Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1411812 - 04/05/10 10:01 PM baldwin concert grand on craigslist
Philpot321 Offline

I found this interesting...
http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/1665361094.html

What do you knowledgable people think about the price? Im thinkin if I had 20 grand id gladly buy it wink

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1411815 - 04/05/10 10:07 PM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: Philpot321]
Brandon_W_T Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Sounds like an excellent deal! Out of one of the best ages for a baldwin! Fantastic condition, fully restored. I would take that over most any other used concert grand any day! I love baldwin concert grands. One of if not the best back in its day!

--NEW!--- 1964ish Conn 640 vacuum tube theatre organ! (with leslie!) smile

Grandmas- New Hyundai petite baby grand

Church (the organ I practice on)-
1998 Bedient (Built about 45 minutes from me!) 2m/pedal 24 rank Cavaille-Coll style pipe organ

#1411816 - 04/05/10 10:11 PM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: Brandon_W_T]
Philpot321 Offline

Did you listen to the youtube video of it? its amazing! And for a fully restored concert grand... man I wish I had more stuff to sell xD maybe my mom would take out a loan for me wink

#1411817 - 04/05/10 10:15 PM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: Philpot321]
Googlism Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Sounds nice...but too good to be true.

"... It is a skill you go on learning all your life: the more you write, the more you learn."

Harry Freedman on the craft of composing

#1411819 - 04/05/10 10:19 PM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: Googlism]
Philpot321 Offline

I dont think it seems ridiculously farfetched, it was posted once before for 27000 (I saw it then as well), and he basically invites you to send a tech over to look at it :P he does seem like a serious seller, it doesnt sound all that fishy. Oh how I wish I could go look at it haha

#1411820 - 04/05/10 10:25 PM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: Philpot321]
PDMT Offline

It really does have a great sound to it. What song is that in the youtube video? It's really frustrating me that I cannot figure it out.

EDIT: Apparently it's called I Exalt Thee, but that was definitely not the song I was thinking it was, especially at the :15-:25 second mark, totally sounds like a pop song that I can't place.

Edited by PDMT (04/05/10 10:30 PM)

#1411822 - 04/05/10 10:28 PM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: PDMT]
Philpot321 Offline

The song is called I exalt thee smile the owner said on the ebay listing that it was an improvised arrangement.

#1411836 - 04/05/10 10:49 PM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: Philpot321]
crogersrx Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
That piano is a beauty! My rebuilder has one that he just rebuilt a couple years ago. When the economy was better, he had expected to get $40K out of it, then everything went south and he's gone as low as $25K, but won't sell it for less. It's just a VERY small market out there for VERY LARGE pianos!

I'm actually talking to my rebuilder about trading my piano for his Baldwin 9 foot. He already has a few buyers lined up for my piano, and for more than what he's tried to sell them the Baldwin for.

Personally, I'd get rid of furniture just to cram the piano in the house... who needs a dining room anyway (actually already got rid of the dining room table to make way for the present piano... but there's enough room for the 9'er!!)

#1411856 - 04/05/10 11:22 PM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: crogersrx]
SeilerFan Offline
500 Post Club Member

I love Baldwin pianos. But is it just me who thinks this piano actually sounds kind of tinny. Not focused enough. There is something honky-tonkish about it. Maybe it is just the fact that it isn't exactly tuned freshly.
I've played Baldwin 9 footers that had a richness of a completely different caliber, much more profound.

Edited by SeilerFan (04/05/10 11:23 PM)

#1411865 - 04/05/10 11:39 PM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: SeilerFan]
crogersrx Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted By: SeilerFan
I love Baldwin pianos. But is it just me who thinks this piano actually sounds kind of tinny. Not focused enough. There is something honky-tonkish about it. Maybe it is just the fact that it isn't exactly tuned freshly.
I've played Baldwin 9 footers that had a richness of a completely different caliber, much more profound.

It could be the voicing, but more likely just a poor recording. A friend of mine has a nice Bosie and it sounded like crap when he recorded it with a junky camcorder. Most big Baldwins have a very nice tone. Once the hammers need voicing though, any piano can sound clunky.

#1411876 - 04/05/10 11:49 PM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: crogersrx]
SeilerFan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: crogersrx

It could be the voicing, but more likely just a poor recording...

Definitely possible, but until we know for sure, I am not sure if this piano is THAT praise-worthy. It might be a good Baldwin, but the question is if it is as good as Baldwin can get (and they can be outstanding). Since this is a rebuilt, it's not a factory Baldwin anymore.

The Baldwin grand that impressed me the most was actually a late Arkansas grand, built in 1998 with a voice that made me quiver with excitement.

#1411880 - 04/05/10 11:55 PM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: SeilerFan]
Brandon_W_T Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Yes. That piano is in a very small room it seems, so sound wold be kind of choked I would think. It is out of tune, and thats a sound that I dislike for a piano like that. But I am sure that piano really does sing! It looks incredible too.

Ahhh.... my grandpa bought a lottery ticket for $125 mil, so figure $62 mil after taxes and such, and I can have my Baldwin 9' and maybe a pipe organ, and college! laugh

--NEW!--- 1964ish Conn 640 vacuum tube theatre organ! (with leslie!) smile

Grandmas- New Hyundai petite baby grand

Church (the organ I practice on)-
1998 Bedient (Built about 45 minutes from me!) 2m/pedal 24 rank Cavaille-Coll style pipe organ

#1411888 - 04/06/10 12:03 AM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: Philpot321]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Sorry to be a pooper smile ......but I don't think the youtube sounds impressive at all.

Maybe it's just how he's playing, but.....To me, it's a metallic sound without much character and without any remarkable dynamic range. IMO the sound is below average for any good-sized grand, and unbelievably mediocre for a 9'.

Sorry. smile

#1411889 - 04/06/10 12:05 AM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: SeilerFan]
Mark_C Offline

I love Baldwin pianos. But is it just me who thinks this piano actually sounds kind of tinny. Not focused enough. There is something honky-tonkish about it....

A big +1

#1411892 - 04/06/10 12:06 AM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: crogersrx]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: crogersrx
.....It could be the voicing, but more likely just a poor recording.....

Yes -- either or, or maybe something else. Whatever.

So, why are people going so nuts over the piano??? From what we can hear, there's nothing to get excited about.

When we see a deal like this, the first thing we should wonder is, maybe the piano is just lousy. And there's nothing about what we hear in the recording to alleviate that concern.

#1411900 - 04/06/10 12:17 AM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: Mark_C]
Robert 45 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
Yes, from the youtube excerpt a tad brash, but heaps of personaliy in the sound. It's not a shy piano and a good tuning and some subtle voicing could work wonders.
The Baldwin is a great American piano and surely this concert grand is from the "golden age" of Baldwin's production.

Cheers,

Robert.

#1411903 - 04/06/10 12:18 AM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: Robert 45]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Robert 45
Yes, from the youtube excerpt a tad brash, but heaps of personality in the sound.....

I guess we just disagree on that last point. To me, there's no evident personality whatsoever. (I'm not saying there definitely "isn't" any, just that none is evident from what we can hear.)

#1411937 - 04/06/10 01:17 AM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: SeilerFan]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP4, CP5 (home use) , RCF TT08A, TT22A speakers

#1411946 - 04/06/10 01:56 AM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: Dave Ferris]
charleslang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The sound, as it stands from the recording, is about 2.5 out of ten, but tuning and voicing might make a huge difference. The tuning is bad enough that it's hard to tell whether there is any good tone that would be brought out by a good tuning and voicing. Likely the recording technology adds to the wimpy sound, since even the bass doesn't sound big, which is impossible for that piano.

Around 20k seems to be the going price for these Baldwin concert grands. It's at least the fourth one I've personally seen for almost exactly this price. It could be a great bargain, since, I really think, most of them are. But personally I would want to have it tuned and voiced before deciding whether to buy it. In that price range it should be something that you really love.

Baldwin Model R (1974), Hardman 5'9" grand (1915), Rieger-Kloss 42.5" vertical

#1411967 - 04/06/10 02:59 AM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: Mark_C]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I completely agree with you. The bass is rather anemic and the treble is way too harsh. Maybe it's the recording equipment, but I certainly wouldn't travel from Chicago to see it based on the recording.

As for whether it's a good deal, I'd want to know what was done in the rebuild. Does it have a new soundboard? If not, I wouldn't buy it... Honestly, I'd rather have a newer SD-10 for about the same price or an old junker concert grand that I could have rebuilt to my own specifications by someone I know.

Edited by beethoven986 (04/06/10 03:00 AM)
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#1412039 - 04/06/10 07:41 AM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: beethoven986]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Played only ten hours since it was restored in 2004...

I find that strange...

#1412079 - 04/06/10 09:25 AM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: beethoven986]
Philpot321 Offline

Originally Posted By: beethoven986
... The bass is rather anemic and the treble is way too harsh...

I would attribute that to the recording equipment... my crappy audio recordings never do a good piano justice, and the treble always sounds...whiny? not the best word to describe it but I cant think of a better one.

I would totally drive down there to look at it just to see what its like in person if I could haha. You cant really "fall in love" with a piano based on pictures and (poor quality?) audio, so seeing/playing it in person would be the deciding factor I suppose.

#1412113 - 04/06/10 10:18 AM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: Philpot321]
manofsong Offline

Loc: Earth
I too thought it sounded tinny and thin. Of course, this could be the recording. I'd love to hear it live.

I'm being picky here but what bothered me most about this piano was the "Baldwin" decal on the side. For some reason, side decals seem so cheesy to me, I don't like them one bit. Also, I'm guessing the decal above the keyboard originally read "Baldwin, Cincinnati, U.S.A.", and not simply "Baldwin". Call me old school.

That said, I wish I had $19,500.

C

1917 Baldwin L, Satin Mahogany, #30220

#1416344 - 04/13/10 09:32 AM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: manofsong]
Pianolance Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
Hey Gang,
This was a piano that I had for sale. It has been sold to a recording studio in Nashville. The price was real and everything in the ad was absolutely true. I realise that the recording did not do this piano justice for sure. The piano was in like new condition and as such it really needed the equivalent of a complete "dealer prep" to bring out the potential, plus it's darn hard recording a 9' concert grand piano in a dining room. The room was far, far too small to bring out the pianos potential. The piano needed tuning and voicing. I also listed the piano for sale here in Piano World's "Pianos for sale" area. IT was truly a fantastic piano. The buyer brought along his piano tech, who is a first call tech here in Nashville. The tech LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the piano. It was fun "brokering" this deal but it's pretty hard unloading a 9' concert grand piano these days. There is a limited market for these beasts. This piano was one of the best pianos I have ever played. BTW - that was me playing on the recording.

#1416429 - 04/13/10 12:24 PM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: Pianolance]
Mark_C Offline

^^ Interesting! Thanks for coming on and telling us! ^^

I still think I probably wouldn't like the piano a heck of a lot. No offense though. sick
I don't think the room and the equipment would affect the impression radically; even lousy equipment and bad spaces won't hide the essence of a piano. (And if they did hide it, maybe you made a mistake not doing something about it for the sake of the recording, because it could have made a difference of thousands of dollars. I certainly don't understand why you wouldn't have had it tuned and at least 'lightly' voiced -- although I don't think those things much affected our impressions here.)

Anyway.....congrats on the sale, and I'm glad you came on here to tell us more about the piano and I'm sure other people will be too.

#1416559 - 04/13/10 04:27 PM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: crogersrx]
Roxy Offline

Loc: Whittier, Calif
Are you going to be able to purchase it? It sounds great. How wonderful if you have the room, not to mention the money.

#1416581 - 04/13/10 05:03 PM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: Roxy]
Pianolance Offline
1000 Post Club Member

There is an interesting phenominon when recording a piano. Sometimes, I have noticed, even when the piano IS freshly tuned, a piano can still sound out of tune on a recording. Has anybody else experienced this and have any insight as to why this is the case. This piano was recorded with two fairly high quality small diaphragm condenser mics close in, one over the treble side placed near the bridge pins facing the tuning pins, in other words in an almost horizontal orientation, with an angle toward the strings. The bass mic was done similarly only it wasn't place very close to the bridge pins, it was probably about 12 - 15 inches away from the tuning pins. The music rack was in the upright position so in essence the mics were in a kind of acoustic box. The short stick on that piano is fairly short. The piano really sounded much, much better live. On top of that, Youtube compresses audio on everything to conserve band width. My preference would have been to open the lid on the long stick and place the mics about 4 feet back and record from there in a stereo pair. The guy who owned the piano is Mark Gray, a long time Nashville singer and songwriter who, on top of having a stroke that effected his arms and hands, also has some other lingering effects that affect his speach and his general demeanor. It was his idea to record the piano that way and I didn't think it did much for the piano at all. In his current state of health he gets very excitable and I did't want to agitate him. I just recorded it his way and made the best of it. I sold a Steinway recently that I recorded on full stick with the mics back about two feet and it came out a better recording in my opinion. What are your experiences?

#1416653 - 04/13/10 07:50 PM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: Pianolance]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

In my experience, pianos sound their best when recorded with large diaphragm mics placed about 9' away or more, but I only record classical music, where this technique is more widely used. Congrats on your sale!
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#1416697 - 04/13/10 09:16 PM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: Pianolance]
Mark_C Offline

"Tuning" wasn't the issue.
Tone and dynamic range were the issues.

#1416706 - 04/13/10 09:31 PM Re: baldwin concert grand on craigslist [Re: Mark_C]
Pianolance Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well, tone and dynamic range, especially dynamic range, are seriously compromised by Youtubes compression scheme. The piano has a magnificant tone and can go from whisper soft to thunderous with no problem. I guess you would have just had to hear it yourself. I realize that different people look for different things in a piano's tone, so this may or may not have been to your liking, but don't judge it by the youtube video, the video sounded nothing like the piano in person.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Original method for harmonic hearing development
by Nahum
Today at 03:19 AM
First Digital Piano - Advice needed
by chicobalay
Today at 02:37 AM
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
Yesterday at 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
Yesterday at 07:58 PM
Who's Online
64 registered (36251, András Lieber, angga888, barbaram, 13 invisible), 1038 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158395 Topics
2325949 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission