2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
Guess what, I finally developed some strategy thanks to everyone's help here.. Apparently I will try out all 3 models tomorrow again. Right now the only slight preference I have is T118 (yes, my preference changed in a single day, I said I prefer p22 or ust-9 earlier today). So if tomorrow my amateur ear is again telling me the same thing, plus I really like the looks of t118 better, then I will try to negotiate with the dealer to give me the same discount as she offered to me for a M460(3760 plus tax). M460 has the same MSRP as T118, do not know why she priced t118 $200 more for me.

The reason of my strategy is below

1. forget my personal preference for a second, no absolute ranking for those 3 models, not a single one is outstanding according to all my different sources,
2, because of 1, pick the cheapest, especially according to pianobuy.com t118 and p2 internally are the same, delivering the same result( let's forget individual variation for a second)
3. I like the looks of t118, which is the only absolute preference or ranking I have

Any warnings or comments before I take action on this tomorrow?

Thank you so much for all your thoughts, this is really a nice forum and you guys are the best. I will post my final decision for whoever will be interested or whoever might run into the same dilemma...

The differences I have felt between the P22 and the T118 are the action is better on the P22 and the tone is more even. I was told that the P22 receives more prepping and voicing at the factory than the T118 and is a thicker and more substantial piano than the T118 so that schools and institutions will approve. The things could be minutae to you, but they were not to me.

Last edited by choleric; 04/15/10 09:49 PM.

Choleric
Yamaha CVP307 digital piano
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
marathon, you seem to be doing it right. It's basically a situation where you can't go wrong. Whichever of those you buy will be a good piano for you. If you have no preference for tone or touch, looks and price is as good a way to go as any, IMHO.

Gary
T
T
Marathon, I think you will be fine. I have a T118, but will not try to influence your decision one way or another.

People have noted in various other threads dealing with choosing a piano that each instrument is unique. One T118 or UST9 will sound different from the next T118 or UST9. Make sure you actually play the one that is going to be delivered to you before putting your money down. This is important. When I was shopping for my first acoustic, I tried a number of pianos, including a T118. I didn't much care for the T118, preferring instead a larger (and more expensive) Pramberger. I couldn't afford the Pramberger, and in any event, both it and the T118 had been sold before I even tried them out. I kept looking. A few weeks later I went back to the same dealership and they had just taken delivery of another T118. This one sounded very different from the one I had tried previously, much more mellow and to my liking. I would not have been happy with the first T118 I played. I am very happy with the one I ended up buying.

Good luck with your purchase.

[Linked Image]

Currently working on: Suzuki Piano School, book 5, second half
M
OP Offline
M
The UST-9 was gone before I can get to the store to have another try, which made my decision much easier. I tried all the 3 T118 in Yamaha dealership as well as the P22 my potential teacher picked out for me(she picked out one P22 out of 3 P22 the other day, she didn't like T118 I guess only because she has a P22 in her office, and she said she is not familiar with T118, actually never heard of), and I kept playing CDE(probably drove everyone in the store crazy) on each of them. Picked out the T118 I like, and told the dealer she has to match the $3760 plus tax with delivery included offer she gave for M460, since they have the same MSRP. And she came back and agreed. will be delivered in a week.

Thanks everyone. Again, this is one of the best forums I have ever been... you guys rock!

Last edited by marathon; 04/16/10 09:24 PM.
T
T
Congratulations on your purchase! (I paid way more than you did -- you got a good deal in my estimation.) Enjoy!

[Linked Image]

Currently working on: Suzuki Piano School, book 5, second half
J
J
You may want to note the serial # of the one you chose and make sure that's the one that is delivered.

Best of luck.

Baldwin M
Casio PX-330
Casio AP-45
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations, Marathon! Enjoy!

Nancy

Nancy Fanzlaw
Seamstress for the Band

www.FortePianoGallery.com
Forte' on Facebook

"The piano was God's gift to music." Lou Mason

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission