Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1416716 - 04/13/10 09:43 PM Sight Reading Help
saye Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
hello,

New to the forums, but I've spent the greater part of the day reading back among archives. I wish I knew about this resource a long time ago!

I would like help with more advanced sight reading drills... I can read music and understand all the notation but have pretty serious trouble routinely connecting high and low (more than an octave away from middle C) notes to keys on the keyboard quickly. Learning new pieces is agonizing because I can't read through them quickly, so I have to memorize line by line. I pretty much need to look at my fingers all the time, which I'm sure is horrible practice.

I would prefer a set of drills that address this specifically because I find general teaching books boring as crap and I currently play out of "The Library of Piano Classics" and any classical sheet music I decide I like. I made it to Grade 3 Conservatory as a kid and then had a temper tantrum and quit because I was bored out of my mind with what I had to play. I would absolutely love to branch out to jazz but (for example) a Vince Guaraldi songbook is terrifying to look at in terms of ability to read and learn.

Lessons aren't an option because I'm a dirt poor graduate student. I bought a Yamaha P70 DP (loud keys are loud) several years ago and I feel stuck at a brick wall because of my difficulty with sight reading. I think there's only so much you can do with only a small amount of skill in playing by ear and memorizing.

All help completely appreciated frown

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1416731 - 04/13/10 10:09 PM Re: Sight Reading Help [Re: saye]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Somebody, not too long ago, posted a websight link - sort of a diary, if you will - of how they methodically went about becoming a better sight-reader. He/she showed the progress made after 2 years. It was amazing. He/she was very much yourself and myself....poor at sight reading so forced to memorize anything remotely "difficult." The ability to memorize is also a gift, so don't beat yourself up too badly about that. smile If the aforementioned member reads this, please re-post that link. It was pretty helpful.

Personally, I have been trying as much as possible to play new (and difficult) pieces HT whenever it is "do-able." This forces me to sight-read (though at an extremely slow tempo) and I was amazed at how much quicker the pieces are learned and memorized vs. playing only HS. I can memorize after about 15-20 or so play-throughs with the score. smile

Also, I recently purchased a book called "Progressive Sight Reading", by Hannah Smith - also recommended by another member. Since I'm lazy, I haven't gotten past the first page...lol. If you're disciplined and not lazy like I am, perhaps you'll want to try this book. It's a method book of sorts.

Lastly, some good advice I read was to sight-read, on a regular basis, easy stuff - even kid stuff, and church-type hymns are helpful too.

#1416732 - 04/13/10 10:10 PM Re: Sight Reading Help [Re: saye]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Welcome to the forum, saye. smile I know that I have seen recommendations for various sight reading books and drills, but danged if I can remember what they are now. My own personal belief is that the best way to improve sightreading is by... doing lots of sightreading. Yeah, it will be painfully slow at first, but the more you play from sheet music, the easier it will get. And one day you'll find yourself surprising yourself by sitting down and looking at a piece of unfamiliar music and being able to translate it immediately to the keys on the page.

It's sort of like learning to read regular books. Preschoolers and kindergartners have to sound words out, painful syllable by syllable. But over time something clicks and they begin to read fluently. That will happen for you.

#1416735 - 04/13/10 10:16 PM Re: Sight Reading Help [Re: Monica K.]
saye Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I see now that I'm registered that there's a search function, I posted immediately after my account was activated and didn't see it after looking earlier today :x oops. I'll look for those threads.

Thank you - I guess my lack of progress despite trying to practice is the most frustrating part. Although I learned how to read music as a kid I spent many intervening years reading only tablature for bass guitar and never even really picked up notes beyond the basic strings (out of total laziness natch) so I feel frozen at a very early level and that I resort to my bass ways instead of trying to progress properly because I'm impatient.

#1416737 - 04/13/10 10:23 PM Re: Sight Reading Help [Re: Monica K.]
Chris G Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
For a long time my sightreading was very weak compared with my ability to play from memory and I spent most of my practice seesion for a year or so working on reading, i.e. rather than working on a small number of pieces which I ended up memorizing I kept on moving onto new pieces. I stil can't read as fast as I can play but my reading ability is way ahead of where it was and now that I can read better I can learn new pieces more quickly and no longer have to rely 100% on memory when playing.

My advice is to just get a collection of music that you like and which is not too difficult and just work through reading a lot of different pieces. It does get easier over time.

#1416742 - 04/13/10 10:37 PM Re: Sight Reading Help [Re: Chris G]
Scrubby_Jones Offline

Loc: New Orleans, LA
I can actually ONLY sight read. My mother was a music teacher and had tons of sheet music lying around. I never played the same piece twice growing up, so I didn't learn anything for memory. I can improv a bit, but without at least a lead sheet in front of me, I'm useless. From there I built up the skill to where I can read fairly involved pieces in real time.

It's incredibly frustrating, but you've gotta just keep with your internal (or actual) metronome and not look back. It helps to play pieces that you like and know. Try practicing when you know that nobody can hear you so you're less embarrassed by the wrong notes you'll inevitably hit. You'll play a similar piece a thousand times wrong before you play one right. But if you go back and fix your errors, you're still only learning that song.

If you learn how to fake the music using guitar chords, it works as a nice crutch that allows you to have the gratification of playing the song without stopping. But what it also does it bridges you to the point where you recognize the chord structure within the music and can simply glance at the staff and your hand immediately jumps to the right position so you're not looking at your hands as much.

Again, it's not easy. There's no book, lesson, or exercise that can teach you to sight read without a little frustration. Also, don't bother learning to sight read just the right hand and trying to go back and learn the left. In order to sight read in real time, you have to learn to visualize all 10 fingers working together, not simply two hands.

As a physician, I can tell you that frustration is the feeling you get when the nerves in your brain are making new connections. Good luck, and be prepared for some hard work ahead!

#1416816 - 04/14/10 02:14 AM Re: Sight Reading Help [Re: Scrubby_Jones]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: Scrubby_Jones

As a physician, I can tell you that frustration is the feeling you get when the nerves in your brain are making new connections. Good luck, and be prepared for some hard work ahead!

Ah ha!

#1416842 - 04/14/10 04:54 AM Re: Sight Reading Help [Re: saye]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
I used this online drill and I no longer have problem finding the notes on the keyboard. You can configure it to also include accidentals if you need to.

Here is the link:
http://www.emusictheory.com/practice/pianoKeys.html

Now when I sight read I automatically know the position, I see it in my head before I actually know what note I'm looking at smile

Edited by Teodor (04/14/10 04:55 AM)

Recitals:

#1416872 - 04/14/10 07:16 AM Re: Sight Reading Help [Re: Teodor]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
It's all about practice and time...

#1417215 - 04/14/10 03:34 PM Re: Sight Reading Help [Re: Mark...]
bolt Offline

I bought the first three levels of Sight Reading by Lin Ling Ling yesterday and after starting to use them I have a good impression. I think they are going to help me.

Each level has a large number of drill exercises that you sight read.

They are $5.95 each.

#1419054 - 04/17/10 05:11 PM Re: Sight Reading Help [Re: bolt]
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/search?q=four+star
--benefit of ear-training along with sight-reading
--goes from level Prep to 10; gets progressively harder, and by the end, looks like a nightmare...

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/search?q=Sight+Reading+%26+Rhythm+Every+Day
--a bit more simple than the above link, but not as plain. has more exercises but they aren't as difficult
--goes from 1A to 6

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/search?q=Sight+Reading+For+Today%3A+Piano+Grade
--matches along with the ABRSM guide, so you could technically prepare for that portion of the exam should you choose to participate...no real experience with this one myself, apologies...

There are a lot of 'exercise' books like these that get progressively harder. Go to a music store and look through them if you can. You pretty much can't go wrong with any of them as long as you learn correctly. Here are some of my own tips--

1) get a progressive repertoire series (Succeeding with the Masters, Keith Snell, etc etc etc), start at the first level, and slowly make your way through sight-reading them...

2) don't play the same song twice because, honestly, that defeats the purpose...

3) LEARN TO READ BY INTERVALS AND RECOGNIZE CHORDS... holy moly, that's probably the most important and only way to learn how to sight-read correctly... Do *not* look at the second note and say its name... instead, say how far it was from the start note.

eg, "Middle C, up a fifth, down a third, up a fifth, up a second," etc.

4) remember that rhythm proceeds all else... sight-read at a pace that means you aren't changing tempo at any time... playing the right note at the wrong time makes it wrong.

5) augment the repertoire books with one of the afore-linked series for little exercises...

6) LEARN TO RECOGNIZE PATTERNS... there is a book that I have in mind, but can't recall... the goal was to teach you many patterns before you even got to the piano, and once you did, you'd see them in the music... I'll try to find it.

7) do it daily! Sight-reading is probably the most difficult task when it comes down to it, and it requires all of your muscles to work together on-the-spot...doing it every day will make sure to 'exercise' that ability more than once a week...

8) THEORY!! http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/search?q=fundamentals+of+piano+theory If you learn your theory well, I believe that your sight-reading will improve by leaps and bounds... some may disagree, but I've experienced it and seen it work. Just make sure to do the theory AT THE PIANO and even if it is incredibly simple, USE THE PIANO with each step and exercise. It will reinforce everything mentioned above (intervals, chords, rhythm, linking notes with the keys, etc).

9) TRANSPOSE! Instead of learning the pieces all in the written key, try to learn them in another key. Or learn them in all the keys after you sight-read the first time. Whichever. This will force you to read by interval, but also to see the relationships between the notes and the keys. If you can do that, while sight-reading, you will definitely be a lot better when it comes to simply reading what's written. Highly important if you want to be a good sight-reader.

10) Last but not least (and really, probably not last either), sight-read in front of others if you can...preferably someone who is also a musician. This way you have the nerves against you (because chances are you're usually sight-reading FOR someone anyway), and if they are also a musician, someone who can listen to the music for accuracy and such while you focus on the playing.

GOOD LUCK!!

II
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.

#1419077 - 04/17/10 06:11 PM Re: Sight Reading Help [Re: ll]
Legal Beagle Offline
500 Post Club Member

II...

Thanks so much for your excellent post. That's the best response I've seen yet to the often-posed question about improving sight reading ability.

Quote:
6) LEARN TO RECOGNIZE PATTERNS... there is a book that I have in mind, but can't recall... the goal was to teach you many patterns before you even got to the piano, and once you did, you'd see them in the music... I'll try to find it.

If you're able to find it and post the title, I would be very appreciative.

Cheers!

#1419496 - 04/18/10 02:42 PM Re: Sight Reading Help [Re: Legal Beagle]
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The book is called "Patterns For Piano" (with a name like THAT, you wonder how I forgot it). It is from the "Artistry at the Piano" series.

http://www.artistryalliance.net/products/detailsID=39.html

Good luck!!
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.

#1419540 - 04/18/10 04:23 PM Re: Sight Reading Help [Re: ll]
Legal Beagle Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks very much, II. I'm intrigued by this idea (and as promised, I am grateful).

Best of luck in your quest to be a piano teacher... you were one for me today!

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
137 registered (Al LaPorte, accordeur, AmateurBob, Almaviva, 42 invisible), 1621 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74258 Members
42 Forums
153606 Topics
2251285 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Should I play piano with different tone setting?
by Clannad
04/20/14 01:53 PM
I just can't get my head around temperament!
by LarryShone
04/20/14 01:05 PM
clavinova clp 115
by rochoula
04/20/14 01:01 PM
DIsassemble Kawai MP10/MP11
by prox
04/20/14 10:59 AM
Action regulating
by pater57
04/20/14 08:59 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission