2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (1957, bcalvanese, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 6 invisible), 1,372 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If you are doing any recording, and/or mixing, you should be using a good set of headphones just for that purpose.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
I bought the Z-2300 set upon reading about it on these forums. It really does sound great. I use it to play back my virtual Steinway (Garritan) and also my CLP-380's sound. The bass is so much better than the clavinova's speakers, and the upper-mid range is much clearer to me.

JBurn, do you really mean that you prefer the sound of the Logitech Z-2300 set to your Clavinova CLP-380's:

• Amplifier (35W + 20W + 20W) x 2 + 12W x 2
• Speaker System 6 5/16" + 3 1/8" + 1" (dome) x 2 + 3 1/8" x 2
• Tri-Amp System
• iAFC

This should mean that for less than 200$ you can let a 340 or 370 (or maybe even a 240, 270 or 280) sound better than a 380 !!! (except maybe for the extra step/layer AWM and the String Resonance).

Sounds almost to good to be true, but if it does, tomorrow i rush to the shop to buy such a set! crazy

I love my dark rosewood Yamaha CLP-240. She's as honest with me as a loyal dog but she sounds better.
J
J
Copilot,

I do prefer the sound of the Z-2300. I think the position of the speakers has a lot to do with them sounding better to me. I'm 6'6" tall and the Z-2300s, sitting atop the 380, are at a perfect angle and better project the sound up towards my ears.

If you pick up a set I hope they please you as much as they have pleased me.

I did a lot of research on the internet and after a lot of reading and comparing specs and meanings, i've decided that the Logitech Z-2300 is thé thing to buy (under 200$) for a digital piano.

I ordered a set, and on Wednesday i shall have them.

After testing i'll give you people my impressions.

Can't wait!

I love my dark rosewood Yamaha CLP-240. She's as honest with me as a loyal dog but she sounds better.
fe2008 Offline OP
OP Offline
Can't wait for your review too smile

Roland FP7F
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Copilot
I bought the Z-2300 set upon reading about it on these forums. It really does sound great. I use it to play back my virtual Steinway (Garritan) and also my CLP-380's sound. The bass is so much better than the clavinova's speakers, and the upper-mid range is much clearer to me.

JBurn, do you really mean that you prefer the sound of the Logitech Z-2300 set to your Clavinova CLP-380's:

• Amplifier (35W + 20W + 20W) x 2 + 12W x 2
• Speaker System 6 5/16" + 3 1/8" + 1" (dome) x 2 + 3 1/8" x 2
• Tri-Amp System
• iAFC

This should mean that for less than 200$ you can let a 340 or 370 (or maybe even a 240, 270 or 280) sound better than a 380 !!! (except maybe for the extra step/layer AWM and the String Resonance).

The sound system I just set up is about the same price. If you total up the drivers it works out to six of them. But what really matters more is the total frequency response. and if a sub is used the crossover frequency of the sub.
Watts don't mean anything until you multiply them by the speaker efficiency. A difference of 3dB efficiency is the same as doubling the watts in the amp. So 25W can be the same as 100W depending on how the speakers are designed. efficiency rating fall in the range of about 84 to 96 dB (at 1 watt and 1 meter.)

Sub crossover frequency matters because human hears can't locate the source of sound if the frequency is much below 60Hz. So a sub with a 60Hz cut off you can place anywhere is the room. But if small, under sized left and right channel speakers are used then the sub has to cross over at 100Hz or even higher and your ears can locate it and the effect is spoiled and you notice the sound is coming from a speaker.

But any way you do it. It seems that even a "cheap" $200 audio system is leaps and bounds better then what Yamaha puts in there better pianos.

Now we see how easy it is to better the CLP380 our next target is the Avent Grand N3. What will it take to best the N3?

C
C
It's great to hear these great speaker options for my Yamaha P155. I also saw on the "Piano Buyer" guide, the Logitech Z-2300 is recommended for digital pianos.

ChrisA's setup also looks nice for a very economical price.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Here's quite a thorough and positive review of the Z2300's: http://www.macintouch.com/speakers01/review.html

Does anyone actually know what the crossover frequency is? (i.e between the sub and the satellites)

Greg.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I've found a few posts now that state that the crossover frequency is 150Hz, which isn't ideal. (full THX certification actually calls for an 80Hz crossover - it appears that the Z-2300s have been certified to some lesser THX standard)

Here's one link where the 150Hz crossover is mentioned. Interestingly, this person replaced the standard Z-2300 satellites with bookshelf speakers.
http://aussiegeeks.lefora.com/2008/10/18/cheap-easy-upgrade-for-the-logitech-z-2300s/

150Hz isn't all that bad, though - according to this Audioholics link:
"160Hz is the lowest frequency that is consistently localizable by most people in most situations."

Greg.

Last edited by sullivang; 04/14/10 09:42 AM.
C
C
Interesting thread... I just ordered these speakers for my P-155 and will also test them on my CLP-380. I have no doubt they will outperform the P-155's speakers (which are terrible) but skeptical about the 380. Let's see...

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I bought the z-2300 setup on the advice of Snazzyplayer and have been really pleased. Makes everything just sound deeper and richer. Sorry can't help you with technical stuff like crossover frequencies and such.

Sandy

fe2008 Offline OP
OP Offline
Well... After some more researches over the internet I found another system that seems to be better than the logitech z-2300, acording to a few threads at head-fi.org:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/klipsch-promedia-2-1-vs-logitech-z2300-240219/

It's the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/promedia-2-1-overview/

They say the logitech is more designed for "bass", while the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 is more about sound quality.

I think I'll order this system at ebay. only 105USD (+65 USD express shipment to Brazil)

Last edited by fe2008; 04/14/10 11:20 PM.

Roland FP7F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The reason I went with the Logitech 2.1 was that they had already been tried on digital pianos and arranger keyboards by friends of mine on other keyboard forums,(YPKO, PSR Tutorial, and Synth Zone BBS) and were better than most keyboard's on-board systems, and they also had a terrific warranty and return policy.

Several who tried the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 were conscious of a "boominess" in the bass/sub, that wasn't present in the Logitech Z-2300, and two of the users had problems...one with the sub, and one with a satellite.

So far, none of us have had any problems with the Z-2300's, and I have three sets of them, and a pal in the UK has two.

There's no doubt Klipsch make great speakers...they've been around for some time, and are/were the choice of many for their home stereos...the difference in the Logitech's, is that, in spite of not being designed as keyboard speakers, they were discovered to work incredibly well in that application, unlike the former.

I wish the above poster the best of luck with the Klipsch, and hope that the money saved over the Logitech. was not in vain, although I suppose, any decent 12.1 system will surely sound better than the, usually very lacking, factory systems.

One of the few points with which I agree on with the Dewster, but agreed on totally, nonetheless.

Snazzy

fe2008 Offline OP
OP Offline
I've not ordered anything yet... hehe

Roland FP7F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by fe2008
I've not ordered anything yet... hehe

If you do order the Klipsch, will you be able to return them if they are not satisfactory?

Snazzy

N
N
Originally Posted by fe2008
...It's the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/promedia-2-1-overview/

They say the logitech is more designed for "bass", while the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 is more about sound quality.

fe2008, my home theater is Klipsch. I don't know the model but I got it about 3 years ago based on a Best Buy show room demo. My iPod earbug is Klipsch. I must say their sound is unbelievable. Now, I don't have anything else to compare them too so take my words with a grain of salt. [Also, as Snazzy suggests, can you buy this from a local electronic shop even if it costs a little more? Just for return purposes if it turns out disappointing.]

My question Snazzy. Are you all talking about this set up directly from the DP to your audio system, or with all these, you still have to get them through a PC/Mac to get it sounds as amazing as you're saying? If this is just a straight set up from DP to audio, and it sounds better than the CLP-380, I'm going to do it. laugh

Last edited by Nguyen; 04/15/10 10:42 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nguyen

[My question Snazzy. Are you all talking about this set up directly from the DP to your audio system, or with all these, you still have to get them through a PC/Mac to get it sounds as amazing as you're saying? If this is just a straight set up from DP to audio, and it sounds better than the CLP-380, I'm going to do it. laugh

I run from the remote control of the Logitech Z-2300, to the headphone jack of the P-85 (not the best way...I'd prefer if it had line-outs).

I can't speak of the quality difference in the CLP-380 when using the Logitech, as I don't have easy access to one, but I'm sure there may be some here using them on a similar model.

The P-85 is an inexpensive piano, but I've had guests at my house, mainly other players, who were astounded at the sound of the piano.

The Logitech Z-2300's crossover, whatever/wherever it is, is perfect for piano, as well as an arranger workstation, which plays drums, bass, guitar chords etc. I haven't tried any other model, but a good buddy of mine has the Logitech Z-5500 on his arranger keyboard, and he loves it, but I think it would be overkill for piano (it's a 5.1, so you'd need to collapse it down to stereo).

The Logitech Z-2300 is one of those lucky flukes...I'm sure it wasn't designed for piano, but, it has all the right specs and features nevertheless, and for an under $200 system, it sure blows away the on-board systems I've heard...all except the Avant Grand.

I thought the mids would suffer, because the satellites aren't huge, but they are smooth and warm...the remote has a simple tone control, that is effective and very easy to get at....it also has a headphone jack.

Great little system, and a great return policy as well, if you don't like it.

Snazzy

Later Edit...the Logitech's are more for playing pleasure, than for recording, as they do color the sound a bit (but very naturally)..I use a cheap pair of Sony headphones for the latter...if it sounds good through them, it sounds good through anything.

fe2008 Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok, I decided for the z-2300 the problem is can't find them anywhere here in Brazil and at ebay the shipment is really expensive (165.00 USD shipment). Why so expensive?
Is the box huge?

Roland FP7F
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by snazzyplayer
I run from the remote control of the Logitech Z-2300, to the headphone jack of the P-85 (not the best way...I'd prefer if it had line-outs).

The Logitech Z-2300 is one of those lucky flukes...I'm sure it wasn't designed for piano, but, it has all the right specs and features nevertheless, and for an under $200 system, it sure blows away the on-board systems I've heard...all except the Avant Grand.
You're really making this a tempting option for me.

One question for you: How big is the room in which you use this piano + Logitech speaker set?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

You're really making this a tempting option for me.

One question for you: How big is the room in which you use this piano + Logitech speaker set?

My present music room is about 24' by 28'...hardwood floor, no heavy curtains....main floor. The satellites aren't long throw (they were designed for computer gaming) but their focal point isn't dreadfully short, either.

Just buy where you can return if not satisfied.

Now, Mac, I'm not an audiophile, and I don't listen to my stereo hardly at all...I'd rather be playing...however, I do love a rich sound where the bass is tight but still substantial, and the mids are good...I guess I could be relatively content with a pair of good monitors with no sub-woofer for piano only, as they would cover the real low bass notes adequately, but I also use an arranger/workstation and I love how the low notes are handled....the acoustic upright bass sounds suitably woody, yet the electric bass, such as a DynoPickBass has the twang/pop reproduced perfectly.

It's just a nice plus to have the piano's bass notes "clank" like they do on a real big grand.

Several people on the other forums use them for small venues, mostly nursing homes and small parties.

I'd be interested in your opinion, as you know much more than I in regards to speakers and amps etc, but, I am like you in the way I rely on my ears, far more than specs or tests, to evaluate equipment.

I get kidded by my buds about using the same cheap pair of Sony headphones for all my recording purposes, especially mixing...my theory being that if it sounds good in them, it will sound great in anything else...probably not anything new, but we are here to pass on these little tidbits of info we all have learned over the years.

I took a chance on trusting someone's (well, actually a few people) discovery about the Logitech...and I wasn't too concerned if it hadn't worked out, as I'd find another use for them, or take them back...but I didn't need to do either...I'm very pleased with their performance.

Snazzy

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission