Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1420148 - 04/19/10 05:21 PM Re: your piano vs the teacher's piano, action and warmup [Re: Devane]
Bart Kinlein Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
I usually spend somne time with my DP before lessons as it feels more like the Yamaha my teacher uses. Similar touch, mainly. Sounds more like it as well, so I don't get a big surprise when I play the first note!

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1420416 - 04/20/10 03:09 AM Re: your piano vs the teacher's piano, action and warmup [Re: Devane]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
It is so reassuring to hear everyone has the same problems!
I was totally stunned the first time I played on the school piano (my teacher works in a middle school and I go there for my lessons). The piano is an old clunker, and the keys are really heavy (my digital is a Yamaha NP30, which is actually pretty light).... I also had one lesson at her home on her baby grand, which was lighter than the piano at the school but still heavy - and the music stand was very high as someone else mentioned above.

At my first lesson she told me that getting used to new keyboards is a pianist's bane, and just something to get used to. You can't take your own instrument with you (well, I snickered to myself, *I* can, 'cause it is portable lol.... ), but generally speaking she is certainly right.
I've only been taking lessons since January but I am noticing that it is getting easier to bounce between the two keyboards (I hope I get to play the baby grand again, that was so cool!)

I too notice that I really flub pieces more in front of the teacher. In part it is the keyboard, in part nerves. Not so much because *she* is watching me but because I have an audience. I know I have to get over the stage fright issues.

That's the emotional side of things. Logically, I have no problem with her observing me intently while I play - I really get alot out of her analysis of my errors and the tips she gives me even after I play something very short.

My teacher divides my playing into 2 parts - sometimes I play as the student, and then I play as the performer. I find that because she created these distinctions I feel more comfortable - I can tell her at the beginning of a lesson - ok, I'm still a student on this piece - or ok, I'm playing as a performer for you now!

I'm curious as to how long others who have contributed to this thread have been playing. I'm really new - less than 4 months - I expect to make mistakes .....in six months I will expect to make alot fewer mistakes.

#1420447 - 04/20/10 06:16 AM Re: your piano vs the teacher's piano, action and warmup [Re: Devane]
John_B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, UK
Just one after-thought.

I came back to the piano, after ~45 years away, last December and bought an oldish Technics digital piano on ebay as a cheap way of testing the water. When I found a teacher and started having lessons I was totally, absolutely thrown by the difference in touch - which made the lessons very difficult and totally frustrating. (I sometimes asked for 10-15 mins warm up, which helped a little.)

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Kawai CA63 and now I can very quickly acclimatise to my teacher's piano. The only thing that startles me is how loud it is compared to the way I set my DP. But that is something totally within my own control and now set the DP to a realist volume level for part of my practise time. (Of course, my ambition is to get a real piano in time.)

The nerves and anxiety to do my best is another matter though, but I joke with the teacher and that seems to ease the tension.

#1420557 - 04/20/10 11:18 AM Re: your piano vs the teacher's piano, action and warmup [Re: casinitaly]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: casinitaly
My teacher divides my playing into 2 parts - sometimes I play as the student, and then I play as the performer. I find that because she created these distinctions I feel more comfortable - I can tell her at the beginning of a lesson - ok, I'm still a student on this piece - or ok, I'm playing as a performer for you now!
That makes it easier. But then I get nervous when my teacher asks me to have a piece "performance-ready" for my next lesson.

I'm really new - less than 4 months - I expect to make mistakes .....in six months I will expect to make alot fewer mistakes.
Oh, no. You'll still be making a lot of mistakes, just on more difficult pieces! grin

#1420580 - 04/20/10 12:03 PM Re: your piano vs the teacher's piano, action and warmup [Re: MaryBee]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: MaryBee

I'm really new - less than 4 months - I expect to make mistakes .....in six months I will expect to make alot fewer mistakes.
Oh, no. You'll still be making a lot of mistakes, just on more difficult pieces! grin

Yes, of course! That's what I meant lol.

And actually my teacher doesn't stress me too much - I think she sees that I stress myself plenty - more than I should! She's trying to get me to lighten up and develop some realistic expectations. With the pieces she gives me I'd say about half of them I can usually "perform" for her at the end of a week, and the other half I need help with, and they take longer.

#1421092 - 04/21/10 06:36 AM Re: your piano vs the teacher's piano, action and warmup [Re: Devane]
Harpsichord Offline

Loc: US
I thought i'm the only one having this problem. Yes unlike violinist or etc, they can carry their own instrument for lesson. For us, we have to adapt to it.

I will usually warm up before I go for my lesson like one of the user mention, scale, etc... and hannon.

I usually complain my teacher key is too soft while her other student complain it's too hard.

Haha I guess it's because my piano touch is heavier and crappier (I dunno how to explain but it's a second hand piano)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai CE220 CA65 cabinet vibrations
by origen
09/23/14 04:43 PM
Baldwin 243 for Grade 4 students - Advice please!
by LeslieG
09/23/14 04:39 PM
Exorcist movie main theme
by Danijelcro
09/23/14 12:03 PM
Free Cunningham Piano Company Grand Piano
by Rich D.
09/23/14 11:05 AM
Baldwin capo: a metallic-buzz sound generating system
by A443
09/23/14 11:00 AM
Who's Online
143 registered (ajames, accordeur, anotherscott, 45 invisible), 1653 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76290 Members
42 Forums
157711 Topics
2316593 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission