Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1417240 - 04/14/10 03:59 PM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: Norbert]
Rich Galassini Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
I absolutely agree, Norbert. Thank you. smile
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1560971 - 11/19/10 09:05 PM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: Norbert]
Coreyp Offline

Loc: Utah
So any word on the new Estonia grand?

I found this:
Estonia 225 with President of Estonia

Edited by Coreyp (11/19/10 09:29 PM)

#1561005 - 11/19/10 10:27 PM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: Strings & Wood]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Strings & Wood
Originally Posted By: Mark...
My wife's is going to kill me if I trade up... smile

I was going to say you only live once, but that somehow seems inappropriate. Instead, I will advise to make sure affairs are in order before playing one. I am expecting the 225 to be really good!

Bump smile

Schimmel K213 NWS

#1561030 - 11/19/10 11:47 PM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: Strings & Wood]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
My wife's is going to kill me if I trade up... smile

I was going to say you only live once, but that somehow seems inappropriate. Instead, I will advise to make sure affairs are in order before playing one. I am expecting the 225 to be really good!

Bump smile

I'm waiting too...but my 190 has been such a problem I'm probably going in another direction.

#1561072 - 11/20/10 02:36 AM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: Coreyp]
schwammerl Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Belgium
Most presumably it will be officially presented at the 2011 NAMM, so January 2011.

schwammerl.

#1561159 - 11/20/10 09:30 AM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: Mark...]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

I'm waiting too...but my 190 has been such a problem I'm probably going in another direction.

Your 190 has been a problem? Was it bought new?

#1561162 - 11/20/10 09:43 AM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: jazzyprof]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jazzyprof

Yes, most of the strings were replaced because there were kinks in them, but it still sounds poor. It has/had other issues as well. It's just a lemon. When time and money permit I hope to get another piano.

#1561183 - 11/20/10 10:11 AM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: Mark...]
Strings & Wood Offline

Yes, most of the strings were replaced because there were kinks in them, but it still sounds poor. It has/had other issues as well. It's just a lemon. When time and money permit I hope to get another piano.

Will your dealer allow you full value on your 190 to trade up?

Schimmel K213 NWS

#1561184 - 11/20/10 10:20 AM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: Strings & Wood]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Will your dealer allow you full value on your 190 to trade up?

Not sure, I'm probably going to another dealer anyway.

#1561206 - 11/20/10 11:04 AM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: Mark...]
Coreyp Offline

Wow, definitely a lemon! Sorry to hear that- I would be hesitant to get another Estonia, too if I had problems with one like that, and I would have complained loudly to the dealer who sold it to me. However, I bet you won't have problems like that if you were to try it again. It's unfortunate that I see that your posts are usually very negative about your Estonia, when the majority of posts on the brand (for the last ten years of production) are extremely positive.

#1561215 - 11/20/10 11:19 AM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: Coreyp]
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
Originally Posted By: Coreyp
It's unfortunate that I see that your posts are usually very negative about your Estonia, when the majority of posts on the brand (for the last ten years of production) are extremely positive.

I'd imagine Mark thinks it's a lot more "unfortunate" than you do given that it's his piano that's the lemon.

#1561218 - 11/20/10 11:28 AM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: Mark...]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Yes, most of the strings were replaced because there were kinks in them, but it still sounds poor. It has/had other issues as well. It's just a lemon.

Wow, that really sucks! Did you try to get the dealer to replace the piano with another?

#1561220 - 11/20/10 11:32 AM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: BB Player]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Originally Posted By: BB Player
It's unfortunate that I see that your posts are usually very negative about your Estonia, when the majority of posts on the brand (for the last ten years of production) are extremely positive.

I'd imagine Mark thinks it's a lot more "unfortunate" than you do given that it's his piano that's the lemon.

I experienced a sour string on my 190. Replacing it made all the difference and while the action needs regulation (it's 5 years old and feels a bit heavy) I do enjoy playing it. I've played some newer 190s which felt lighter and quicker and sounded as good or better.

Be that as it may if I'd had many strings on my Estonia that were sour it would have driven me crazy. Given that the cliche says, "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me," I can quite understand if he's a bit gun shy (at least as regards the Estonia brand).

Having said all that I'm really looking forward to hearing the 7' Estonia, but I'm not sure I'll ever have the opportunity.

#1561223 - 11/20/10 11:40 AM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: jazzyprof]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Yes, most of the strings were replaced because there were kinks in them, but it still sounds poor. It has/had other issues as well. It's just a lemon.

Wow, that really sucks! Did you try to get the dealer to replace the piano with another?

Intially he did, but my tech and the dealer agreed that the L190s he had at the dealership all had some similar issues with metallic overtones. So we decided to go the string replacement route. A guy in Utah had it done for the same problem and was happy. Mine didn't work as well.

I'm to the point where I just live with beast and deal with it, but look forward when time and money will allow me to get something else. I might have to wait till I retire in about ten years. And although I'm quite the piano hack, I do practice about 2 hours a day, everyday on it.

I just finished the online recital here, and many noticed the problems with my freshly tuned piano.

#1561228 - 11/20/10 11:52 AM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: Norbert]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Steve Chandler
I experienced a sour string on my 190. Replacing it made all the difference and while the action needs regulation (it's 5 years old and feels a bit heavy) I do enjoy playing it. I've played some newer 190s which felt lighter and quicker and sounded as good or better.

You’d be surprised what a little Protek CLP lubricant on the flanges, powdered Teflon on the shank knuckles, and polishing the tops of the brass cap-stands will do for your action. Next time your tech comes to tune it, ask her/him about it.

I remember reading about a couple of PW members having some problems with their Estonia grand pianos. It’s unfortunate that anyone would get a lemon in any high-end piano, but I suppose it does happen. My thinking is that when you pay a lot of money for a high-end piano, you want it to be perfect, or at least as close to perfect as you can get. You would think they'd be superior in quality to lesser expensive pianos. Maybe my way of thinking is all wrong.

Rick

#1561230 - 11/20/10 11:57 AM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: Mark...]
Fun Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
I just finished the online recital here, and many noticed the problems with my freshly tuned piano.

Mark, is there a web link where we can hear your recital? I'm curious about the problem you have. Thanks!

#1561232 - 11/20/10 12:02 PM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: Norbert]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
I just listened to the piano and can assure it doesn't sound like any Estonia we ever had.

Mark: I pmed you and will do some investigations for you. I was one of the first Estonia dealer and we never had a piano with this type sound.

Sending this recording to cheers things up a bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6pJuktelZE

Norbert

Edited by Norbert (11/20/10 12:04 PM)

#1561236 - 11/20/10 12:18 PM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: Mark...]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Wow, Mark I just listened to your recording and it was clear there was something funny with the bass on the piano. Perhaps you should contact Indrek Laul and send him this video. I don't think he'd want that sound to be representative of a new Estonia.

#1561237 - 11/20/10 12:23 PM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: Norbert]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Here- On the Adult Beginner's Forum recital 20

Recital 20

Mark . . . is number 39 on page 2. His particular Estonia does not sound anything like an Estonia should.

Edited by TX-Dennis (11/20/10 12:26 PM)

flickr

#1561248 - 11/20/10 12:56 PM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: Norbert]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Wow, Mark I just listened to your recording and it was clear there was something funny with the bass on the piano. Perhaps you should contact Indrek Laul and send him this video. I don't think he'd want that sound to be representative of a new Estonia.

ditto +1

A little out of tune, but definately an unusual twang. Playing was nice though.

Rick

#1561266 - 11/20/10 01:36 PM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: Norbert]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Mark,
that is very odd sounding! I can understand why you are unhappy.

Sophia

#1561271 - 11/20/10 01:44 PM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: Rickster]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Rickster

ditto +1

A little out of tune, but definately an unusual twang. Playing was nice though.

Rick

It was tuned just a few days prior, but I trust your judgment, I can hear off sounds but generally oblivious to off tuning.

#1561286 - 11/20/10 02:23 PM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: Norbert]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
There seems to be several things going on here.
The tech should definitely have looked at all factors involving seating of strings, hammers, hammer line up,regulation, etc

It may be a day's job but can be done.

I can't believe that this piano can't be brought up to snuff by someone who knows his stuff.

I've seen same or even worse with some of world's finest. One sorry case recently involving one of world's most admired...

This IMHO is a totally doable job. But you need the right person to do it. Too bad you're so far from us, know a guy who would be able to handle this.

Ever thought of bringing in a top tech from outside?

Norbert

Edited by Norbert (11/20/10 02:26 PM)

#1561290 - 11/20/10 02:35 PM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: Norbert]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Norbert

Ever thought of bringing in a top tech from outside?

Norbert

My tech has over 30 years experience as a tuner and a re-builder. He's worked on the E Street bands concert piano when they were on tour in the north east. He even restrung their concert piano. He seems very competent. He noticed the piano was a problem right away when I first got it. He was hoping that a few tuning would clear up the new strings, but its been about 16 months and 3-4 tuning later.

I guess that's an option I might have to pursue.

#1561291 - 11/20/10 02:37 PM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: Norbert]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I think my problem has taken us way off topic, since it's really about the new Estonia 7 footer.

So any ideas of the cost for a Estonia 7 footer?

#1561295 - 11/20/10 02:57 PM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: Mark...]
Strings & Wood Offline

I think my problem has taken us way off topic, since it's really about the new Estonia 7 footer.

So any ideas of the cost for a Estonia 7 footer?

Well I think the 7' 4" has great potential and probably worth a look. But given your past relationship with your 190 I can certainly understand your hesitation.

Quote:
I just listened to the piano and can assure it doesn't sound like any Estonia we ever had.

Mark: I pmed you and will do some investigations for you. I was one of the first Estonia dealer and we never had a piano with this type sound.

Sending this recording to cheers things up a bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6pJuktelZE

Norbert

Norbert, I think that would be great. Mark deserves a better fate than this. The piano has a fundamentally different sound than any Estonia I have listened to.

Schimmel K213 NWS

#1561455 - 11/20/10 09:33 PM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: BB Player]
Coreyp Offline

Originally Posted By: BB Player

I never meant any bad feelings here.

Wow, I listened to Mark's recital and that is NOT how our Estonia sounds at all! Yeah, I have empathy for Mark's situation.

#1615754 - 02/08/11 11:14 PM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: Coreyp]
learning Offline

Don't know if this thread is still alive.
Did the 7'4 Estonia arrive in the NYC area? I would love to try one. I have a 190 and I find the F2 area slightly unsatisfying. The rest is superb.

#1615835 - 02/09/11 02:06 AM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: learning]
schwammerl Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Belgium
leraning,

I guess the 7'4" has not arrived anywhere at any dealer's showroom yet as I have not seen it announced on any Estonia dealer website in the world.

There is even not a trace of it on the official Estonia Pianos website: it is not yet in the model list and there in no trace of it neither in the news section (press releases) or 'Estonia in the World' section!

The new 225 was presented at the NAMM 2011 in January yes but as long as the first species that were ordered are not shipped out to dealers, for me it is not officially launched as not readily available. The first to leave the factory must still be somewhere in the production process, hopefully for those waiting for one, close to the end stage of it.

Rest assured that the first Estonia dealer participating here who gets one delivered will not be too shy announcing it on the forum.

schwammerl.

#1622566 - 02/18/11 12:17 AM Re: New Estonia 7'4 grand [Re: schwammerl]
PianoWorksATL Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I made this video for those who are interested. I recommend headphones for full effect.

Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
151 registered (accordeur, ando, antony, Akshay, 36251, 47 invisible), 1695 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74217 Members
42 Forums
153529 Topics
2249943 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Why 88 keys?
by gsmonks
Today at 03:01 PM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
Today at 01:38 PM
Installing plain wire: no twists involved
by A443
Today at 01:12 PM
Disney - Mulan - Reflection (arr. by K. Landry)
by Gi Dy
Today at 12:32 PM
A good introduction to history of French classical music?
by BWV 846
Today at 10:50 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission