2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Barly, 1957, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 1,918 guests, and 356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well Snazzy, if we also add Roland to the equation then it appears that the Top 3 DP manufacturers all use firmware updates as their current best practice method to further improve their products after market introduction. If you don't like that then you'd better buy an AP. People tend to love them, partly due to the fact that they never are/remain really perfect. smirk cool

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TADutchman
Well, if we also add Roland to the equation then it appears that the Top 3 DP manufacturers all use firmware updates as their current best practice method to further improve their products after market introduction.

Personally, I think Kawai was fixing problems, as discussed in this thread, and others...getting rid of crackling noises and other troubles, is not what I call adding improvements...more like repairing problems.

You, no doubt, are a Kawai owner...I can understand your defensiveness...that's cool, and nothing to be ashamed of. wink

I already own an acoustic piano, a Steinway B, and apart from needing to tune it, which I dislike immensely, it is a rather nice piano.

However, I believe a Yamaha Avant Grand (next generation) will be my next major purchase....up until then, my humble Yamaha P-85 (which has needed no firmware repairs) will suffice nicely.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Well, regarding P85...

http://www.audioforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26046

Okay, okay, it's not easy to find any flaw for P85 smile

<~ don't test forever - play and enjoy! ~>
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Snazzy, I find your generalising remarks about brand owners amusing, because it reminds me a bit of the ancient Commodore against Atari user wars, but at that time I was like 12 years old. By the way, is it even allowed to also own Yamaha gear? grin

Although I like the Avant Grand series (not the price), I have to warn you already now that the next generation will probably not be without any flaws during market introduction. This is because products are getting much more complex than your P85 sick wink

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Snazzy, P85 is uncomplicated digital piano, it has no damper pedal resonance, no string resonance, no multiple velocity samples, no key-off, no pedal up, no pedal-down. Actually it has only one interesting feature - stereo samples. That's why it is highly unlikely that something gets wrong with that single feature since it is a reliable technology from the early digital synthesizers of 1980-s and used for thousands of sounds, not just pianos. On the other hand, CA63 and more advanced pianos have a lot of piano-specific features which interact with each other and it is more likely that something gets uncaught during the quality assurance process since it involves quite complex scenarios. So, it's up to the personal preference:

- A simplistic piano with dated technology working flawlessly, with no need and hence no possibility to be updated.
- A realistic piano with modern technology that may eventually exhibit some flaws but it can be easiliy fixed and updated.

You chose the former, I would choose the latter. There is something for everybody smile An the world is happy place smile

Last edited by CyberGene; 04/16/10 09:33 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
TADutchman, that reminds me of old days when I was young...

My very first keyboard back in 1985 was a CASIO (!) CZ101, which was great because it was one of the first with MIDI build in, and I connected it to my Atari 600XL (sic!) with a DIY MIDI interface, which was kind of tricky since there was almost no information about the technical specification. Those were the old days!

Next was the legendary Roland MT-32, which was a great piece of MIDI expander! Followed by Kawai K1, Korg M1, Roland JV-1010 and others.

Nowadays I only have software synths and some software pianos, other than my beloved Kawai CA63 as input device (it's such a great improvement over the Fatar Studiologic SL990). But currently I usually only play piano... that's most satisfying.

(Ooops, I sound like my own grandfather...)

J
J
There is no such thing as a 'perfect software release' without hidden bugs or unintended interactions that lead to problems. Even multi-million dollar communication networks with 99.999% availability and reliability have software bugs that are regularly fixed and released as patches.

Mostly due to the internet, software companies can easily release fixes as problems are discovered. If Roland, Kawai, Yamaha, or ..., find a problem in their product, then I surely want (and expect) a fix. This is not "deplorable" behavior, but is rather a good way of doing business.

Roland HP-307
Roland Quad-Capture

https://vimeo.com/58278342
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mucci
Well, regarding P85...

http://www.audioforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26046

Okay, okay, it's not easy to find any flaw for P85 smile

I've had no issues with MIDI...I use the P-85 to control my arranger/workstation.

The P-85 is rugged, and stands up to a lot of use...I've had no problems with crackling noises, or noisy loose keys...the former would render an instrument unplayable, while the later would just be inconvenient...I've had to deal with neither.

I get kidded about being a pro and using a beginners piano, like the P-85...until they hear it being played, especially through the Logitechs...it weighs only 25 lbs, and is a marvelous gigging instrument.

All the pedal noises and key off sounds that manufacturers add to the digital piano, were basically flaws in the acoustic pianos...I can live without them...we always tried to mask them as much as possible in the studio when recording an acoustic.

I like to to shut that racket off, if possible, on any digital I play...I didn't buy an electronic piano to hear the flaws they couldn't hide in an acoustic.

Snazzy

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
It sounds interesting to me as you described it. Could you post solo recordings you've done with it?

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by snazzyplayer
All the pedal noises and key off sounds that manufacturers add to the digital piano, were basically flaws in the acoustic pianos...I can live without them...we always tried to mask them as much as possible in the studio when recording an acoustic.

I like to to shut that racket off, if possible, on any digital I play...I didn't buy an electronic piano to hear the flaws they couldn't hide in an acoustic.

Agreed... but this doesn't apply to pedal down resonance and string resonance at all. This is a must-have for me. Without this a piano usually sounds quite sterile.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by CyberGene
It sounds interesting to me as you described it. Could you post solo recordings you've done with it?

I'm sure P85 sounds amazing - Yamaha is known for a very clear sound within a mix.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene

I don't post my stuff on a public forum...but you can easily hear the P-85 on YouTube by entering "Yamaha P-85" (without the quotation marks, of course}.

I've been using the arranger/workstation these past few months...it's a nice change from playing the piano only.

Snazzy

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Been using the same DP for nearly 10 years. Never needed a firmware update. [Linked Image] Gotta say it irks me when a company releases a DP and <***edited***> to make it work right.

Anyway, I'll get to try a CA63 within the next few days. Too bad the store doesn't also have a CA93.

Last edited by BB Player; 05/04/10 08:21 PM. Reason: Edited out profanity
Snazzy,

You can enjoy your flawless P85, myself playing P80 for 10 years,
I got used to its limitations, it is time to upgrade, don't you think?
I am going for Kawai CA63 or maybe CA93 thanks to many enthusiastic reviews on this forum.
For a quarter price of AvantGrand one could have three additional upgrades in Kawai CA line,
while AvangGarnd could stay unchanged like P85 for years if you find it flawless as well,
before committing just read about Yamaha GT2 and its problems with sound module.
By the way with your arranger/workstation setup, do you play any classical music?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission