Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1410405 - 04/03/10 11:48 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: currawong]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
By the way, argerichfan, ladypayne was talking about the Mozart twinkle variations, not the Schubert Trockne Blumen ones.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1410422 - 04/04/10 12:28 AM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: currawong]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Taking a grain of salt with argerichfan's hyperbolic "most BORING music on the planet," I just can't go that far with respect to these pieces. I've played all four the of D899 Impromptus and not only have I enjoyed performing three of them, I often return to them and play them for pleasure. They have their repetitious moments, granted, but the better, lyrical, truly Schubertian moments in them make them worth while pieces, in my opinion.

Of course, it's good that we all don't like the same things, and while I agree these are not the greatest of Schubert's output, they don't bore me - except, perhaps, when not well played by someone else! smile

In that respect, Jason may be right; they don't stand up to mediocre performances!

Regards,

#1410432 - 04/04/10 01:05 AM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: BruceD]
al-mahed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rio de Janeiro
May I commit another sacrilege (or pehaps, 2 or 3? smile )? I found the sequence of 3 minuets from Bach's Overture in G Minor - BWV 822 quite boring, I refuse to learn them when my teacher asked me to do so... The third I liked, but the other 2, particularly the 2nd, are annoying, and the 3 together is torture. But Bach I love, perhaps this is just temporary "bad taste" of mine.

Someone have opened a thread about Sorabji's fugues. The first I've listened sounds like a computer algorithm. I'm sorry to say but this is not music at all.

http://www.davetubaking.com/resources/Fuga+A+Quattro+Soggetti+-+Dux+alter.mp3

Working on: music

#1410433 - 04/04/10 01:12 AM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: al-mahed]
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
There is too much good music to concern oneself about music you do not like.

#1410439 - 04/04/10 01:36 AM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: BDB]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Jason, how a propos! I have just come back from an evening of the most boring "piano music" ever invented. It was one of those social obligations that I had to show up for (long story). The evening turned into an opportunity for an intimate study of the intricate details of persian rug designs. Staring at the rug was all I could do to avoid turning insane. The "man of the house" sat at the piano six minutes after greeting us into his home and started ripping into "atmospheric music" pieces. A slurry of overpedaled musical slurpees come to mind. It made me yearn for physical torture as a way out. Wifey was bringing him his wine glass to sip from while he tore into the Steinway. And no he was not improvising new agedly. Somebody apparently wrote the crappy stuff. Syrupy Schubert impromptus would sound fabulously invigorating in comparison. I know that is not what you have in mind when you talk about "music", boring or not, but you gave me an opportunity to vent! The only good thing about it is the feeling that I have now paid penance for all my digressions past and future, and I am ready for Easter morning..

#1410440 - 04/04/10 01:40 AM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: argerichfan]
Ridicolosamente Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Miami, Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: argerichfan
Schubert wrote a lot of music which is demonstrably superior... I just don't think the D899 represents him as his best. Comments?
Agreed.

The C minor does have a few lovely moments, but is so long-winded. The Eb is semi-charming but disposable. You summed up the G-flat perfectly. The Ab, nice, but I've had better.

-Daniel

#1410441 - 04/04/10 01:41 AM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: argerichfan]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
has to be Schubert's tiresome Impromptus, D899.

What is it with Schubert? He cannot do anything wrong? The first Impromptu chases its tail in a rather embarrassing manner, the second Impromptu is a funny attempt at an etude, the third Impromptu tries so hard to be sublime, and the forth tries to be unique -we're experimenting with Ab minor- but ultimately it's tiresomely predictable.

Schubert wrote a lot of music which is demonstrably superior... I just don't think the D899 represents him as his best. Comments?

So you aren't really bashing Schubert - just these four Impromptus.

With the exception of the G-flat Major (which I think IS a sublime work when played well) I agree that the others can wear a little thin due to overexposure - and I agree that Schubert wrote other works for solo piano which are more innovative and interesting (Wanderer Fantasy, the sonatas, Impromptus and Moments Musicals, etc.) not to mention his lieder, symphonies, choral works, chamber music, etc.

I strongly disagree with those posters who state that Schubert is a "lesser" composer than Mozart, Beethoven or Chopin. His work occupies a unique niche in music history, is distinctly his own from a stylistic standpoint, and still moves us deeply today. Such an amazing output for someone who died so young.

#1410445 - 04/04/10 01:55 AM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: carey]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Interesting aside fan (re: Schubert),

Whenever I find myself at a loss as to the piece of distantly Beethoven music heard over the radio ... it’s always by Schubert ... a sort of watered-down LB ... besides getting certain keyboard works of his under the fingers such as Hark, Hark the Lark, The Trout and one of his Impromptus ... I find myself having difficulty wanting to delve deeper.

The Unfinished Symphony however, is another ball of chalk.

PS Interestingly, in the adjacent thread on Styles, nobody has as yet made mention of Schubert (instantly recognizable style) ... however, he finds himself in the good company of Handel, Mendelssohn and Haydn ... with no takers.

#1410475 - 04/04/10 03:20 AM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: BDB]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BDB
There is too much good music to concern oneself about music you do not like.

True, unless you are interested in understanding more about why you don't like it. And trying to understand what it is about it that someone else does like (because if no one at all liked it, chances are you wouldn't know about it and wouldn't be given the opportunity to hear it).

Once in a while, I've found that to be a useful and ear-opening exercise. There's sure a lot more music I do like today, than there would be if I had never challenged myself to get past my initial dislike. I think that's a good thing.

#1410476 - 04/04/10 03:25 AM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: wr]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Agree with wr. It is particularly so, for me, in the case of contemporary classical music. I have recently experienced this ear- (and mind) opening exercise when I listened to some compositions by Thomas Ades.

#1410538 - 04/04/10 07:33 AM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: Andromaque]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Hehe, the first movement of the trout quintet is one of my all time favorite chamber works. So catchy! laugh

#1410542 - 04/04/10 07:51 AM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: currawong]
John_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, UK
Sad.

As a listener, Schubert is one of the handful of composers I love and keep returning to again and again, especially his chamber music and lieder. (The others include Bach, Beethoven, Messiaen, Shostakovich, Mahler, etc.)

But then many contributors to this forum revere Chopin whereas his music most definitely passes me by.

#1410561 - 04/04/10 08:49 AM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: John_B]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Thanks for the comments. I started the thread after hearing a very boring performance of the Schubert (I fault the pianist more than anything else), and was amusing myself before getting ready to play for an Easter service.

Things went quite well, btw. thumb

#1410592 - 04/04/10 10:04 AM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: Pogorelich.]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: AngelinaPogorelich
Thank you.. I hate Schubert.. Let the bashing begin. (Or not.. you won't win)
I bet yo like a lot of the Schubert-Liszt song transcriptions.

#1410604 - 04/04/10 10:42 AM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: pianoloverus]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cornwall, England
The D899 Impromptus are in my opinion, amongst the absolute jewels of all literature for the piano.

For me - sorry - it doesn't get much more "boring" than - most of - JSB. De riguer for technique and interesting from an historical viewpoint but, to be honest, I'd rather watch paint dry.

#1410613 - 04/04/10 10:57 AM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: cruiser]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: cruiser
The D899 Impromptus are in my opinion, amongst the absolute jewels of all literature for the piano.

For me - sorry - it doesn't get much more "boring" than - most of - JSB. De riguer for technique and interesting from an historical viewpoint but, to be honest, I'd rather watch paint dry.

By JSB, of course, you do refer to, Joe Sure Blows, because, otherwise, you would be guilty of blasphemy. =p

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1410632 - 04/04/10 11:31 AM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: stores]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cornwall, England
...yes, of course that's the "JSB" I'm talking about blush I guess you're not too keen on him either!

#1410657 - 04/04/10 12:51 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: cruiser]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: cruiser
...yes, of course that's the "JSB" I'm talking about blush I guess you're not too keen on him either!

Ah, Joe, no, I'm not to keen on, but, Johann Sebastian Bach, is God.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1410670 - 04/04/10 01:06 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: stores]
Davetubaking Offline

Loc: Walthamstow, London
Anyone mentioned Einaudi, I haven't bothered to read the whole thread but someone must have mentioned his music. Fits the title of this thread like a glove.

Sorabji Fan - recently enjoying the Liszt transcriotions of the Beethoven Symphonies and Stravinskies works for two pianos.

#1410673 - 04/04/10 01:10 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: Davetubaking]
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
Chopin minute waltz has to be among the most boring music, and every time i hear it, i want to run away...

#1410674 - 04/04/10 01:11 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: Davetubaking]
ladypayne Offline

Loc: AK, USA
don't think anybody mentioned Einaudi. I personally like most of his music but he is repetitive in a lot of his music which can get a little boring at times.

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -Ludwig van Beethoven

#1410675 - 04/04/10 01:11 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: Davetubaking]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Davetubaking
Anyone mentioned Einaudi, I haven't bothered to read the whole thread but someone must have mentioned his music. Fits the title of this thread like a glove.

Methinks that "atmospheric music" I was stuck listening to last night (see post above) is Einaudi-esque, if not the real thing.

#1410681 - 04/04/10 01:18 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: signa]
BruceD Offline

Please! Don't let me jinx this thread by making the following comment. In light of recent threads - and some not so recent, I guess - it is disarmingly refreshing to read differing points of view and opinions on music and composers without rancor, invective or name-calling.

A very Happy Easter to all of who who celebrate it!

Regards,

#1410693 - 04/04/10 01:39 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: BruceD]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Joyeuses Pâques to you too. But where do you detect rancor, invective and name-calling?

#1410698 - 04/04/10 01:48 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: Andromaque]
BruceD Offline

Originally Posted By: Andromaque
Joyeuses Pâques to you too. But where do you detect rancor, invective and name-calling?

Not in this thread, certainly. I'm not about to spoil a lovely day by digging up past spats, fights and battles.

Regards,

#1410701 - 04/04/10 01:52 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: BruceD]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ah I see. You meant it as a general statement. Agreed. smile.
Although I do miss the action sometimes if things get quiet for long..

#1410719 - 04/04/10 02:20 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: signa]
Ferdinand Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
has to be Schubert's tiresome Impromptus, D899.

What is it with Schubert? He cannot do anything wrong? The first Impromptu chases its tail in a rather embarrassing manner

Originally Posted By: signa
Chopin minute waltz has to be among the most boring music, and every time i hear it, i want to run away...

It appears you two are suffering from the syndrome known as codafugaphobia. Help is available.

#1410726 - 04/04/10 02:41 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: signa]
BruceD Offline

Originally Posted By: signa

Don't panic; it will be over in a minute! smile

#1410740 - 04/04/10 03:12 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: Andromaque]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Per BTB - "Whenever I find myself at a loss as to the piece of distantly Beethoven music heard over the radio ... it’s always by Schubert ... a sort of watered-down LB ... besides getting certain keyboard works of his under the fingers such as Hark, Hark the Lark, The Trout and one of his Impromptus ... I find myself having difficulty wanting to delve deeper."

You owe it to yourself to try !! smile

#1411070 - 04/04/10 11:25 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: Ferdinand]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: Ferdinand

It appears you two are suffering from the syndrome known as codafugaphobia. Help is available.

Thanks for that. I'll see what I can do! laugh

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
74 registered (Baudelaire, barbaram, a-z0-9, AndrewJCW, barmassimo, 20 invisible), 1324 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156219 Topics
2294267 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
07/27/14 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
07/27/14 10:56 PM
Accessories needed for grand pianos.
by Stevio55
07/27/14 08:31 PM
Schulze Pollmann 113e Moderno detail information?
by pdxfz1
07/27/14 07:12 PM
Will starting on unweighted keys cause problems later on?
by Alex1
07/27/14 05:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission