2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
fe2008 Offline OP
OP Offline
It seems this system is the best option in a budget for improving the sound of a digital piano.
Although its small size it got incredible 2x 40W (RMS) satellites and a powerful 8" 120W (RMS) subwoofer.
I know there are owners of this sound system here so I'd like to hear from you how good this system performs plugged in a digital piano? Did you find a good difference between it and the original internal speakers?
Does it make you "feel" you're playing an acoustic or at least improve your overall experience?

Thanks

Roland FP7F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Actually, the Logitech Z-2300 is better than the sound systems in most digital pianos, including the high end ones.

I use such a system on my Yamaha P-85 and it sounds better than digital pianos costing three times as much.

The satellites are best mounted on the wall...I have mine on shelves, on either side...they should be mounted slightly below the top of the piano, since they are angled.

I believe there are a few others on this forum using the system...I do know of several on the Yamaha forums...we'll give someone else a turn to tell you about the system....I highly recommend it.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
fe2008 Offline OP
OP Offline
what the url of Yamaha forums?

Roland FP7F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You can try PSR Tutorial here:

http://psrtutorial.com/index.html

Click on the FORUM at the top of the page...it is free to join.

You can also check here:

http://www.yamahapkowner.com/forum/index.php

It is also free to join.

I believe there were some posters on the Logitech website/forum, that mentioned using the Z-2300 on a keyboard or piano....just Google Logitech.

I also use a set on my Yamaha PSR-S910 arranger/workstation...it sounds awesome.

Good luck,

Snazzy

fe2008 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the links.
How does this system compare with an acoustic piano?

Roland FP7F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well. I'd say it's pretty darn loud...at least as loud as a big grand...the system adds great bottom end to any digital piano...most of them don't have very good speaker systems...the satellites aren't too shrill...they seem to handle mid range very well, and the sub woofer really lets the low notes breathe.

I believe Logitech has a great return policy, so you could always take them back, but I don't think you will have to, or want to.

Snazzy

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Snazzy -

How would you compare these speakers to monitors, such as the Behringer Truth B2031a?

Lawrence

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Lawrence,

I haven't tried the Behringer's, which have a freq response of 50 Hz to 21 khz, where as the Logitech go all the way down to 35 Hz...so the bottom is pretty substantial...although some would say that 50 Hz would be okay for a digital piano's low notes, having compared them to KRK Rokit RP5G2s speakers at Zeke's (53Hz to 20kHz) I have to say I preferred the Logitech...the KRK really didn't give the broadness of tone, and didn't bring out that metallic "clank" of a grand's lowest strings...mind you they were good, but the Z-2300's had more testicular fortitude...if you get my drift. wink

They sound great on my arranger as well, and I forgot to mention, I have a third set hooked up to my Playstation 2 for reproducing my Gran Turismo 4 video game's sounds....they have oomph in spades.

Well worth the under $200 price, and very well constructed, and although the satellites are quite lightweight, they are of excellent quality...the sub is huge, and the lows are fat yet tight...the upright bass sound on my PSR sounds as real as it gets.

I can't recommend them highly enough for a great home sound system for a digital piano....you could actually do smaller venues with them.

Now, I'm off to the sack...still no reply from Colleen.

Pete

B
B
Thanks for tip. I currently have a Roland HP203 that includes 30W speakers if I remeber correctly, but still I'm not quite happy with the speakers.

I used to have a CASIO CDP100 and I tried to connect my relative cheap Logitech PC speakers at the time to get a more powerfull sound, but it also made the sound more digital/flat compared to the onboard speakers. I guess this has to do with frequency range? Basically I enjoyed the sound more from the internal CASIO speakers. So if I understand correctly the frequency range in the Z-2300 is on par compared to internal piano speakers? I have no idea of the frequency range of my HP203 internal speakers or the typical range for piano speakers?

On my Roland I also have an output connection compared to the CASIO where I had to use the headphone output. I think my Roland put's the piano in headphones "mode" when you connect to that one, so using the stereo output would be the way to go? I see that the Z-2300 is not very expensive either so might be worth it.

J
J
I bought the Z-2300 set upon reading about it on these forums. It really does sound great. I use it to play back my virtual Steinway (Garritan) and also my CLP-380's sound. The bass is so much better than the clavinova's speakers, and the upper-mid range is much clearer to me.

I got mine from newegg. They have free shipping on them now, and $15 off with this promo code: EMCYRYT44

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121122

fe2008 Offline OP
OP Offline
if you're saying that it was a good improvement upon your 380 I can't wait to have it plugged in my 330. smile
To me the weakness is on the mid range of the keyboard. It sounds too "dead".

Last edited by fe2008; 04/08/10 01:51 PM.

Roland FP7F
C
C
I have a Logitech Z-5500 Digital, which might be a bit overkill, since it's 5.1, but the bass / sound is absolutely amazing. I had these speakers for over 6 years now and I never regreted buying them! The subwoofer is veeery powerful, yet precise.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I don't have a digital, but I use the Z-2300 on my work computer, and I was so impressed by the sound quality that I bought a system for my husband's office computer. Great playback quality on piano music. Best value for the money for computer speakers, imo.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
In tnis video review of the Z-2300 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNx2i5o8DBw ) he mentions that some have commented on a lack of "low midrange" response. (although he himself doesn't seem to have an issue) This is something I noticed with a similar system from Altec Lansing. For example, a piece such as LRB's "Reminiscing", that has a prominent and warm sounding electric piano, sounded thin on the Altecs. I ended up ditching the Altecs and getting much larger bookshelf speakers, and a seperate subwoofer. I didn't attempt to use any EQ to solve my issue with the Altecs. (also, I haven't tried the Z-2300s for myself)

Greg.

Last edited by sullivang; 04/08/10 05:09 PM.
J
J
I know Snazzy and others like the Logitech system, but I'm wondering how that would compare to running EP sound through a home stereo system.

I have an old receiver and some bookshelf speakers I could put to use. Alternatively I could route the signal through my home theater system.

Yes, the sound would be coming from somewhere else unless I move speakers around, but what are the other pros and cons?

(My apologies if this is something covered before; I suspect it is.)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
For you, the listener, it has been suggested to mount the speakers facing the player, and, in the case of the Logitech Z-2300, a little lower than the front of the piano, to also allow for the tilt in the speakers.

I mounted mine just in about two inches from the ends of the piano...the sub goes on the floor, on the left, in my case.

Bookshelf speakers? If they go down to at least 50 Hz, (you could Google them for the specs, if you don't have them) and the lows would be pretty good, but I like having the sub, and the bass going down to 35 Hz.

No harm in trying the old receiver...it might work for you. What kind of piano do you have?

Snazzy

J
J
Still shopping, actually, and planning ahead. I have an old acoustic but am looking at Yamahas -- either a P155 or maybe one of the new stage pianos. Unfortunately there are no stores nearby that carry high-end Yamahas. I tried the 635 but didn't like it a whole lot.

fe2008 Offline OP
OP Offline
What do you prefer/give the best playing experience: listen to your piano using your headphojnes or through the logitech z-2300?

Roland FP7F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Speakers will make a big difference...my little old P-85 sounds pretty darn good through the Logitech...the bottom notes sound like a big old grand (one that's in tune, of course). wink

I also found they had warmth as well...not brittle sounding at all....mids are very good.

The P-155 is a nice piano.

The CP-50 will be out soon...maybe have a look at that one?

Snazzy

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I got em.

I think they're cheaper than "studio monitor" type speakers.
However, they'll color the sound a little compared to studio monitors' "flat" response. (For mixing or whatever)
(or at least so i've heard on this forum)

But if you just wanna hear the dang piano, and especially if you're playing for others in the (not too huge) room, they're pretty nice.

My cp33 has no internal speakers so i can't compare.

http://PianoCheetah.app - my weird piano practice program
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission