2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 11 invisible), 1,713 guests, and 335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
L
Is schubert really that bad? lol I have never played any of his works so I wouldn't know but from the sounds of it, he's not all that great like Mozart, Chopin, Beethoven etc :P

I am currently uploading all of my written piano sheets onto my blog to make things easier. I also have written out a few more sheets. All free check it out if you want smile Any questions, PM me

http://myuniquepianomusic.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/paws1528
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
No, I don't find him as great as Beethoven or Chopin. But he's still a great composer, and very important.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Sadly, I'm not familiar with a whole lot of Schubert's music. What I have listened to I like, but nothing that really stands out to me (solo piano, that is), except the G flat Impromptu. smile I don't get tired of that piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHE0Ibz19YI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f9Hq34L8Ag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZm3JbzFzrQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Ak7Tk9B3s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKwRiSEiebA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du07TuqTL-8

V
V

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by Frozenicicles
There's no accounting for taste. I don't think you can get more boring than 4'33", at any rate...unless you write a "4 hours and 33 minutes".

I got my biggest ovation ever for that piece.
Which of course isn't saying much. smile

You should have learned Op. 90 No. 4. Bet you could win a competition with that! laugh

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thank you.. I hate Schubert.. Let the bashing begin. (Or not.. you won't win)

Except Arpeggione - love that piece! And very rarely some songs. And I feel I can say that because I've played tons of Schubert when I was young and I won a Schubert competition in Europe many years ago.. hahhahah.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Just speaking personally, I don't really see much point in trashing music which so many people (including me) hold so dear. Just ignore it if you don't like it, and start a thread about Liszt, Wagner or Elgar instead.

Du holde Kunst...
Originally Posted by Damon
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by Frozenicicles
....4'33.....

I got my biggest ovation ever for that piece.
Which of course isn't saying much. smile

You should have learned Op. 90 No. 4. Bet you could win a competition with that! laugh

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

grin Nice job.......I love in-jokes. thumb

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by currawong
Just speaking personally, I don't really see much point in trashing music which so many people (including me) hold so dear. Just ignore it if you don't like it, and start a thread about Liszt, Wagner or Elgar instead.

So, it's ok to trash Liszt, Wagner, or Elgar? Just curious.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by stores
So, it's ok to trash Liszt, Wagner, or Elgar? Just curious.
I wasn't suggesting anyone trash Liszt, Wagner or Elgar. I was suggesting argerichfan start a thread about music he actually likes, and those three composers would be sure to appear in such a thread.

Du holde Kunst...
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
By the way, argerichfan, ladypayne was talking about the Mozart twinkle variations, not the Schubert Trockne Blumen ones.

Du holde Kunst...
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Taking a grain of salt with argerichfan's hyperbolic "most BORING music on the planet," I just can't go that far with respect to these pieces. I've played all four the of D899 Impromptus and not only have I enjoyed performing three of them, I often return to them and play them for pleasure. They have their repetitious moments, granted, but the better, lyrical, truly Schubertian moments in them make them worth while pieces, in my opinion.

Of course, it's good that we all don't like the same things, and while I agree these are not the greatest of Schubert's output, they don't bore me - except, perhaps, when not well played by someone else! smile

In that respect, Jason may be right; they don't stand up to mediocre performances!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
May I commit another sacrilege (or pehaps, 2 or 3? smile )? I found the sequence of 3 minuets from Bach's Overture in G Minor - BWV 822 quite boring, I refuse to learn them when my teacher asked me to do so... The third I liked, but the other 2, particularly the 2nd, are annoying, and the 3 together is torture. But Bach I love, perhaps this is just temporary "bad taste" of mine.

Someone have opened a thread about Sorabji's fugues. The first I've listened sounds like a computer algorithm. I'm sorry to say but this is not music at all.

http://www.davetubaking.com/resources/Fuga+A+Quattro+Soggetti+-+Dux+alter.mp3

B
BDB Offline
B
There is too much good music to concern oneself about music you do not like.

Semipro Tech
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Jason, how a propos! I have just come back from an evening of the most boring "piano music" ever invented. It was one of those social obligations that I had to show up for (long story). The evening turned into an opportunity for an intimate study of the intricate details of persian rug designs. Staring at the rug was all I could do to avoid turning insane. The "man of the house" sat at the piano six minutes after greeting us into his home and started ripping into "atmospheric music" pieces. A slurry of overpedaled musical slurpees come to mind. It made me yearn for physical torture as a way out. Wifey was bringing him his wine glass to sip from while he tore into the Steinway. And no he was not improvising new agedly. Somebody apparently wrote the crappy stuff. Syrupy Schubert impromptus would sound fabulously invigorating in comparison. I know that is not what you have in mind when you talk about "music", boring or not, but you gave me an opportunity to vent! The only good thing about it is the feeling that I have now paid penance for all my digressions past and future, and I am ready for Easter morning..

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Schubert wrote a lot of music which is demonstrably superior... I just don't think the D899 represents him as his best. Comments?
Agreed.

The C minor does have a few lovely moments, but is so long-winded. The Eb is semi-charming but disposable. You summed up the G-flat perfectly. The Ab, nice, but I've had better.

-Daniel

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by argerichfan
has to be Schubert's tiresome Impromptus, D899.

What is it with Schubert? He cannot do anything wrong? The first Impromptu chases its tail in a rather embarrassing manner, the second Impromptu is a funny attempt at an etude, the third Impromptu tries so hard to be sublime, and the forth tries to be unique -we're experimenting with Ab minor- but ultimately it's tiresomely predictable.

Schubert wrote a lot of music which is demonstrably superior... I just don't think the D899 represents him as his best. Comments?

So you aren't really bashing Schubert - just these four Impromptus.

With the exception of the G-flat Major (which I think IS a sublime work when played well) I agree that the others can wear a little thin due to overexposure - and I agree that Schubert wrote other works for solo piano which are more innovative and interesting (Wanderer Fantasy, the sonatas, Impromptus and Moments Musicals, etc.) not to mention his lieder, symphonies, choral works, chamber music, etc.

I strongly disagree with those posters who state that Schubert is a "lesser" composer than Mozart, Beethoven or Chopin. His work occupies a unique niche in music history, is distinctly his own from a stylistic standpoint, and still moves us deeply today. Such an amazing output for someone who died so young.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Interesting aside fan (re: Schubert),

Whenever I find myself at a loss as to the piece of distantly Beethoven music heard over the radio ... it’s always by Schubert ... a sort of watered-down LB ... besides getting certain keyboard works of his under the fingers such as Hark, Hark the Lark, The Trout and one of his Impromptus ... I find myself having difficulty wanting to delve deeper.

The Unfinished Symphony however, is another ball of chalk.

PS Interestingly, in the adjacent thread on Styles, nobody has as yet made mention of Schubert (instantly recognizable style) ... however, he finds himself in the good company of Handel, Mendelssohn and Haydn ... with no takers.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by BDB
There is too much good music to concern oneself about music you do not like.

True, unless you are interested in understanding more about why you don't like it. And trying to understand what it is about it that someone else does like (because if no one at all liked it, chances are you wouldn't know about it and wouldn't be given the opportunity to hear it).

Once in a while, I've found that to be a useful and ear-opening exercise. There's sure a lot more music I do like today, than there would be if I had never challenged myself to get past my initial dislike. I think that's a good thing.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Agree with wr. It is particularly so, for me, in the case of contemporary classical music. I have recently experienced this ear- (and mind) opening exercise when I listened to some compositions by Thomas Ades.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission