Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
60 registered (661-Pete, Al LaPorte, Auver, Batuhan, Alux, 14 invisible), 1053 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1411073 - 04/04/10 11:34 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: BruceD]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: BruceD
...it is disarmingly refreshing to read differing points of view and opinions on music and composers without rancor, invective or name-calling.

A very Happy Easter to all who who celebrate it!

Well I certainly celebrate Easter. (And I got paid nicely for that church service. wink )

I don't think there was a serious problem here. It was more of a learning experience. I was just frustrated by a performance which caused me to question Schubert's genius. This does happen: I've heard performances of Wagner operas which have disappointed me so much.

But think too, of the great Franz Liszt: hard to think of another composer who can be so sabotaged by inept performances.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1411076 - 04/04/10 11:39 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: Ferdinand]
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: Ferdinand
Originally Posted By: argerichfan
has to be Schubert's tiresome Impromptus, D899.

What is it with Schubert? He cannot do anything wrong? The first Impromptu chases its tail in a rather embarrassing manner

Originally Posted By: signa
Chopin minute waltz has to be among the most boring music, and every time i hear it, i want to run away...

It appears you two are suffering from the syndrome known as codafugaphobia. Help is available.

it's no cure, i think!

btw, i got bored learning Schubert Impromptu in Gb major before and never seemed to be able to finish it, and finally my teacher told me to drop it. but maybe it's not as boring as that minute waltz, i guess.

#1411127 - 04/05/10 01:36 AM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: argerichfan]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
My thanks to carey from Phoenix for suggesting more than a cursory study of the works of Schubert ... but as the grand old saying goes ... you can lead a horse to water but ...

Good to hear that fan made a lot of lolly doing his accompanying stint at the Easter service ... wonder if Schubert’s Ave Maria ascended the rafters?

PS Kind regards to Jim Webb for his "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" ... which has got nothing to do with the price of cheese ... sorry chaps.

#1411516 - 04/05/10 02:49 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: Andromaque]
fuzzy8balls Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
I thought the most boring music on the planet was compositions by Philip Glass

#1411531 - 04/05/10 03:12 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: fuzzy8balls]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: fuzzy8balls

Philip Glass gave a recital of (his?) piano music here this past Saturday. I don't know what he played because I didn't go. I wonder if I missed a stellar opportunity to hear one of the great composers of our time - or not?

Regards,

#1411539 - 04/05/10 03:18 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: BruceD]
fuzzy8balls Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Someone gave me a CD of his, needless to say it was very repetitious. It just didn't speak to me.

#1411729 - 04/05/10 07:36 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: fuzzy8balls]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area

LOL, that was the first thing I thought of when I read the title of this thread. The next thing was Yanni.

#1411755 - 04/05/10 08:19 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: Damon]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
I love a lot of Schubert: the late sonatas, the quintet, the piano trios. But my single favorite Schubert piece is the Gb impromptu. To each his own.

The Eb impromptu holds a specific, personal, intense symbolic meaning for me: It was in trying to play this piece, teeth gritted, arm tensed and determined to play it fast no matter what, that I injured my arm 10 years ago. One day, perhaps, with proper guidance, when I've re-developed my technique with supple, smooth control, I will learn it the right away.

-Jason
Schubert Immersion: Bb Impromptu; C# minor and Ab Moments Musicaux; accompanying four songs (Suleika II, Rastlose Liebe, Du Liebst Mich Nicht, Im Fruhling); listening intensely to Die Schöne Müllerin and Winterreise

Chopin: first Ballade; Mozart: D minor concerto;

#1411831 - 04/05/10 10:38 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: argerichfan]
DameMyra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Jersey
Originally Posted By: argerichfan
I started the thread after hearing a very boring performance of the Schubert (I fault the pianist more than anything else

Yes, Schubert's music requires definite musical skills to pull off since there is a lot of repetition. Schumann's music is very similar in this respect. There is nothing and I mean NOTHING in the world worse then sitting through an unimaginative performance of Kreisleriana. It is one of those pieces (as are many of the Schubert sonatas) that needs an inspired, absolutely first class interpretation. Anything less is just disastrous.

#1411850 - 04/05/10 11:10 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: Frozenicicles]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Originally Posted By: Frozenicicles
There's no accounting for taste. I don't think you can get more boring than 4'33", at any rate...unless you write a "4 hours and 33 minutes".

I quickly checked if someone had mentioned it because I wanted to mention it myself... ha It IS boring...

Music is my best friend.

#1411851 - 04/05/10 11:12 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: ChopinAddict]
lisztonian Offline

Boring = new age/minimalist

#1411866 - 04/05/10 11:39 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: lisztonian]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Cage just gave me an idea for a painting.... smile

Music is my best friend.

#1411878 - 04/05/10 11:52 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: ChopinAddict]
Frozenicicles Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Minimalist painting has been done. This beauty cost my government 1.8 million. crazy

#1411881 - 04/05/10 11:56 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: lisztonian]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: lisztonian
Boring = new age/minimalist

By no means does new age equate with minimalism ! smile

-Jason
Schubert Immersion: Bb Impromptu; C# minor and Ab Moments Musicaux; accompanying four songs (Suleika II, Rastlose Liebe, Du Liebst Mich Nicht, Im Fruhling); listening intensely to Die Schöne Müllerin and Winterreise

#1411883 - 04/05/10 11:58 PM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: Damon]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Damon
The next thing was Yanni.

The last time I heard any Yanni I fell asleep so quickly that I don't recall if it was boring or not.

#1411893 - 04/06/10 12:06 AM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: fuzzy8balls]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Well yes and no- though I basically understand where you're coming from. When I was a student I saw a performance of Satyagraha. I fully admit I wasn't expecting to like it, but somehow it worked. It had a cumulative affect on me which is hard to describe, though I don't know that it could have worked a second time for me.

What has worked for me, however, is Glass's soundtrack to Powaqqatsi. I cannot recommend this music highly enough, and if you think you will never like Glass, then please give this a try!

#1411910 - 04/06/10 12:28 AM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: fuzzy8balls]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
I thought the most boring music on the planet was compositions by Philip Glass ...Someone gave me a CD of his, needless to say it was very repetitious. It just didn't speak to me.
I bought a used CD of his because someone here at PW kept raving about him. It had some lovely moments but, as you say, it was very repetitious. He's off my list.

Schubert - I run hot and cold. I'm very fond of his 5th Symphony and you can't beat the Fantasie in F minor for 4 hands - very poignant. I love Impromptu #3 opus 90. Much of the rest: yawn.

Deborah

#1411932 - 04/06/10 01:08 AM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: gooddog]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
When I was in high school in the early 1960s, my folks gave me an Angel recording of Richter playing the Wanderer Fantasy and the A Major Sonata Opus 120. Absolutely beautiful performances of two great piano compositions. Almost 50 years later I still have that LP - and I've listened to it hundreds of times (scratches and all). Richter's interpretations of these works made an indelible impression on me...and inspired me to further pursue my piano studies in college. Ten years later I played the Fantasy myself in recital (a personal goal).

All of the great composers wrote occasional "clunkers" - but when they struck gold....WOW !!!

#1411935 - 04/06/10 01:14 AM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: gooddog]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Well I came to my present devotion to Schubert rather late (except for the Lieder - those I've always loved), within the last 15 years or so. But the string quintet? The late sonatas? Winterreise? Boring??? Very sad.

[edit to add:]carey - ah, that Richter recording of the Wanderer!!

#1411949 - 04/06/10 02:13 AM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: Frozenicicles]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Minimalist painting has been done. This beauty cost my government 1.8 million. crazy

I was thinking of a BLANK canvas.... Just kidding... But who knows, maybe this has really already been done too. Nothing surprises me more these days.... smile

Music is my best friend.

#1411964 - 04/06/10 02:50 AM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: ChopinAddict]
wr Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict

I was thinking of a BLANK canvas.... Just kidding... But who knows, maybe this has really already been done too. Nothing surprises me more these days.... smile

It was done long ago, in 1951, by Robert Rauschenberg. Rauschenberg's "White" paintings were a catalyst for Cage to write his famous piece.

Kyle Gann's new book on 4'33" came out just a couple of weeks ago, and it looks interesting.

#1411975 - 04/06/10 03:19 AM Re: The most BORING music on the planet...,. [Re: Frozenicicles]
Oz Marcus Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia

My government did the same thing about 30 years ago with this painting that cost $1 million dollars, and everyone thought they were crazy. The papers had a field day talking about the excess of the government and the national gallery. The painting in question was once called Blue Poles by a fellow named Jackson Pollock. As it turns out the piece is probably worth in excess of $60 million dollars, and it is a stunning piece, which I was fortunate enough to see again on the weekend. All in all, I think that your government could well have made a wise investment! smile

M
Chopin Prelude Op28 No 15, nocturne Op48 no 1
Bach Prelude & Fuge WTC II No 12 in F minor
Aspiring to Rautavaara - Piano Sonata 2 - Fire Sermon

#1414103 - 04/09/10 09:47 AM You want to hear something boring [Re: currawong]
Schuur Offline

AND disgusting? Try anything by Ornette Coleman. He makes my colon clench. And then twice over because he has actually sold albums without bothering to compose a melody!

#1414133 - 04/09/10 10:39 AM Re: You want to hear something boring [Re: Schuur]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Schuur
AND disgusting? Try anything by Ornette Coleman. He makes my colon clench. And then twice over because he has actually sold albums without bothering to compose a melody!

Now, now- tut tut! Coleman has been an extremely influential saxophonist, yet I'll be the first to admit that his music isn't for everyone. Sometimes I just don't 'get' where he's coming from, but if the time and mood are right... wow.

#1414390 - 04/09/10 06:09 PM Re: You want to hear something boring [Re: Schuur]
wr Offline
8000 Post Club Member

That's funny. And what does composing a melody have to do with anything, anyway?

I don't know much of Coleman's output, but a couple of videos of him on YouTube that I came across were so exciting and inspiring to me that I started thinking of trying to compose some music (classical, not jazz) that was directly influenced by what he and his band were doing.

#1414456 - 04/09/10 07:21 PM Re: You want to hear something boring [Re: wr]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wr
I don't know much of Coleman's output, but a couple of videos of him on YouTube that I came across were so exciting and inspiring to me that I started thinking of trying to compose some music (classical, not jazz) that was directly influenced by what he and his band were doing.

Oh, Ornette Coleman is fantastic. His album Song X (with Pat Metheny) was very influential to me.

One thing I've learned on this forum: someone saying "I really like X" is more useful, and carries more information, than someone saying "I really don't like X". It makes sense, because we usually know a lot more about what we like than what we don't like.

-Jason

#1414478 - 04/09/10 07:43 PM Re: You want to hear something boring [Re: Schuur]
Wizard of Oz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Man if you don't like Ornette, try Cecil Taylor. I shudder to think how your ears will react to that!

#1414568 - 04/09/10 10:45 PM Re: You want to hear something boring [Re: Oz Marcus]
Frozenicicles Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Oz Marcus
My government did the same thing about 30 years ago with this painting that cost $1 million dollars, and everyone thought they were crazy. The papers had a field day talking about the excess of the government and the national gallery. The painting in question was once called Blue Poles by a fellow named Jackson Pollock. As it turns out the piece is probably worth in excess of $60 million dollars, and it is a stunning piece, which I was fortunate enough to see again on the weekend. All in all, I think that your government could well have made a wise investment! smile

M

I googled that painting and it looks considerably more complicated than a huge red stripe. Well, maybe some artists can enlighten me. But IMO the only reason why our red stripe would ever appreciate would be the notoriety that it got from the amount of money we spent on it. There's even a book published about it.

The equivalent in musical terms would be charging everyone full price tickets to hear Murray Perahia, and then he sits down and plays 4'33" and leaves. No encore. Sure, it's a famous artist and all...but it's still just a red stripe. laugh

#1414570 - 04/09/10 10:54 PM Re: You want to hear something boring [Re: Frozenicicles]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there

The equivalent in musical terms would be charging everyone full price tickets to hear Murray Perahia, and then he sits down and plays 4'33" and leaves. No encore. Sure, it's a famous artist and all...but it's still just a red stripe. laugh

Fortunately, that will never happen and not just because it's a bit far-fetched, but because Perahia doesn't/won't play anything much more "contemporary" than Bartok.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1414587 - 04/09/10 11:27 PM Re: You want to hear something boring [Re: stores]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores

Fortunately, that will never happen and not just because it's a bit far-fetched, but because Perahia doesn't/won't play anything much more "contemporary" than Bartok.

I have met Mr. Perahia (he looks quite different than his album covers- he could use a bit of a fashion make-over) and he struck me as a very humble, honest man. He simply plays music which he finds most congenial and conducive to his immense talent. (A CD some years back of Franck and Liszt suggested that he was experimenting. It wasn't a great CD, IMO.)

Fortunately there are pianists who are more adventurous, and we are all the more richer for that.

Do you remember when some contemporary composer (and I think she was female!) got all bent out of shape when Horowitz had the nerve to programme a Clementi sonata? She wondered why Horowitz was ignoring the music of the present, something along those lines. Horowitz most likely ignored the assault. He knew what he could 'rewrite' best! laugh

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Define "atmospheric" in piano music
by Pianolism
12/20/14 06:18 AM
1 Hour 2-5-1 Jazz Workout Backing Track - Slow to Fast Swing
by Nahum
12/20/14 05:36 AM
Jools Holland wow
by Shey
12/20/14 05:23 AM
How to determine felt thickness without specifications?
by JoeThePro
12/20/14 01:09 AM
Trill technique question
by pianolearnerstride
12/19/14 10:19 PM
Forum Stats
77362 Members
42 Forums
160008 Topics
2349721 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission