Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1410247 - 04/03/10 08:08 PM The most BORING music on the planet...,.
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
has to be Schubert's tiresome Impromptus, D899.

What is it with Schubert? He cannot do anything wrong? The first Impromptu chases its tail in a rather embarrassing manner, the second Impromptu is a funny attempt at an etude, the third Impromptu tries so hard to be sublime, and the forth tries to be unique -we're experimenting with Ab minor- but ultimately it's tiresomely predictable.

Schubert wrote a lot of music which is demonstrably superior... I just don't think the D899 represents him as his best. Comments?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1410249 - 04/03/10 08:10 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: argerichfan]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Tell us you're kidding. smile

#1410252 - 04/03/10 08:16 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: Mark_C]
Frozenicicles Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
There's no accounting for taste. I don't think you can get more boring than 4'33", at any rate...unless you write a "4 hours and 33 minutes".

#1410254 - 04/03/10 08:20 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: Frozenicicles]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
As McEnroe said...

"You cannot be serious!"

#1410255 - 04/03/10 08:22 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: Frozenicicles]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Frozenicicles
There's no accounting for taste. I don't think you can get more boring than 4'33", at any rate...unless you write a "4 hours and 33 minutes".

I got my biggest ovation ever for that piece.
Which of course isn't saying much. smile

#1410262 - 04/03/10 08:28 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: Frozenicicles]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

But, it's high art is it not? grin Actually, I agree. A complete waste of bandwidth.

#1410263 - 04/03/10 08:28 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: Mark_C]
Frozenicicles Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Seriously? Cool! It's a joke between me and my teacher. Whenever she asks me what I want to perform for a recital, I always reply with 4'33". I've never been allowed to yet! One of these days she ought to let me. laugh

#1410266 - 04/03/10 08:30 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: Frozenicicles]
Mark_C Offline

(BTW.......I shortened it to 30 seconds.
And I divided it into movements.) smile

#1410275 - 04/03/10 08:39 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: argerichfan]
Mark_C Offline

To approach the OP seriously (or try to)..... smile

In truth, many people feel that way about much Schubert, especially the longer works. If you catch me in a certain mood, I might even say that about the great posthumous B-flat major Sonata. It's great, but it can be borderline 'boring,' even (IMO) with a great performance. (Especially if the dreaded repeat is taken in the 1st movement.) ha

I find it harder to say anything like that about the shorter Schubert works, although to tell the truth I might almost say it about that 1st impromptu (the C minor). It's the least performed of this set, and I think of all the Schubert impromptus altogether, and IMO with good reason.

P.S. About "repeats" in general: It's a big subject for debate, and most serious musicians usually seem to say "take the repeats." I think that if we polled audiences, the opinion would be almost unanimous -- on the other side. ha

I'm half hoping this will hijack the thread. Maybe better to argue about repeats than whether Schubert's impromptus are the most boring music on the planet. grin

#1410281 - 04/03/10 08:50 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: Mark_C]
ladypayne Offline

Loc: AK, USA
ahh that kinda reminds me since I'm still working on Mozart's twinkle twinkle little star 12 variations. Every one of them has a repeat and well, I don't repeat them and the vids on youtube that I've seen on the 12 variations don't repeat all of them over either. Only a few vids on utube seem to play exactly as Mozart has it with all 12 repeating after eachother. I just find it kind of pointless to go through all the repeats again playing the exact same thing but maybe there's a point? :)Oh and sorry, never listened much to Schubert so can't help on that one :P

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -Ludwig van Beethoven

#1410287 - 04/03/10 09:01 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: ladypayne]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: ladypayne
ahh that kinda reminds me since I'm still working on Mozart's twinkle twinkle little star 12 variations. Every one of them has a repeat and well, I don't repeat them and the vids on youtube that I've.....

A few years ago, a friend played that in an amateur competition. As it happened, not only did she play all the repeats, she also took a very slow tempo, so she ran way over the time limit. The judges stopped her. And the director of the event was heard muttering, "Yeah, we don't need to hear every variation of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star......"

#1410288 - 04/03/10 09:02 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: ladypayne]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Alright you guys! I have an Easter service to play in a matter of hours, and I'm pissed off at Schubert. Christ has not quite risen yet.

But I am assured of a wonderful lunch after my Anglican service... yes, I will have a Bloody Mary...

#1410295 - 04/03/10 09:03 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: argerichfan]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: argerichfan
Alright you guys! I have an Easter service to play in a matter of hours, and I'm pissed off at Schubert. Christ has not quite risen yet.....

Aha!! The root of the problem!!!!

#1410296 - 04/03/10 09:03 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: Mark_C]
ladypayne Offline

aww I actually like all 12 variations but I wouldn't like to repeat all of them and most people play them fairly quickly so the song is like 5 and a half mins or so. Not too bad I would think :P

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -Ludwig van Beethoven

#1410312 - 04/03/10 09:19 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: ladypayne]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

So now Schubert's silly and idiotic 'Introduction & Variations' for flute and piano are now considered great music? Who besides yours truly has actually suffered through this nonsense?

What utter bilge. I hated every moment of it. Terrible music, if Schubert's name were not attached to it, would anyone give it anything other than a miss? Face it: Schubert bombed out. He was too busy writing too much music, that was his problem.

Over and out. Happy Easter!

#1410325 - 04/03/10 09:39 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: pianoloverus]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
As McEnroe said...

"You cannot be serious!"

#1410326 - 04/03/10 09:40 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: argerichfan]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Sadly, I'm not familiar with a whole lot of Schubert's music. What I have listened to I like, but nothing that really stands out to me (solo piano, that is), except the G flat Impromptu. smile I don't get tired of that piece.

#1410327 - 04/03/10 09:41 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: argerichfan]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Honestly, I'm not all that crazy about Schubert. The great Bflat sonata is, however, without a doubt, a masterpiece. I also love the little A major sonata. The impromptus? I could probably take them, or leave them, though I did play the Eflat (899/2) for an encore once.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1410328 - 04/03/10 09:42 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: stores]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: stores
.....though I did play the Eflat (899/2) for an encore once.

Not good enough for the printed program, eh? ha

(IMO it's a great piece as an encore or for the printed program.)

#1410334 - 04/03/10 09:48 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: Mark_C]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
.....though I did play the Eflat (899/2) for an encore once.

Not good enough for the printed program, eh? ha

(IMO it's a great piece as an encore or for the printed program.)

Haha. It does, actually, make a great encore. They're not "bad" works, at all (the impromptus, that is), but they don't really grab me. Some of the sonatas have their moments, but then, wow, he comes up with the Bflat and you're left wondering what else he'd been hiding up his sleeve.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

#1410337 - 04/03/10 09:50 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: stores]
ladypayne Offline

Is schubert really that bad? lol I have never played any of his works so I wouldn't know but from the sounds of it, he's not all that great like Mozart, Chopin, Beethoven etc :P

#1410345 - 04/03/10 10:00 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: ladypayne]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
No, I don't find him as great as Beethoven or Chopin. But he's still a great composer, and very important.

#1410347 - 04/03/10 10:09 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: Orange Soda King]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
Sadly, I'm not familiar with a whole lot of Schubert's music. What I have listened to I like, but nothing that really stands out to me (solo piano, that is), except the G flat Impromptu. smile I don't get tired of that piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHE0Ibz19YI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f9Hq34L8Ag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZm3JbzFzrQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Ak7Tk9B3s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKwRiSEiebA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du07TuqTL-8

#1410350 - 04/03/10 10:17 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: pianoloverus]
veem Offline

Loc: CA, USA

#1410363 - 04/03/10 10:48 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: Mark_C]
Damon Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area

You should have learned Op. 90 No. 4. Bet you could win a competition with that! laugh

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

#1410364 - 04/03/10 10:48 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: ladypayne]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Thank you.. I hate Schubert.. Let the bashing begin. (Or not.. you won't win)

Except Arpeggione - love that piece! And very rarely some songs. And I feel I can say that because I've played tons of Schubert when I was young and I won a Schubert competition in Europe many years ago.. hahhahah.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1410383 - 04/03/10 11:23 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: argerichfan]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Just speaking personally, I don't really see much point in trashing music which so many people (including me) hold so dear. Just ignore it if you don't like it, and start a thread about Liszt, Wagner or Elgar instead.

#1410384 - 04/03/10 11:24 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: Damon]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Damon
....4'33.....

You should have learned Op. 90 No. 4. Bet you could win a competition with that! laugh

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

grin Nice job.......I love in-jokes. thumb

#1410390 - 04/03/10 11:29 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: currawong]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: currawong
Just speaking personally, I don't really see much point in trashing music which so many people (including me) hold so dear. Just ignore it if you don't like it, and start a thread about Liszt, Wagner or Elgar instead.

So, it's ok to trash Liszt, Wagner, or Elgar? Just curious.

♪ ≠ $

#1410392 - 04/03/10 11:32 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: stores]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
So, it's ok to trash Liszt, Wagner, or Elgar? Just curious.
I wasn't suggesting anyone trash Liszt, Wagner or Elgar. I was suggesting argerichfan start a thread about music he actually likes, and those three composers would be sure to appear in such a thread.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
164 registered (ando, accordeur, 36251, 48 invisible), 1897 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74230 Members
42 Forums
153553 Topics
2250401 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
OT: John Passion
by wimpiano
04/18/14 04:33 PM
3/4 time for 6/8 time comping patterns?
by Ben Ther
04/18/14 04:33 PM
Shanks with parallel wood grain
by JohnSprung
04/18/14 04:15 PM
Pinblocks & bridges... How long do they last?
by Piano Practice
04/18/14 03:58 PM
Spinoff: What do we think of "technique seminars"?
by TwoSnowflakes
04/18/14 02:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission