Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1419557 - 04/18/10 04:52 PM Tremolo and pain
greentime Offline

Hello everybody! I’m new to the piano world posting world, although I’ve been reading the posts for a while. Particularly I‘ ve been reading the post about the left hand of the pathetique. I am 31 years old, and last september 2009, I decided I would give it a try to bethoven’s pathetique 1st movement. You might think I’m crazy, I know, starting with such a difficult piece for starters.

Actuality im not entirely new to piano. I received some lessons when I was a child (9 or 10 years old). I don’t remember how long, maybe some months. Maybe that was why I was kind of confident I eventually could play such a piece, if I started to practice. I downloaded the score, and was using the separated hands method. Repeating and repeating small passages, two three notes, etcetera.

After 6 or 7 months of practice (2,3,4 times a week 45 – 60 minutes per practice) I can play the first part of the piece, that’s about the first two minutes, just after the first LH tremolo part. And I think I play it pretty well. In fact I’m very excited about it, and very happy too, because what started as mere wondering, its materializing. I always dreamed of playing this piece. Now im pretty confident I can finish it, and play it really well.

But I have one “little” problem. After some weeks of practicing the LH I started to feel some king of a little pain on the wrist. I did some google search and think its ulnar sided wrist pain. Because Is at the ulna (the bone of the outer part of the arm) at the level of the wrist, or the Styloid process, I don’t know, I’m not a doctor. I just felt a little pain on the wrist when rotating it. I stopped playing for about two months, the pain was gone after a couple of weeks i guess, i dont really remember. Anyway, i started to practice this last week, although I modified my tremolo position for the LH. But still im starting to feel a little bit of pain at the wrist. I guess im still doin it the wrong way, or better than before but not entirely safe.

What im focusing in now is to vary the position of hand while doing the tremolo just a little bit nothing extreme, I just vary the position from the wrist held low to wrist held high to relieve some fatigue. (imitating this girl here )

I’m also starting to pay attention to my shoulder, and the rest of my body, it should not be tense and I think it should be “down”. Also I’d like to try some dropping motion with the arm, like suggested at the “the left hand of the pathetique” thread when Brendan advises “a fluid, continuous up-down motion at the rate of one "drop" per bar […] one "drop" per beat..Down,up,up,up..Down,up,up,up..etc.” Also I read somewhere im supposed to move more my fingers and not so much my wrist.
I guess, what I want to know dear piano lovers, is: am I injured already? Can the pain disappear if I learn to play it safely? Should I get a teacher? Do you have any other advice on how to play it?

Thanks in advanced! Sorry 4 my lousy English.

Greentime

Edited by greentime (04/18/10 05:00 PM)

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1419559 - 04/18/10 04:58 PM Re: Tremolo and pain [Re: greentime]
casinitaly Online   content

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Your English is not lousy!
I had problems with tension in my right arm a few weeks after I started playing - my teacher advised me to CUT BACK immediately, to rest the arm. She suggested a maximum of 15 minutes a day and she gave me exercises to do. These are the "drop arm " exercises you can find many examples of them on the net.

My teacher warned me that if I didn't rest the arm, and learn how to relax, I could do long-term serious damage.

Try resting and relaxing and I would suggest that if you don't feel an improvement very soon you probably want to see a doctor.

#1419565 - 04/18/10 05:05 PM Re: Tremolo and pain [Re: casinitaly]
greentime Offline

Ill guess, ill cut the tremolo excercises so this little pain dissapears, and then start again with some changes, like the drop arm to see what happens. Wish me luck.

Thanks

#1419792 - 04/19/10 02:38 AM Re: Tremolo and pain [Re: greentime]
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
I don't think the passage's speed requires any rotation. Drop and Flop on finger 5 each beat. Catch the thumb's note on the way up. Here's a video illustrating how to do 'down' notes:

#1419813 - 04/19/10 04:06 AM Re: Tremolo and pain [Re: keyboardklutz]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
greentime - you should definitely get a teacher before 'pushing' yourself physically.

If you continue to have pain, please seek medical advice. You need a doctor or a physiotherapist.

Pushing yourself physically will always cause some discomfort as fingers stretch and muscles are challenged. But the wrist is very intricate (I know, I've had problems) and can get injured very easily.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1419896 - 04/19/10 09:21 AM Re: Tremolo and pain [Re: ten left thumbs]
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
Kreisler has this thread in the Pianist Corner FAQ section.

However, my guess is the piece is probably a little too difficult for you right now. If you're getting any pain, you should put it aside, especially if you don't have a teacher to guide you.

Play something a little easier. There's tons of great music out there, and the Pathetique will still be there when you're ready to take it on.

#1419916 - 04/19/10 10:00 AM Re: Tremolo and pain [Re: Phlebas]
greentime Offline

Phlebas: Im also practicing the 2nd movement wich is easier, i mean, less demanding phiscally. And the love theme from the cinema paradiso movie.

I really would hate to put aside the 1st mov of the pathetique, what if i just keep practicing at a slower phase, i mean with less stress, les impact and trying to correct, upgrade or change my body movements and position?

I defeniteley will seek a teacher. I need someone who tells me how can i practice this tremolo slow, with less impact and gradually be able to do it faster and better. That is what i would like.

Keyboardklutz: cant see your video. Maybe its my browser.

#1419917 - 04/19/10 10:00 AM Re: Tremolo and pain [Re: Phlebas]
greentime Offline

Sorry if i appear too stubborn.

I want to clarify the consequences of this statement: "this piece is probably a little too difficult for you right now"

I know it is.

Of course the tremolo has only two notes. The problem is that is a repeating pattern. and If repeated incorrectly it could get anyone injured. I now realize that.

So two questions appears in my mind: should i try to practice it differently, less stressful? or should i try to avoid it entirely?

In case the answer for the second question is yes. Then another question emerges: what other excercise could i do, in order to conquer the tremolo?

:=)

Edited by greentime (04/19/10 10:23 AM)

#1420010 - 04/19/10 12:56 PM Re: Tremolo and pain [Re: greentime]
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
If you can watch youtube vids it should be fine. The video lives at http://www.youtube.com/isstip. And by the way, done sensibly, I don't see why you shouldn't study whatever you wish.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
83 registered (acortot, anotherscott, BarryDMD, BearLake, barbaram, 23 invisible), 961 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75979 Members
42 Forums
157135 Topics
2307731 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
? 4 CA95/CS10 owners - soundboard vs external speakers
by markmarz
08/29/14 05:55 AM
Might play in hotel lounges/bars!!
by Pover
08/29/14 04:18 AM
a video of Alexander Siloti's daughter playing the piano
by Michael Sayers
08/28/14 08:26 PM
Kimball spinet neoprene lifter nuts
by dschwoyer
08/28/14 08:22 PM
Looking for a re-built Steinway or Steinwas
by ColinD
08/28/14 07:29 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission