Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1418147 - 04/15/10 07:38 PM Teachers' Workshops in NJ
chasingrainbows Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
Does anyone know how I find out if there are any pedagogy workshops in NJ? I've googled and checked NJMTA and the National MTA as well with no luck. I'm looking for continuing education. I have a BA in Music Ed, but really was not trained in how to teach piano, but rather, how to teach music in schools. It is a broad based degree. The one pedagogy course that I took was of no use at all--we basically learned about method books and how to compare scores. I've gained most of my education from the excellent professors I had in college, however, college-level piano lessons don't always work when teaching beginners, especially little ones! I've purchased a multidue of books, but I really learn best when I am in a classroom situation. Books just don't sink in for me.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1418218 - 04/15/10 10:47 PM Re: Teachers' Workshops in NJ [Re: chasingrainbows]
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Rider University - Westminster College of the Arts - Continuing Education

Saturday Seminars
One-day workshops for professional and amateur musicians, music educators and music lovers offered on seven Saturdays throughout the academic year. Instructors are Westminster artist faculty as well as noted guest artists and pedagogues.

Summer Seminars
One of the nation’s oldest summer programs for professional and amateur musicians. One and two-week seminars presented by leaders in the field, focus on a broad range of programs and disciplines. Graduate credit is available.

Piano Pedagogy Certificate
A program for piano teachers who want to improve their musical skills, enhance their credentials and expand their professional development. Appropriate for pianists who are currently teaching or who would like to return to teaching.

You might find this helpful:
Dr. Martha Beth Lewis
A large number of text-based guides on specific piano-pedagogy topics by a recognized expert,
covering such areas as general pedagogy, teaching rhythm, note reading, artistry, practice techniques, ornamentation, children, adults, beginners, recitals and memorizing, competitions, business practices in the private music studio, copyright issues and much more
http://www.serve.com/marbeth/pedagogy.html

And, there is an online study with Beth Klingenstine that I do not have the link at the moment. Search here with "online" or "pedagogy" or her name". If you can't find it, I'll post again with that information.

Best wishes.

Betty

#1420231 - 04/19/10 08:07 PM Re: Teachers' Workshops in NJ [Re: Betty Patnude]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Betty Patnude
Rider University - Westminster College of the Arts - Continuing Education

Saturday Seminars
One-day workshops for professional and amateur musicians, music educators and music lovers offered on seven Saturdays throughout the academic year. Instructors are Westminster artist faculty as well as noted guest artists and pedagogues.

Summer Seminars
One of the nation’s oldest summer programs for professional and amateur musicians. One and two-week seminars presented by leaders in the field, focus on a broad range of programs and disciplines. Graduate credit is available.

Piano Pedagogy Certificate
A program for piano teachers who want to improve their musical skills, enhance their credentials and expand their professional development. Appropriate for pianists who are currently teaching or who would like to return to teaching.

You might find this helpful:
Dr. Martha Beth Lewis
A large number of text-based guides on specific piano-pedagogy topics by a recognized expert,
covering such areas as general pedagogy, teaching rhythm, note reading, artistry, practice techniques, ornamentation, children, adults, beginners, recitals and memorizing, competitions, business practices in the private music studio, copyright issues and much more
http://www.serve.com/marbeth/pedagogy.html

And, there is an online study with Beth Klingenstine that I do not have the link at the moment. Search here with "online" or "pedagogy" or her name". If you can't find it, I'll post again with that information.

Best wishes.

Betty

Hi Betty, thanks for going above and beyond as always in replying to my post. I actually have looked into this. I am not interested in expending another huge amount of money and time for a Pedag. Cert. It took me a million years and a million dollars (a slight exaggeration) to get my BA in Music Ed. and I have already taken most of the courses involved. The Sat. Seminars so far have not offered the type of workshops I am interested in, but hopefully in the future, that will change. I will check out the other resources you mentioned. Sorry for taking so long to get back to you!

#1421575 - 04/21/10 07:12 PM Re: Teachers' Workshops in NJ [Re: chasingrainbows]
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Certainly, you're welcome, Irene!

If not for you, then maybe someone else can take an interest in some of these happenings for piano teachers in New Jersey area.

It's great the way resources get passed along.

Hope you find what you need and get right to it. I'd like some of the same kinds of things in my area.

Betty

#1423066 - 04/24/10 01:25 AM Re: Teachers' Workshops in NJ [Re: Betty Patnude]
Minaku Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta
I'm trying to understand what you want. You want to take a regular, continuing class but do not want to get a degree?

(I ask because I am from NJ and am rather familiar with a good deal of the teachers in central NJ.)

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina

#1423241 - 04/24/10 11:00 AM Re: Teachers' Workshops in NJ [Re: Minaku]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Go observe lessons and classes at the New School.

#1424091 - 04/25/10 07:11 PM Re: Teachers' Workshops in NJ [Re: Minaku]
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minaku
I'm trying to understand what you want. You want to take a regular, continuing class but do not want to get a degree?

(I ask because I am from NJ and am rather familiar with a good deal of the teachers in central NJ.)

I do have a degree in Music Education, however, which included all the harmony levels, various one-semester courses in various instruments, music history, etc. It really didn't prepare me to teach the various levels/ages/personalities in private piano lessons. I know experience is a great teacher, as well as the lessons we learn from our piano teachers. However, I'm interested in workshops that offer ideas to hold children's interest, teaching technique to younger children, etc. My one pedagogy class unfortunately focused on picking a method and reporting on it, and comparing editions of a sonata. Not very helpful. I plan to sit in on some lessons at the New School, but was hoping for something more formal. It looks to me like you have to register for a semester at Westminster, when I actually just want to take a course or two.

#1424124 - 04/25/10 07:58 PM Re: Teachers' Workshops in NJ [Re: chasingrainbows]
Minaku Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You can't register for post-bac classes as part time? Hmm.

Does Ingrid Clarfield still teach classes at Westminster? If not, the entire piano faculty is really wonderful and any of them would be more than adequate. I have good memories of Mrs. Clarfield and Mrs. Lehrer, both of whom I can credit with inspiring me to become a teacher in the first place.

Really what I think you're looking for are workshops that would be found at a teachers' convention. Check the NJMEA/NJMTA and other organizations that may hold yearly conventions.

#1424268 - 04/26/10 12:40 AM Re: Teachers' Workshops in NJ [Re: Minaku]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Ingrid had a stroke. Not sure how much she is teaching.

#1424390 - 04/26/10 08:51 AM Re: Teachers' Workshops in NJ [Re: Minniemay]
Minaku Offline
1000 Post Club Member

She had a stroke and that precludes her from using her left hand, but she's still been up and around teaching. I saw her two years ago at a teaching convention.

But it's been two years; I don't know if she has continued to lead her life the same way.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
175 registered (36251, accordeur, ABC Vermonter, A Guy, 50 invisible), 1802 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74313 Members
42 Forums
153703 Topics
2253280 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Art of the Sound Clip
by Jolly
04/24/14 02:52 PM
5 Abstract Studies
by Simon Hester
04/24/14 02:37 PM
Chopin Prelude in C Minor
by arty
04/24/14 02:14 PM
Question for shigeru owners.. what sounded similar ?
by Brother Methias
04/24/14 01:51 PM
Amazing Grace piano duet
by Erkamurka
04/24/14 12:47 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission