2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,908 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Played only ten hours since it was restored in 2004...

I find that strange...

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by beethoven986
... The bass is rather anemic and the treble is way too harsh...

I would attribute that to the recording equipment... my crappy audio recordings never do a good piano justice, and the treble always sounds...whiny? not the best word to describe it but I cant think of a better one.

I would totally drive down there to look at it just to see what its like in person if I could haha. You cant really "fall in love" with a piano based on pictures and (poor quality?) audio, so seeing/playing it in person would be the deciding factor I suppose.

"No other acoustic instrument can match the piano's expressive range, and no electric instrument can match its mystery." ~ Kenneth Miller
Follow me on twitter! twitter.com/PhilliamDane
I too thought it sounded tinny and thin. Of course, this could be the recording. I'd love to hear it live.

I'm being picky here but what bothered me most about this piano was the "Baldwin" decal on the side. For some reason, side decals seem so cheesy to me, I don't like them one bit. Also, I'm guessing the decal above the keyboard originally read "Baldwin, Cincinnati, U.S.A.", and not simply "Baldwin". Call me old school.

That said, I wish I had $19,500.

C

I often wonder what could have been.

1917 Baldwin L, Satin Mahogany, #30220
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Hey Gang,
This was a piano that I had for sale. It has been sold to a recording studio in Nashville. The price was real and everything in the ad was absolutely true. I realise that the recording did not do this piano justice for sure. The piano was in like new condition and as such it really needed the equivalent of a complete "dealer prep" to bring out the potential, plus it's darn hard recording a 9' concert grand piano in a dining room. The room was far, far too small to bring out the pianos potential. The piano needed tuning and voicing. I also listed the piano for sale here in Piano World's "Pianos for sale" area. IT was truly a fantastic piano. The buyer brought along his piano tech, who is a first call tech here in Nashville. The tech LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the piano. It was fun "brokering" this deal but it's pretty hard unloading a 9' concert grand piano these days. There is a limited market for these beasts. This piano was one of the best pianos I have ever played. BTW - that was me playing on the recording.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
^^ Interesting! Thanks for coming on and telling us! ^^

I still think I probably wouldn't like the piano a heck of a lot. No offense though. sick
I don't think the room and the equipment would affect the impression radically; even lousy equipment and bad spaces won't hide the essence of a piano. (And if they did hide it, maybe you made a mistake not doing something about it for the sake of the recording, because it could have made a difference of thousands of dollars. I certainly don't understand why you wouldn't have had it tuned and at least 'lightly' voiced -- although I don't think those things much affected our impressions here.)

Anyway.....congrats on the sale, and I'm glad you came on here to tell us more about the piano and I'm sure other people will be too.

Are you going to be able to purchase it? It sounds great. How wonderful if you have the room, not to mention the money.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
There is an interesting phenominon when recording a piano. Sometimes, I have noticed, even when the piano IS freshly tuned, a piano can still sound out of tune on a recording. Has anybody else experienced this and have any insight as to why this is the case. This piano was recorded with two fairly high quality small diaphragm condenser mics close in, one over the treble side placed near the bridge pins facing the tuning pins, in other words in an almost horizontal orientation, with an angle toward the strings. The bass mic was done similarly only it wasn't place very close to the bridge pins, it was probably about 12 - 15 inches away from the tuning pins. The music rack was in the upright position so in essence the mics were in a kind of acoustic box. The short stick on that piano is fairly short. The piano really sounded much, much better live. On top of that, Youtube compresses audio on everything to conserve band width. My preference would have been to open the lid on the long stick and place the mics about 4 feet back and record from there in a stereo pair. The guy who owned the piano is Mark Gray, a long time Nashville singer and songwriter who, on top of having a stroke that effected his arms and hands, also has some other lingering effects that affect his speach and his general demeanor. It was his idea to record the piano that way and I didn't think it did much for the piano at all. In his current state of health he gets very excitable and I did't want to agitate him. I just recorded it his way and made the best of it. I sold a Steinway recently that I recorded on full stick with the mics back about two feet and it came out a better recording in my opinion. What are your experiences?

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
In my experience, pianos sound their best when recorded with large diaphragm mics placed about 9' away or more, but I only record classical music, where this technique is more widely used. Congrats on your sale!

"Tuning" wasn't the issue.
Tone and dynamic range were the issues.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Well, tone and dynamic range, especially dynamic range, are seriously compromised by Youtubes compression scheme. The piano has a magnificant tone and can go from whisper soft to thunderous with no problem. I guess you would have just had to hear it yourself. I realize that different people look for different things in a piano's tone, so this may or may not have been to your liking, but don't judge it by the youtube video, the video sounded nothing like the piano in person.

Indeed youtube does funny things with the dynamic range.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Youtube is a horrid way to judge a piano. A $180k new piano can sound like an $180 100 year old piano on youtube.

Hailun HU7P
1799 John Broadwood and son square
1800 George Astor London square
1810 Gibson and Davis New York square
1830 John Broadwood and sons square

Aeolian-Hammond BA player organ
Conn 652 theater organ
1922 Kotykiewicz two manual harmonium
1880s karn pump organ
Originally Posted by Brandon_W_T
Youtube is a horrid way to judge a piano. A $180k new piano can sound like an $180 100 year old piano on youtube.

Well, I don't agree with that in the least.

Youtube is its own frame of reference, and a real good piano should still stand out -- and I think it almost always does.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hmm well sometimes. But I honestly have come across a lot of bad videos! Taking my krakauer video into perspective.

Hailun HU7P
1799 John Broadwood and son square
1800 George Astor London square
1810 Gibson and Davis New York square
1830 John Broadwood and sons square

Aeolian-Hammond BA player organ
Conn 652 theater organ
1922 Kotykiewicz two manual harmonium
1880s karn pump organ
Originally Posted by Brandon_W_T
Hmm well sometimes. But I honestly have come across a lot of bad videos!.....

Of course.
I'm just saying the real good pianos stand out from the crowd.
If a piano sounds mediocre, it almost certainly is.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission