2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 43 of 74 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 73 74
M
M
Greetings to so many kind people. It was a joy to find this board and hear from adult beginners. Thanks for all the contributions you make!
I grew up with friends whose parents rebuilt and sold player pianos, the old kind that you pumped. Our job as kids was to play all the new rolls when they came in. What fun! The parents and an uncle also had great jam sessions. With all that, I didn't learn to play but always wanted to. High school brought 60s folk guitar but no real music trng. Of course in 5th grade we learned to finger a paper keyboard, but it lacked something...could have been the music! After I left home, my Mom, who had played in her youth, bought a Baldwin spinet, which was shipped to my home on the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay in Md. after her death. She loved music, and we arose each day to her choice of Broadway tunes. Oaklahoma will get anyone up and moving! There the Baldwin sat, awaiting my efforts as I completed a career teaching high school English, Vice principal, principal and a masters in Social Work. Now having been retired and turning 60 I knew time was "a wastin'" and began lessons 2 1/2 years ago. It's been wonderful. When I play pops songs, my man and I play Name that Tune. He always gets it right and claims he recognizes what I play, a good sign. My favorite pursuits require many hands: teaching Motorcycle Safety (I ride a Honda Goldwing), knitting , gardening and greatly enjoying the piano, including my recently acquired U1. I think of it as my tuneful safe ride!

many hands many smiles

Big Mama Yama U1
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Manyhands, what a wonderful family story. Welcome to the forum.

P
P
Hello. I'm Dan, living in Sussex, UK.
I played as a child, reaching grade 6 around age 17. Then university and "other stuff" happened and playing fell by the wayside, although there was a little guitar playing on the way. Four years ago I got the itch to play again and bought a Clavinova, which spares the family the more tedious bits of my practicing! My playing has been a little intermittent, but I'm gradually getting back to "intermediate" pieces again and enjoying my playing on the way. Currently playing Maxwell Davies - Farewell to Stromness, Gade - Scherzo no2 from Aquarelles, Brahms - Waltz in A flat op 39 no 15 and Chopin - Mazurka op7 no 2. A recent first for me was accompanying - my daughter at a beginners violin competition. I'm not sure who practiced most!
As for other stuff - I work with computers, have a family, cycle on and off road but at a fairly leisurely pace (sometimes as a challenge but not to race), take photos.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Accompanying your daughter - what fun. She must have been proud as punch.

Welcome to the ABF. This is a great place.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Hi everybody,

I'm Kathy, 22 years old, and started with the acoustic guitar before strapping on a harmonica to my neck a couple years later. Only picked up the piano this year. I own a dinky old keyboard without weighed keys. It barely has volume control and sounds like a beast. Luckily, my friends all own gorgeous-sounding instruments so I hang around them and play on theirs.

Used to work in a music retail, so I know my products pretty well. I'm from North Vancouver, Canada and study psychology/counseling while supporting myself with odd jobs. smile Nice to meet you all!

“Master your instrument, Master the music, and then forget all that bullshit and just play.” — Charlie Parker
J
J
Hey Kathy, get yourself a pair of earphones and make your keyboard sound like a 7' grand!

-PCJohnD

John Dickinson
www.jdickinson.com
Kawai K8, Kawai ES6
Haha awesome, John, I'll rock out with my eyes closed and earphones on tonight.

“Master your instrument, Master the music, and then forget all that bullshit and just play.” — Charlie Parker
J
J
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on the forum for a while, so thought I'd sign up and come and say hello.

I'm an adult beginner, and have been taking jazz lessons for almost a year now. I'm completely hooked! :-) I've got a great teacher, and really enjoy spending as much time at the piano as I can. I've got a Clavinova, and hope one day to upgrade to an acoustic (though my neighbour will hate me for it!).

Lots of very knowledgable and helpful people on this forum. I look forward to joining in.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome JCUK!!
Here you are in very good company and I'm looking forward to hear you play.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
J
J
Thanks CarlosCC!

Not sure I'm ready to play in public for a while yet, but maybe one day. smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JCUK
Thanks CarlosCC!
Not sure I'm ready to play in public for a while yet, but maybe one day. smile

You can share your music and progress with us. Look at the "Piano Bar" and the "ABF Recital" threads. Both are excelent ways to share your records.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Hello! May 1, 2012 i recieved a very inexpesive digital keyboard and started to familiarize myself with keys & chords. Nine years (to the day) and ten-thousand hours prior i recieved a equally inexpensive violin, on the same sort of impulse. Thirty years prior i used college book money to get of all things, a banjo, and eventually a guitar. So a certain amount of musical foundation has been laid. Last week i was at a county fairgrounds where there were several old pianos, nearly abandon. I had time to meet each one, and of course now the hunt is on for one of my own. i realize my approach isn't orthodox. But my new found joy is genuine. All i want to do is play and sing 2 & 3 chord standards. I find the ability to do so better & better each day. Pure joy! Thanks

nada
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome Farmerjones!
Wow, I hope you may transform your enthusiasm in fun! thumb

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
J
J
I am a lawyer, mother of three boys (one in college, one in high school and one finishing middle school next week). I have a combined degree in music and business. At that time my instrument was French horn, but I did take piano for 7 years and played in the jazz band in high school. I recently returned to working in the music industry after being outside of it for 25 years.

I restarted lessons again this year and am enjoying returning to musical study. My 14-year old son was my inspiration. He as a wonderful teacher (who is now also my teacher). He loves piano,has made great progress, and is a better pianist than I will probably ever be. My favorite part of his playing, however, is when he composes. He has played one piano concerto and that was a major undertaking. I believe that if he has the discipline and skill to do that, I can try to master a few pieces a year. He has been very encouraging and occasionally tells me that I am not using proper practicing method (teehee!) He came to my recital on Saturday. I wish I could have verbally dedicated my playing to him. Neither of my other boys play piano. Their interests are diverse and equally interesting, but not piano.

I truly believe that music study is the best way to escape. I love music history and especially music from the 20th century. I often come to piano world forum to discover ways to overcome difficulties in practice for either me or my son, and to learn about repertoire - especially how challenging or fun it is to play. I understand that when it comes to fun or challenging, those words have different meanings to different folks. Still, I love seeing the diverse and sometimes not so diverse responses I get here. I believe that ultimately the study of music should be enjoyable.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome to ABF JessicaB. Although I see you have been around a good long while already it is still nice to know something about each member. Hope to hear more about the music you are playing and your son's progress.

And don't worry, I'm sure nearly everyone will forgive you for being a lawyer grin .

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
http://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/ed379f3cb2026e226b3563893850dcd16251c375

I actually created a welcome to forum song. not sure if you can see the link. I also could not put the words. Words run like this:

welcome to the forum. you come to the right place. Tell us about you, your music & piano
I know you have music deep in your heart; let us welcome you let the music begin

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JessicaB
I am a lawyer, mother of three boys (...)

Welcome JessicaB! Cool to know that your kid inspired you.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
S
S
Hi,

Its so great to see many adults here who are on the beginning of piano learning journey laugh. Really, reading your posts gives me lost of motivation. So glad to find my way on this forum.

About myself, I'm a Vietnamese, living in Hanoi city. In case you don't know, Vietnam is a country in South East Asia region ^^. I'm 20, studying economy at the university, and have been learning piano for 2 months. I have an Yamaha U3 and spend about 3 to 4 hours per day on it.

One year later, I will come to Colorado State University to complete my forth year in university through a program between my university in Vietnam and Colorado State Uni. My goal is to able to play Nocture No9.2 of Chopin before the day I leave Vietnam. I know how hard it is, but I will do all I can to make it come true ^^

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi silverstars and welcome!
I see Chopin is one of your favorite composers. Good choice, you are in great company, here.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Silverstars,

chào mừng và lời chúc tốt nhất

Last edited by KeysAngler; 06/08/12 10:47 AM.
Page 43 of 74 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 73 74

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission