2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
L
Does the HP-307 come with supernatural piano standard? Or do you have to get a separate card (like you would in the rd700gx)?

J
J
Hi,

Yes, the HP-307 comes with the 'supernatural' sound, so you wouldn't have to buy anything extra.

By the way, take a look at the following website and you'll see that it indicates that a number of other products also have 'supernatural', so it is already extending beyond the HP line (e.g. DP-990F, etc...).

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productlist.php?ParentId=40

Roland HP-307
Roland Quad-Capture

https://vimeo.com/58278342
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Just curious whether it is always noticable/audible that the V-Piano is fully modelled vs. the HP307 which is at least partly based on sampling. Or does this only mean that the V-Piano has more flexibility in sound sculpting? Are there any insights available that explain the technical differences in Supernatural implementation?

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
J
J
The v-piano provides additional configuration options for 'sound' compared to the "Piano Designer" in the HP-307 (I don't think the HP-305 or HP-301 provide access to Piano Designer).

I don't have any first-hand experience with v-piano, though. Maybe someone else can answer your specific question.

Roland HP-307
Roland Quad-Capture

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Having played both the V-Piano and the HP-307, I must say the latter sounded better to me...especially the mid-range notes...still a little thin, but BIG improvement.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I agree with Snazzy...

I've owned a V-Piano and now a Roland HP-307 and a Supernatural equipped RD-700GX. For what it's worth I marginally prefer the 307 to the RD.

The V-Piano has a phenomenal range of parameters to adjust and is a fantastically dynamic, expressive piano. However, the sound is rather processed sounding and synthetic in the mid-range. They have updated it and the update was an improvement (they added four new patches) but the basic tonal character of the thing did not really change.

I think Supernatural is effectively samples but with some modelled elements. I think the point is that the modelling is there to amend the BEHAVIOUR of the piano, not its SOUND if that makes sense. So it promises (and delivers) no audible looping or velocity layers. I assume they have some different sort of sample selection/playback technology. It is very effective.

However, the tonal character is identifiably Roland...not at all like the V-Piano to my ears, but Roland nonetheless and it is the basic tonal character of any piano that is the key to whether you like it or not.

I think the ideal product would be something using V-Piano technology (ie, pure modelling) but with a more organic sounding timbre.

Cheers,

Steve

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EssBrace

owever, the tonal character is identifiably Roland...not at all like the V-Piano to my ears, but Roland nonetheless and it is the basic tonal character of any piano that is the key to whether you like it or not.

Well said, Steve, and that "tonal character" that we each look for in a digital, could be result of many things, from the pianos we grew up listening to on recordings, to the one we learned to play on, to the quality we dream of having.

I wish I could graft the HP-307 sound on to the CP-series warm CF, and have it all as simple to use, portable, and as inexpensive as a Yamaha P-155.

Of course, they way things are moving so fast these past years, with the introduction first, of sample playing, then physical modeling, and now, the various hybrids of both, we are seeing a new breed of instruments that already make using software pianos unnecessary, or at least much less an option.

The Avant Grand is exploring even more new ideas.

Already the HP-307, CP-1/5 are becoming the standards other pianos from Kawai and Korg are being measured against, and it won't be long before they catch up, and maybe even surpass the aforementioned instruments.

Certainly it will be a buyer's paradise, and all this competition is only benefiting the players, both newbies and pros.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
L
L
After installing the supernatural piano kit expansion board on a rd700gx, would it would very similar to a Roland HP-307?
Unfortunately i can't try out either since no one around me carries the HP-307 or a rd700gx with the expansion card installed.
The HP 307 default piano tone sounds very good ( i personally don't like the expressive grand on the rd700gx all that much....Grand RD is better in my opinion)

J
J
I think you'll find some very useful information at the website below, with several hands-on reviews of the SN expansion card:

http://forums.rolandclan.com/?action=show_all&fid=34

Roland HP-307
Roland Quad-Capture

L
L
WOW thanks!

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
losthorizon777 -

I don't much like the expressive grand on the RD either. When the SN upgrade is installed on the RD, Grand Piano 1 fires up...and it is a SN Expressive Grand...not my cup of tea. However, SN Grand Piano 2 and 4 are in my opinion SN Superior Grands that also feature much enhanced bass performance. These are very similar to the HP-307 Grand voices. All 307 voices are very similar, ie have the same tonal signature. I like the 307 voices and I like the RD SN Grand Piano 4 too.

With all of these voices (on RD and 307) I adjust key touch offset to somewhere between medium and heavy as this reduces the tendency for the upper mids to produce a harsher metallic twang at velocities that are a little too low.

If you like the Grand RD (which is the same basic sample as Mellow Piano and 600 Grand) then you are basically hearing the mighty old RD-600 piano voice. A pleasure to play but not at all the last word in realism. This basic voice has not been Supernatural'd.

Cheers,

Steve

Id be happy to do it although ive no Idea what a DPBSD is

I have a new HPI 7F with what you need.

If its easy i,ll do it. smile

I know how to record etc guide me

Looking for Multi Millionaire who wants to adopt a family, Me ( It Consultant ) Wife ( Athletics Coach Running ) 3 children, Tired of working and would love to do your gardens and polish your cars, im also a dab hand at Gaming so will keep your kids occupied. smile I can but dream cant i
K
K
I'd be happy to replicate that on my HPi-6F as well, but I don't expect any difference from HPi-7F... (and I guess HPi6F = HP305 and HPi7F=HP307).

Kish do you have MSN i want to ask you a few questions smile

Looking for Multi Millionaire who wants to adopt a family, Me ( It Consultant ) Wife ( Athletics Coach Running ) 3 children, Tired of working and would love to do your gardens and polish your cars, im also a dab hand at Gaming so will keep your kids occupied. smile I can but dream cant i
K
K
Sure, sent you a pm

C
C
Originally Posted by jmmec
I think you'll find some very useful information at the website below, with several hands-on reviews of the SN expansion card:

http://forums.rolandclan.com/?action=show_all&fid=34

I can't register on that page!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I was able to login to the forum on my first attempt. As far as registration goes, send the admin an email if you are having troubles registering.

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission