Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1299105 - 11/03/09 07:29 PM Chicago Amateur Piano Competition Now Accepting Applications
Numerian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The first Chicago Amateur Piano Competition will be held next year from June 24 – June 27, 2010 (Thursday through Sunday). Applications are now being accepted from amateur pianists who pursue piano playing through love of the instrument and its repertoire, rather than as a professional occupation or for financial benefit. Competitors are expected to be at least 30 years of age at the time of the competition, and may be neither a faculty member at a music school nor a student pursuing a degree in piano performance.

Competitors are expected to perform up to 10 minutes of solo repertoire in the first round, up to 20 minutes in the semi-final round, and from 20 – 30 minutes for the five competitors who reach the final round. There are no restrictions on the type of repertoire that may be performed, and competitors may perform more than one selection in any round, as long as no selection is repeated in later rounds. Individual movements from larger works may be performed, and competitors need not perform from memory.

Applications must be accompanied by a ten minute CD or DVD recently recorded and featuring two or more selections representing different musical styles and technical demands.

Competitors who do not advance to the next rounds will be given an opportunity, if they wish, to perform their prepared programs publicly during the competition, which will also feature a master class and lectures.

Up to eight cash prizes will be awarded. The first prize winner will receive $1,000 and the opportunity to perform a recital hosted by the PianoForte Foundation.

The competition will take place at the Sherwood Conservatory of Columbia College, located in downtown Chicago. Contestants will have access to practice pianos at Sherwood Conservatory. During the competition, the piano showrooms of PianoForte Chicago, located a few blocks from Sherwood Conservatory, will be open to competitors and the public. Anyone who wishes may sign up for 30 minutes of private practice in any of three showrooms featuring Schimmel, Grotrian, Wendl & Lung, and Steinway grand pianos, plus a selection of Fazioli pianos.

If you are interested in competing, or simply interested in attending the competition as an audience member, visit the website of the Chicago Amateur Piano Competition:

http://chicagopianocompetition.org/

Edited by Numerian (11/03/09 08:06 PM)

Piano & Music Accessories
#1303686 - 11/11/09 10:32 PM Re: Chicago Amateur Piano Competition Now Accepting Applications [Re: Numerian]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I might do it. It sounds good.
And by the way.....although I'm not one of those who wants to be really severe on the definition of "amateur," I think it's very good that there are these restrictions:

-- "30 years or older" -- IMO this is perhaps the most important detail of all. I don't think the boundary necessarily needs to be quite 30 -- I would be happy with something like 28 -- but I think it's absurd to allow 18 year olds (as the Paris competition does) or 21 year olds (as some others do) into amateurs competitions. One way to see it is, how can someone really be considered an "amateur" musician who isn't old enough to have become a "professional" at anything yet? Many of the very young contestants at amateur competitions have simply been young people who were on their way to becoming professionals.

-- "Must not be faculty members at a college/conservatory level music department" -- This might perhaps seem so obvious that it need not be stated, but astonishingly, at least one amateur competition has felt this wasn't an important restriction.

-- "Must not be actively pursuing a degree in piano performance" -- This overlaps with the minimum-age thing (above) and is an important addition to it.

In short: GOOD JOB on the requirements. I had been thinking of "taking the year off" but this makes me want to come to the Chicago competition.

#1344370 - 01/08/10 10:51 PM Re: Chicago Amateur Piano Competition Now Accepting Applications [Re: Mark_C]
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member

In order to be a real amateur competition, I really think that a person with piano performance degree should not be allowed to compete. However, the quality of the competition may suffer if the organizers do not allow those semi professional pianists. More over, it is more fun to compete against semi professional pianists than to compete against real amateurs.

Edited by RonaldSteinway (01/08/10 10:52 PM)

#1352773 - 01/18/10 04:41 PM Re: Chicago Amateur Piano Competition Now Accepting Applications [Re: RonaldSteinway]
musica71 Offline

Loc: Bend, Or.
What about a time restriction on the Music degree. Say degree must not be in the last 15 years, or 35 years ?? And what about a distinction between an Undergraduate and Graduate degree.

#1378375 - 02/19/10 05:58 PM Re: Chicago Amateur Piano Competition Now Accepting Applications [Re: musica71]
Numerian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The first deadline for applications to the Chicago Amateur Piano Competition is fast approaching.

March 1st is the deadline for applications under the $100 fee schedule. After that, applications will cost $125.

Quite a number of applications have already been submitted, but there is still room for other amateurs wishing to perform publicly as well as compete for prizes. The June 24-27 competition will also feature performances by professionals, as well as an opportunity for the general public to enjoy some first-rate music making. Also, anyone in attendance can sign up for 30 minutes of private practice on any number of superb concert pianos, such as Fazioli, Schimmel, Steinway, and Grotrian.

Call 312-291-0291 for more information, or check the competition website at
http://chicagopianocompetition.org/

#1408697 - 04/01/10 03:12 PM Re: Chicago Amateur Piano Competition Now Accepting Applications [Re: Numerian]
Bex Offline

Loc: Southern California
So who is doing this piano competition? I just stumbled on it today!
Jardins sous la pluie

#1415897 - 04/12/10 02:46 PM Re: Chicago Amateur Piano Competition Now Accepting Applications [Re: Bex]
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
61 contestants. WOW!!! BIG TIME!

There are quite a few major contenders on the list.

#1415911 - 04/12/10 03:19 PM Re: Chicago Amateur Piano Competition Now Accepting Applications [Re: LisztAddict]
Mark_C Offline

Where do you see the list?

#1415933 - 04/12/10 04:08 PM Re: Chicago Amateur Piano Competition Now Accepting Applications [Re: Mark_C]
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Didn't you get the Email from the competition?

#1415942 - 04/12/10 04:22 PM Re: Chicago Amateur Piano Competition Now Accepting Applications [Re: LisztAddict]
Mark_C Offline

Yes I did, but I didn't notice any list.
I even looked a second time after I saw your post.
Better go look a 3rd time... smile .....no, still don't see anything.

#1415953 - 04/12/10 04:41 PM Re: Chicago Amateur Piano Competition Now Accepting Applications [Re: Mark_C]
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Go to the competition website, click on "For Competitors". The password is given to you in the Email. smile

#1415996 - 04/12/10 06:30 PM Re: Chicago Amateur Piano Competition Now Accepting Applications [Re: LisztAddict]
Mark_C Offline

I know!!! I did that!
But no list.

(edit: Oh I see......I needed to click "Schedule."
Thanks!!!)

Edited by Mark_C (04/12/10 08:02 PM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
151 registered (*windowlicker*, AaronM, 36251, ABC Vermonter, 52 invisible), 1344 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75971 Members
42 Forums
157110 Topics
2307379 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai ES-7?
by shndany
Today at 10:12 AM
Kawai MP7 - hidden gem
by Kevin Keys
Today at 09:21 AM
Paying to be a vendor
by Bob
Today at 08:39 AM
Does it get easier?
by Pover
Today at 07:10 AM
Correct fingering
by johan d
Today at 06:50 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission