2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Kidders Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi all, following my previous threads on choosing between the Kawai ES6 and Yamaha P155. I am nearing a decision based on the following:

The piano sample on the Kawai is much nicer, the Yamaha is so bright and cutting it actually hurts my ears when using headphones.
Also, I think the action on the Kawai is slightly more expressive.
However, the big minus point for the Kawai is the other, non-piano samples, which are dire! The church organ sounds like a wheezing emphysema sufferer. The harpsichord is poor too compared with the Yamaha. Also, the Yamaha has a lovely, warm, nylon guitar sample.

Anyway, as I will be primarily using piano, it would seem the Kawai is the way to go.

Now, my question is, I believe it is possible to get other external sound samples on one's computer, connect the keyboard to the computer and then on to a sound system (in my case a denon hifi). This would solve the problem of the crappy on-board samples on the Kawai. However, being a complete technophobe, I haven't got the first clue how to do any of this!!

Can anyone help? Where can I get good (cheap) samples do download? How do I connect the keyboard to the laptop to control the sounds and then on to the hifi (which has usb and standard aux inputs).

Thanks!

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Kidders, you're right the sounds other than the pianos are sub-par on KAWAI DPs.

Due to being "technophobe" smile I would probably go buying and additional MIDI-Expander. This is a box of hardware that has additional sounds built in. You can easily connect it to the piano by MIDI In/Out! It's really plug and play! There are several models available nowadays, you can also check for some from Yamaha to get the preferred Yamaha sound. I'm not up-to-date on the current available models, so maybe someone else can jump in here!

<~ don't test forever - play and enjoy! ~>
K
Kidders Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks for the advice Kawaian. I have googled some prices but they look like expensive bits of kit. However, I have just had a thought that you may be able to advise me on. The CL35 is £400 cheaper than the ES6 and as far as I can see has the same piano sampling speakers and keyboard action as the ES6. So if I got that, I would have the same basic features as the ES6 with some money left over to spend on a MIDI expander. Are my assumptions on the CL35 correct? I guess I really don't need the portability of the ES6.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
As far as I know CL35 has the identical keyboard action (AHA IV-F). Regarding sound the only drawback I could see is that it has only 96 notes polyphony compared to the 192 notes polyphony of the ES6. I don't know if this is a problem in daily play.

So yes, if you're fine with this you could save 400 for a decent MIDI expander.

Edit:

I checked for current modules:

If you like the Yamaha sound then this module would be my dream solution, it also includes great Yamaha-style piano sounds:
YAMAHA MOTIF RACK XS
http://www.thomann.de/de/yamaha_motif_rack_xs.htm
It's quite expensive (1,349 Euro), but IMHO worth it!

If you're on a budget, I would definitely check eBay for used stuff:
Yamaha MOTIF-RACK ES MIDI Sound Module (the predessesor of the above):
http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-MOTIF-RA...mQQptZKeyboards_MIDI?hash=item2559fdda7d
$599 incl. shipping

Or, if you're even more on a budget, something like this:
YAMAHA MU80 MIDI Synth Tone Generator
http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-MU80-MID...mQQptZKeyboards_MIDI?hash=item27b0c27df7
$149

Last edited by kawaian; 04/15/10 08:05 AM.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kidders, the CL35 and ES6 use different speaker systems, however they do indeed share the same keyboard action and piano sound technology (Harmonic Imaging, 88-key sampling).

If you do not require portability, nor the additional features of the ES6, the CL35 would probably be a better instrument to go for. In addition, you'll have a matching stand and three pedals as standard.

Hardware-based MIDI expanders were very popular a decade or so ago, however I believe much of their functionality has been replaced by software instruments, with the added benefit of greater flexibility and often cost.

Good luck!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You might want to consider a Mac, they're pretty much plug and play too and possibly cheaper than a dedicated sound module which can be pretty expensive. A Mac Mini can be had for about £500 (plus monitor and keyboard but you can probably use any you already have) That will come with Garageband a music app that can be used for midi arrangements, audio and digital recording and performance and comes with a wide range of decent instruments. Others can be added quite cheaply. On top of that you'll need a USB cable (if your DP has USB out) or a USB to Midi converter (£10 to £20)

You could also use a WIndows computer but but they can be tricky to set up, I gave up trying to get my wifes XP laptop to work with my controller. With a Mac you just plug in and it works. Plus you'd probably need a new soundcard with a Windows machine, they rarely come with one good enough for music production. Macs are generally good enough out of the box.

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
...and now the ultimate budget solution with even less money than most expanders and the MacBook:

Buy a Netbook! Even a cheap one will do, just check that the included soundcard is of decent quality and does not introduce noise.

Cost: About 250$, nothing more.

Regarding software, you can download a freeware sequencer like Garageband, there are excellent freeware sequencers with VST support. Then you can choose between thousands of software instrument add-ons, there's plenty to choose from.

In most cases you don't need an additional soundcard, for low latency (so that you can play the sounds without latency) you can download ASIO4all.

Connect the Netbook to your DP by USB, driver will be installed automatically, and ready you are!

Originally Posted by mucci

Regarding software, you can download a freeware sequencer like Garageband, there are excellent freeware sequencers with VST support. Then you can choose between thousands of software instrument add-ons, there's plenty to choose from.

Just to avoid confusion: GarageBand is part of Apple's iLife, and apart from being Mac-Only also definitely not freeware (iLife costs $79 if you buy it separately). However, you get a free licence with every Mac you buy.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Maybe my statement was a little bit misleading: I mean with a Netbook (with Windows 7 as OS) you can download freeware sequencers which are similar to Garageband. I'm talking about a Windows system, not a MAC.

K
Kidders Offline OP
OP Offline
K
@mucci - So with my existing laptop, I can download these freeware sequencers, then run a midi to usb from my keyboard to the laptop and then on to the stereo? BTW, what's the best way to link laptop to the stereo? I'm such a technophobe, I'm not even sure how to do that! Is it USB to the stereo red and white inputs?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kidders
@mucci - So with my existing laptop, I can download these freeware sequencers, then run a midi to usb from my keyboard to the laptop and then on to the stereo? BTW, what's the best way to link laptop to the stereo? I'm such a technophobe, I'm not even sure how to do that! Is it USB to the stereo red and white inputs?

Yup you can certainly use your existing laptop but as I said earlier you will almost certainly need a USB soundcard/interface like M-Audio Fastrack Pro

http://www.amazon.co.uk/M-Audio-990...lectronics&qid=1271341638&sr=8-1

and be prepared that you might have to do some troubleshooting before you get it working.

The soundcard will have line out jacks that you use to connect to amp/speakers.

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
@mucci - So with my existing laptop, I can download these freeware sequencers, then run a midi to usb from my keyboard to the laptop and then on to the stereo?

Exactly! With virtually no additional costs, if you have the cables ready.

BTW, what's the best way to link laptop to the stereo? I'm such a technophobe, I'm not even sure how to do that! Is it USB to the stereo red and white inputs?

smile

First thing is: USB of the keyboard to any of the USB connections of the laptop. Then wait a little bit until the laptop (is it Windows 7 or Vista?) reports that the driver was installed successfully. Now you're ready to go, install whatever sequencer or VST instrument you like.

To actually hear the sound, you can of course use the internal speakers of your laptop, but for obvious reasons this is only useful for a quick test if it works at all... I'm sure your laptop has a standard headphone out (or maybe also a line-out which is preferable). You then need an appropriate audio cable: 3.5mm stereo to whatever the input plugs of the amplifier are (mostly 3.5mm left/right cinch). Then just select the right input selector on your amplifier, put it on and - there you are! If you don't hear anything, please check if you've set the volumen on the laptop to maximum - just experiment with that a little, so that it is loud enough but no distortion appears.

Oh, and don't forget to install ASIO4all (www.asio4all.org).

Last edited by mucci; 04/15/10 10:30 AM.

K
Kidders Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Haha! Sorry about that, I think you can see that I'm really not much good with technology!

That's really helpful advice. My laptop is pretty new and runs Windows 7. If I can get good instrument samples for free with these freeware sequencers then I can stick with my original plan of getting the Kawai ES6 which is good news! Is there a particular sequencer you would recommend? I've had a quick google and there seem to be lots out there. My main criteria is a reasonable selection of good quality instrument samples, including classical guitar.

Thanks again for all your help!

K
Kidders Offline OP
OP Offline
K
@BazC - blimey! That soundcard usb thinggy is a bit pricy! Will I not just get away with using the headphones socket on the laptop or will that compromise sound quality?

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I would recommend REAPER:

http://cockos.com/reaper/

This one is actually not freeware, but it is a superb sequencer and it has a unique business model: You can test it with absolutely no limitations, there is no protection whatsoever. If you finally decide to buy it, it costs you only 60$ for non-commercial or small business commercial use which is really cheap.

To answer your other question:
A sequencer itself ususally does not contain instruments, but if the sequencer supports VSTi, then you can choose from whatever freeqare VSTi that are available.

So this is the way to go:

1: Install a sequencer which is kind of a vehicle to load the actual instruments "VSTi"

2: Get VSTi and add them to the sequencer

This could be a starting place to search for your favorite freeware VSTi:

http://www.vst4free.com/

R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I second the Reaper solution.

Also check out kvraudio.com and Hitsquad.com for free and low cost vstis

Rob
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
@BazC - blimey! That soundcard usb thinggy is a bit pricy! Will I not just get away with using the headphones socket on the laptop or will that compromise sound quality?

That's a cheap one! smile I don't have any experience of these, I use the built in sound card of my Mac, I just know that nearly every Windows user uses and external soundcard or upgrades the internal one (probably not possible on your laptop?)

But try the built in card to begin with, just be prepared that it may not be up to the job.

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Yes, I second that. But if that's not working then there are much cheaper solutions as the above mentioned. You don't need to shell out more than, say, 50 Euros.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mucci
Yes, I second that. But if that's not working then there are much cheaper solutions as the above mentioned. You don't need to shell out more than, say, 50 Euros.

Can you recommend a cheap one? I've not found anything much cheaper than that M-Audio.

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
K
Kidders Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks for that guys.

I think I'll get some cables and have a play around with a cheap old Yamaha PSR keyboard I have at home and some of those free downloads before I make a decision on the my new DP.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission