I have. And it isn't for sale, fortunately. grin

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
J
J
May you have the joy of it.

The last D I saw was a sad case..."someone" had filed the hammers flat, installed the WNG action, drilled out the leads to make THAT work...and this a 3 year old...

I really can't say more, as I think charges may be pending...but, rest assured, she was in good hands and "coming back"!!

...and the dayight o'er the pavement, quite has faded...and the strong dead march enwraps me...

PTG Associate Member
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh wow! Congratulations!

I heard/ leaned on a D once, and that was convincing enough that it was one of the best pianos ever! Fantastic instrument!

Hailun HU7P
1799 John Broadwood and son square
1800 George Astor London square
1810 Gibson and Davis New York square
1830 John Broadwood and sons square

Aeolian-Hammond BA player organ
Conn 652 theater organ
1922 Kotykiewicz two manual harmonium
1880s karn pump organ

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
How exciting Carol! A piano with history and a track record. I would have dark circles under my eyes my the time it arrived! It sounds like a perfect match.
Carl

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Oh, and YOU MUST POST PICS! grin

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Oh, and YOU MUST POST PICS!

+ 1

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It's a great conclusion to your story. May your new piano bring you many years of loyal service.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Wow! you are going to have so many hours and years of wonderful music. How fun. Enjoy how wonderful to have a little piece of heaven here on earth.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Carol, I loved reading your story. Congratulations! The first time I played a D was at a recital, and I felt like a surgeon with a great scalpel. Nothing stood between the idea in my head and what came off the strings.

Before the recital I was intimidated by the piano. Then when I started playing, (I know this will sound strange) I felt like the piano wanted to help me, like we had some kind of mutual respect. A weird but wonderful experience.

I hope the next 3 months pass quickly for you.

Last edited by Larry Larson; 04/02/10 09:35 PM.

1995 Baldwin L grand
2001 Baldwin Hamilton upright
Yamaha S90 synthesizer
www.larrylarsonpiano.com
YouTubeChannel www.youtube.com/LarryLarsonPiano
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Congrats,

I do find myself confused now. I have been told many times a Steinway "D" should be retired after 10 years of concert use. Something about the soundboards loosing full power after 10 years. I always thought that was a load of garb since most of the "D"s I work on are well over 10 years old and my clients decide to repair them instead of replace them.

I am please to read it was used for 10 years before it became a C&A instrument and then found fit to still "tour"

Fantastic!!!!

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
hzppy for you - and can't wait to hear about delivery - do share!

Sounds awesome. And though you mention you picked with your heart, it also sounds good from the head. You clearly did your homework and had everything thoroughly investigated.

I'm sure Rach's Elegy would sound spectacular on it.

Congrats. I'm always happy to hear when a fellow PW poster lands a high-end piano. (Well, any piano, but particularly a high end one.)

Shigeru Kawai SK6
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Congratulations!! A great NY D is a dream piano -- I'm so happy for you! please keep us posted on it.

Sophia

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Horowitzian

Says he who still owes us pictures from his practice space.... whistle Give me your address and I'll send you some fresh batteries. smile

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SeilerFan

Says he who still owes us pictures from his practice space.... whistle Give me your address and I'll send you some fresh batteries. smile

I don't owe anyone anything, mate. wink

School is nuts these days, so between actually practicing (!) and schoolwork, any extracurriculars are a crapshoot. frown I'll try to git r done after finals.

Last edited by Horowitzian; 04/03/10 12:59 AM.

J
J

In a way, I know what you're saying...but, in another way...how sad...

...and the dayight o'er the pavement, quite has faded...and the strong dead march enwraps me...

PTG Associate Member
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JPDelmore

In a way, I know what you're saying...but, in another way...how sad...

What I meant was the former. I don't owe people on the interwebz pictures of my house; I will post them because I really would like to share pics of my practice space as per the Pianist Corner thread, not because someone tells me I have to. But time is at a premium for me these days, so it will have to wait.

That said, I'm signing off to do other things soon. laugh

C
C
Judging by the amount of posts you have accumlated in the last 2 years you have plenty of time ;-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission