2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, Colin Miles, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
So, it's 5:49 in the morning right now in Southern California, and what am I doing? I just got off the keyboards after quite a few hours "in the zone"... I stopped playing through Chopin's "Butterfly" Etude, look around, and lo and behold, the sun is poking out from the horizon, outside of my bedroom window.

I figured I would read a bit from the Hanon exercises I bought yesterday, then I got around to sight reading and memorizing two Scott Joplin rags, cleaned up some of my other pieces. It's amazing what can be done at night, when you're not tired at all for some reason.

And so, my reward is... a day at Disneyland [kinda] with my girlfriend and her family... Amazingly, I feel like I won't be needing any coffee :]

Anyone have any "in the zone" or marathon practicing stories?

Fall 2012 Rep:
Polonaise Op. 53 - Chopin
Ballade Op. 47 - Chopin
Piano Sonata K.333 - Mozart
WTC Prelude and Fugue in D Major, Bk 1 - Bach
Winnsboro Cotton Mill Blues - Rzewski
Piano Concerto No. 1 - Liszt
Sonatas and Interludes for Prepared Piano - Cage
I do that too, although I don't think I've stayed up quite as late/early as 5:49am! Haha yikes...

I am a night owl, always have been. When I was in school, I always got all my work done through the night. Now that I've gotten back into playing the piano, I sometimes start practicing at 11 or 12 at night and end up working on it until sometimes 2 or 3am.

All I can say is, thank goodness for the awesome headphones I have or I wouldn't be able to do marathon runs like that in the middle of the night. I'd probably drive everyone in my house crazy with Chopin music!

My Piano Website - FREE Piano Sheet Music!!!
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I practiced for 11 hours once... before a recital... I know it sounds bad BUT - I didn't hurt myself at all AND I didn't notice the time flying, plus that was pretty much my only time to practice for that recital...

I love it when you don't notice the hours flying.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
T
T
Originally Posted by AngelinaPogorelich
I practiced for 11 hours once... before a recital... I know it sounds bad BUT - I didn't hurt myself at all AND I didn't notice the time flying, plus that was pretty much my only time to practice for that recital...

I love it when you don't notice the hours flying.

I notice your current repertoire AngelinaPogorelich. How is your Brahms op118 no.2 going? I am also playing that piece for my exam next week and was wondering if you had any little pointers you could give out for it?

Uggh. I wish I could play so early (or so late.)

Everyone else in the household probably wouldn't like it very much. haha. Maybe it's time to get a digital piano for the those late night practice sessions.

Conservatory of Music @ Brooklyn College
Piano Performance, Class of 2014
M
M
My dad once offered to pay for my music of Peter de Rose's "Deep Purple" if I memorized it. I had one year's worth of lessons at the time I found it, so reading it was all but impossible, but I made it my goal to finish it by the end of the weekend.

23 hours later, my eyes burned, my head pounded, my fingers throbbed, but I played it, start to finish, no errors, no sheet music.

My reward? $3.79 plus tax.

And a lifetime of Deep Purple.

M
M
When I first got the music for 'Dr Gradus Ad Parnassum' by Debussy I practiced only it for about 6ish hours straight haha. I had been listening to it and it amazed me so when I finally got the sheet music for it i was just so excited i just played it and played it. I still play it every day. Its awesome!

Last edited by Mr Linus; 04/13/10 06:50 AM.

Music is what feelings sound like.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission