Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1420817 - 04/20/10 08:54 PM Cakewalk ma-15d vs "computer" 2.1 speakers?
fe2008 Offline

Loc: Brazil
Being the cakewalk ma-15d studio monitor (or similars) at the same price or a little more expensive than those computers 2.1 systems (logitech z-2300), what's the advantage of the studio monitors?

http://www.cakewalk.com/products/hardware/default.aspx?Prod=MA-15D

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#1420870 - 04/20/10 10:19 PM Re: Cakewalk ma-15d vs "computer" 2.1 speakers? [Re: fe2008]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
The Logitech speakers ...
1. ... are meant to work with desktop computers. As such, they need only service a small area, like a desktop.
2. The sound is meant for computing and gaming. Big bass and other colorations.
3. The market is cost sensitive. These are inexpensive.

Studio monitors are ...
1. ... also meant to service a restricted area. But they can service a bigger area (like a studio booth) because they're generally larger (both speakers and amps).
2. The sound is meant for critical evaluation in a music production setting. Better quality, without the "consumer-oriented coloration".
3. The market is not quite so cost sensitive. Higher price.

Caveat. Some of this might not apply to the units (Cakewalk) that you mentioned. These sell for a mere $180. That's pretty cheap for monitors, and I wouldn't expect too much from them. It wouldn't be fair to compare them with "real" monitors ... ones that generally cost much more than that for just ONE speaker.

Then again, you're only hoping to compare them to the $150 Logitech item. For that, you'll have to try them out for yourself, if possible.

When person A says they like the Logitechs, and some other distant person B says they like the Cakewalks, what conclusion can you reach? None, I think. I don't know a reliable way to compare speakers, except by setting them up side-by-side and taking a listen.

#1420987 - 04/21/10 01:30 AM Re: Cakewalk ma-15d vs "computer" 2.1 speakers? [Re: MacMacMac]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
When person A says they like the Logitechs, and some other distant person B says they like the Cakewalks, what conclusion can you reach? None, I think. I don't know a reliable way to compare speakers, except by setting them up side-by-side and taking a listen.

One question: What is the purpose of these? Are you replacing the built-in speakers of some digital piano. If so it's pointless unless you actually buy speakers that are much better than what you have.

I think it was said right above, you are compareing low end studio monitors with a computer multi-media speaker. I'd go for the studio monitors. What you mostly care about with piano is the center of the keyboard. Monitors will handle this range well. The 2.1 system is designed for movies and games and foes the ends of the keyboard well.

You Do have to audition speakers. you can't just buy them based on specs. Bring your own CDs or iPod to the store and listen. Best to listen to solo piano music. Close you eyes and try to think if it ssounds like a piano or sounds like speakers.

#1421009 - 04/21/10 02:28 AM Re: Cakewalk ma-15d vs "computer" 2.1 speakers? [Re: ChrisA]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: ChrisA
Are you replacing the built-in speakers of some digital piano. If so it's pointless unless you actually buy speakers that are much better than what you have.
That should be the case here. He has a CLP-330. The speakers are not too swift. Both of the stated choices are likely better than the native Clav speakers. Still, for the money there are better choices.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
73 registered (*windowlicker*, anotherscott, AndrewJCW, BarryDMD, Abby Pianoman, 19 invisible), 1160 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75908 Members
42 Forums
156882 Topics
2305155 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What kind of fingering should I be using for these phrases?
by Jormungandr
08/23/14 03:04 AM
Mason & Hamlin BB Long distance purchase a few questions
by bigun
08/23/14 02:26 AM
MY NEW PIANO
by Jvmvidela
08/23/14 02:14 AM
Here's a Paranoid Question:
by Paul678
08/23/14 01:19 AM
Are you must always make A4= 440?
by Maximillyan
08/23/14 12:55 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission