Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1417823 - 04/15/10 11:04 AM Pianists and relationships
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Ever dated another pianist? How did that go? Did it ever get competitive; did you ever argue about music topics/each other's playing?

Not sure if this belongs here, but it IS called pianist corner so I figured it's ok.. =P

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1417842 - 04/15/10 11:25 AM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: Pogorelich.]
acortot Offline

Loc: Italy
I did, but I play a few instruments, have a bit of experience as an arranger and producer and know something about making music in general, not just limited to the piano..

..but I do have the advantage of not really a pianist, so I would never be able to compete in the first place..and I don't get jelous either.

Edited by acortot (04/15/10 11:34 AM)

An Article on the unusual makeup of original Pleyel hammers, during Chopin's lifetime:

http://acortot.blogspot.it/2012/07/pleyel-hammers-in-chopin-era-i-martelli.html

#1417845 - 04/15/10 11:31 AM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: Pogorelich.]
heidiv Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: piano bench, usually
Originally Posted By: AngelinaPogorelich
Ever dated another pianist?

Nope. I guess you'd need a clipboard hanging on the wall to sign up for piano time, like for the treadmills at the health club.
"Okay honey, you get 6:00-7:00, then I get 7:00-8:00." laugh

I've heard it said in jest that the secret to a happy marriage is separate bathrooms and separate bank accounts. Perhaps if 2 pianists were a couple, separate pianos in separate soundproofed rooms might be necessary too!

#1417862 - 04/15/10 11:45 AM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: heidiv]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
reminds me of a joke:

This guy walks into a bar, pulls out a tiny piano and stool, and a tiny little man. The tiny man sits down, and starts to play the piano. This other guy notices it. "Hey, what's that?"

"A twelve-inch pianist. Ya see, I found this magic lamp, rubbed it, made a wish, I got a twelve inch pianist."

"Can I try?" The man with the piano agrees and a minute later, a million ducks fill the room.

"Ducks? I didn't wish for a million ducks, I wished for a million bucks!"

"Ya think I really wished for a twelve inch pianist?"

#1417864 - 04/15/10 11:53 AM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: heidiv]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: heidiv

I've heard it said in jest that the secret to a happy marriage is separate bathrooms and separate bank accounts. Perhaps if 2 pianists were a couple, separate pianos in separate soundproofed rooms might be necessary too!

Yup.. either that or hopefully we'll both have studios at the schools we teach.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1417901 - 04/15/10 12:41 PM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: Pogorelich.]
fuzzy8balls Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Are you trying to hit on me Angelina?

#1417917 - 04/15/10 12:55 PM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: fuzzy8balls]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Hahaha.. I never intentionally hit on people.. =)

#1417942 - 04/15/10 01:29 PM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: Pogorelich.]
fuzzy8balls Offline

Hehe I'm just kidding -- I actually did date a pianist for a little bit.

What was funny is that she never wanted to play piano or listen to any type of classical music with me. She just wanted to go out and have fun at the beach, eat hamburgers, go to movies, etc. She wasn't even interested in hearing me play at all.

Honestly I think I practiced even more than she did while I am working a full time systems engineering job. She liked to take pictures of food she cooks and do other stuff. I think she was probably just disillusioned with piano and the music field in general.

#1418052 - 04/15/10 04:36 PM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: fuzzy8balls]
MegumiNoda Offline

A romantic relationship between two people who participate in the same highly specialized area has both benefits and pitfalls.

Pros:
+ You understand what each other might be going through.
+ You share a serious common interest, and most likely, a similar outlook on everything else because this interest is such a big part of your life.
+ You have one more person whom you trust and who is close to you to give you really honest feedback on your performances -- this feedback may be more valuable than from your teacher because you are closer to each other.
+ You can learn vicariously from each other's experiences.

Cons:
- Competition: Even if you are not particularly competitive in nature, situations may force it upon you.
- On a related note, unless you live in a metropolis like NYC, it may be hard to find a place where both of you can have unhindered career advancement. This is especially true if both of you have identical aspirations. It's more workable if one person wants something slightly different (my piano teacher's husband, for example, focuses more on composing while she focuses more on teaching and performing).

It's only based on anecdotal evidences, but I think the pros outweigh the cons.

[addendum: chances are, you will argue about music at some time. But if you are together, it must mean that you already respect each other. Then, it's much easier to "agree to disagree."]

Edited by MegumiNoda (04/15/10 04:53 PM)

#1418066 - 04/15/10 05:12 PM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: Pogorelich.]
Damon Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
After much memory searching, I think I can safely say I've never even dated a musician.

#1418070 - 04/15/10 05:14 PM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: Damon]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
I dated a pianist. smile And we got along fine. We're still good friends today.

#1418088 - 04/15/10 05:35 PM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: Orange Soda King]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Hmm.. interesting stories.

Is anyone married to another pianist? I wonder what that's like!

#1418115 - 04/15/10 06:45 PM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: Pogorelich.]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there

You could marry me and find out. =p=p=p

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1418116 - 04/15/10 06:49 PM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: Pogorelich.]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I can think of a few very successful pianist couples:

Misha and Cipa Dichter

Elisabeth and Eugene Pridonoff

John and Nancy Weems

Alvin Chow and Angela Cheng

I also know of a few couples who didn't make it, which probably means that pianist couples are just like all the other couples in the world. Some make it, some don't.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1418117 - 04/15/10 06:52 PM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: Kreisler]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

So Angela and Andre are done for sure?

#1418120 - 04/15/10 06:54 PM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: stores]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: stores

You could marry me and find out. =p=p=p

you can have it out with my man =P

#1418127 - 04/15/10 07:02 PM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: Pogorelich.]
fuzzy8balls Offline

haha go stores!

#1418128 - 04/15/10 07:03 PM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: Pogorelich.]
LisztAddict Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
In the next piano competition for amateurs in Chicago, there are 2 couples of husbands and wives competing. I've seen a few sparks in amateur piano competitions; nothing to do with me though. laugh

#1418184 - 04/15/10 09:23 PM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: LisztAddict]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

For me it's been interesting dating a pianist for almost 2 years now. I've always known him as the piano God around here because he's so good.. and I knew him for 5 years before we went out. So I think because of that I never feel competitive. (also, because he's a guy and is 4 years older haha). I've learned so much from him about music and we had duo coachings with his teacher who is INCREDIBLE.

Unfortunately we're aiming for the same job - position at a university, so I don't know how that's going to be. The good thing is, he's heading for performing solo mostly, and I want to do more collab and teaching.

Also being with someone who is so much better than you drives you to get better.. which I have, I think.. I recently won a competition that I wouldn't have had a chance at 2 years ago =) We do fight and we've ripped each other's performances to shreds and I threw a score at him last year before a duo concert.. but it's all good in the end!

#1418188 - 04/15/10 09:29 PM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: Pogorelich.]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I'd think twice before applying for the same job. One of my graduate advisors used to warn us away from that because we tended to look very similar on paper and might "cancel each other out."

And be careful how you handle interviews. Be sure you come across as "If you hire me, you also get him - an excellent accompanist. Two pianists for the price of one!" You don't want to come across as "I'll work for you until one of us gets a better job or someone hires us both."
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1418191 - 04/15/10 09:34 PM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: Kreisler]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Not for the same job at the same university hopefully... But yeah I know it'll be tough =( Although I don't have to worry about that for at least 7 years!

#1418192 - 04/15/10 09:35 PM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: LisztAddict]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
These pianists aren't the superstars (yet), but how about Dmitri and Anna Shelest? Anna is a wonderfully talented artist who has released a great Rachmaninoff CD many here seem to be familiar with, and Dmitri is also a wonderful pianist, although he doesn't seem to be as big into the performing as she is.

#1418195 - 04/15/10 09:39 PM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: Orange Soda King]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

So the woman has a good career as opposed to the man? Hey that gives me hope =) Maybe I won't end up teaching 4 year olds where middle C is for a living.. (I envy anyone who is great with kids though! Just not my thing).

#1418199 - 04/15/10 10:01 PM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: Pogorelich.]
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Central Texas
Not only did I date a pianist, I married her! We have TWO pianos in the house, but she almost never plays anymore. She was a better sight reader, I was better at improvisation -- worked out for both of us (been married for over 40 years now).

Ed

YouTube Channel

#1418200 - 04/15/10 10:05 PM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: epf]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: epf
Not only did I date a pianist, I married her! We have TWO pianos in the house, but she almost never plays anymore. She was a better sight reader, I was better at improvisation -- worked out for both of us (been married for over 40 years now).

Ed

That is soooo sweet!

#1418213 - 04/15/10 10:28 PM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: Pogorelich.]
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Nope, never dated a musician. Then again, I don't think I would qualify for that label either. smile

My wife is rather good with a very sharp blade, so I wouldn't want to get too competitive. grin
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1418223 - 04/15/10 10:57 PM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: Piano*Dad]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Well, my husband was reluctant to watch Shine because he said the synopsis made it sound too much like real life - - -

#1418236 - 04/15/10 11:38 PM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: Kreisler]
MegumiNoda Offline

Originally Posted By: Kreisler

And be careful how you handle interviews. Be sure you come across as "If you hire me, you also get him - an excellent accompanist. Two pianists for the price of one!" You don't want to come across as "I'll work for you until one of us gets a better job or someone hires us both."

Negotiating dual careers in academia (sometimes also known as the "two body problem" amongst the science-oriented set) is tricky, to say the least. I imagine it's even trickier for musicians than science/tech-oriented couples. Although it's not exactly the same thing, the OP might be interested in some of the links collected at this webpage:

http://www.phds.org/jobs/the-two-body-problem/

#1418239 - 04/15/10 11:47 PM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: -Frycek]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
My significant 'other' is English Lit oriented. We're both Anglican, but there is never any discussion about my abilities (very fine I fancy) as a church organist, mostly confined to comments about The Book of Common Prayer. (Whole 'nother story and hotly debated on a different board.)

We have had some intense interaction regarding Shakespeare, though...

#1418311 - 04/16/10 06:28 AM Re: Pianists and relationships [Re: argerichfan]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Actually my first love was an organist. I was sixteen. He was twenty-four. We were in an amateur opera company together. My parents wouldn't let him take me out so we would sit on the sofa in my parents' living room and listen to old Mario Lanza recordings. How old fashioned is that?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
150 registered (ando, accordeur, 36251, alfredo capurso, 52 invisible), 1700 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74300 Members
42 Forums
153683 Topics
2252781 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Cover of Luke Bryan "Drink a Beer"
by Zach Evans
Today at 05:36 PM
Boris Slutsky to perform at PianoCraft on May 3
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 05:06 PM
Boris Slutsky to perform at PianoCraft May 3
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 05:05 PM
Hi Mr S-H and all
by Seaside_Lee
Today at 04:13 PM
A Steinway for under 1,500...
by Juln
Today at 04:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission